Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>No Takers!!! image >>

Just try to relax. >>

Still hyping this coin huh Tony? I can see you are quite the spinster. "Dont show below average results, that might soften the market". How many of these do you own again Tony? >>

Look, I really don't want to argue with you about this. If you feel like it's really helpful to everyone to spread your anxiety and insecurity to others on this board, well, it's a free country. You can say whatever you like. Heaven forbid if they actually start to believe you and start selling their own coins. That's probably the best way to fulfill your own prophesy.

I believe in this coin. And I'll do whatever I can to try to help it along. If people want to sell low, then I feel good for the buyer since he/she got a really good deal. Hell, if I didn't already have 5 of these things, I'd probably be on the lookout for one too.

NGC has 1506 Registered ASE collectors. That's 1506 NGC certified coins that those individuals HAVE to have in order to complete their sets. Last I checked, only 25 have the 2008 rev 2007 coin in their. The rest don't have any registed.

As for PCGS, they have 436 members. By next year, each of those sets will need one also. That's almost 2000 coins that have to be owned by NGC and PCGS sets. It might not seem like much, but 2000 is still 2000 out of 47,000 (at most).
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just try to relax. >>

Still hyping this coin huh Tony? I can see you are quite the spinster. "Dont show below average results, that might soften the market". How many of these do you own again Tony? >>

Look, I really don't want to argue with you about this. If you feel like it's really helpful to everyone to spread your anxiety and insecurity to others on this board, well, it's a free country. You can say whatever you like. Heaven forbid if they actually start to believe you and start selling their own coins. That's probably the best way to fulfill your own prophesy. >>

MY anxiety and insecurity? Im not the one posting "dont list the bad sales, just list the good ones" and then editing my posts!!! You seem to be the insecure one here Tony. Insecure at least about the future of this specific coin. Enough so to try to manipulate sales to keep them at artificially high levels.
  • Options
    You know what gecko, just sell your coin/s. That should relieve all your worries. Hopefully, their future owners will be more positive about their future.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Rut Roh
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

His feedback was 91%. That might had something to do with it. >>

wouldn't touch him with a long pole image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

seems youall are looking to want to buy the 2008/07 at a lower price ...or rueful about being left out of the Mint party from last month , at $$ 26.00 per coinimage
  • Options
    Also, I have to add that just because there are 2000 ASE collectors that are registered on NGC and PCGS doesn't mean that they're the only collectors. I'm one of those who's a collector, but I'm not registered. I might even go out on a limb and say that there might be THOUSANDS, or even TENS OF THOUSANDS of ASE collectors out there who would all like to get one of these for themselves and who aren't registered.

And considering how popular the ASE has been this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there have been a fairly large increase in the number of ASE collectors this year (I'm one of them).

Plus, we can say fairly certainly that this coin's going to be in the Red Book next year. Once that's done, it will OFFICIALLY be a required coin for all ASE collectors. This coin's going up in value, make no mistake. And as for me "artificially pumping up the price", I have no idea what you're talking about. All I've done is ask a few questions and then share the answers. I'm just glad that the answers have all been positive. image
  • Options
    I just noticed HSN is selling ANACS 2008-W sets, error and regular strike, in SP70 for $1889 on the tibe right now.

• Options

<< <i>I just noticed HSN is selling ANACS 2008-W sets, error and regular strike, in SP70 for $1889 on the tibe right now.

image >>

And I'd have to re-iterate that no everyone goes on ebay to buy their coins. Ebay is the absolute lowest prices you'll find. It's the place where the real bargain hunters go to buy anything.
  • Options

<< <i>He never opened the boxes. Stuffed them in his leather bag, jumped in his car and was gone. >>

He is Lucky that your honest! You would have been selling him a box of 08 w/08 reverse eligible for First Strike and he would have just handed you $1700 for the wrong kind of coin. He probably got a PCGS FS MS70 for a song and was trying to get away from the seller in a hurry! image
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He never opened the boxes. Stuffed them in his leather bag, jumped in his car and was gone. >>

He is Lucky that your honest! You would have been selling him a box of 08 w/08 reverse eligible for First Strike and he would have just handed you $1700 for the wrong kind of coin. He probably got a PCGS FS MS70 for a song and was trying to get away from the seller in a hurry! image >>

Some people are funny like that, when I was a kid, I worked at a high end wheel shop in Detroit and I sold a guy named muffin a 30,000 set of wheels and tires and when he picked them up he never even looked at them just jumped in and split...
  • Options

<< <i>

He is Lucky that your honest! You would have been selling him a box of 08 w/08 reverse eligible for First Strike and he would have just handed you $1700 for the wrong kind of coin. He probably got a PCGS FS MS70 for a song and was trying to get away from the seller in a hurry! image >>

It's been my experience that the vast majority of people (including me...sometimes) are not detail oriented.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Some people are funny like that>>

Ranks number one on my stangest transaction list.

