Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    Has anyone else noticed that Coin World is reporting the 2008-W AGE 1/2 oz. $25 uncirculated has mintage of 8,375???

If so doesn't this dethrone the 2008-W 1/4 $10 as the king of the AGEs with mintage of 9,200??
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone else noticed that Coin World is reporting the 2008-W AGE 1/2 oz. $25 uncirculated has mintage of 8,375???

If so doesn't this dethrone the 2008-W 1/4 $10 as the king of the AGEs with mintage of 9,200?? >>

What does NN say (don't have it here at work with me)? This would make sense, as the 0.5s usually come in lower than the 0.25s. It would also make sense since I have a bunch of 0.25s :-(
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Those numbers for the $25 must not include the prosperity set that was released in 2008 as well. That set alone took the numbers close to the $10 and with the 4 coins sets and singles added it was the highest mintage of the 4 coins.

On the plat proofs I am surprised the prices are not higher than they are, the 2004 prices did come down but by about 1/3 or a little more from what I saw. Also the numbers, if true for the 2008 proof, will catapult those to be the King of the proofs price wise, it is only a matter of time perhaps.

But finding new collectors right now for plats is probably like trying to find Noah's Arc. image
  • Options
    Good point on the prosperity sets.

Those sets plus the 4 coin sets probably push the 2008-W 1/2 oz. numbers past 9,200.

• Options

<< <i>Those numbers for the $25 must not include the prosperity set that was released in 2008 as well. That set alone took the numbers close to the $10 and with the 4 coins sets and singles added it was the highest mintage of the 4 coins.

On the plat proofs I am surprised the prices are not higher than they are, the 2004 prices did come down but by about 1/3 or a little more from what I saw. Also the numbers, if true for the 2008 proof, will catapult those to be the King of the proofs price wise, it is only a matter of time perhaps.

But finding new collectors right now for plats is probably like trying to find Noah's Arc. image >>

Hi Half-

I'm sure that you're right. I forgot about those. I definitely feel better given the stack of the quarters in my sdb at the bank!!
  • Options
    Hi, the last numbers I have for the prosperity set are 7,751 sets sold so they messed up on the numbers. It was the last set sold to contain a W buffalo coin from 2008.

Also I see the one ounce Celebration Buffalo did 24,558. Lucky for us it didn't have a W.image

I saw on Ebay the one ounce 2008 buffalo proofs hit $3000 per coin, that is amazing. When I look at my Buffalo coins I still think they are incredible coins and we were very lucky to have had the chance to purchase those at mint prices. I also think the proof plats are great, the unc plats almost look like dull silver but last year was incredible for purchasing from the mint. Even the eagles came in very low mintages except for the $25 due to that set.

• Options
    Per CW today likely no 2009 Buff. Proofs. I was REALLY looking forward to them. Real bummer.

Is it worth calling and telling The Mint that we went a 2009 Buff. Proof? Do they care?

If there are none, how will this effect the value of the 2006-2008 issues? By cutting the series short I think that it may hurt.

• Options
    I think the lack of 2009 buffalo coins has probably helped the earlier years as all demand has to go to those coins. If they stop the proof coins then the past issues will appreciate better IMO just like the 2008 fractionals.

I was hoping for a small run on the one ounce proofs myself though, like 15,000 or 10,000. It is still August so maybe they will change their minds a third time.
  • Options
    SCDHunterSCDHunter Posts: 686 ✭✭✭
    I think the Coin World article should be updated to reflect the Mint's price for the APEs, when they first went on sale. Some of us were foolish enough to buy the 4-coin sets at $4295!image
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Coin World article should be updated to reflect the Mint's price for the APEs, when they first went on sale. Some of us were foolish enough to buy the 4-coin sets at $4295!image >>

Well if you bought the APE proofs early and kept them sealed they qualify for FS labels and likely are worth the money you paid...........

Refresh my memory.......can collector club members submit for FS labels??
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>can collector club members submit for FS labels?? >>

Yes...for the additional $14 fee per coin.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of us were foolish enough to buy the 4-coin sets at $4295!

