Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Some plat buyers are still underwater.image
  • Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me thinks most, and possible all, 2008 bullion issues will be pretty big winners...it's just a matter of degree as to how big.

I'm also thinking we may not live to see another year like last year...from a numismatic/bullion standpoint!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Half

You failed to post the October Price of 2219.95 per 4 coin set
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Me thinks most, and possible all, 2008 bullion issues will be pretty big winners...it's just a matter of degree as to how big.

I'm also thinking we may not live to see another year like last year...from a numismatic/bullion standpoint! >>

I agree 100% re: 2008. I have no doubt that for many years to come, future collectors will lament that "if only I had been into the hobby in '08" What an amazing year for moderns!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Half

You failed to publish the October Price of 2219.95 per 4 coin set

Yes, and you failed to publish the earlier issue prices in reporting how profitable recent sales have been.

however, I agree that the recent sales prices for the 4 coin sets aren't bad. the loss suffered by early buyers was caused by the rapid drop in platinum spot from $2400 to $800 an ounce. Similarly, some of the secondary market price increase on these coins since October is due to platinum recovering to the $1150/oz range.

Obviously not all of the price increase is due to bullion; 1.85oz of platinum even at $1200oz is worth under $2400, and secondary market prices indicate demand is reasonably healthy at the moment.
    Dan
  • Options
    One would assume that most sets were sold in the second offering, and most buyers would sell at a profit, and most buyers underwater would hold in a rising PM market.
  • Options

<< <i>One would assume that most sets were sold in the second offering, and most buyers would sell at a profit, and most buyers underwater would hold in a rising PM market. >>

Whelp, what is next on the hit parade for US Mint offerings that we can flip?

This looks like it will be like 2007 where nothing but George Washington Coin Covers were the hits.

Then again, Gold Bullion will probably appear around Thanksgiving, if we survive the Summer.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm noticing that on recent eBay auctions (not BINs), bullion platinum eagles are selling at a premium of 25% and higher, while bullion gold eagles are selling at a premium of only 13% and higher.

Are platinum coins in shorter supply or are they in greater demand? A bunch were melted during the 2008 price spike, and none have been produced so far in 2009, but 25% seems to be a steep premium for non-numismatic coins struck in a hybrid industrial/precious metal.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>Talk about a welcome email from The Mint this morning:

Shipment CONFIRMATION:

"Items included in this shipment:

1. 2008 AE PLAT PRF 4 COIN (8T5) Qty : 1 "

The order was placed Dec. 8 just before 9 p.m.

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! >>

Congrats, my set was ordered "Order Date: 12/09/2008 at 07:42 PM" and and never filled image
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Me thinks most, and possible all, 2008 bullion issues will be pretty big winners...it's just a matter of degree as to how big.

I'm also thinking we may not live to see another year like last year...from a numismatic/bullion standpoint! >>

I agree 100% re: 2008. I have no doubt that for many years to come, future collectors will lament that "if only I had been into the hobby in '08" What an amazing year for moderns! >>

You talking about REGULAR bullion issues or the burnished Ws? I don't think the regular bullion issues are going to go anywhere, but you're right on the burnished...
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    In case anyone missed it, it looks like FloridaBill posted the raw numbers for plat $10's.

Linky

Linky

"One thing that stands out is the $10 2008 W Plat unc.

Prior years had a 15% difference between minted and sold ($10 plat specific),

2008...the mint reports 4,585 struck. The mint is reporting sales of 4623."

"The 2006-W $10 UNC plats had a raw mintage of 4146.

The net sales were 3544."

I interpret that to show the 2006 w unc will maintain a lower final mintage when all is said and done but we will see by the end of the year.

• Options
    some of those raw numbers are really surprising. I wish we could get the backstory on how many coins get caught up in the "quality control" process-- I've received coins that led me to believe that the only quality control used is customer returns.
    Dan
  • Options
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, David. I think that you should remove your spam post and sell your stuff on BST.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    For the fans of the spouse coins, I see this list has some of the photos they used for the coins.