They could have been Franklin Mint Sterling rounds. image

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    There seems to be quite a few people selling their PCGS MS70's today. Sales are under $3000. They are making a big mistake!
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw two MS69FS's go for under $470 tonight as well as an MS70FS go for $2335!!!!!....Definite sign of a downturn!! image

I cannot believe this error modern will increase from these levels....JMHO!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>I saw two MS69FS's go for under $470 tonight as well as an MS70FS go for $2335!!!!!....Definite sign of a downturn!! image

I cannot believe this error modern will increase from these levels....JMHO!!! image >>

Stop trying to start trouble.

You can't possibly expect that the price will go only up and never go down, can you? If you do, then you're a fool.

Prices will go up, prices will go down. That's life. But in the long run, this you can probably bank on this coin more so than the stock market.
  • Options
    have you been around for any of the other modern pump and dumps? show me an example where one reached it's peak,
    entered the dump phase, and then took off again.
  • Options
    ElynnElynn Posts: 137 ✭✭

<< <i>have you been around for any of the other modern pump and dumps? show me an example where one reached it's peak,
    entered the dump phase, and then took off again. >>

Good point. This could however be the exception depending on numbers of coins released, if we ever really find out how many were sent out.
  • Options

<< <i>have you been around for any of the other modern pump and dumps? show me an example where one reached it's peak,

Look, if you want to sell, then go ahead. Just sell your coins and be on your merry way. It's as simple as that. I have more faith in this coin than you do, obviously. But please, by all means, feel free to dump. I'm sure that if you got in early enough, you would still make a decent profit. I already met a dealer today that thought that I should get rid of them as fast as I can...so that he can buy them off of me....hmm....he was trying to use the wisonsin quarter thing to prove his point about how this coin is going to drop.

If you want to sell, then sell. The people buying your coins will probably be a lot more optimistic, and hopefully, they'll contribute their opinions on this board instead.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I saw two MS69FS's go for under $470 tonight as well as an MS70FS go for $2335!!!!!....Definite sign of a downturn!! image

I cannot believe this error modern will increase from these levels....JMHO!!! image >>

Stop trying to start trouble.

You can't possibly expect that the price will go only up and never go down, can you? If you do, then you're a fool.

Prices will go up, prices will go down. That's life. But in the long run, this you can probably bank on this coin more so than the stock market. >>

Hey Tony, you just a bit skiddish here??

I'm just a messenger...get over it!!!

Keep on pumpin!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    you seem taken aback by anyone with a contrary opinion to yours in the matter? Not advising you or anyone
    else on what to do with their coins, but will offer alternative perspective. Is that not a contribution mr. game player?

• Options

<< <i>you seem taken aback by anyone with a contrary opinion to yours in the matter? Not advising you or anyone
    else on what to do with their coins, but will offer alternative perspective. Is that not a contribution mr. game player? >>

You could call it a "battle of wills". You're championing the idea that the coin is going to come crashing down. I disagree with you. I'm championing the idea of the coin going up steadily over time.

Either you win, or I win. That's the way I see it. If you want to come here and start panicing everyone with the silly notion that this coin is going to crash, well, then I feel that I need to come in a crush you. Get out, I say. We don't need your pessemism here.

Not to brag or anything, but I'm just one man, and I was able to contact Coin World, the ANA, PCGS, and NGC to ask them about this coin. I got some pretty good results, if I do have to say myself. I'm not expecting others to do the same, but if everyone was able to contribute what they can (ie, ask dealers about this coin, talk to friends, go to other forums), then we CAN do something. But of course, some of you think that this is price manipulation. Yes, I want my coins to go up in value. Yes, I've said it out in the open. And instead of just sitting here and waiting for the prices to happen to me, I'm going to go out and spread the word/gather information in order to make a positive contribution to this coin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>you seem taken aback by anyone with a contrary opinion to yours in the matter? Not advising you or anyone
    else on what to do with their coins, but will offer alternative perspective. Is that not a contribution mr. game player? >>

You could call it a "battle of wills". You're championing the idea that the coin is going to come crashing down. I disagree with you. I'm championing the idea of the coin going up steadily over time.

Either you win, or I win. That's the way I see it. If you want to come here and start panicing everyone with the silly notion that this coin is going to crash, well, then I feel that I need to come in a crush you. Get out, I say. We don't need your pessemism here.