I bought half of mine at the initial price and half later. I have no regrets whatsoever.

The high initial price kept mintages in the HUNDREDS, and then they were taken off the market. If they had never been offered for sale again, would you be claiming "financial genius" status?

How was buying them at the outset foolish? Sheesh.

It was a speculation. Let's be honest about that. And even now, the mintages and the prices will ultimately prove to be winners. Gimme a break!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I Bought 9 sets from the mint. I sold 6 sets & kept 3 sets all graded PCGS MS70 first Strike! the 6 sets I sold cover all expences, including grading fee`s.

• Options
    A rising tide lifts all boats............

Spot Platinum is at 12 month high today....................bodes well IMO.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    When is the PCGS Price Guide gonna show a price on the APE 2008's at 70?
  • Options
    ebizgobroebizgobro Posts: 595 ✭✭✭
    An article in Coin World dated 8/24/09 listed the sale figures for 2008-W Buffalo gold coins.

o There was a slight increase in uncirculated 4 coin sets (6,303 -> 6,531).
    o Also, as noted last week, the numbers for the unc 1/2 Buffalo Gold coins sold in the 08-08 prosperity sets (approxiately 7,751) do not appear to be included.
    With these two exceptions, the sales numbers are the same that have been used through much of this year.

This link to Coin Net shows the sales figures:
    Coin Net sales figures for 2008-W Buffalo Gold

As noted in the article, these are not audited figures.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of us were foolish enough to buy the 4-coin sets at $4295!

I bought half of mine at the initial price and half later. I have no regrets whatsoever.

The high initial price kept mintages in the HUNDREDS, and then they were taken off the market. If they had never been offered for sale again, would you be claiming "financial genius" status?

How was buying them at the outset foolish? Sheesh.

It was a speculation. Let's be honest about that. And even now, the mintages and the prices will ultimately prove to be winners. Gimme a break! >>

This is why there are so few First Strikes of the 2008 platinum uncirculated series. Firstly, pricing was high so most did not order in the first 30 days. Plus PCGS in their wisdom decided that collectors cannot submit for first strike during this same period of time. So most sets that were ordered were opened. Only months later did they reverse this policy.

I don't know the numbers but the First Strike for the 2008 must be significantly well below previous years.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Still on these first stikes huh? Everyone one of the APE's are first stikes and they bring very little over after the initial year. I got most of my collection in FS without paying much or any more. You best hope the holder collectors keep buying these for the future, the coin is really all that matters. But carry on. If you can get your 15 bucks back your doing good.
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Our thread is pathetic! Damn US Mint, why don't they just bring back all the proof fractionals and make life good again. In fact, they can add palladium fractionals, and add a 1/20 platinum coin that's only available in a limited 18-coin proof set (Buffs, Platinum, palladium, silver, gold). Yes, that would restore balance to my universe. image

Speaking of damn USM, when are they gonna get the 2008 audit done?
  • Options
    While you were sleeping raw 4 coin buffalo sets crossed $4500

• Options
    I agree.
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>While you were sleeping raw 4 coin buffalo sets crossed $4500 >>

I'm lovin' it. If I'm like most meaning that I will not be parting with my set anytime soon, these should continue to march.
  • Options
    2008 W plat proof PCGS 70 set sold for $6500.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-W-PCGS-PR70-DCAM-Platinum-Eagle-4-Coin-Set-Liberty_W0QQitemZ400031885622QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item5d23c22936&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The 2008 gold buffs seem to be doing well also.

Are the 2008 Plat proofs finally moving north where they belong??
  • Options
    You would have to be crazy to sell the 2008 Buffalo. These are going to go to the moon, Alice.

• Options

<< <i>You would have to be crazy to sell the 2008 Buffalo. These are going to go to the moon, Gracie.

image >>

I agree. It makes me sick to think about all of the ones that I sold in Nov. At least I kept most of them. Same for the '08 plat proofs.
  • Options
    It makes me sick to think about all of the ones that I sold in Nov. At least I kept most of them. Same for the '08 plat proofs.

