Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Cal Ripken Jr. Set Registry

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    If that was a card that I didn't have yet (rather than a upgrade), then I would have thought about it. Not for a card with a pop of 14. It is more fun to submit them yourself, unless you can get one for less than what it costs to submit them yourself.
  • KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    So I started scanning all my Ripkens last night. I think I'm gonna try to have everything from the 80's posted tonight.
    How do you go about acquiring all your cards. Shows, shops, online, something else? I'm trying to find a better way to fill in the blanks of my set rather than wait for something I need to pop on Ebay and then get into a bidding war for it.
    Most of it is ebay. Back in the day I would go to shows and local card shops and buy them out of their raw Ripkens, but all of my graded cards have come from either ebay or submitting them myself.
  • RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    if anyone needs a 86 leaf ripken psa 10 for $50 dlvd, lemme know.

<< <i>if anyone needs a 86 leaf ripken psa 10 for $50 dlvd, lemme know. >>

Had you written this 1 week ago I would have jumped all over it. I was the guy that just won the last one that was up on Ebay. Jeff might like to upgrade his though. If you have other PSA 10's I'd be interested. My set is the 5th Finest.

Thanks
    -K
    Actually it was yours I just bought. I saw that the pop jumped up 3 about a month ago and I was waiting for them to hit the bay. Good doing business with ya. I know I have in the past. Hopefully we will again in the future too.

<< <i>Actually it was yours I just bought. I saw that the pop jumped up 3 about a month ago and I was waiting for them to hit the bay. Good doing business with ya. I know I have in the past. Hopefully we will again in the future too. >>

Thank you. I really appreciate it.
    I will have most ripken basic 10s available before the end of the year.
    working on the under pop 5 pre 1998's right now.
    Yep, I've purchased many-a-card off of you too. Great cards and service! Thank you for the offer on the '86 Leaf, but I'm going to give my raw ones a try first. I know I won't have any luck, but it's worth a try! I check the bay about a dozen times a day, so I'll see any of your new auctions pop up. Thank you for supplying my Registry!
    Just posted pics of all my Ripkens from the 80's. I'd have done them all but I was tired of editing photos.
    Sweet 10s!!
    I'm watching the price on the '93 Finest Refractor that went up. Obviously a card I would love to own, but would rather use all the money for other stuff.
    Yeah, that card always goes crazy, especially in a 10. I have no real desire to own that one yet. Fun to watch though!
    Just got the email sent from BJ Searls (PSA Set Registry), she was asking everyone's opinion about adding the 1982 Topps Traded Ripken to the Rookie Set. Here's the email:

Hi Everyone,

Recently, we were asked to add the 1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken card to the rookie set. The card is not recognized by several encyclopedias as being an official rookie card due to the fact that there was a 1982 Topps card issued for Ripken that same year. However, research shows that many collectors do consider the card one of four rookie cards for Ripken.

Generally, we do not poll for additions to the rookie sets in the Set Registry because the compositions that are pulled from sports encyclopedias are indisputable, but Ripken seems to be a special circumstance. Therefore, I’m putting this to a vote. Please vote either yes or no:

YES – Include the 1982 Topps Traded #98T in the Cal Ripken rookie set

NO – Leave the set as is.

Thank you!

Of course, I voted YES. How does everyone else feel about adding it?
  • Hi Ripken Master Set Collectors,
    Anyone interested in two PSA 9 Ripkens I have:

1993 Select Stars #15
    1992 Triple Play Gallery of Stars #GS-11

Each for $7 plus $3 shipping or both for $16 with shipping

PM me if interested
    Thanks,
    John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Available in the link below (for master set):

Auctions ends Monday night October 6th.

THIS is why I'm subbing my own '88 Topps Ripkens... MAN!!
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>THIS is why I'm subbing my own '88 Topps Ripkens... MAN!! >>

Good luck....I went through about 3,000 1988 Topps Schmidts before I found my 10....and wasted a ton of money on submission fees for examples that came back as PSA 9. Yes, 10s go for a lot -- but to think that it is necessarily easier and cheaper to submit yourself....not always a valid assumption.

Just my $0.02
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna limit myself to three cards, if that doesn't work, I'll just bid on the next one that pops up on ebay.