Not to brag or anything, but I'm just one man, and I was able to contact Coin World, the ANA, PCGS, and NGC to ask them about this coin. I got some pretty good results, if I do have to say myself. I'm not expecting others to do the same, but if everyone was able to contribute what they can (ie, ask dealers about this coin, talk to friends, go to other forums), then we CAN do something. But of course, some of you think that this is price manipulation. Yes, I want my coins to go up in value. Yes, I've said it out in the open. And instead of just sitting here and waiting for the prices to happen to me, I'm going to go out and spread the word/gather information in order to make a positive contribution to this coin. >>

• Options
    well, my opinion in the matter is not strong enough to continue the discourse with you about.
    and i certaintly never mentioned these would "crash" as you placed that upon me.

you spoke with several publications about this coin, you must be very proud of yourself. it's something
    to hang your hat on. image
  • Options

<< <i>well, my opinion in the matter is not strong enough to continue the discourse with you about.
    and i certaintly never mentioned these would "crash" as you placed that upon me.

you spoke with several publications about this coin, you must be very proud of yourself. it's something
    to hang your hat on. >>

Thank you. I've always been taught to be humble, but yes, I am pretty proud. I was actually surprised by just how easy it was. NGC included this coin in their registry. Now, that's a least over 1500 people who HAVE to have his coin (NGC certified) in order to be considered complete with their Registry. PCGS will too, but not by next year. The Red Book will include this coin, probably next year. If there's anything else I can do to draw interest to this coin, I'm all for it. I'm just not sure exactly what to do. Maybe I should contact Numismatic News and ask them of their opinion of this coin.
  • Options

<< <i>well, my opinion in the matter is not strong enough to continue the discourse with you about.

to hang your hat on. image >>

Cullen(great poet, right? or pro running back??)......Tony has chosen the pump it up route for this anomaly ASE!!

Word has it....can only go up up up!!!!! image
  • Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I must say TonyWKoo, that you are probably an even bigger champion of this variety than even I am.
    Hope you're right and this turns out to be a BIG winner!

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>I must say TonyWKoo, that you are probably an even bigger champion of this variety than even I am.

Regards, John >>

Variety or error???? image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I must say TonyWKoo, that you are probably an even bigger champion of this variety than even I am.

Regards, John >>

Variety or error???? image >>

I don't know if you already own one or not, but if not, then I really suggest that you check ebay every few hours to get yourself a good price on this coin.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Regards, John >>

>>Variety or error???? image >>

I don't know if you already own one or not, but if not, then I really suggest that you check ebay every few hours to get yourself a good price on this coin. >>

<< Tony,you just answered the founding father of this coin. image
  • Options
    oops. My bad.
  • Options

<< <i>Variety or error???? >>

According to a post many a pages back that this would be a variety and not an error. Thus this would be needed to complete the ASE set. But nothing official yet. However there is a strong demand for this coin out there and only time will tell who is right about John Nanney's Discovery. imageimageimage

<< <i> Tony,you just answered the founding father of this coin. >>

I believe Tony was answering Goldbullys question and not John's.image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Variety or error???? >>

According to a post many a pages back that this would be a variety and not an error. Thus this would be needed to complete the ASE set. But nothing official yet. However there is a strong demand for this coin out there and only time will tell who is right about John Nanney's Discovery. imageimageimage

<< <i> Tony,you just answered the founding father of this coin. >>

I believe Tony was answering Goldbullys question and not John's.image >>

Actually, it already is official, at least for NGC it is. Check this out:

http://www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/public_sets.aspx?CategoryID=8&SetTypeID=79&sets=all

1506 Collectors registered. Only about 25 have the new 2008 Rev 2007 variety.
  • Options
    TrustNo1TrustNo1 Posts: 1,359
    I still can't see why anyone would spend phenomenal $$ on these...
  • Options
    CertifiedGoldCoinsCertifiedGoldCoins Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still can't see why anyone would spend phenomenal $$ on these... >>

My wife and daughter (and when I was a kid, my mother), non-collectors all, used to say that about every coin I ever bought. But the last ten years, since I started selling, they no longer question what I buy. Must have something to do with the money I am able to give them, off the top.

Human nature propels people to want to have things that others don't have, whether it's a Ferrari, a speedboat, McMansion, you name it. Among coin collectors, the same impulse applies. When the number of collectors who have to have something (anything) exceeds the number of available items, the price doesn't matter. Otherwise, why would someone fork over three or four million dollars for an 1804 Dollar?

Non-collectors of coins, who may own something one of us would never want, can't understand why we don't want what they like, and "foolishly" buy coins instead. And coin collectors who don't own any these can't understand why those of us who do "foolishly" buy them.

For those who own one of these, it's part of their collection, so what's the objection? For those who own a bunch of them (like myself), it's an investment, to make money to buy what we really want later. What's the objection? Even though some say that coins should not be bought to make money, I don't think anyone would buy a coin if a monetary loss was 100% guaranteed.

