Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver, Gold, Platinum Eagles, Buffalo Issues, Mints Intentions, Historical and current sales data f

Comments

• Options
    Eric has had new numbers on Tuesday for last several weeks.
    We'll just have to wait and see if pattern holds today............
  • Options
    4 set

Gold Eagle Proofs

Gold Eagle Unc

888 set

Unc silver
    444558 + 43592

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Eric! How about the plats???
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that it will be a few more months for the unc plat numbers to be reconciled.
  • Options

<< <i>My guess is that it will be a few more months for the unc plat numbers to be reconciled. >>

7/8 has a guaranteed us that they would be reconciled by the middle of this month.
    Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
  • Options

<< <i>Report
    4 set

Gold Eagle Proofs

Gold Eagle Unc

888 set

Unc silver
    444558 + 43592 >>

How does the 1/10 AGE proof now stack up against previous years? Is it a keeper or do I send back the 40 that are on their way to my house that I paid $162.50 each for?
  • Options
    TomohawkTomohawk Posts: 667 ✭✭
    Just noticed my 2 orders for ASE Unc's are now "In Stock And Reserved." imageimage(I Hope)
    ASE Addict...but oh so poor!
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    It looks like they dropped the plats and buffalo so perhaps last weeks numbers were final?

PS The gold proof eagle numbers are way high, those are melt value. Gold unc still have a chance although I was hoping for the one ounce to be under 10,000 which looks like no chance of happening now.
  • Options
    Here are the differences in the gold eagles relative to last week's numbers.

Gold Eagle Proofs
    16327 +0 (0%)
    14792 +3905 (up 35.9%)
    15229 +434 (up 2.9%)
    11669 +350 (up 3.1%)
    13072 +3503 (up 36.6%)

Gold Eagle Unc
    7219 +504 (up 7.5%)
    1965 +64 (up 3.4%)
    3754 +359 (up 10.6%)
    7586 +141 (up 1.9%)
    2619 +114 (up 4.6%)
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    Where are the uncirculated platinum numbers?
  • Options
    Where are the uncirculated platinum numbers?
  • Options

<< <i>Just noticed my 2 orders for ASE Unc's are now "In Stock And Reserved." imageimage(I Hope) >>

My ASE Uncs are not in stock and reserved, along with my AGE Unc sets. Of course, my four coin plat proof set (ordered 12/18) is still "backordered" but not cancelled - wonder if there is any chance that I'll ever see it.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see how the new pricing policy affects future numbers for the unc gold eagles. I would expect the 1/10 numbers to jump since the new price is cheaper. Perhaps the 1 ounce and set will slow down a bit since they experienced the biggest price increases.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Where are the uncirculated platinum numbers? >>

Maybe you did not say "please"image

Snman
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Eric! How about the plats??? >>

He's baiting us...trying to get the post count up! image
  • Options
    Has anyone ever refused a fedex shipment and had them return it to the mint? Apparently although my AGE orders haven't shipped yet, they have been pulled so the mint will not let me cancel them. The rep told me just to refuse them at Fedex and have fedex return them to the mint.

Does this make sense? If I refuse them and get documentation from Fedex, I can always get a credit chargeback since I never recieved the item. (In case they get lost on the return trip or the mint fouls up in thier new shipping facility.

Has anyone ever refused a shipment?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have refused a Resistered mailing form the MINT and they tried to charge me AGAIN for the same product once they received the return; thereby, attempting a second shipping of the same product even though they did not have it in stock!!

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    The plats did not change and were not worth posting again. The proof 4 coin set fell a hand full of coins.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The plats did not change and were not worth posting again. >>

Eric, why is that your opinion? Seriously.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The plats did not change and were not worth posting again. >>

Eric, why is that your opinion? Seriously. >>

Huh? image

Eric is saying that the numbers for the plats haven't changed since last week, except for the plat proof sets which went down a handful. You can find last week's numbers at the bottom of page 203. He's not expressing an opinion.
  • Options
    I think I just heard the fat lady singing on the 2008 plat unc's now.

