Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Currently there are three 4-coin Buffalo gold sets being offered on Ebay (that include OGP). That is nothing short of amazing. >>

I checked a couple of days ago and at that time there was only one 4 coin set being offered. No raw sets and no PCGS sets. Only one NGC set on all of Ebay. Yes truely amazing and IMO it bodes well for a push to 4K per set in near future..................
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Currently there are three 4-coin Buffalo gold sets being offered on Ebay (that include OGP). That is nothing short of amazing. >>

I checked a couple of days ago and at that time there was only one 4 coin set being offered. No raw sets and no PCGS sets. Only one NGC set on all of Ebay. Yes truely amazing and IMO it bodes well for a push to 4K per set in near future.................. >>

Glad that I've held onto mine. I noticed one seller who sold a raw proof and unc buff set in the low $3k range. Both were sold in minutes. Most others around $3600, about the same as they've been for weeks.

How long does it usually take before final, audited numbers are released?

Thanks.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    I don't think the final audited numbers will be as important for the Buffalos as they are for gold and platinum eagles.

IMO the buffalos are trading based on interest rather than speculation over relative mintages.

Whatever the final mintages for the buffalo sets and fractionals they will remain a one year offering.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the gold buffalo coins are doing as well as some of us guessed they would, each time I look at one I want to own more.imageimage

The gold eagle coins look like the Titanic at this point, and the plats are doing so-so.

In a few years though they may all be doing well and I hope that is the case. The mint has apparently abandoned the fractional coins so these would be the low cost starter coins and the key coins should benefit from that.

The last mintage figures said the 2008 w unc silver eagle has sold out with the dollar set however it is still available on the website. Not sure why they got that wrong or if they are predicting a sellout.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whatever the final mintages for the buffalo sets and fractionals they will remain a one year offering. >>

...unless the Mint brings them back? image
  • Options
    $4300 for a sealed 2008 w plat proof set on feebay 5/4....sweeeeeeeet
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$4300 for a sealed 2008 w plat proof set on feebay 5/4....sweeeeeeeet >>

This will look cheap in years to come!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I agree.....$4300 is cheap............
    What would a sealed set of 2004 Platinum Proofs sell for especially now that they are second lowest mintage??
  • Options
    When will the final mintage for the 2008-W Plat Proofs be released. And is the $25 the second most rare in the series and date ?
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>When will the final mintage for the 2008-W Plat Proofs be released. And is the $25 the second most rare in the series and date ? >>

It is the rarest $25 proof plat--and the second most rare proof plat of any denomination (behind only the $50 2008 proof plat).
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that the 2008-W mintages may still be subject to revision.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    Beatlejuice-beatlejuice-beatlejuice.
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Someone got a deal:

2004 W $10 PLATINUM EAGLE PCGS PR69 DCAM >>

Is that sarcasm?
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone got a deal:

2004 W $10 PLATINUM EAGLE PCGS PR69 DCAM >>

Is that sarcasm? >>

No that coin alway broght 900 to 1000. Although right now it's not lower than the 08 it's still a key and the finial numbers are in on the 2004.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised that the 04s would be selling for more than the 08s

Are the 08 Proofs listed in the Grey sheet yet?

if so are they less than the 04s?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$4300 for a sealed 2008 w plat proof set on feebay 5/4....sweeeeeeeet >>

This will look cheap in years to come! >>

From your lips to G-d's ears Grits. I'm holding onto mine, but am a little nervous about when the final, audited #s come out given the FIOA numbers. Could easily take over $2K profit now/set. I do agree with you though. I think that all of the '08 plat proofs will be Kings and will bring big $ in years to come. By holding all of mine I'm of course literally betting on it.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think the final audited numbers will be as important for the Buffalos as they are for gold and platinum eagles.

IMO the buffalos are trading based on interest rather than speculation over relative mintages.

Whatever the final mintages for the buffalo sets and fractionals they will remain a one year offering. >>

I agree regarding the buffs. I think that they are very solid based on interest.

I must be missing something (as everyone seems concerned about the FIOA #s), but I still don't understand how the FIOA numbers should be expected to have any effect on the final, audited numbers. The sales numbers should be the cieling as they reflect the total sold. The audited numbers should be lower as they should take into account retruns and cancelled backorders. So, regardless of how many were produced (i.e., FOIA numbers) I would greatly appreciate someone explaining how the final, audited numbers could be higher than the sales numbers. Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>My understanding is that the 2008-W mintages may still be subject to revision. >>

Yes, revised lower. I can't think of a scenario where the sales numbers would be much lower than the final numbers...maybe poor bookkeeping, gifts, or theft. How many could that be?
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will there be *any* platinum eagles dated 2009?

