Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thanks to John Nanney's Discovery, 2008 ASE's with 2007 reverse going through the roof

Comments

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many times some of these examples have been flipped?

Probably 2 or 3 by now.

I would think eventually these will be absorbed into collections, and stay there.

Then there may be another rise in prices, we'll see.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>161 auctions now, using "2008 reverse", as key words, on Ebay. >>

The less number of auctions, the better.

Latest issue of Coin World, Coast to Coast coins still selling for $675.

Chattanooga Coin, Inc selling NGC 70 (not early release) for $899 >>

They can ask as much as they want, whether they sell any at that price is another story all together.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

• << <i>

<< <i>

They can ask as much as they want, whether they sell any at that price is another story all together. >>

That may be true, but the fact that they're even advertising this coin is a good sign. At least more and more people will be aware of it based on their full page ads. And the more people know, then the more money will be put into the pot.

You know, it's interesting that you've suddenly taken this position 19lyds. Did you just sell your stash on ebay?

EDIT: I just emailed Numistatic News about this coin. Hopefully, they'll respond. If not, I'll try giving them a call also.

EDIT to EDIT: If there's going to be panic selling, then I'd expect the number of listings to explode.
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    PCGS numbers

first strike MS68 -1
    MS69 -1482
    MS70 -165
    reg 07 with 07 rev
    MS68 -10
    MS69 -743
    MS70 -52
    reg 08 with 08 rev
    MS68 -4
    MS69 -5260
    MS70 -870

Thats only 2453 with 07 reverse.
    6130 with 08 reverse.

• jsfjsf Posts: 1,889
    pitboss, don't you mean reg08's?

heck, I'm not reading that right...
    You are correct reg 08's.
    I am not able to change it as I did not start the thread. sorry!

• << <i>You are correct reg 08's.
    I am not able to change it as I did not start the thread. sorry! >>

Can't you just edit the message?
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    I have a chance of buying that dreadful first strike coin again PCGS 69 08/07 reverse 1st Strike for $375.00 should I pull the plug? Let me know and if anyone needs one I will make a deal.
    Got it Tony. thanks
  • stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭

<< <i>I have a chance of buying that dreadful first strike coin again PCGS 69 08/07 reverse 1st Strike for $375.00 should I pull the plug? Let me know and if anyone needs one I will make a deal. >>

Why is it only $375.00 am I missing something?

Jeff

• Oops..forgot it is Monday...

NGC Pop = 12,045 which is an increase of 406 over last week

2008 W EAGLE S$1 REVERSE OF 2007 MS 5201 3 2564 2634
    2008 W EAGLE REV OF 07 S$1 EARLY RELEASES MS 6844 1 3751 3092

• << <i>I have a chance of buying that dreadful first strike coin again PCGS 69 08/07 reverse 1st Strike for $375.00 should I pull the plug? Let me know and if anyone needs one I will make a deal. >>

How fast can you get it to me?
  • Tony, why is nearly every single one of your posts edited? Practically every one. Just curious. Are you one of those who proofreads after you click "reply to thread"?
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Tony, why is nearly every single one of your posts edited? Practically every one. Just curious. Are you one of those who proofreads after you click "reply to thread"? >>

Hey, come on man. I have edited over eleven thousand , six hundred and ninety four of my posts. Of those, nine thousand, three hundred and eighty seven have been poofed. Give the guy a break, he's not even to 100 yet

• << <i>Tony, why is nearly every single one of your posts edited? Practically every one. Just curious. Are you one of those who proofreads after you click "reply to thread"? >>

What does this have to do with anything? Why don't you ask me if I shampoo first, then condition, or the other way around? Or if I use an electric vs manual toothbrush?
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Look, I'm going to make this short, so that all of you can understand. You don't like coin, you sell it. You like coin, you either buy or hold on to it. It's as simple as that.