Linky

For example, it looks like the mint took this picture and added a headband:

The bad news is practically all of the remaining spouses are not attractive.
  • Options
    Showing their sense of humor, the Mint emailed me this morning (April Fool's Day) about my 11 backordered platinum uncirculated 4 coin sets... the expected ship date is now 4/16/09. image
    Dan
  • Options

<< <i>One would assume that most sets were sold in the second offering, and most buyers would sell at a profit, and most buyers underwater would hold in a rising PM market. >>

Why would "One" assume that?

A large number buy within the first 30 days in order to get the First Strike. I know I bought then and am glad I did. They are still sealed in their mint shipping boxes. The pops on my proof and UNC sets will be phenomenally low. My assumption is that First strike buyers will pay dearly for these if and when I choose to sell.

Be careful about making assumptions. I like mine better than the "One" you just made in the quoted post above.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>Showing their sense of humor, the Mint emailed me this morning (April Fool's Day) about my 11 backordered platinum uncirculated 4 coin sets... the expected ship date is now 4/16/09. image >>

You will get them. It has been about 4 months since they halted sales, that is plenty of time for them to justify returns and cancel backorders if that is what they want to do. It is the mint..... used to take 6 months to get your order. They are probably holding thousands of sets. Someone over there gave them the bright idea that they should speculate on the PM market. Once OBAMA figures out that they are holding all of this inventory and that he has killed the US automakers off (at least 2 of them), he will swagger in and order them to ship it. The market for platinum has shrunk considerably now that the government has failed to subsidize GM and Chrysler.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Showing their sense of humor, the Mint emailed me this morning (April Fool's Day) about my 11 backordered platinum uncirculated 4 coin sets... the expected ship date is now 4/16/09. image >>

You will get them. It has been about 4 months since they halted sales, that is plenty of time for them to justify returns and cancel backorders if that is what they want to do. It is the mint..... used to take 6 months to get your order. They are probably holding thousands of sets. Someone over there gave them the bright idea that they should speculate on the PM market. Once OBAMA figures out that they are holding all of this inventory and that he has killed the US automakers off (at least 2 of them), he will swagger in and order them to ship it. The market for platinum has shrunk considerably now that the government has failed to subsidize GM and Chrysler. >>

I don't agree with the premise that, because the government may not further subsidize the US automakers, demand for platinum will shrink.

Rather, the US automakers would simply merge or continue to operate in Chapter 11, but the same volume of cars will still be produced ...
    someone has to pick up the slack, even if "General Motors" does not appear on the car label.

Hence, demand for platinum will continue ... although the name of the car company buying it may change ....
  • Options
    7/8 Was correct, new report 2008 un-circulated the new king. APRIL FOOLS Sorry could not help myself! image 7/8 my apologies for having a laugh at your expense, I have a good bit of platinum and do hope that you are correct.
  • Options
    Coinhog

I guess the reason why I made the statement is because there were significantly more 4 coin sets sold in the second offering (lower pricing) than the first for the Plat Uncs.

Unless you are looking for reportable losses to offset gains, why would I sell a set i'm underwater in rather than a set in which i'm profitable?

Seems logical to me.
  • Options
    RobertS -

You stole my thunder!!!! I was waiting for April Fool's Day to let that one loose!!!

In all fairness, all of the issues have been very profitable. Some more than others.

One cannot be unhappy with 50-70% profits on some of the Plat Uncs and 4 coin sets. Even the worst of the bunch will turn a 15% profit for a period of 4 months.

Anyone who "sneers" at that rate of return is a fool.

I'm sure many of those fools will reply to my post.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You will get them. It has been about 4 months since they halted sales, that is plenty of time for them to justify returns and cancel backorders if that is what they want to do. It is the mint..... used to take 6 months to get your order. They are probably holding thousands of sets. Someone over there gave them the bright idea that they should speculate on the PM market. Once OBAMA figures out that they are holding all of this inventory and that he has killed the US automakers off (at least 2 of them), he will swagger in and order them to ship it. The market for platinum has shrunk considerably now that the government has failed to subsidize GM and Chrysler. >>

I don't agree with the premise that, because the government may not further subsidize the US automakers, demand for platinum will shrink.