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

The numbers for the 08 unc Plats will drop significantly in October>>>>>>>image
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's got an opinion on those plats. I guess it depends largely on what you're holding. IMO, if the proofs were so short struck, than the uncs (which went dark weeks earlier) have got to be lower still. I cant hold faith in anything that the Mint reports. It is the poorest run government agency in a long, long list of poorly run government agencies. I think in a few months, we could all regret dumping these things in a big way.
    AGE's anyone? The experts chimed in on these, too and since then they've been sold out, back on sale, in stock and reserved, and backordered so many times it is anyone's guess on whether they will carry a premium or be regulated to the Mint's next "LAST CHANCE" sale. What a wild ride 2008 was. I just hope I can hang onto that ambiguous "king," wherever it lies in this grand mess of skewed mintage reports. Until then, we can just speculate and collect what we like.
    We can always count on the Mint to pull the proverbial football out from under are kicking legs every time.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I can see why some people get frustrated by the Mint, but I do think other agencies could give it a run for its money as far as how they are run. And unlike other agencies, the Mint's foibles can lead to great collector coins--like the very 08s we're talking about! So even though I paid full price for my 1/2-ounce proof plat and even though I missed out on the 1/2-oz proof buff, my only words to the Mint are THANK YOU!
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    I hope this thread survives for a very long time. Ten or twenty years from now, I'd like to come back to it and read it in its entirety. Hopefully, we'll be looking back at this year as a rare numismatic opportunity to get in on the ground floor on some truly special collectibles.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the poorest run government agency in a long, long list of poorly run government agencies.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

In truth, it may be one of the best-run government agencies. And then, there's Congress.image

(Note to self - keep the 2008-W Plat Uncs no matter what they say. Lies, it's all lies.)image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Half -

Do you have that hankee ready to wipe the tears away from your eyes......when you know the true numbers on the Plat Unc-w's

Only a short time left until we have mintage numbers, coins struck, not orders from the USM.......they are due between now and end of month.....

No shipments of "excess orders" taken after sellout on all issues of the PLAT UNC-W's.

Just answer one question, "where are all these coins?"

Get ready to eat some humble pie......

• Options
    Hey I'm rooting for you 7/8!
    I hold lots of buffs and both proof and unc plats.

I almost blush thinking of the riches the mint bestowed on me in 2008.
    ASE 07/08
    Chance to return APE in July and save 5 figures.
    A herd of buffs and soaring APEs to finish off the year.
    It was a very, very, very good year.
    At 60 years old I don't expect I'll see another such year in my lifetime.
  • Options
    With the 2008-W ASE on backorder, does anyone know how it stacks up against 2006-W ASE. image
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grades just in on my 3 pc. 1/2 oz. Proof Plats....I'm very pleased!!!

At this pont, only 20 PR70DCAM in Pops!!!

POPS- non first strike!!

POPS-First Strike- Same Exact Darn #'s as non f/s!!!
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey I'm rooting for you 7/8!
    I hold lots of buffs and both proof and unc plats.

I'm almost blush thinking of the riches the mint bestowed on me in 2008.
    ASE 07/08
    Chance to return APE in July and save 5 figures.
    A herd of buffs and soaring APEs to finish off the year.
    It was a very, very, very good year.
    At 60 years old I don't expect I'll see another such year in my lifetime. >>

I don't think you will have to wait too long. I remember thinking 2006 was a very good year. Then came the bonanza of 2008. I found some 08/07 ASE's at a local BM. Two came back -70. Bought all the W's except for AGE proofs...just not interested. The Mint will come up with something that we are not yet seeing. Remember, we've got some 5 ounce silver territory "quarters" coming. And the future first spouses should do well buy not being popular.

7/8 and half: I have admired both of your stick-to-it-tivness. No quarter given. I too hope that 7/8 is right for selfish reasons no doubt.

Ren(W)unc
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>With the 2008-W ASE on backorder, does anyone know how it stacks up against 2006-W ASE. image >>

They are fairly close, however, 250,000 were in the Anniversary sets. Many sets were broken but I would bet that many are sitting intact.
  • Options

<< <i>Grades just in on my 3 pc. 1/2 oz. Proof Plats....I'm very pleased!!!

At this pont, only 20 PR70DCAM in Pops!!!

POPS- non first strike!!

POPS-First Strike- Same Exact Darn #'s as non f/s!!! >>

WOW! Congrats on the grades!!! When did you purchase these coins? Just curious, were these cherry picked for grading?
  • Options

<< <i>Half -

Do you have that hankee ready to wipe the tears away from your eyes......when you know the true numbers on the Plat Unc-w's

Only a short time left until we have mintage numbers, coins struck, not orders from the USM.......they are due between now and end of month.....

No shipments of "excess orders" taken after sellout on all issues of the PLAT UNC-W's.