I don't have the time, nor the inclination to continue this "discussion". >>

Hey TK, looks like time is on your side!!!!! image

• << <i>I have a chance of buying that dreadful first strike coin again PCGS 69 08/07 reverse 1st Strike for $375.00 should I pull the plug? Let me know and if anyone needs one I will make a deal. >>

YaHa, are you serious about this coin, or are you just pulling everyone's leg here? At that price, I'd be willing to buy as many as my bank account can support.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will PCGS include the 08REV07 ASE in their registery Sets? I think they will. Its only a matter of time. imo

• << <i>Will PCGS include the 08REV07 ASE in their registery Sets? I think they will. Its only a matter of time. imo >>

fivecents, you don't have to "think" they will. They will. Here's the email I got from them:

Hello Tony

The 2008-W American Silver Eagle with 2007 Reverse will not be required until early 2009 and I’m not sure in which set at this time.

Thank you.

Jaye Woodward
    Collectors Universe
    Set Registry Coordinator
    949-567-1234 ext. 295
    949-833-7660[i/]
    Early 2009 huh?

<< <i>and I’m not sure in which set at this time. >>

That part of the quote worries me. Are they going to put the 07 REV in some obscure registry set or the regular MS ASE set.

• << <i>Early 2009 huh?

<< <i>and I’m not sure in which set at this time. >>

That part of the quote worries me. Are they going to put the 07 REV in some obscure registry set or the regular MS ASE set. >>

I can't say for certain. But I'm assuming it'll be in the main set, considering that's the case with NGC and that this coin will almost certainly be in next year's Red Book. But I could be wrong.
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    if you want to "push" for some "inclusion" of this coin in various venues,

one of the most important being the Greysheet or CDN

once/if they pick this up and publish bid/ask for this variety - it will certainly gain more popularity
  • 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    forget about the registries for now
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

They can ask as much as they want, whether they sell any at that price is another story all together. >>

if they're not selling at their asking price, they'll drop the price.. watch subsequent issues' ads.. then you'll have your answer..
    "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..

• << <i>if you want to "push" for some "inclusion" of this coin in various venues,

one of the most important being the Greysheet or CDN

once/if they pick this up and publish bid/ask for this variety - it will certainly gain more popularity >>

Hm.....that's a really good point. I'll target that one too. I've already emailed Numismatic News and Whitman Publishing. Now, I'll send another email to CDN/Greysheet. When they don't respond by tommorrow, I'll give them a call on Wed morning.
    The 08REV07 has already been talked about in "The Market in Depth" on the front cover of the weekly Greysheet.
    The greeysheet won't publish any pricing for the 08REV07 ASE until the regular 2008 ASE sellout. Then both coins will be added to the greysheet pricing list.imo

<< <i>You know, it's interesting that you've suddenly taken this position 19lyds. Did you just sell your stash on ebay? >>

Mr. Koo, I have never changed my position on these coins! I have always stated that this is a buying frenzy which is typical of the "I gotta have it's" on eBay and I have always stated that this wave will end, the prices will level off, and perhaps even come down. There are certain indicator's which currently support this that you, in your current frenzy and excitement are choosing to ignore!

I resent that you even imply that I have "suddenly" changed my position and that I have sold my "stash" on eBay. BTW, I still have the three I reported earlier in this thread.

I would suggest that you gather your facts before posting your infamatory responses!

I would also suggest that you ride a couple of these waves before adamantly stating that these coins will continue to rise in price because from my historical perspective, they usually do not. They hit a saturation peak, and then they level off usually at a more reasonable price.

Peace Medal Nickel US Mint rolls come to mind.
    Wisconsin Extra Leaf Quarters come to mind.
    Speared Bison Nickels come to mind.
    Minnesota Extra Tree Quarters come to mind.
    2006-W SAE's come to mind.
    Missing Edge Letter Presidential Dollars come to mind.
    Doubled Edge Lettered Presidential Dollars come to mind.

These have all occured within the last 3 years and there will always be something new on the horizon to take the fire out of the 2008/07'sn from a pricing perspective.

