Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just looking but there are only a handful of buffalo sets for sale on all of Ebay.
    It looks like prices are knocking on the 4K door. >>

I'm glad that I held some. I just got back 14 fractional buff proofs from NGC, 12 PF70s and 2 PF69s. Low standards, high quality production, luck or some of each. They just seem to keep going up.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Hillary Clinton coin might be a good one to get.

She's a pretty divisive figure-- some people love her, some people hate her.

That's a coin that will probably sell out, and could end up with a low surviving population -- I can imagine some people buying just to melt/deface it. >>

Do they plan to realease FS coins with living first laides? I thought that coins are not released with living figures on them.
  • Options

<< <i>My 8 burnished 2008 W AGE 1/4 OZ arrived today. These had been ordered since Jan. 29 2008. >>

If the AGE 1/4 oz. mintage stays at 9,200 pieces, What do you think these will sell for 1 to 2 years down the road?image
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These quarters (and all the AGE uncs. for that matter) were on sale FOREVER. We saw them "sell out" many times, only to have them pop back up at a different price. Pretty much the whole time we were well aware of the mintage being low. If you wanted one, you had all year and the some to get in before they were pulled.
    Is anyone truely excited about these???
    To me (just my opinion), with all of the new "kings" of 2008, this one will be off the radar for years and years. Too much going on. I think the platinums will be appreciated more for their contemporary design and not the pattern of a former issue, St. Gaudens.
    Will there be a genuine interest in the AGE fractionals in the years to come? Maybe with the cancellation of the series. I just cant get revved up about 'em.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    If I recall correctly, the 1/4 W AGE's had quality problems on the reverse. Perhaps many were returned and that's why they reappeared for sale?
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be a genuine interest in the AGE fractionals in the years to come?

I think so. But, I also think that to expect a near-term spike in price, sales, and popularity is a stretch. There's been too much other stuff going on with Modern Bullion lately, but that doesn't mean it won't get sorted out in the long run. The fractional AGEs don't require as much capital to collect, most of them don't have huge premiums, and of course - they are gold. Most people collect within a budget, and AGEs will fit various sized-budgets and fill a need for gold accumulation at the same time.

Having said that, a short-term flipper's mentality in this economic environment can dig you a hole pretty fast. It will take a few years to even assess the demand for these new issues, imo. In those few years, gold can do just about anything and what gold does can affect whether or not people are even collecting coins, let alone driving a particular issue. So yes, I think people have a genuine interest in collecting these because they are still more affordable than classic gold, and they are a reasonable way to own gold in smaller increments.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>These quarters (and all the AGE uncs. for that matter) were on sale FOREVER. We saw them "sell out" many times, only to have them pop back up at a different price. Pretty much the whole time we were well aware of the mintage being low. If you wanted one, you had all year and the some to get in before they were pulled.
    Is anyone truely excited about these???
    To me (just my opinion), with all of the new "kings" of 2008, this one will be off the radar for years and years. Too much going on. I think the platinums will be appreciated more for their contemporary design and not the pattern of a former issue, St. Gaudens.
    Will there be a genuine interest in the AGE fractionals in the years to come? Maybe with the cancellation of the series. I just cant get revved up about 'em. >>

Of course, the Jackie Robinson $5 Unc. was on sale for ever, and even extended and additional 6 months. It was not a great looking coin....and look at it now.

Have you guys and gals noticed what the raw 2008 W plat unc sets are going for now?? One went for $3700 last night! I noticed them going for $3400+ consistantly. If ONLY I had listened to some of the advice on this forum and not sold 3 sets for $2600 and many singles for just over cost. Argh! Whats the deal with this?? Are folks confusing these with the Proofs? The #s (I know that they are sales numbers and don't count returns) don't seem to support these levels. I'd be suprised if most ebay buyers were even aware of the issues surrounding the numbers. Unreal.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>Of course, the Jackie Robinson $5 Unc. was on sale for ever, and even extended and additional 6 months. It was not a great looking coin....and look at it now.<<

The sales period for the Jackie Robinson was not extended, although for a time there was a proposal in Congress to do so. If I recall correctly, there were about 7,000 unsold Jackie unc. gold coins that were ultimately all melted.

