Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Just bought a ton of cards includeing the 88 Topps from Michael Wynne! I sent him a message and then conducted some offline business. He is a really good guy and has a bunch of great stuff. I told him he should take a look at the forum so hopefully he pops in. I think if we could all get together and share our experiences building our Ripken sets we could probably send Joe Rogan a message and make a great case for getting a column in the SMR for Ripken.
  • Options
    Just did a lot of work on my registry. Hope everyone enjoys it.

(BTW I'm back to #4!)
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweet!! I can't believe you got the '88!! I don't think you'll be dropping back out of 4th any time soon. Keep it up!! You should start a Master Set, Collector's Issue, and Rookie set while you're at it. Not sure if you have any other Ripken cards that don't appear in the Basic Set.

It's been very hard for me to stay away from picking up all of the sweet Ripkens out on the bay right now. Saving up for a wedding SUCKS! I'm just trying to fill the gaps in my basic set right now. For the rest of the cards I'm missing, I've gathered them all up in raw form, and I'm subbing them myself. I'll let the grades fall where they may, I'll upgrade later. I just want to reach 100% complete. I'm so close I can taste it! image
  • Options
    I was really up in the air about buying the '88. I told myself that if there were no bids on it come closing time I would bid the minimum and if I get it then so be it. The way I looked at it was this:

*As hard as it is to believe 1988 was 20 years ago, so regardless of how mass produced these cards were they are starting to get dated.
    *I have been going to card shows buying boxes of 88 for cheap, but all I have to show for it is (4) 5,000ct boxes of trash because out of each box I pull on average only 1-2 Ripkens. However of the 40 or so raw cards I have, only 5 have been worthy of submitting. Of those 5 I submitted I got back (1) 7, (3) 8's, and (1) 9. <---GARBAGE!!!
    *The pop on a PSA 10 is 10 right now, and I have seen about 4 of these on EBAY over the course of the last year. Add on the ones in peoples sets like Michael Wynne and that cuts down on the amount that are still available.
    *I can see this as being 1 tier down from the 85 Topps and 93 Pinnacle cards in difficulty to obtain in high grade, and would hate for it jump in price to a rediculous amount when I could have spent what I did.
    *All the Topps cards seem to be in high demand right now. The fact that some of the late 90's cards went for $100+ recently on the Bay still blows my mind!

The reason I haven't started any of the other Ripken sets is to try and focus on finishing the Basic set. If I didn't I would be buying all sorts of stuff and would probably never finish it. I do have cards that aren't on the Basic set though. A couple were bought on accident, others I thought were really cool looking and decided to jump on them. For instance I like cards that depict the night he broke the record i.e. '96 Score and the '96 Topps Tribute card. I planned on starting the others after I finish the Basic set but probably not until.
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    Yea, it's tough to pay that much for a "modern" card, but in this case ('88 Topps), you made a good decision. That is an extremely difficult card. Out of the 10 out there, I can assure you that most, if not all, are in personal collections.
  • Options
    Including the one I just purchased there are 4 accounted for on just the Basic Topps Set alone!
  • Options
    I was hoping you bought the '88 Topps card using that Live.com discount! You could have bought it for less than the low bid price. Crap.

Did you notice that '88 Topps card he sold to you was the same card he bought on ebay for $125-ish? Same number. I wonder why he did that... I mean besides to make a small profit on it. I just wish I could view his Basic Set. I wonder why he has it set to private.
  • Options
    From my experience dealing with him he sounds like a real decent guy. He's probably just selling some of his cards to get some money for the holiday season. I didn't know that about the 88 I bought from him though. Regardless it was a pretty good deal to buy it and "flip it" for a profit. I'd probably do the same if I had the capital.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I sold an 88 topps psa 10 on ebay in sept and only got $52 for it image
  • Options
    Holy crap... I don't know how I missed that one.
  • Options

<< <i>I sold an 88 topps psa 10 on ebay in sept and only got $52 for it image >>

Are you talking about the Ripken / Eddie Murray Team Leaders card #51? or the Ripken Base card #650?