<< <i>Just got the email sent from BJ Searls (PSA Set Registry), she was asking everyone's opinion about adding the 1982 Topps Traded Ripken to the Rookie Set. Here's the email:

Hi Everyone,

Recently, we were asked to add the 1982 Topps Traded Cal Ripken card to the rookie set. The card is not recognized by several encyclopedias as being an official rookie card due to the fact that there was a 1982 Topps card issued for Ripken that same year. However, research shows that many collectors do consider the card one of four rookie cards for Ripken.

Generally, we do not poll for additions to the rookie sets in the Set Registry because the compositions that are pulled from sports encyclopedias are indisputable, but Ripken seems to be a special circumstance. Therefore, I’m putting this to a vote. Please vote either yes or no:

YES – Include the 1982 Topps Traded #98T in the Cal Ripken rookie set

NO – Leave the set as is.

Thank you!

Of course, I voted YES. How does everyone else feel about adding it? >>

She added the 1982 Topps Traded to the Rookie Set Registry, to whom it may concern.
    Yeah that Elite sig is beautiful. I asked the guy what his reserve bid was set at and he replied: "At least $1000"

I'd love to own the card but it's way out of my price range. Although I did finally brake down and buy one of the Rookies in PSA 10. Worked a pretty good deal with a guy, so I had to get it.
    Which one did you get? I didn't see it in your registry. I'll be getting one soon I hope. I want to use the live.com discount on one.
    I got the Donruss RC. As soon as I recieve it in the mail I'm going to scan it and add it to my registry. I don't like adding things in until I have them "in-hand" for the simple fact that if I get stiffed or the seller has multiple versions of the card and I don't get the serial# that I think I'm getting. It's just one of those things I guess.

I havn't been on the forum in a while because work has been insane for the last month. I had 5 years worth of neglected paperwork dropped on me to straighten out. I'll set alarms on my cell just to alert me of items ending on ebay but other then that havn't been online much.
  • Hi Ripken collectors,

1993 Select Stars #15 Sold on Ebay

Anyone want the 1992 Triple Play Cal Ripken Jr. Gallery of Stars #GS-11 PSA 9.

First 50 cents plus $3.50 shipping takes it. Paypal OK. PM me.

Thanks,
    John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Met Cal today at a show in Northern Virginia. Gracious guy, and when I mentioned that I worked in Baltimore for almost 20 years we ended up having a nice chat about mutual friends. I had forgotten how big he is - I'm 6'5", and he is at least 6'4". Nice guy.
    I saw both of those last night. It's getting absolutely rediculous on EBAY. There was definitely no reason for those 2 cards to sell for what they did. It seems to be all the Topps cards going for big money lately. There's an 88 Topps PSA 10 up now for almost $100 with a couple days left. I bet it goes for close to $200 which is getting close to Rookie prices. These buyers are seriously ruining the market.
    I bid on both of those cards, but my max bid was around $35 each. As for the 1988 Topps, it's EXTREMELY hard to get a 10. I just subbed my BEST version of that card, out of over 40 raw 1988 Topps Ripkens, and it came back a 7! A SEVEN!! WTF?? Looking at it under a loop and everything! It's crazy.
    MAN, I wish this thing had a Buy It Now!! lol

1988 Topps NON PSA 10 - $25.00 plus $9.16 s/h

EDIT: After I emailed him, he fixed the listing (took PSA 10 out of the item title) and the shipping cost. Still $25 though. lol
    Are you just trying to upgrade your set or are you still working towards finishing it now?
    Both. I'm trying to upgrade what I can, and finish it. I've been sending in my own raws because I'm tired of waiting for them to pop up on ebay.
    Yeah Ebay has turned rediculous. Cheap cards are just going for absurd amounts of money. It's getting to the point where I can't afford to buy and add to my set. Although I did just pick up a whole bunch of cards that I will be adding as soon as I get them in. I actually think that I'll be bumping up to #4 on the list here once they all come in. If I don't I'll be just a card or two under. Plus I am putting together a lot of cards to send in for grading. Hopefully I get lucky. Havn't really in the past considering I only keep the 10's.
    Holy crap, rojik1 bought it!

What a card!