>>Have you guys and gals noticed what the raw 2008 W plat unc sets are going for now?? . . . Are folks confusing these with the Proofs?<<

I think the price rise is from speculation that the final mintage numbers may be much lower than current figures, and substantially lower than the proofs.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>>>Of course, the Jackie Robinson $5 Unc. was on sale for ever, and even extended and additional 6 months. It was not a great looking coin....and look at it now.<<

The sales period for the Jackie Robinson was not extended, although for a time there was a proposal in Congress to do so. If I recall correctly, there were about 7,000 unsold Jackie unc. gold coins that were ultimately all melted.

>>Have you guys and gals noticed what the raw 2008 W plat unc sets are going for now?? . . . Are folks confusing these with the Proofs?<<

I think the price rise is from speculation that the final mintage numbers may be much lower than current figures, and substantially lower than the proofs. >>

I was certain that I read that the sales period was extended for six months, but I may of course be wrong. Are you sure that it was not?

I can understand speculation that the numbers may be much lower than the current sales figures, but people are sure betting a lot on that with what these are selling for at present.

I'm not clear that the relative numbers vs. proof mintages are meaningful. The '06 Ws are far lower than the (formerly) king '04 proofs, yet they sold for far less.

Speaking of smoking '08 issues, look at recent sales prices of buff sets - both graded and raw. Imagine what they will be going for in a few years.
  • Options
    >>I was certain that I read that the sales period was extended for six months, but I may of course be wrong. Are you sure that it was not?<<

Yes, I was around at the time and actually owned a Jackie Robinson unc. $5 gold that I had bought from the Mint during the initial ordering period. (I later sold it, for considerably less than it's worth now.) There was a big controversy surrounding a proposed extension of the ordering period after the low sales number (slightly over 5,000) became widely known. I believe Coin World covered the issue in detail. One of the arguments against re-opening sales was that it would devalue the coins that had already been purchased within the stated ordering timeframe - in effect changing the rules after the game was over. Ultimately the ordering period was not extended.

• Options
    >>I'm not clear that the relative numbers vs. proof mintages are meaningful. The '06 Ws are far lower than the (formerly) king '04 proofs, yet they sold for far less.<<

The price difference between the 06 W burnished plats and the 04 W proof plats has been shrinking lately. I believe many of the hoards of the 06 have been disbursed, there are a lot fewer 06 w burnished on eBay now than previously. It will take time for hoards of the 08 W to likewise be disbursed. The 2006-2008 W burnished coins are now a self-contained collectible set, and once the final mintages are known, the 2008 W coins may turn out to be the keys. Speculation of this sort may be driving the price increases for the 2008 W burnished plats. (Plus, if the mintages are really lower than announced sales, that fact may be influencing the actual number of coins available in the secondary market.)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure where your data comes from on the proof 04W vs. 06W - not a lot of the former available in any case...Glad to have one of each anyway.

I think dispersion of the 06 is continuing but only slowly and that many players bought in at higher levels and don't want to let them go for losses.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone have 8-8-8 sets on backorder still? I have 2 sets ordered on 2/5 and they say In stock and Reserved but the cancel box is still there......any chance I will get them? >>

Sorry, none on order, but I'd take 3:1 odds that you'll get them. Let us know! >>

These are on the UPS truck for delivery this morning! Two more Buff's for my herd. I sure hope the Mint does these again this year, especially the fractionals.
  • Options

<< <i>>>I'm not clear that the relative numbers vs. proof mintages are meaningful. The '06 Ws are far lower than the (formerly) king '04 proofs, yet they sold for far less.<<

