Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    You wouldn't neccessarily have to put the smr value as declared value though, right? If I had a card with SMR $550 and put the declared value as $495, you would be able to get it graded for $15. I highly doubt that they look up SMR forevery card sent for review. I'm sure if there is too big of a difference they would look into it? Who knows how that works..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You wouldn't neccessarily have to put the smr value as declared value though, right? If I had a card with SMR $550 and put the declared value as $495, you would be able to get it graded for $15. I highly doubt that they look up SMR forevery card sent for review. I'm sure if there is too big of a difference they would look into it? Who knows how that works..

Dave >>

Yeah, I don't know how closely they are checking review subs either..What I CAN tell you is if you list a card at $500 declared value on a $15 submission, PSA will pull that card and place it on a seperate $35 submission...The new tiers require cards valued at $500 or more to go to the $35 grading tier, $499 or less equals the $15 tier..I found this out on my last review sub...Card didn't even bump (thanks Gale Sayers..lol)

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

• << <i>H
    I also am sending the following to PSA for review:

1948 Leaf Van Buren PSA 7
    1952 Bowman Small McElhenny PSA 8
    1963 Topps Wilson PSA 9
    1967 Philadelphia Smith PSA 8
    1967 Philadelphia Wilcox PSA 8
    1971 Topps Bradshaw PSA 9
    1972 Topps Thomas PSA 9
    1972 Topps Wright PSA 9
    1974 Topps DeLamielleure PSA 9

I'll let you know if I get any bumps.

Marc >>

Shoe shine Marc.
    Hopefully that Bradshaw of yours get bumped so you can finally add that "rag" to your set.

for those of you who dont know, Marc is to damn stubborn to add a crappy old card like a Bradshaw 9 to his "none higher" set, because, you guessed it, there are 3 psa 10's out there. Another example I have pulled my hair out in many conversations with marc, he would never condescend himself to buy a psa 8 Nagurski, because, of course, there is a PSA 9 out there.

So watch your back Isaacson, Marc is gunning for your Nag-9 image

oe
  • Then of course there is poor old Joe who my not gun for the none higher but lives by the 3 pop rule if there are 3 of them you can bet Joe has 1.
    Then its like tossing us dogs a bone when he sells us his old hand me downs.
    Joe likes to live on the edge so for fun he tosses that has been psa 8 or 9 to the rest of us and watches us fight over it ,I guess he is like the Mike Vick of card collecting with us poor slobs being the dogs, but i must say Joe has some mighty tasty bones image.
    Dont laugh at Marc having to get a Bronko 9 Joe 1 day there might be 3 then you will need 1 imageimageimageimage
    Joe please dont take it the wrong way i love tasty treats image

JUST KIDDING OF COURSE CANT ASK FOR A BETTER GUY THEN JOE he has been a great help with my set as all the rookie crew has been ,Best bunch of collectors i have ever worked with

• JS -

YOU ARE A FUNNY GUY.

ROOKIES FOR SALE

Seriously, hope no one minds.

This way everyone here will get the first opportunity before I list on the B-S-T board.

ROOKIES -- ALL NQ

HALL OF FAMERS

1970 Topps # 25 Jan Stenerud PSA 9
    1977 Topps # 29 Leroy Selmon PSA 9
    1987 Topps # 207 Gary Zimmerman PSA 9

REGISTRY // NON-HALL OF FAMERS

1978 Topps # 287 Joe Klecko PSA 9 -- JETS
    1985 Topps USFL # 49 Gary Clark PSA 10 -- REDSKINS
    1986 Topps # 248 Lomas Brown PSA 9 -- LIONS
    1990 Pro Set # 568 Rich Gannon PSA 9 -- RAIDERS
    1991 Ultra Update # U-27 Herman Moore PSA 10 -- LIONS
    1991 Ultra Update # U-67 Mo Lewis PSA 9 -- JETS
    1991 Ultra Update # U-67 Mo Lewis PSA 10 -- JETS
    1992 Topps # 357 Tony Mayberry PSA 10 -- BUCCANEERS
    1993 SP # 211 Larry Centers PSA 10 -- CARDINALS
    1994 Playoff # 300 Larry Allen PSA 8 -- FUTURE HOF MODERN
    1994 Stadium Club # 401 Keenan McCardell PSA 9
    1995 Select Certified # 126 Terrell Davis PSA 10
    1995 SP # 3 Steve McNair PSA 10
    1995 SP # 130 Terrell Davis PSA 9 -- FUTURE HOF MODERN
    1995 SP # 147 Tony Boselli PSA 9
    1996 Finest # 344 Brian Dawkins PSA 9
    1996 SP # 1 Keyshawn Johnson PSA 9
    1996 SP # 3 Simeon Rice PSA 8
    1999 Pacific # 343 Kurt Warner PSA 9 -- SB MVP
    2003 Playoff Prestige # 139 Dexter Jackson PSA 8 -- SB MVP