The base card sells for a premium due to the fact that it fits in all 5 Ripken Player sets, most notably the Basic Topps Set, where as the Ripken / Murray Team Leaders card only fits in the Master Set and the Master Topps Set. Case in point, I personally am currently only working on the Ripken Basic Set. The Ripken / Murray card doesn't fit in my set so there is no need to go after it. Don't get me wrong I'd love to own it but as far as money I'm not exactly on an unlimited budget.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are you talking about the Ripken / Eddie Murray Team Leaders card #51? or the Ripken Base card #650?....... >>

You Ripken guys were asleep
  • Options
    F me in the goat A, that sucks! Well, I'm sure I saw that when it was up for auction, I just wasn't in the market to spend that much for a Pop 10 PSA 10. I'm still not. I search for "Ripken PSA 10" about once every 2 hours, every day, for like the past 3 years. That would have been a nice investment though! crazy...
  • Options
    I swear I check the listings at least like 20-30 times a day and I never saw that card up! To think I could have paid 1/2 of what I did kills me! image Honestly though I would buy it again without any second thoughts or hesitation.
  • Options
    I think I'm about to go on bread and water rations for a few weeks so that I can free up some money to afford either a Topps or Fleer RC in PSA 10. My set has really picked up a lot of steam over the last 2 months. My goal is to have 66% complete by my birthday on Feb 2.

Update: I won the Fleer PSA 10 that just closed on Ebay. I'll scan and add when it comes in, along with the 88 Topps that I kinda jumped the gun on putting into the set. Maybe I'll pick up the Topps RC with my tax return this year.
  • Options
    I'm selling a low pop card for the Ripken Basic Set. It's the 1995 Select #1. It's only graded PSA 8.5, but it's only 1 of 2 ever graded by PSA. I sent both of them in, and they both came back PSA 8.5 (whatever PSA). Anyway, I'm keeping one for my set, and here is the other one, in case anyone is interested. Thanks!

1995 Select #1
  • Options
    I was randomly looking through some of the player sets on the registry just now and I think I found a reacurring trend that might turn into a rather large roadblock in my quest for a complete set in all 10's. 1988 Leaf might be one of the worst quality cards required to build this set. Here's a couple numbers for you...

Between Ripken, Ryan, Bonds, Clemens, Schmidt, Mattingly, Magwire, and Roberto Alomar's RC, and Mark Grace's RC there have been 201 cards graded so far, which is exactly half of all the total cards ever graded. Yet between all of those there have only been 17 PSA 10's! 7 of those 10's are Magwire and 4 are Mattingly which means that between the rest of those there are only 6 10's with nobody having more then 2.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been contemplating for quite some time of starting the master set. I have always been a huge Ripken fan and I am at a point where I need a new set to focus on. If you guys have some extra PSA 10s for sale, let me know.

Bob
  • Options
    Dang it, Kevin O'Connor just updated his set for the first time since 5/9/07 with nine cards, all of them 10s. He's getting closer to me, I better get to steppin'!!
  • Options
    Here we go again!

Every Ripken Collector's Dream

One day I'll own one of these but for now I need to focus my attention towards getting a PSA 10 Topps RC
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw that one. He's got a ton of refractors out there. That card is pretty low on my want list right now. I'd rather buy all RC 10s, all Minor League and the Elite before I would think about that one. If anything, I would buy that one raw and sub it myself. It'll be an interesting watch for sure.
  • Options
    I tried putting a bid in on the Topps RC that ended last night but right when I went to confirm my bid on it I got redirected to my login page image and by the time I got logged in the bidding had ended! There's another one ending in a couple days that I hopefully will have more success with.

I just put in a bid of $100 on the Refractor. I know it isn't gonna win it, I just felt like hiking the price a bit.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to start posting pics of some of my Ripkens on here to try and liven up the forum a bit.
  • Options
    Scans are always great to see! Personally, I don't really have anything that spectacular. I have more quantity than quality. My Basic set is only weighted at 9.44. More than half are 10s though, but nothing like you and Wynne who have 10.00! I did take a pic of all of my graded and raw Ripkens together not too long ago. Here's what 300 graded, and over 3000 raw Ripken cards looks like, lol

• Options
    Yeah I need to start playing a little catch up. I only have like 115 graded Ripkens and probably around 500 or so raw ones. I think I might start buying raw lots off the Bay and sift through them to see if there's anything worth grading. I know with the amount I used to show off all my Ripkens as a kid there probably isn't much that would grade out.
  • Options
    It was expensive enough to get them all into penny sleeves inside top loaders. I acquired most of mine from card shows and lots on ebay when I was younger. Now, it's mostly graded cards from ebay, or cards I pull from packs.
  • Options
    Here's a couple cards I bought off Michael Wynne. Didn't fit into my Basic set, but they caught my eye so I grabbed them.

• Options
    Those are cool card, I always enjoyed the SPx sets. Here are mine, I only have a 9 in the 1997:

imageimage
  • Options
    I love all the Tribute cards that came out in 96 after Cal broke the record in 95.

imageimage
  • Options
    Great Ripken cards! You guys are way more adventurous than me with the whole master set thing - that's quite a challenge. I collect primarily the basic Topps with a few others sprinkled in. Here are a couple of my favorite autos...both purchased raw.