The price difference between the 06 W burnished plats and the 04 W proof plats has been shrinking lately. I believe many of the hoards of the 06 have been disbursed, there are a lot fewer 06 w burnished on eBay now than previously. It will take time for hoards of the 08 W to likewise be disbursed. The 2006-2008 W burnished coins are now a self-contained collectible set, and once the final mintages are known, the 2008 W coins may turn out to be the keys. Speculation of this sort may be driving the price increases for the 2008 W burnished plats. (Plus, if the mintages are really lower than announced sales, that fact may be influencing the actual number of coins available in the secondary market.) >>

Overdate-

Thanks for the insight on the Jackie uncs!

My only point regarding the 06 w uncs vs the 04 w proofs was that even when the very low mintage #s of the 06 w's was known, and the '04 w proofs were still king of proofs, yet with higher mintage numbers than the 06 w uncs, the proofs sold for a lot more. It seems that unc mintage numbers don't "compete" with the proof numbers, instead that each is looked at relative to its respective series. I would expect the '04 poof prices to come substantially down now that it is clear that the '08 w proof have a much lower mintage.

Jag-

What data regarding the 04's and 06's were you talking about?
  • Options
    >>It seems that unc mintage numbers don't "compete" with the proof numbers, instead that each is looked at relative to its respective series.<<

I think you're right, and prices of the 2008-W plats reflect this situation. The 2008-W proofs are currently higher priced than the corresponding 2008-W burnished plats, even though the proof mintages are higher. The proofs have a larger established collector base, thus more demand. The burnished plats are still relatively new and the collector base for this (now completed) series is still becoming established. Prices for the burnished W plats may continue to rise as more collectors discover this short but interesting set.

• Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone have 8-8-8 sets on backorder still? I have 2 sets ordered on 2/5 and they say In stock and Reserved but the cancel box is still there......any chance I will get them? >>

Sorry, none on order, but I'd take 3:1 odds that you'll get them. Let us know! >>

These are on the UPS truck for delivery this morning! Two more Buff's for my herd. I sure hope the Mint does these again this year, especially the fractionals. >>

Sorry, the fractionals are done forever.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

I received an email from the mint tonite that they shipped (3) 2008 W $10 Buff UNC today..........these were ordered 11/20/08 image
  • Options

<< <i>I received an email from the mint tonite that they shipped (3) 2008 W $10 Buff UNC today..........these were ordered 11/20/08 image >>

Great score, congrats! I wonder how many more buffs they have.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I received an email from the mint tonite that they shipped (3) 2008 W $10 Buff UNC today..........these were ordered 11/20/08

wow, congrats! maybe my backorder for 11 platinum uncirculated sets from 11/13 will get filled...
    Dan
  • Options
    keezkeez Posts: 842
    Argh, I only missed the unc buffalo by one day. The Mint cancelled my order for the 2008-W uncirc. buff. I was wondering how close I was to the cutoff.
  • Options

<< <i>I received an email from the mint tonite that they shipped (3) 2008 W $10 Buff UNC today..........these were ordered 11/20/08

wow, congrats! maybe my backorder for 11 platinum uncirculated sets from 11/13 will get filled... >>

Good luck NYC - that would be a MAJOR score. Please let us know!
  • Options
    Just Recieved Good News for our Beloved US Mint !!!

2008 AE GLD UNC MM 1/4 OZ 20 $309.50 $6,190.00 20 units shipped on 03/19/2009

• Options
    Good luck NYC - that would be a MAJOR score. Please let us know!

oh i certainly will. no real expectation of that order being filled, but it sure would be nice!

it's still showing as "in process" with a floating ship date, currently 4/3/09
    Dan
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    They are shipping some seriously backordered stuff this week.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797

wow, congrats! maybe my backorder for 11 platinum uncirculated sets from 11/13 will get filled...