Email offers to madmandreamer@aol.com

MAD
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • I see my fellow Skins football fan just added a Wojo psa 9.

WOW as all i can say
  • WOW indeed. I'd pay, like, ten bucks to have the scans of those cards up on the registry.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    The set's been updated boys, so go ahead and update your hearts out. image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    And it's so nice to still be at 100%..lol

I e-mailed Gayle to remind her that Monk, Green and Zimmerman still need to come off the future modern set...So they should be deleted very soon.

The additions we voted for on the modern and senior sets should be added by next week or the week after...Poll has to run a month and she sent them out on 31 Jan..Probably give it another week or so after that.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Anyone going to the Reading PA show this weekend ?
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone going to the Reading PA show this weekend ? >>

I'm going out Saturday. Anyone else?
  • I'm also hitting the show up on Saturday. So I hope to catch up with you guys.

• gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    With the addition of 5 of the 6 new HOFers, I have finally broken the top 20!!

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Congrats!! Very nice accomplishment with this set. I have been hovering in the teens for several years now.....LOL...

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Even more than the ranking, to me its the time put into the set...I've seen QUITE A FEW top sets/collectors come and go in the last 5 years that this set has been on the Registry.

It says a lot to me when guys stick with it for the long haul...Congrats on making the top 20, hope you stick with us long enough to make the top 10 as well!

Jason

• << <i>With the addition of 5 of the 6 new HOFers, I have finally broken the top 20!!

Greg M. >>

Hey, thanks for the wake-up call. I hadn't realized the new guys were added yet image
    Yeah....We've definatly come a long way since THIS

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!

<< <i>Yeah....We've definatly come a long way since THIS >>

Wow, April 2003...I think the set got loaded to the registry around Feb 2003???

Most of the original crew, I think wirelesslanman sold off after the first month or so..Some of his cards still reside in my collection. Anyone know what happened to him?

Jason

• << <i>

<< <i>With the addition of 5 of the 6 new HOFers, I have finally broken the top 20!!

Greg M. >>

Hey, thanks for the wake-up call. I hadn't realized the new guys were added yet image >>

Looks like Greg's stay in the Top 20 may be short-lived, for now. I too look forward to the day when I can view my set without having to "Click here to view the entire current finest list." LOL

Brian, are you going to upgrade your 79 set at all once it is complete? It's getting tougher to find the ones I need and #4 keeps outbidding me so he will probably catch me soon.

Jasen

• << <i>Yeah....We've definatly come a long way since THIS >>

wow!!! I was at 7% completion then. It's been a blast and I can't believe I'm at almost 90% now. The last 10% will probably take me another 5 years.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher

• << <i>

Brian, are you going to upgrade your 79 set at all once it is complete? It's getting tougher to find the ones I need and #4 keeps outbidding me so he will probably catch me soon.

Jasen >>

Hey Jasen! My plan right now is to buy 14 more commons and be done. I have a lot of extras (200 or so) and surely some of those could help you out. I just noticed you have 7 of the 14 commons I need image Maybe we can work out a 2 or 3 for 1 trade assuming similar pops. Shoot me an email if you want me to look through what I have that you can use. Talk to you later.