If someone really did think that way, they'd have to listen to their non-collecting wife (or husband) and collect butterflies instead. image
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options

<< <i>Actually, it already is official, at least for NGC it is >>

I did not know NGC made the 08/07 part of their registry....both brown and blue labels.....and in checking a few of the registered sets their are a lot of empty blanks where the 08/07 goes image
  • Options
    Tony's right! By next year these coins will be highly sought after. As for the Wisconsin extra leaf quarter dollars, the uncirculated high leafs are still selling for over $200 which translates to over $800 if multiplied by 4 to equal $1.00.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still can't see why anyone would spend phenomenal $$ on these... >>

To a degree I understand your sentiment. On the other hand, consider this :
    There are less than the mint's "doomsday scenario" of 47,000 image (that was the max that could have been minted based on how many dies there were, not the actual number minted)
    There are more than 47,000 people wanting it .... This creates instant fame and a competitive desire to own one. Hence, a cost driven by demand.
    Supplies haven't increased, only demand.
  • Options
    Agreed! What about that 25000 estimate out of some mint spokesperson, any truth to that? I still think there is way less than 47000.
  • Options
    jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    168 auctions
    -69 63/168 37.5%
    -70 50/168 29.8
    Other 55/168 32.7
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the consignor still made out OK. image
  • Options
    <<I still can't see why anyone would spend phenomenal $$ on these>>

This can be applied to anything, why did some spend $4k on a XBOX 360?

Why did an auction end at $150k for a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang?

Why do people spend thousands for a HD tv?

• Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭

I've got one, the george washington coin covers limited to 50,000 after the sell out did very well, then entered the pump and dump phase with many boxes of 50 selling in and around $1,100.00 a box or roughly pulling 300 net off a box for weeks, then after 2 1/2 months or so, several boxes of 50 went for 2,000+. Not that I'm comparing the 2 cause they're way different, but just one example. Right now there seems to be a large number of sellers just wanting to dump these which guess what, drives down the price. Where will it go, I say up but not a bad risk for a $26-$40 coin with grading fees...Another, more comparable would be the 2006 20th anniv silver eagle sets, these didn't hit peak for awhile either after the sellout, but peaked again several months later (may June 07), and there are 250,000 of those...
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

to hang your hat on. >>

Thank you. I've always been taught to be humble, but yes, I am pretty proud. I was actually surprised by just how easy it was. NGC included this coin in their registry. Now, that's a least over 1500 people who HAVE to have his coin (NGC certified) in order to be considered complete with their Registry. PCGS will too, but not by next year. The Red Book will include this coin, probably next year. If there's anything else I can do to draw interest to this coin, I'm all for it. I'm just not sure exactly what to do. Maybe I should contact Numismatic News and ask them of their opinion of this coin. >>

Uhhhhh Tony, not everybody that participates in a registry, whether its PCSG or NGC, will complete a Silver Eagle Set much less feel they absolutely HAVE to HAVE on of these.

I just pulled up registry set #558 and this fellow only has 1 coin listed and it ain't the 08/07 SAE.

Registry set #757 also only has 1 coin. The only folks that absolutely have to have one, as far as the registry is concerned, are the folks that are at 100% complete prior to this coin being added.

With each statement you make, your naivety shines through.

The reality of this situation is that these coins have probably hit their peak and will simply not continue to rise. Most everybody that wanted one either has one or has been priced out of getting one.

Yes, there may be scattered situations of some eager buyer paying big bucks for one but on the average, I think you'll see prices begin to come down to more realistic levels.

The wave was definitely fun to watch (and to ride) but it's cresting and what remains to be seen is how many folks get left on the beach, holding onto their dreams that this coin will continue to increase in price only to slowly realize that the party is nearly.

In a couple of years, lets revisit the prices on these and exactly how many folks actually HAD to have them to complete their collections.

Edited to add: My guess is that the folks that really had to have these, now have them and the only thing left are the speculators and flippers. Once they realize that they may not make a profit on these, they'll sell them and the market will again get flooded except this time, folks won;t be in a buying panic but will hold back on their bids.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Just try to relax. >>

This is the same guy who wants to control the market and price on these things and gets bent out of shape when someone lists several 08/07s at the same time, right?
  • Options
    Look, I'm going to make this short, so that all of you can understand. You don't like coin, you sell it. You like coin, you either buy or hold on to it. It's as simple as that.

I don't have the time, nor the inclination to continue this "discussion".
  • Options
    161 auctions now, using "2008 reverse", as key words, on Ebay.

• Options
    2manycoins2fewfunds2manycoins2fewfunds Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭
    Some of those auctions are for multiple coins.
  • Options

<< <i>161 auctions now, using "2008 reverse", as key words, on Ebay. >>

The less number of auctions, the better.

Latest issue of Coin World, Coast to Coast coins still selling for $675.

Chattanooga Coin, Inc selling NGC 70 (not early release) for $899
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    Yeah!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file