I still have (10) sets of the unc. plats on B/O since 11/13/08 also......
  • Options
    Lift from FLbills old post... important old data and I dont want it lost....

Freedom of Information Act Request imposed on Mint in Early 2009 in regard to number of eagles struck.

Here are the raw numbers....

The mint disclaimer is as follows: “These figures represent raw data for coins produced. It is possible that not all these coins were sold or available for sale. These figures could (and does) include pieces condemned as un-useable, quality control pieces and pieces packeged (which may or may not have sold)."

All the following is 2008:

1 oz. Plat proof: 5423
    ½ oz. Plat proof: 5637
    ¼ oz. Plat proof: 4884
    1/10 oz. Plat proof: 10,513

1 oz. Plat Unc: 5084
    ½ oz. Plat Unc: 4066
    ¼ oz. Plat Unc: 4476
    1/10 oz. Plat Unc: 4585

2008 Buffs:
    1 oz. Proof: 20,580
    ½ oz. Proof: 20,602
    ¼ oz. Proof: 22,060
    1/10 oz proof : 24,725

1 oz. Unc: 21, 374
    ½ oz unc: 44,252
    ¼ oz unc 26,797
    1/10 oz unc: 25,355

2008 AGE
    1 oz. Proof: 35,173
    ½ oz. Proof: 25,244
    ¼ oz. Proof: 29,417
    1/10 oz. Proof: 34,154

1 oz. Unc: 18.909
    ½ oz. Unc: 26,213
    ¼ oz. Unc: 16,332
    1/10 oz. Unc: 27,461

That statement almost guarantees that final numbers will only go down from FOIA numbers.

I guess now the question is how much will they drop?

DING DING DING!!!!!

Compare the 2006 raw numbers to the 2006 FINAL numbers for clues.

Here are the raw numbers reported to me for 2006:

1 oz. Gold Buff Proof: 287,107

AGE UNC:
    1/10 oz. : 21,864
    ¼ oz. : 17,926
    ½ oz. : 17,136
    1 oz. : 47,049

AGE PROOF:
    1/10 oz. : 55,334
    ¼ oz. : 42,027
    ½ oz. : 39,482
    1 oz. : 55,382

APE PROOF:
    1/10 oz. : 10,373
    ¼ oz. : 9,749
    ½ oz. : 8,705
    1 oz. : 10,373

APE UNC:
    1/10 oz. : 4,146
    ¼ oz. : 2956
    ½ oz. : 2745
    1 oz. : 3174

2007:

2007 AGE Uncs
    1oz. : 24,872
    ½ oz. : 19,698
    ¼ oz. : 21,372
    1/10 oz. : 32,442

2007 AGE Proofs:
    1 oz. : 59,981
    ½ oz. : 48,634
    ¼ oz. : 50,373
    1/10 oz. : 63,371

2007 APE Uncs:
    1 oz: 7,320
    ½ oz. : 4,509
    ½ oz. : 4,784
    1/10 oz. : 8,004

2007 APE Proofs:
    1 oz. : 10,485
    ½ oz. : 41,822
    ¼ oz. : 9,088
    1/10 oz. : 11,642

2007 Plat Reverse Proof: 30,481

FloridaBill

Edited: Thursday April 02, 2009 at 10:05 PM by FloridaBill
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Guys I have been quiet for a while because I have done nothing but research for the last few months and our little text is about done. I sent it off to KP books for review we will just have to see if they are interested in moderns books.

I need help on the last two items because I have not keep data on them for the last few years.

Please give me mintages or final weekly sales report numbers on:

2006-2007
    Fifty State Quarters Proof Clad
    Fifty State Quarters Proof silver
    Sac Proof Dollars

2007 Proof Presidential Dollars

Thanks so much!