I didn't sell my extra '08 Burnished Plats because of the low mintages.

However, I did sell some of my extra '08 Proof Plats - in order to load up as much as possible on the Gold Buffs.

I can't complain too much.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
  • Options
    ttt :-)
  • Options
    Here's the link to the 08-W APE MS70 FS set which Raufus noted:

08-W APE MS70 FS set sells for $14,000
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't indicate a buyer.
  • Options

<< <i>It doesn't indicate a buyer. >>

The buyer is C***U (0) zero feedback.

You may have to log into ebay and check completed auctions for the 2008 platinum set to see the buyer info. If you do, it shows sold to this buyer for $14K.

This buyer sure puts a LOT of fait into the FS designation!!!
  • Options
    Or seller and the buyer are one in the same and he is planning on getting 2% back from ebay and any other rebate program.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Or seller and the buyer are one in the same and he is planning on getting 2% back from ebay and any other rebate program. >>

Umm that makes no sense, as the seller would have to pay eBay and paypal fees in order to receive the 2%.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Or seller and the buyer are one in the same and he is planning on getting 2% back from ebay and any other rebate program. >>

Umm that makes no sense, as the seller would have to pay eBay and paypal fees in order to receive the 2%. >>

You're right. Dang, must engage brain before responding!!!!
  • Options
    I plan on selling my Monroe FS Gold UNC this weekend to take advantage of the spike in gold.

I have five 2008 W AGE Unc. 1/4 ounce coins that I bought thinking that they would appreciate from low mintage.

I'm very interested in any feedback on this: Sell now with gold high or hold thinking that they'll appreciate due to low mintage.

Thanks!! Ron
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I plan on selling my Monroe FS Gold UNC this weekend to take advantage of the spike in gold.

I have five 2008 W AGE Unc. 1/4 ounce coins that I bought thinking that they would appreciate from low mintage.

I'm very interested in any feedback on this: Sell now with gold high or hold thinking that they'll appreciate due to low mintage.

Thanks!! Ron >>

Tough call there, but I would hang onto them unless you really need the cash. These may take some time, but I think they will appreciate nicely in the future. With the recession, though, few people can think about building up their collections. Now if gold hits 2K, I'd reconsider!

Note I put up my 1/2-ounce unc-w buffalo for $790 a few months ago on the BST and no-one bought. Boy, am I glad! These things just seem to keep going up and, unlike other recent past issues, I don't see a bubble here. I think most are in strong hands and that supply is going to remain tough. Any other thoughts?
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    dmarksdmarks Posts: 450 ✭✭

<< <i>I plan on selling my Monroe FS Gold UNC this weekend to take advantage of the spike in gold.

Thanks!! Ron >>

Ron,

Newbie on the board, but longtime gold/coin collector/investor. If you are going to sell anything because you think gold is high, I would sell bullion and keep the collectible gold. I like those 08 quarters and would love to buy them if you do decide to sell.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first thing I would sell would be common date proof Gold Eagles - check eBay to see how ridiculously high the premiums over melt have reached.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options

<< <i>

Thanks!! Ron >>

Ron,

Newbie on the board, but longtime gold/coin collector/investor. If you are going to sell anything because you think gold is high, I would sell bullion and keep the collectible gold. I like those 08 quarters and would love to buy them if you do decide to sell. >>

Thanks for the great advice! I'll sell the FS and hold the quarter AGEs. dmark if you'd like, pm me and I'll keep you info for when I sell.

I just noticed that a Monroe FS Unc. raw brought over $1K last week - holy cow!! I hope I'm that lucky!!!
  • Options
    deleted
  • Options
    Question for the forum (or especially Eric):

The 2006-W burnished uncirculated platinum set is the rarest coin set ever issued by the United States
    in many years. How many years, to be exact?

The 2008-W platinum proof set is the rarest proof set ever issued by the United States in many years.
    How many years, to be exact?

The 2006-W $50.00 platinum burnished uncirculated coin is the single rarest United States coin struck in
    many years. How many years, to be exact?