Rather, the US automakers would simply merge or continue to operate in Chapter 11, but the same volume of cars will still be produced ...
    someone has to pick up the slack, even if "General Motors" does not appear on the car label.

Hence, demand for platinum will continue ... although the name of the car company buying it may change .... >>

Check on the volume of cars that the Big 3 have sold this year. With what is on the lots right now, and the rate that they are selling, every factory could close for 6 months.
  • Options

<< <i>Coinhog

I guess the reason why I made the statement is because there were significantly more 4 coin sets sold in the second offering (lower pricing) than the first for the Plat Uncs.

Unless you are looking for reportable losses to offset gains, why would I sell a set i'm underwater in rather than a set in which i'm profitable?

Seems logical to me. >>

look around. everybody is trying to raise cash. People who have bought these on credit and have been carrying them for 9 months , want and need to get out from unbder them.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    I realize I'm stepping out of topic, but why are many of the 1849 - 1889 US Gold Dollars still relatively inexpensive considering the extremely low mintages that many have... other than the obvious, "they're unpopular."

Thanks
  • Options
    I realize I'm stepping out of topic, but why are many of the 1849 - 1889 US Gold Dollars still relatively inexpensive considering the extremely low mintages that many have... other than the obvious, "they're unpopular."

1) They're really tiny.
    2) They're not made out of platinum.
    3) The design doesn't include a buffalo.
    4) You can't get any in MS70.
    5) You can't get any First Strikes.

and . . .

6) They're unpopular. image

• Options

<< <i>I realize I'm stepping out of topic, but why are many of the 1849 - 1889 US Gold Dollars still relatively inexpensive considering the extremely low mintages that many have... other than the obvious, "they're unpopular."

1) They're really tiny.
    2) They're not made out of platinum.
    3) The design doesn't include a buffalo.
    4) You can't get any in MS70.
    5) You can't get any First Strikes.

and . . .

6) They're unpopular. image >>

Well...I like them and I'm glad they're unpopular...and after I finish my set, I'm gonna Pump Them Up!!! Okay, maybe I'll pump a little now: 18 of the little jewels have a mintage under 5,000.

WOW

• Options
    coinhog

that may be your experience with people raising cash - I haven't found that to be the case.

in fact many have been quite content to hold, even when they have a "cost to carry". I have experienced some that would rather cash in their poor performing equities and debt instruments for cash to put into the dual play Moderns and PM's.
  • Options

<< <i>coinhog

that may be your experience with people raising cash - I haven't found that to be the case.

in fact many have been quite content to hold, even when they have a "cost to carry". I have experienced some that would rather cash in their poor performing equities and debt instruments for cash to put into the dual play Moderns and PM's. >>

That's exactly why you theories may be flawed. They are based on assumptions. You do not know what drives people to buy or sell these. You base you statements on your assumptions.

• Options
    Coinhog -

I didn't post an assumption, I posted my experiences that I have been exposed to......

Why do you think that they are assumptions? Isn't your assumption that people need to raise cash so they will sell anything to raise it - kind of a doomsday scenario?

I've got to be perfectly honest, I haven't been to a coinshow on the east coast yet this year where there are people engaged in "firesales" of there holdings of moderns or otherwise.

So, what I have quoted is perfectly logical. It's OK to admit it.
  • Options

... I simply sell slaves, spices, or tobacco whenever I need to raise cash,
    while hanging tightly onto my platinum coins ....

Tee hee hee .....

• Options
    ...boy, it is getting boring around here .....

• Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Maybe I can help. I am wondering... this is from a relatively new collector in modern mint products, I've been kinda monitoring e-bay sales for 2006W-2008W platinum coins in all denominations in original government packaging. I can't find too many up for sale! Are they that rare, or are some people holding on to them till the economy improves? Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    I would never sell a sealed box on eBay, how can you prove there was even a coin in there? The mint has sent empty boxes on rare occasions...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they that rare, or are some people holding on to them till the economy improves? Please share your thoughts.

I haven't yet sold any 2006-W or 2008-W Plats, yet. From my point of view, I bought them as low mintage speculations in a high-value metal and there's really been no compelling reason to sell any of them.