<< <i>With the addition of 5 of the 6 new HOFers, I have finally broken the top 20!! >>

I was in 28th place before the new set weightings dropped me down to 29th. I entered in all 6 new HOF'ers yesterday, all in PSA 9...and I'm still in 29th place image I don't care of course. I think it's pretty funny actually.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Dave,

Thats a cool link. It even links to the old sets at that point.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • What do you guys think I would be looking at for a Pihos 6? Only 2 show up on VCP, one at $167 on 10/26/06 and one at $295.00 on 5/31/07. Let me know what you guys think, thanks.
  • Have a real real nice 1950 Motley 7 available if any of the crew here needs it.
    This is a strong 7 perfect centering 2 nm/mt corners 2 nm corners scan if you want but trust me you will like it.

Price is $335 AVG PRICE OF LAST 5 VCP SALES that is delivered with del confirmation pm me or email me at jelly_man@msn.com first come first serve as always
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Wish I had my tax refund!

Between the Tittle 7, Motley 7 and a couple other cards I need I could spend til I was bankrupt. You guys are killing me. lol

<< <i>Wish I had my tax refund!

Between the Tittle 7, Motley 7 and a couple other cards I need I could spend til I was bankrupt. You guys are killing me. lol >>

I wish I was getting a refund...lol...Actually paying out a little this year...image

Jason
  • A little off topic...

I am looking forward to finally getting to my first National.

I just got the first email about the National and the announcement of confirmed autograph guests --

Bobby Hull for us hockey guys..we'll the National is going to be in that toddlin' town.

List includes NFL HOFers Chuck Bednarik, Jim Brown, Willie Davis, Eric Dickerson, Paul Hornung, Steve Largent, Jackie Slater, Bart Starr, Lawrence Taylor, Y.A. Tittle, Randy White....

Marc (MAD)
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
    We should try to get a dinner or something together for us HOF RC folk.... I will be there wednesday through saturday and my friday night is already taken. Anyone up for food and brew on thursday night?

I think i mentioned this earlier in the thread but there is a nice pub/restaraunt about a mile south of the Conv center on River road. Any interest?

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Two nice PSA specials this month...Anyone else sending in some review subs??

$5 Special--1972-2002 (under $100 value), 10 card minimum
    $12/10 day (under $500 value)

Jason

Just had my grades pop. Some future HOF'ers if anyone is interested. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the Roaf or Vinatieri 10's or not. If I got a nice offer I may part with them, but that Fut HOF set is fun to do. image

I'm going to keep the Sapp and Brooks 10's

Heres a link. The ROY cards Arny gets first crack at. There are a bunch of others for the Packers HOF set as well.

LINKY

<< <i>Two nice PSA specials this month...Anyone else sending in some review subs??

$5 Special--1972-2002 (under $100 value), 10 card minimum
    $12/10 day (under $500 value)

Jason >>

Dang it. Guess I'll be packing up another sub to send off. I've got 50+ Pre-1972 cards I can send in for the $8 bulk, might have to rethink that one. I've got another 300+ for the 1972-2002 though. Plus some reviews. Better get those ready tonight too. What timing. lol

• << <i>Just had my grades pop. Some future HOF'ers if anyone is interested. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the Roaf or Vinatieri 10's or not. If I got a nice offer I may part with them, but that Fut HOF set is fun to do. image

I'm going to keep the Sapp and Brooks 10's

Heres a link. The ROY cards Arny gets first crack at. There are a bunch of others for the Packers HOF set as well.

LINKY >>

I am glad to see you got good grades on cards previously rejected as trimmed. I don't submit a whole lot of stuff, but I bought a gorgeous Tarkenton RC at last year's National and submitted it on-site with a Payton RC, and the Tark came back with the dreaded "Evid-Trim" on it. I just sent it back with a different batch of cards, so I'm hoping I get a grade this time. I have compared it to some of the ones in the HOF RC set that have pics listed, and it's nicer than almost all of the 8s (even Jason's, who I know is Mr. "Buy the Card, Not the Holder")......LOL

Jasen
    It's one thing to get a card rejected that you are unsure of the origin. But in this case, it was cards that I personally pulled from packs I got from BBCE and sent in. I think the 8.5 grade is low on the CMart considering McNair got a 10 out of the same box, but whatever. image

I'll do well with the submission. I'm still waiting for Arny to realize our grades popped. lol

<< <i> I have compared it to some of the ones in the HOF RC set that have pics listed, and it's nicer than almost all of the 8s (even Jason's, who I know is Mr. "Buy the Card, Not the Holder")......LOL