The 2008-W $50.00 platinum proof coin is the single rarest United States proof coin struck in many years.
    How many years, to be exact?

Many thanks!

David
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    I hope you provide answers David; I'm too lazy for a quiz this morning!

Maybe Eric will chime in-- I spoke with him recently, and believe he has some good news to share.
    Dan
  • Options
    I spoke with him recently, and believe he has some good news to share.

Eric's news is the kind of news that I like!

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I plan on selling my Monroe FS Gold UNC this weekend to take advantage of the spike in gold.

I agree with dmarks and overdate; if you want to sell into the gold spike, sell the most common dates first; at $1000/oz, common coins will correlate directly with gold spot.

As we saw (with platinum) recently in early 2008, rising bullion value can absorb numismatic premium.

There are basically 2 demand curves for coins: numismatic (collector) demand and non-numismatic (bullion) demand.

Think of a swimming pool containing a large pile of coins, stacked in order of numismatic desirability.

When the water level (bullion value) is low, even most common dates will be above melt; collector demand exceeds non-numismatic demand.

As the water level rises, it overtakes the common coins, and only the premium dates will trade above melt.

A rising tide of bullion generally doesn't lift the numismatic value of rare coins, and although the scarcest coins will likely have some premium to melt, at some point that premium becomes marginal.

Suppose, for instance, that gold were to spike to $10,000 an ounce.

Many desirable gold coins would find numismatic premium overtaken by non-numismatic demand; there aren't enough collectors who could afford to pay more than melt.

We recently saw this when platinum was above $2300/ounce; low mintage coins like the 2006-w unc $100 in MS69 lost much of their premium to melt. Lost might not be the right word, the premium was absorbed by the rising bullion value.

If coins are sold to non-collectors who convert them to non-numismatic use (industrial, jewelry, whatever), it can really shake things up down the road.

Common dates that weren't appreciated or saved can become "surviving populations" and end up more desirable than low mintage dates that were saved.

Dan
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And yet demand is not fixed, it is flexible and dependent on many factors. IMO, the rise and then fall of platinum crushed collector interest in this series and that even with the recession in its bullion price, collector demand (or maybe flipper?) did not seem to recover, so the bottom of the pool may have to expand or contract. At least for now non-bullion collector/flipper interest seems to have crashed into the pool even though it is not so deep.

And I like to collect platinum....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    the rise and then fall of platinum crushed collector interest in this series and that even with the recession in its bullion price, collector demand (or maybe flipper?) did not seem to recover

In addition, the Mint was killing collectors with so many offerings.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    And yet demand is not fixed, it is flexible and dependent on many factors. IMO, the rise and then fall of platinum crushed collector interest in this series and that even with the recession in its bullion price, collector demand (or maybe flipper?) did not seem to recover, so the bottom of the pool may have to expand or contract.

That's an excellent point. I agree, the rise of platinum and subsequent drop did more harm than good for the collector base.

Kind of like a deflated souffle.

There is still demand sufficient to command a premium over spot for the low mintage coins, but we are far from early 2007 levels.

Dan
  • Options
    I agree with nycounsel's remarks.

I also believe that the US Mint might not be issuing APEs this year because of the difficulty in managing metals prices.
    I have to believe that unless the Mint did the right hedging that 2008 was a dreadful year for their platinum coin sales.
    Given the roller coaster prices of gold and platinum, the Mint may have bought high and sold low.
  • Options
    Don't forget that the mint has a new pricing policy for platinum coins should they ever return in our lifetime.

Right now a one ounce platinum proof coin would sell for $1592, probably $1692 next week and $2092 next year.

Do you think the old mintages are safe with that premium?

The mint needs to officially end the platinum program and shift into palladium coins, they would have far higher sales and there is more of a surplus in that metal.
  • Options

<< <i>I hope you provide answers David; I'm too lazy for a quiz this morning!

Maybe Eric will chime in-- I spoke with him recently, and believe he has some good news to share. >>

OK, everyone, so what is the big news ???

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file