Eric >>

2007 proof 5-quarter silver set 442,013
    2007 proof clad 5-quarter set 676,654
    2006 proof 5-quarter silver set 531,000
    2006 proof clad 5-quarter set 882,000

2007 Proof Presidential Dollar set 1,279,472

On the silver quarters I think we have to add in the 2007 regular proof silver sets for total numbers, the sets I list are for the individual sales not including other sets.
  • Options
    Sac Proof Dollars

Isn't this just the regular large proof set numbers for these?

PS The price of platinum had a double top breakout yesterday. $1320 per ounce is possible in this next run.
  • Options
    >>Sac Proof Dollars

Isn't this just the regular large proof set numbers for these?<<

I believe the Sac totals would be regular proof set + silver proof set + Legacy proof set.

• Options
    I believe the proof Presidential dollars are or were available as single coins also, these might need to be added in to totals.

• Options
    +1
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    Sac proof from a 2007 redbook [You probably already had these].

2000s 4,047,993
    2001s 3,184,606
    2002s 3,211,995
    2003s 3,298,439
    2004s 2,992,069
    2005s 3,273,000

Someone may have later numbers.
  • Options

<< <i>Good luck NYC - that would be a MAJOR score. Please let us know!

oh i certainly will. no real expectation of that order being filled, but it sure would be nice!

it's still showing as "in process" with a floating ship date, currently 4/3/09 >>

NYC -

I think that there is hope...

My plat proof set ordered on 12/8 reflected backordered status and a floating ship date that kept getting pushed back for many weeks. I assumed that there was no chance until they shipped on 2/25. This may be one nice difference between the old and new contractors. PBGS seems to actually ship items with long floating ship dates. Wishing you luck!!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Guys -

Good luck waiting for those PLAT UNC's. They are long gone. Not gonna happen.

7/8
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just Recieved Good News for our Beloved US Mint !!!

2008 AE GLD UNC MM 1/4 OZ 20 $309.50 $6,190.00 20 units shipped on 03/19/2009

Also received info that my quarters shipped today, 3-22.

• Options
    The price of platinum is currently $1,126.

At this price, the Mint's selling price for the 2009 platinum eagle 1-ounce proof (if and when released) would be $1,392.

Because of today's steep premium, bullion 1-ounce plats are routinely bringing more than $1,400 each on eBay. If demand stays high, I would expect the 2009 proof to sell out fairly quickly, even if the mintage is high, and especially if no 2009 bullion plats are minted.

• Options
    Guys -

Good luck waiting for those PLAT UNC's. They are long gone. Not gonna happen.

7/8

lol, the platinum authority speaks. funny, looks like we're sill waiting for those sub-2006 numbers.

i didn't have any hope of receiving more platinum uncs, but since you are sure it won't happen, i feel like my odds just got better.

if you make enough predictions one of them is bound to come true.
    Dan
  • Options
    As many of us expected the 2008 gold and platinum mintages are not being published since they have stopped changing.

"There is more space to write in this week because the list of mintages of last year’s proof and uncirculated gold, silver and platinum collector versions of the American Eagle coinage and the proof and uncirculated gold collector versions of the Buffalo coinage have been removed.

It was time because sales have been stopped for some while now and until the Mint catches up with demand for the one-ounce investor gold and silver American Eagles, the 2009 collector versions will not make an appearance."

Of the ones left tracking;

UHR 55,513
    2008 dollar set 56,801

Lincoln Commemorative

Proof 312,075
    UNC 135,793

• Options
    Gold firms, platinum climbs to six-month high

Gold ticked higher in volatile
    trade on Thursday, underpinned by improving investment appetite
    and gains in other commodities such as oil and metals and
    despite the dollar rising against the euro.

Platinum touched its highest in six months as dollar
    weakness over the past couple of days prompted industrial and
    bargain-hunting buying, lifting palladium by nearly 6 percent to
    its highest in over four months.

Spot platinum <XPT=> touched $1,159.00 an ounce, its highest
    since Sept. 26 and was last at $1,1149.50 an ounce versus $1,120
    an ounce late in New York on Wednesday.