Jasen >>

Mine Tark is pretty ugly, but I also got it cheap...I don't/can't always buy the absolute top end cards...Price and availability always play a part...Sometimes the uglier ones are cheaper/in my price range...lol

Jason

<< <i>$5 Special--1972-2002 (under $100 value), 10 card minimum
    $12/10 day (under $500 value) >>

I just finished getting together one order for each of these specials. Going out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.
  • 54 04407043 1976 TOPPS 158 RANDY WHITE N/A 9

I pulled this one from one of the wax breaks last year here on the boards! image

Scan will be done when I get it in hand. Woo hoo!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Joe,

Got your scraps in the mail today, thanks again! DB, got the Friedman also, thanks!

Jasen

• << <i>Joe,

Got your scraps in the mail today, thanks again! DB, got the Friedman also, thanks!

Jasen >>

Your welcom Jasen.

Sorry about the coffee stains on that holder, I use most of my old cards as coasters, or ice scrapers. Yak told me they make great door stoppers too.
  • BigelowBiggers debuts at #21... I fear my days on the front page listing are limited.

In other odd names news, cobradictatoroverlord outbids Jason on a Hayes RC for his first purchase ever...
    Well, I am now in 11th place. I have a feeling Jay will fix that soon enough though. image

Here is the Cliff Battles I've been promising, I picked it up today.

Very Nice card...Congrats on the pickup.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    Thanks Dave. Love the centering and color. Corners aren't nearly as nice as the Hinkle 7 so I'm doubtful it gets a .5 bump. Still a great card and I got it under VCP so that's always nice. image
    Hmmm, the thread shows plenty of activity, but the last post I'm able to view is from 11AM yesterday. I've had this happen on a few threads over the past week. Any ideas what the cause may be?
    Disregard. As soon as I posted, the thread gave me the "missing" posts. Very odd!

• << <i>Hmmm, the thread shows plenty of activity, but the last post I'm able to view is from 11AM yesterday. I've had this happen on a few threads over the past week. Any ideas what the cause may be? >>

I have noticed this happens whenever a page fills up. For some reason it doesn't create a new page with the very next post. If you click the picture of the little printer in someone's post it will pull up the entire thread in text format and you can just go straight to the end to see the phantom posts.

Jasen
    I always have to type in the page number in the URL. If it says "STARTPAGE=177" I just change it to 178 and it works. PSA boards have had this problem off and on for a few months now. Mostly with threads with a LOT of posts.

• << <i>I always have to type in the page number in the URL. If it says "STARTPAGE=177" I just change it to 178 and it works. PSA boards have had this problem off and on for a few months now. Mostly with threads with a LOT of posts. >>

Thanks for the tip! After getting tapped out by Jeff, Joe and Dan, I am gearing up for another round of buying! I have a couple of 2000 SP Authentic boxes and my 2nd year Payton 9 up this week (still have the Tittle 7 available too). I would like to pick up a Pihos 6 if any of you guys want to upgrade to Jeff's 7, let me know!

Jasen
  • I've seen this page turning issue too. I go to the customize button on the top right and change the number on the "How many messages do you want listed when you enter a thread?". Works everytime!!
    David
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
    ...And then there were 4.

I added a PSA 7 Ditka last night, if another bidder hadn't jumped in with a $375 snipe I would have won it for $287. D'oh, I hate when that happens.

So I am down to needing the following to get to 100%:
    Gifford (PSA 6 Large or 7 Small)
    Nagurski - I hope there is one at Nationals. I've already told the wife to walk away when I go to buy it. image
    Thorpe - PSA 5/6
    Grange - PSA 5/6

I WILL finish this set this year. Then I don't know what I'm going to do. Do I do what Marc did and take 10 steps back to make one step forward. Selling a handful of mid-grade to buy one high grade, or do I upgrade as I can afford and sell off the "scraps" as I upgrade them, making my cash flow a lot tighter.

I have to update my logo to be #11 now. #10 is quite a ways off yet so DAP is safe. His set is only 83% complete and is still better than mine. lol
    Oh well. I'm getting there. image

Oh, and my 8 card HOF review should pop today some time. If it's good, I'll post it. If it sucks, I may not ever send in a review order again. I'm 0-2 so far.