With the year approaching half over, no 2009-dated bullion platinum eagles have appeared, fractional or full ounce.

There is also no 2009-W platinum proof coin on the Mint's "Scheduled Products" listing, despite a reverse design having been previously approved.

The Mint's gold and silver American Eagle sites report a temporary suspension of collector coins due to demand for bullion coins requiring all available blanks. *However*, the Mint's platinum American Eagle site shows only links to the coin pricing grid and return policy - no mention of a future coin.

So at the moment anyway, it looks very possible that there will be an interruption in the dated platinum eagle series. Or perhaps they will no longer be made at all.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    This seems very possible. We'll just all have to stay on our toes in case the Mint does a 10-minute offering in December...
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We'll just all have to stay on our toes in case the Mint does a 10-minute offering in December...

I figure Dec. 18th.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    coasterfancoasterfan Posts: 1,302
    What do you think would happen to the price of collectible platinum eagles if the Mint decided to end the series this year?
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    If APE series were to end I'd guess it would be a neutral to slightly negative event short term......1-2 years..........
    but a positive long term(>2 years) event as that would allow time for final mintages to be confirmed and published.

I think those ultra low sub 5,000 mintages will really stick out in the 2012 Red Book.

As a completed series a collector would know just what they were getting into if they were to try and assemble a collection or subset.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you think would happen to the price of collectible platinum eagles if the Mint decided to end the series this year?

I wonder the same thing. In my own case, I'd be dabbling in a few of the older dates that I don't have, but I would still be hesitant to sell many of my multiples. My own actions would be supportive of higher prices.

Overall, I think that the pricing will continue to react to the economy whether or not the series ends this year. I also think that if the series ends, there will immediately be a nostalgic longing for the good old days when Plats were made every year.

I think that collectors will pop out of the wordwork if the Mint sticks to their decision to limit the offerings and/or stops Plat production altogether. If you remove the chronic oversaturation of the Plat collector market, the market will find it's own reasons. If the Mint doesn't jump back in, the collectors will drive pricing and that's a big plus in my opinion.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>What do you think would happen to the price of collectible platinum eagles if the Mint decided to end the series this year?

I wonder the same thing. In my own case, I'd be dabbling in a few of the older dates that I don't have, but I would still be hesitant to sell many of my multiples. My own actions would be supportive of higher prices.

Overall, I think that the pricing will continue to react to the economy whether or not the series ends this year. I also think that if the series ends, there will immediately be a nostalgic longing for the good old days when Plats were made every year.

I think that collectors will pop out of the wordwork if the Mint sticks to their decision to limit the offerings and/or stops Plat production altogether. If you remove the chronic oversaturation of the Plat collector market, the market will find it's own reasons. If the Mint doesn't jump back in, the collectors will drive pricing and that's a big plus in my opinion. >>

...makes sense to me!
  • Options
    If platinum ends this year, I will probably take the money I would have spent on future issues, and spend it on backfilling the earlier dates I don't yet have. I would think if enough platinum collectors do that, it should sustain demand for the series.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    I just received an email from the US Mint. An APE proof ordered on 12/8/08 has shipped.
    It has been a long wait and I didn't think that I would get it, even though it was "in stock and reserved" for months.

Anyone else receive a long awaited APE order?
  • Options

<< <i>I just received an email from the US Mint. An APE proof ordered on 12/8/08 has shipped.
    It has been a long wait and I didn't think that I would get it, even though it was "in stock and reserved" for months.

Anyone else receive a long awaited APE order? >>

Which one is being shipped?

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I just received an email from the US Mint. An APE proof ordered on 12/8/08 has shipped.

Of course, this does not bode well for the final, audited numbers coming out anytime soon!!
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Of course, this does not bode well for the final, audited numbers coming out anytime soon!! >>

The APE proof is the 1/10 oz.
  • Options

<< <i>Of course, this does not bode well for the final, audited numbers coming out anytime soon!! >>

It's already in the "sales" count, unless it's a gift from the Mint...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Of course, this does not bode well for the final, audited numbers coming out anytime soon!! >>

It's already in the "sales" count, unless it's a gift from the Mint... >>

Understood. I was refering to the final, audited numbers which should take into account cancelled back orders, delivered back orders such as this, etc. As long as they are shipping out backordered coins the final, audited numbers can not be calculated.