• Options
    Sweeeeeeet!! I never got into the game used cards, but I do like the autos!! I don't have any of my own, but maybe some day.
  • Options

<< <i>Great Ripken cards! You guys are way more adventurous than me with the whole master set thing - that's quite a challenge. I collect primarily the basic Topps with a few others sprinkled in. Here are a couple of my favorite autos...both purchased raw. >>

Actually I only collect the Basic set also, so I don't spend TOO much money buying everything I see. I only buy oddball stuff that catches my eye really. Like I said above, I love all the tribute cards so I'll buy them up if I see them. Which set are you in the Basic registry?
  • Options
    Hey Jeff...

'88 Topps on Ebay!

You might have to put the wedding on hold for a minute. Michael Wynne is selling another one!
  • Options
    Yeah, saw that one, he must own all of them!! lol

I did buy a Pop 1 1998 Fleer PSA 10 from him though, good stuff!!

====EDIT====

Okay, this upsets me a little. As it turns out, I think PSA mislabeled MY PSA 9 that I have in my Basic Set. The one in my Basic Set is labeled "1998 Fleer", and the one I just got is labeled "1998 Fleer Vintage '63". They're the same card, but the PSA 9 I have is mislabeled. CRAP!! So not only did I not need the one I just bought, NOW I have to fix the one I have existing! DOUBLE CRAP!! Plus, the PSA 10 is a Pop 3, not a Pop 1 like the 1998 Freer REGULAR is. Oh well... here's some pics:

imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah I've definitely had issues like that before. I accidently bought a 92 UD with a Gold hologram that didn't fit my set. Also an 84 Topps Team Leaders card, and a 96 Pinnacle card that wasn't the one on the set I guess.
  • Options
    Which set are you in the Basic registry?

#4 on the Basic Topps..
  • Options
    Ok so you're the owner of one of the PSA 10 '88 Topps cards. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it, and when did you acquire it?
  • Options
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
  • Options
    Sorry about that last blank post. It has been a while since I been on here. I am not a member(I don't think) anymore but I am breaking into my 2000 Skybox Blue E-xceptional set. The Ripken is a PSA 10. Please forgive me for the spam. I wasn't able to log in and contact each one of you separately.
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
  • Options

<< <i>Ok so you're the owner of one of the PSA 10 '88 Topps cards. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for it, and when did you acquire it? >>

Just over $50 on eBay (the auction was discussed in pg 6 of this thread). I was lucky I guess.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see who gets the one that's up right now.
  • Options
    Alright I think my Christmas shopping is finally over! Just got a PSA 10 Topps RC and also an '86 Fleer in PSA 10. So I think I'm gonna throw in the towel for a bit, or at least until I replenish my savings. This was a huge milestone for my set and hopefully I'll have as much luck next year as I have this year.
  • Options
    Nice job K!
  • Options
  • Options
    SMR lists the card value at $700. Typically prices listed are a bit high, so I'd say that the close price on the card was fairly accurate.
  • Options
    Not suprised in the least, the 1993 Topps Finest Refractors are a highly sought after set. Check out how many set buildiers are working on it in the PSA Registry. It is right up there in popularity with 1989 UD, 1990 Leaf, 1991 Topps Desert Storm as far as modern sets are concerned. Nothing since has been as popular for set building. The 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks might someday get more popular for set builders, but some of its "hot" players are cooling off, Francouer, Granderson, Willis.

Back to my point, competion between set builders and Ripken player collectors can get pretty fierce.
  • Options
    The price doesn't surprise me, I've seen this same card sell in the past, it's just crazy to see it. What I could buy for $600 instead of that card.
  • Options

<< <i>Not suprised in the least, the 1993 Topps Finest Refractors are a highly sought after set. Check out how many set buildiers are working on it in the PSA Registry. It is right up there in popularity with 1989 UD, 1990 Leaf, 1991 Topps Desert Storm as far as modern sets are concerned. Nothing since has been as popular for set building. The 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Picks might someday get more popular for set builders, but some of its "hot" players are cooling off, Francouer, Granderson, Willis. >>

You definitely have to add '92 Bowman to that mix. Arguably the best modern day set out there. With all the HOF RC's like Rivera, Piazza, Pedro, and Manny to name a few, make this an all time classic set.
  • Options
    This is what I would have bought for that money: 1981 TCMA PSA 10
  • Options
    KNAPPKNAPP Posts: 654 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a great collection. Please check out www.sportcollectorsdisplay.com Feel free to list your best items. It only takes a few minutes.
    the KNAPP collection - specializing in boxing and wrestling
    Always looking to buy or trade for Andre the Giant autographs
    psacard.com/psasetregistry/non-sports/famous-personage/andre-giant-master-set/alltimeset/180400