Get ready to eat some humble pie...... >>

This week was the middle on January and no change, so to answer your question "where are all these coins?" the answer could be "more were shipped than you guessed".

As the fat lady sings.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A BIG Congrats to you Bully!!

What a heartening score you have managed.

I have three and don't know if they will remain MINT sealed or mailed off to the Graders.....

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Half -

Do you have that hankee ready to wipe the tears away from your eyes......when you know the true numbers on the Plat Unc-ww's

Get ready to eat some humble pie...... >>

This week was the middle on January and no change, so to answer your question "where are all these coins?" the answer could be "more were shipped than you guessed".

As the fat lady sings.

image >>

I hope you don't consider yourself a patient person.

I can guarantee that the 4-coin set of unc Plats will drop, if the mint ever has to account for its coins.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A BIG Congrats to you Bully!!

What a heartening score you have managed.

I have three and don't know if they will remain MINT sealed or mailed off to the Graders.....

Miles >>

Miles. I love you for your candor!!!

Go get 'um...great grades that is!!!!!

GB image
  • Options
    Ok,so i ordered 10 1/10 ounce AGE proofs on Jan.4th for $163 a pop.Now i see that they are down to $135 a pop.To late to cancel order,so should i refuse delivery,except delivery and mail back or keep them and hope for the best.image
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Half -

Get ready to eat some humble pie......

Until numbers are final, they can still drop -- heck, as everyone on this thread knows, they went down (just a little) last week. Acknowledging this, it IS hard to understand why the Mint bothered to revise plat w uncirculated numbers last week, with such a small decline, especially after weeks of no change, especially if there is some dramatic revision down waiting in the wings.

The fat lady hasn't sung on these, and I still expect some revision down from here. If sales numbers include backorders, I might not be surprised to see numbers drop by 100-200 per denomination.

Still, as the weeks go by, the idea that the 2008 uncirculated plats numbers will one day be revised down by 1,000 coins per denomination required to have numbers lower than 2006 is dropping from possible to improbable to unlikely to very unlikely.

It's funny that when people stubbornly refuse to concede a position in the face of overwhelming odds, the reaction of many is to admire their fighting spirit. Whether it's Blagojevich, or 7over8. I guess it's partly because it's unexpected and amusing. 7over8 not only refuses to concede that his theory that 2008 will be lower than 2006 could be wrong, he -incredibly- has the guts to actually take the offense, with taunts like "get ready to cry into your hankies" and "eat humble pie."

Same reason we smile at a small dog yapping at a big dog -- we admire his fighting spirit while wondering what in the world is he thinking??

The final verdict is still out on 2008 uncirculated platinums. Final numbers will probably decline a bit from here, but it's irrational to expect numbers to drop 1,000 coins per denomination.

Of course, the 2008 uncirculated platinums DO NOT need to be under 2006 to be good coins. Even with current numbers, they are all in the 3,400 to 4,600 range, which is incredibly low for a modern. Every decline from here just makes them better.
    Dan
  • Options
    NYC -

Until the numbers are FINAL, no one really knows where they will end up.

As you hold that sales report and read it like scripture, you probably will feel very foolish when it is revised substantially to the downside.

You know that the cancellations of more than 500 1/4 oz coins and well over 400 sets have not been deducted yet from those numbers - from info from reported buyers.

No one has sung yet, not even a peep, except for Half with his earphones on - not paying attention to the world around him.
  • Options
    Half -

You dont have an answer to that question, but you worry about it every day.

The coins dont exist, they never did. They were excess orders that were cancelled in early December.

As we have accurately stated before, the cancellations are NOT deducted from the sales reports until final reconciliations are done. We expect those in mid January.

That's from the USM Office of Public Affairs, not me, not you. Right from the horse's mouth.

So when you expect those numbers to drop every week, only returns will impact them, we are well beyond that period. They will not show change until the final reconciliation is done.

With hundreds and hundreds of reported cancellations, my opinion is that you will see significant drops in those production figures.
  • Options
    7 over 8 - can you explain this?

<< <i>With hundreds and hundreds of reported cancellations, >>

Where are you getting this from? If you are going by what people tell you on this board or who posts something saying they sent back or canceled orders you have no way of knowing how many orders were canceled or sent back, yet you speak as if you know for sure how many were canceled. I have asked you once before how you know this and you have never answered.

BTW - I returned 432 4 coin plat unc sets to the mint. Add that to your fact file.
  • Options

<< <i>7 over 8 - can you explain this?