If it's a gift from the Mint I hope that I'm next :-)
  • Options

<< <i>If it's a gift from the Mint I hope that I'm next :-) >>

Me too, but I'm guessing that we'll be waiting awhile...
  • Options
    WTF??? Somebody is out of touch. This is an article in Numismatic News:

Bullion premiums now normal

May 18, 2009
    by Harry Miller

Gold has held well over $900 per troy ounce. Silver spiked to the higher end of the $14 range and platinum fell on its butt! Why? The answer is more fear coupled with depressing economic news. Gold reacted to fear. Silver and platinum reacted to the possibility of lower industrial production/need.

The premiums on nearly all bullion items have returned to the normal levels of a year ago. Only the fractional gold and platinum issues maintain higher premiums because of no new production. Those premiums should slowly dissipate as production comes online. If demand remains limited as production comes on, these recent issues could have historically low mintages.

Older U.S. gold issues are a little softer. Major buyers are more selective in regard to quality and grading. A few months back a lightly cleaned gold $20 did not matter if it looked nice. Now it is the “kiss of death.”

There are numerous jumps and dips for early type, especially in pre-1840 dollars and halves. Common Barber halves are soft in higher Mint State grades. This is a result of gold/silver buyers that are active today. Nice BU Barbers often show up at their buying locations and are bought for a song. These buyers sell them for whatever current dealer bid is. If that gets recorded on the trading networks, that bid becomes the new ask, even if it was one transaction.

• Options
    ... snore .... where did all the action go ......

• Options
    I guess we're all waiting for the American Eagles to come out later this year.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess we're all waiting for the American Eagles to come out later this year. >>

Waiting for the final, audited #s from '08 as well!!! When will they be out?

Plat UNC sets continue to do very well. Sure wish I didn't sell mine for $2600 each in Nov!
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I guess we're all waiting for the American Eagles to come out later this year. >>

Plat UNC sets continue to do very well. Sure wish I didn't sell mine for $2600 each in Nov! >>

I wish I hadn't bought mine from the Mint for $4295 in July!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Plat UNC sets continue to do very well. Sure wish I didn't sell mine for $2600 each in Nov! >>

I wish I hadn't bought mine from the Mint for $4295 in July! >>

Ouch!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Okay, I have a question about the APEs. Say you have all 12 years of APEs ($10, $25, $50 & $100) in PCGS PR70DCAM and had to rank them based on projected value in 25 years. Here is my list:

#1 - 2008

#2 - 2004

#3 - 2007

#4 - 1997

#5 - 2005

#6 - 2001

#7 - 1998

#8 - 2002

#9 - 1999

#10 - 2003

#11 - 2006

#12 - 2000

Two more questions... What will your (or you kid's image ) most valuable set be worth in 2034? (My 2008 set will be $47,000) What will an ounce of Pt cost on 5/29/2034? ($4,712)
  • Options
    My changes below, BUT this is not for PR70s, just raw value because I think they all will end up more valuable in OGP than encapsulated.

<< <i>Okay, I have a question about the APEs. Say you have all 12 years of APEs ($10, $25, $50 & $100) in PCGS PR70DCAM and had to rank them based on projected value in 25 years. Here is my list:

#1 - 2008

#2 - 2004

#3 - 2005

#4 - 2003

#5 - 2001

#6 - 2006

#7 - 2002

#8 - 2007

#9 - 2000

#10 - 1999

#11 - 1998

#12 - 1997

>>

• Options
    I agree. That is why I have none of my 2008 proof graded.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree also and have not slabbed my mint purchasse in proof plat these last three years. "O-G-P, you know me" is the paraphrase of a rather nasty rap song (well OPP in there = other peoples' pu---).
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    Do you not get them slabbed even if you know you have 70s? I have several 2008s like that. No visible flaws when viewed through a 10x loupe. They're still in OGP, but I'm tempted to send them in.
  • Options
    ... I agree about the 2008 platinum proof sets being at the top of the list.

Indeed, the 2008-W $50.00 platinum proof coin is the king of all the platinum proof coins,
    and also one of the rarest American proof coins ever struck since 1915 !!

My projection for this coin in 2034 is $134,887.00 (factoring in inflation) in Proof 70 condition

• Options
    Too bad I won't be around to see it.
  • Options

<< <i>Do you not get them slabbed even if you know you have 70s? I have several 2008s like that. No visible flaws when viewed through a 10x loupe. They're still in OGP, but I'm tempted to send them in. >>

I have some that i think are 70s as well I am going to send in today. I figure if they turn out to be more valuable in OGP I can crack 'em out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file