I do think the coin is unique in that it is the ONLY error/variety produced by the US Mint since 1986 but, that does not mean that there will not be more at some point in time.
    There were, after all, the Gold Eagle error's using unfinished Proof die's or did you not know about that one?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • hrlaserhrlaser Posts: 1,133 ✭✭

<< <i>. I've already emailed Numismatic News and Whitman Publishing. Now, I'll send another email to CDN/Greysheet. When they don't respond by tommorrow, I'll give them a call on Wed morning. >>

hey Tony.. go into your bored Preferences here (it's the "customize" button above the top blue bar.. and turn on the ability to receive private messages.. you have it turned off.. i can give you some useful contact information and other information.. and despite the battering you may be getting from some denizens of this dog fight.. some of whom seem to have some kind of morbid agenda to WANT to see this coin fail (which leads me to believe they don't own any and it's nothing more than sour grapes).. i'm with ya, buddy.. these guys who've done 10,000 or 20,000 postings (and where they find the time to do that, i can't even comprehend.. ) .. all started out with ONE posting.. the best way to deal with someone who cops an attitude towards you, or tries to shove a sizzling red-hot "NEWBIE" branding iron on your forehead is to just ignore them.. but i've read all 4k posts here, continue to read them, have a personal interest in the 08/07s.. wish i had 95 of them like what's his name does.. (if he still does).. but i'm not ordering any more from the Mint in the hopes of getting lucky.. nor am i buying any more in slabs (unless i hit the lotto).. nor am i selling.. not yet, anyway..

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.. I don't do these things to other people.. I require the same of them.."
    - John Wayne, "The Shootist" (1976.. his final film)..
  • OK, I think I can receive PM's now.

19Lyds, no one knows what’s going to happen in the future. Chances are, yes, this coin is/will go down in value, and then it’ll stabilize and go up steadily. When it’s going to drop, or how fast it’s going to rise again, no one will know.

But honestly, if you’re upset by the fact that I’m trying to “spread the word”, well, sorry, I just can’t help you there. It doesn’t really matter to me if this coin goes up or down. I’m still going to do what I can to fight for it. That means contacting publications, organizations…and anything else I can think of to get this thing as much exposure as possible. Are we going to win in the end? I can’t tell you. Are we going to lose in the end? I don’t know for certain. But what I do know is that I’ll do what I can, and that’s all I can ever promise your or to myself. So….that’s what I’m doing. To me, the score doesn’t matter nearly as much as how much I try.

<< <i>

<< <i>. I've already emailed Numismatic News and Whitman Publishing. Now, I'll send another email to CDN/Greysheet. When they don't respond by tommorrow, I'll give them a call on Wed morning. >>

hey Tony.. go into your bored Preferences here (it's the "customize" button above the top blue bar.. and turn on the ability to receive private messages.. you have it turned off.. i can give you some useful contact information and other information.. and despite the battering you may be getting from some denizens of this dog fight.. some of whom seem to have some kind of morbid agenda to WANT to see this coin fail (which leads me to believe they don't own any and it's nothing more than sour grapes).. i'm with ya, buddy.. these guys who've done 10,000 or 20,000 postings (and where they find the time to do that, i can't even comprehend.. ) .. all started out with ONE posting.. the best way to deal with someone who cops an attitude towards you, or tries to shove a sizzling red-hot "NEWBIE" branding iron on your forehead is to just ignore them.. but i've read all 4k posts here, continue to read them, have a personal interest in the 08/07s.. wish i had 95 of them like what's his name does.. (if he still does).. but i'm not ordering any more from the Mint in the hopes of getting lucky.. nor am i buying any more in slabs (unless i hit the lotto).. nor am i selling.. not yet, anyway.. >>

HR, there are no "morbid" agenda's here, just experience. We've seen it before and I'm sure we'll see it again.

The name is LEE!
  • 19Lyds, I think I understand what's going on now. You don't want to get your hopes up since you've seen this type of trend so many times before.

Look, I'm not promising ANYTHING. I can't tell you the future. All I can say is that I'll do whatever I can, and that's it. Anything beyond that is out of my control. It's possible/probable that this coin will, at some point, hit a floor, then it'll go up again. But none of this matters to me. I'm going to keep on fighting, even if the value is dropping day by day.
  • Wow, got a response from CDN already

To: "Tony Koo" <t_koo@yahoo.com>
    Subject: Re: 2008 American Silver Eagle w/ 2007 Reverse
    Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:11:13 -0800

It's in every other week-in the weekly CDN-page 3B. Will be in the 6/27 issue.