<< <i>Holy crap, rojik1 bought it!

What a card! >>

I am not really a collector but that is one card i always liked and couldnt dream of owning as a kid in 1992.

I will probably just put it in my ebay store for a ridiculous price and hope it never sells image
    Yeah, that's one of my "When I grow up, I'll own that card" cards. Nice grab! I hope you used the live.com cash back feature!
    I just got the 97 Fleer in the mail but it's holder was cracked on the back side. I can't see any damage to the card so I'm gonna resubmit it. I contacted the guy I bought it from and asked for a $10 compensation to cover the cost of having to send it back in, or I'd have to leave him negative feedback. He basically said it wasn't his problem and he didn't appreciate a threat to his feedback? So I lit him up. I swear sellers are getting more ignorent by the day on Ebay. As much money as they make you think they'd comp some money when their product isn't up to snuff.
    Who did you buy it from? You can PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. What did he mail it in? I've never had a slab crack in the mail, but I hear it happen a lot.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>I just got the 97 Fleer in the mail but it's holder was cracked on the back side. I can't see any damage to the card so I'm gonna resubmit it. I contacted the guy I bought it from and asked for a $10 compensation to cover the cost of having to send it back in, or I'd have to leave him negative feedback. He basically said it wasn't his problem and he didn't appreciate a threat to his feedback? So I lit him up. I swear sellers are getting more ignorent by the day on Ebay. As much money as they make you think they'd comp some money when their product isn't up to snuff. >>

Thanks for the neg, bro. Just to clarify, here's what happened.

1) I mail the card in a bubble mailer and wrap the card in bubble wrap. This is the same method I have used for eight years, and I have never had a single problem.

2) Buyer emails me, tells me the slab is cracked and that he's going to neg me if I don't send him $10.

3) I email back and tell him that I can't believe the slab cracked, given the care I took to ship it, and that I don't appreciate the threat to my feedback.

4) I send the buyer the $10 he requested.

5) Buyer negs me, and then-- get this-- lies in the feedback, declaring that I refused to refund him.

In case you're skeptical, Here's a link to my feedback page.

You're a real piece of work, Cub Scout. Thanks for the business.

Oh-- and before this comes up as a potential issue, let me make it clear that I refunded him at around 6 pm EST today, and I got negged at around 10:00 tonight. So I don't want to hear any B.S. about how I refunded you after you negged me.

• CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Wow. Welcome to my blocked bidder list K-hole.

Do everybody a favor and remove yourself from ebay. You're a nuisance and the way you go about your business is careless and idiotic. Congratulations of having no chance of winning any of the 50 Ripkens I have at PSA right now.
    *tiptoes out of this one*
    Update: Adam and I discussed this matter together, and we came to an agreement on how to resolve it. He has proven himself to be a stand-up guy, and I would have no reservations about conducting business with him in the future.

<< <i>Update: Adam and I discussed this matter together, and we came to an agreement on how to resolve it. He has proven himself to be a stand-up guy, and I would have no reservations about conducting business with him in the future. >>

Thank You. I'm glad we could come to terms and work out our differences. I think we both over-reacted to the extent of openly attacking each others good reputation and standing. I would have no problems conducting business with you in the future.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Eh, I'm not convinced.
    If you want to see a scan of the card I'll be more than happy to post it when I get home from work today.
    On a side note I finally moved up to #4 on the Basic registry. Been a long time coming. I'll probably get stuck there for a while too since the next rung on the ladder will be about 40 cards from now and prices continue to soar.
    Nice, keep it up!

I feel like I'm chasing my shadow with Michael Wynne secretly pulling away from me. With his set being set to private, it doesn't seem to indicate when he adds cards, his rating just goes up. He's added 3 cards this month. 90.34% complete, all 10s. That's just crazyness. I haven't added a card in over a month, just been upgrading a lot.
    Well my 24 hrs at #4 were fun...
    Mr. Wynne is selling some of his FREAKING AWESOME low pop Ripkens on ebay right now. MAN, I wish I wasn't saving cash for my wedding right now.

1985 OPC PSA 10 Pop 1

1984 Drake's PSA 10 Pop 1

1988 Bazooka PSA 10 (I have fond memories of this card)

sweet...