If I sold them now, I'm not sure where else I could put the money that would be as good as having the Plats, just as they are. If you can think of a better investment, please tell me.

This touches on a good point. There is no particular reason to hold any investment until it is in the black. If the prospects don't look all that good for something, why would you be obligated to hold onto it in order to break even 3 or 4 years down the road?

On the other hand, if you need some operating capital, and if you can sell something to recoup some capital while offsetting some other gains with a nominal loss on the item - why not do it? That's a win-win deal - all the more so if you don't expect it to be appreciating any time soon.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Sent in the study I have been working on for the last 6 months to Krause Publications. Hope they will print it for us.
  • Options
    Sent in the study I have been working on for the last 6 months to Krause Publications. Hope they will print it for us.

good luck Eric
    Dan
  • Options
    ... yes, good luck!

David
  • Options

<< <i>Sent in the study I have been working on for the last 6 months to Krause Publications. Hope they will print it for us. >>

I was just thinking about your study earlier today. I look forward to reading it.
  • Options
    youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    CONGRATULATIONS !!

Hoping all your hard work pans out & will soon be in print.
  • Options
    HI Ericj96-

Good luck with the study being published. You'll have a lot of buyers on this forum for sure!!

I, and I'm sure many others on the forum, am very interested on your take on the FOIA numbers vs. sales numbers and your thoughts on the implications of the above on the final, audited sales numbers for the 2008 gold and plat issues.

THANKS!!
  • Options

<< <i>Sent in the study I have been working on for the last 6 months to Krause Publications. Hope they will print it for us. >>

Way cool. I'll look forward to it, also. When you say Krause, which publication exactly, or are you talking a book? If not a book, Dave Harper at Numismatic News is terrific. He wrote up the blurb about my new novel, Double Eagle, just a few issues ago. Just in case you haven't any luck with Krause.
  • Options
    $7150 for a 2008 W Plat Unc PCGS MS70 FS set!!! I just don't understand the "power" of FS, but it CLEARLY exists. I wonder what a FS Proof set would bring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-PCGS-MS70-First-Strike-Burnished-Platinum-set_W0QQitemZ370176672604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item370176672604&amp;_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&amp;_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

(I miss this thread - had to post something to get it ttt :-)
  • Options

<< <i>$7150 for a 2008 W Plat Unc PCGS MS70 FS set!!! I just don't understand the "power" of FS, but it CLEARLY exists. I wonder what a FS Proof set would bring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-PCGS-MS70-First-Strike-Burnished-Platinum-set_W0QQitemZ370176672604QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item370176672604&amp;_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&amp;_trkparms=66:2|65:13|39:1|240:1318

(I miss this thread - had to post something to get it ttt :-) >>

Well, I'd say that qualified as Moon Money! I, too, don't get the FS thing--and believe in ten years no one else will get it either, but hey, someone's makin' money off of it.
  • Options
    .... last post almost two weeks ago ... image
  • Options
    The Mint finally cancelled my backorder for a 2008 unc plat set. The order was placed Nov 13. I'm guessing a lot of other backorders were cancelled too. Maybe now we'll see some final numbers.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Yeah, little did the Mint know that when they killed the fractional gold and plats, they'd kill this thread, too! image

Never fear. When the economy starts picking up, so will action on all the great 2008 releases.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently there are three 4-coin Buffalo gold sets being offered on Ebay (that include OGP). That is nothing short of amazing.
  • Options
    Not much to update on this thread until actual 2008-W platinum mintages are revealed, or the 2009 one-ounce proof is issued.

Common one-ounce platinum eagles are fetching about a 25% premium, which is around the Mint's projected pricing of the 2009-W one-ounce proof if and when released. This could lead to a quick sellout.

Meanwhile, for unknown reasons no 2009 bullion platinum eagles of any size have been released yet. It's possible that none will be made this year at all, which would mean that the $100 proof (assuming it gets made) would become the only platinum eagle with a 2009 date.

Quite a change from 2008!

• Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I still have an open order for several 08-W APEs proofs from the ordering frenzy of 12/8/08.
    The order has shown "in stock and reserved" for a month but when I call, the service rep says it is still in process.
    I am not expecting the order to be filled but who knows?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file