----- Original Message -----
    To: orders@greysheet.com
    Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 1:29 PM
    Subject: 2008 American Silver Eagle w/ 2007 Reverse

Hi CDN,

I wanted to ask you a question. Concerning the 2008 American Silver Eagle w/ 2007 Reverse, are you thinking of including this in your Grey Sheet price guide? Thanks for your attention and your time.

-Tony Koo

So, is it already there? I can't tell, I don't subscribe to the Grey Sheet. Can someone please confirm?
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    I must have really missed something in the last few hundred posts, now there are people "fighting" for this coin? image

Edited to add, I don't even know what that would mean! image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?

• << <i>I must have really missed something in the last few hundred posts, now there are people "fighting" for this coin? image

Edited to add, I don't even know what that would mean! image >>

"THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES....BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE....OUR FREEEEDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" image
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I must have really missed something in the last few hundred posts, now there are people "fighting" for this coin? image

Actually there is a blatant pumper on this thread, have you noticed????? image
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I must have really missed something in the last few hundred posts, now there are people "fighting" for this coin? image

Actually there is a blatant pumper on this thread, have you noticed????? image >>

A pumper or promoter? There is nothing wrong with promoting something. It happens all the time.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.

<< <i>But honestly, if you’re upset by the fact that I’m trying to “spread the word”, >>

The only thing you said that "upset" me was the implication that I had changed my "position" on these coins. Other than that, I'm not really upset at all.

As for the: "You don't want to get your hopes up since you've seen this type of trend so many times before."

I've never entertained any "hopes" with regard to this coin as I have a couple of other "hopes" I'd much rather entertain and anybody that knows me on these boards will certainly vouch for that! image

Let's put it this TonyWKoo, if your 5 SAE's turn into $1,000 or $10,000 coins, I'm all for it! 100% because that means the three I have set aside will be worth just as much! And the 100 or so that Joe Dealer up the street has, well, gosh, he'll be able to retire to the French Riviera and live the good life!

Experience tells me that this simply is not going to happen and prices appear to already be leveling off and in some cases going down which is more than typical for this scenario.

RedBook, Grey Sheet, NGC Registry, PCGS Registry, Coin World, Numismatic News, try not to think that these actually "create" a market because they don't. They "react" to and "report" on the market. Coin World has already reported as well as Numismatic News. As a matter of fact, they were probably responsible, in part, for the size of the wave that formed for these. However, once they lose the limelight, then its just gone and folks move on to something else.

But then, you already know this right?

The name is LEE!

<< <i>I'm considering buying a bezel for one of mine, and a huge, gaudy chain & making it into a big ole bling! image

Hell, it only cost me 26 bucks! ! ! image

Regards, John >>

Might as well use a regular Eagle because no one would know the difference.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I'm considering buying a bezel for one of mine, and a huge, gaudy chain & making it into a big ole bling! image

Regards, John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
    I will be darned.....THE 08REV07 IS IN THE GREYSHEET!!!!!image
    June 13 greysheet Weekly Bid/$520.......Ask/$565.image
  • Wow...cool! image

• << <i>Wow...cool! image >>

Christ there you go again! You can't even type a 'Wow...cool' without the edit? Unbelievable
    MAN, That's great news! ! ! image

HUMM, Maybe I won't make one a bling afterall! image
    It is now a shoe in for the PCGS ASE registry set. Also it will be in the redbook!

<< <i>I'm considering buying a bezel for one of mine, and a huge, gaudy chain & making it into a big ole bling! image

Regards, John >>

Since you are here-did they ever grant you a discovery coin designation? I may have missed that earlier so appologies if I did.
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭
    march onward to 4200 posts..... prices 2008/07 on the bay starting to tighten ..less product available ????
  • CONGRADULATIONS EVERYONE!!! WOO HOO!!!

(incidentally, I asked if they could list it weekly, instead of bi-weekly. was this a good move?)
    Since you are here-did they ever grant you a discovery coin designation? I may have missed that earlier so appologies if I did.

NOPE! image
    I actually thought that it would be good publicity and public relations for a grading co. to do this . . . Guess not. image

Regards, John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file