Higher and higher we climb.
  • Options
    NYC -

No plat unc's left to ship......but are you so sure about those other supposedly sold out issues??????

People are getting deliveries of plat proofs.....and buff uncs......and buff proofs....

Hey......you know it's easy to sit the sidelines like yourself.....and have all those opinions about other forum members......we just wish you had some real info to share.....
  • Options
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>NYC -

No plat unc's left to ship......but are you so sure about those other supposedly sold out issues??????

People are getting deliveries of plat proofs.....and buff uncs......and buff proofs....

Hey......you know it's easy to sit the sidelines like yourself.....and have all those opinions about other forum members......we just wish you had some real info to share..... >>

Do you work for the Mint? How do you know no one is receiving deliveries of Unc Plat's? If there are Proof Plat, and Buff's being delivered, there is just as much chance there are Unc Plat's being delivered.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, Collectors Universe is only a very small section of the whole coin collecting universe. You cannot say there are no Unc Plat's being delivered when you don't have a clue what is showing up in everyone's mailbox.

Even if there are deliveries being made, you have already stood on your soapbox and declared the mintage numbers include ALL ORDERS. Therefore, even if there are deliveries, they are ALL READY included in the mintage number, based upon YOUR expertise and the fact you cannot order any of them anymore.
  • Options
    NYC -

Hey......you know it's easy to sit the sidelines like yourself.....and have all those opinions about other forum members......we just wish you had some real info to share.....

Real info to share? you mean like your weekly posts pumping the 2008 platinum uncirculateds as coming in under 2006?

Your posts speak for themselves.

Dan
  • Options

<< <i>NYC -

Real info to share? you mean like your weekly posts pumping the 2008 platinum uncirculateds as coming in under 2006?

Your posts speak for themselves. >>

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
  • Options
    ...can't we all just get along .....

• Options
    everyone's an expert......

and has an opinion.......

but many have no experience.......
  • Options
    7/8 image

They just stopped printing the 2008 mint numbers, no more changes for now.

The 30 day return privilege on plat unc is long gone.

The revised January numbers never happened, again long gone.

All that is left is an audit perhaps that may take up to a year.

Aftermarket sales on plat unc are stale at best, but not so with the buffalo fractionals.image

Mintage alone is not everything.image
  • Options
    "Stale at best" ?

Have you seen the 4 coin plat unc set sales on the 'bay? 3500, 3699, 3307 last three completed sales.....hmmmm....that's 58%, 67%, 49% return on investment respectively......

wouldn't call that stale.
  • Options
    Effective July 23, 2008, the United States Mint will commence
    selling the following 2008 American Eagle Proof Coins according to the
    following price schedule:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description Price
    American Eagle Platinum Proof Coins:
    One-ounce platinum coin............................... $2,509.95
    One-half ounce platinum coin.......................... 1,279.95
    One-quarter ounce platinum coin....................... 664.95
    One-tenth ounce platinum coin......................... 279.95
    Four-coin platinum set................................ 4,589.95

The United States Mint will make available the following 2008
    American Eagle Uncirculated Platinum Coins according to the following
    price schedule:

Description Price
    American Eagle Platinum Uncirculated Coins:
    One ounce platinum coin................................ $2,349.95
    One-half ounce platinum coin........................... 1,199.95
    One-quarter ounce platinum coin........................ 619.95
    One-tenth ounce platinum coin.......................... 259.95
    Four-coin platinum set................................. 4,289.95

Have you seen the 4 coin plat unc set sales on the 'bay? 3500, 3699, 3307 last three completed sales.....hmmmm....that's 58%, 67%, 49% return on investment respectively......

wouldn't call that stale.

You don't know what the purchase price was for those unless you are unloading what you bought already.

If they bought those at first release they have losses of -19%, -14% and [gulp] -23%.image

All w buffalo buyers are positive winners by comparison.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file