<< <i>With hundreds and hundreds of reported cancellations, >>

Where are you getting this from? If you are going by what people tell you on this board or who posts something saying they sent back or canceled orders you have no way of knowing how many orders were canceled or sent back, yet you speak as if you know for sure how many were canceled. I have asked you once before how you know this and you have never answered.

BTW - I returned 432 4 coin plat unc sets to the mint. Add that to your fact file. >>

you have to be careful what people post on the internet. There are some among us that like to inflate their order quntities or returns in an attempt paint themselves as bigger 'playas" than they really are.

I recall our beloved Buffallo hunter held strong to the Coinworld numbers on the 2006 W plats as gospel. He cried in his hankee and dissapeared.
  • Options
    NeoStarNeoStar Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭
    I recall our beloved Buffalo Hunter held strong to the Coinworld numbers on the 2006 W plats as gospel.

I wonder what happened to that guy? One day he was the number one authority on First Spouses (well, at least according to him) and the next day he was gone...
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>With the 2008-W ASE on backorder, does anyone know how it stacks up against 2006-W ASE. image >>

Using EricJ's numbers the 08-W ASE's are at: 444558 + 43592=488150. The 2006w ASE's if memory is correct had:250,000 in the anniversary silver sets, 20,000 in the gold and silver sets and 200,000 singles=470,000. I did read a different number somewhere which was at 477,000 or thereabouts. Thus we have:

06 W ASE: 470,000

08 W ASE: 488150

Howwever, keep in mind we still have a reported mintage of the 08/07's of: 46318

If you subtract those, the 08 W ASE total would be: 441832, which is lower than the 06 W's.

As far as availability, we would have to consider the 270,000 06 W ASE's tied up in the Silver & Gold Anniv. Sets.

Some have questioned why subtract out the 08/07's? The answer is you don't have to, the numbers are only to arrive at a single number for the 08 W ASE's which using this weeks numbers is: 441832.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorta OT...Be careful of your small dog-big dog analogy...a few weeks ago in obedience training class, a large (95 lb), young Presa Canario was misbehaving, being very aggressive towards other dogs in the class. My wife's little Jack Russell (18 lbs.) took note and patiently waited his turn. When the Presa got behind my wife, the Jack Russell lunged at the Presa's head and locked his jaws on its cheek. The Presa was swinging the little Jack back and forth trying to dislodge him while simultaneously whimpering and crying. It took four of us to get them apart, with me prying the Jack's jaws free from the Presa's cheek. Everyone in class was concerned about the Jack given that he was only 1/5 the size and being swung around like a rag doll. The Jack? Unhurt. The Presa? He went away crying, bleeding and cowered. He didn't mis-behave for the rest of class.

I hope the little dog wins the Unc Plat standoff, too, as I have a little skin in the game...
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I recall our beloved Buffalo Hunter held strong to the Coinworld numbers on the 2006 W plats as gospel.

I wonder what happened to that guy? One day he was the number one authority on First Spouses (well, at least according to him) and the next day he was gone... >>

I think he is alive and well and using his alt. id to push new stuff on these boards.
  • Options
    nycounselnycounsel Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Be careful of your small dog-big dog analogy

I think the analogy holds. I recognize that sometimes the small dog can win the fight; sometimes David beats Goliath. My only point is that odds are against it.
    Dan
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a little amused at this debate over the 2008-W Unc mintages. Until it became apparent that the Proofs had been short-struck, the Uncs were being watched closely, in terms of the ordering patterns and sales numbers. 7over8 was the one doing most of the watching. I've not found any holes in his observations. In addition, Eric gave some encouraging remarks early on about the Uncs as well.

Then, the Proofs became big news. That's all well and good. Still, nothing has changed with the Uncs. There were inexplicably large bumps in the sales orders right when the Uncs sold out, and 7over8's analysis was that some of them went dark well before the sales orders came in. Then, the Mint bumped up all of the numbers.

Now I'm not pumping either the Uncs or the Proofs, but (except for the 1/4 ozers) the Uncs are still lower mintage coins than the Proofs. Collect what you want, and enjoy what you want - but the Kings are still the 2006-W Uncs. Maybe the 2008-W Uncs still have a shot, maybe not. I still think that they do. But I just don't understand the taunting, in both directions.

Sincerely, jm(w unc, w proof, buff, gold w unc) ski.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jimski is absolutely correct!!!

The 2006 W Unc plats are still the kings until proven otherwise. everything else is just speculation.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file