Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Congrats!! You will be 10th as soon as Gabbs deletes the cards he has sold.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Yeah, That kinda feels like cheating though. image

Althought, Pete sold off his set and Mike dropped out of the top 12 too. That's been long enough now that I don't feel bad. If I can get to the top 10 with 100% complete, I'll be happy. Just seeing the end in sight is a great feeling!

4 cards. They are going to be spendy, but they are all attainable. Gifford might actually be the hardest one for me to find.
  • I may be picking up a Gifford 8 soon Josh if so my 7 has your name on it.
    Of course i have to profit so it will be 1 buck more then i paid image

Will let you know soon.
    Well Art, if you hadn't outbid me on it, I would be only 3 cards away from completion. You should just give it to me out of sympathy for my cause. image

Yeah, that's the ticket!

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    Looks like it might be time to finall add Favre to the modern set list. image

But I cant complain. I did see him win a SB for us. image
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's

<< <i>Looks like it might be time to finall add Favre to the modern set list. image

But I cant complain. I did see him win a SB for us. image >>

I saw that. Lots of places reporting he is going to retire. As a Vikings fan, I'm very happy to see him go. As a football fan, I'm very disappointed. Definitely one of the best ever.

By the way, he is on the Modern HOF set already, if that's what you were suggesting.
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like it might be time to finall add Favre to the modern set list. image

But I cant complain. I did see him win a SB for us. image >>

He's already part of the Future HOF-Modern set, if that's the list you are talking about...It has active and retired players.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    i meant on our elibilty lists by year that we tend to have up from time to time.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    Favre will be missed. In terms of toughness and guts, I doubt there's ever been a better QB. Overall though, I place him towards the bottom of the top 10, probably around 7 or 8. He had the ability to be brilliant, and at times also looked like he was playing the game for the very first time. But for everything he went through off the field, and the toughness he showed on it, it was always hard to root against the guy. Except for what turned out to be his last game...being a Giants fan image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>i meant on our elibilty lists by year that we tend to have up from time to time. >>

Well, you can permanent ink him into the Class of 2013 right now...lol

Anyone notice fight4olddc's lastest addition??

PSA 9 1933 JIM THORPE RC!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
    Who owns these cards? I mean really... Stuff like that shouldn't even exist! It is amazing...that set he has would be so much fun to look at. I think they should ship it to the Nationals this year and display like they did Fogel's collection a few years back. Jon? You getting this? I want to see these cards!

• << <i>Who owns these cards? I mean really... Stuff like that shouldn't even exist! It is amazing...that set he has would be so much fun to look at. I think they should ship it to the Nationals this year and display like they did Fogel's collection a few years back. Jon? You getting this? I want to see these cards! >>

Me too!!!
    Today is day 11 of my $15/10 day sub... I hope that means they're just verifying it's ok to bump every card. image
  • Just a quick shout out to Jeff Gabbs, I just got your package today. Thanks for the cards, man. I will be getting back with you if I can sell my 77 Payton 9 and my Tittle 7. My goal was to crack the top 30, but with the new debut at #21 it will be that much harder. Again, if anyone wants to upgrade to Jeff's Pihos 7, I am looking for a 6. The quest continues!

Jasen
    Well, I went 0-8 on the bumps. I am never submitting another card for review again. The Brown, Unitas, Starr and Alworth I didn't expect to bump once we realized the corners were more important than centering. However, the Dawson, Griese, Sayers and Jurgensen were all rock solid and high end for the grade. I expected at least 2 to get a bump. A complete waste of $235 on these 9 reviews. I could've bought a Gifford.

I got the Hinkle back today and it said "corners" Thanks...

Picked up this gem from Gabbs. I'd been looking for one for oh...forever.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

<< <i>Well, I went 0-8 on the bumps. I am never submitting another card for review again. The Brown, Unitas, Starr and Alworth I didn't expect to bump once we realized the corners were more important than centering. However, the Dawson, Griese, Sayers and Jurgensen were all rock solid and high end for the grade. I expected at least 2 to get a bump. A complete waste of $235 on these 9 reviews. I could've bought a Gifford.

I got the Hinkle back today and it said "corners" Thanks... >>

Wow, that sucks...Let us know what the rest of your little white stickers say when you get them back...

I don't think I've ever sent in a review sub that didn't get at least one bump...If I did/do I'll probably think twice about doing another as well...I sent in 2 this week on the new $12 and $5 specials...If I was ever going to get ZERO bumps on a sub the $12 is a prime candidate...Its all cards that didn't get bumped in my first attempt at .5's, with only 2 new cards in the mix...16 total cards, it would still shock me if I don't get at least ONE...

Jason
  • Hey guys,

The sale is going well.

It is killing me to let these cards go!

Josh, Your upgrade results have got me doubting what I should do with some
    of my cards now.
    Sorry for your bad luck

Brett Favre...Got to be one of the most entertaining athletes I've ever seen !!! Sorry to see
    him go (a big loss for the NFL)

Gabbs

• Well here is another 6 cards at 35 level the scans are on this thread zero bumps
    I really expected 2 cards to get bumps based on the "corners" observation. I have a few 8's that have perfect corners and a couple 9's that I may try. This was a painful experiment...
  • Hmmmmm, maybe envoy should have Jason submit the cards for him and see if they bump.

As for fight4olddc adding a Thorpe 9. Jesus, I almost don't even consider his collection as real. I've been building my own set for a whopping two weeks and I already feel like I'm just buying grades. I'm already reconsidering how I go about this. Might just try to do it by buying raw and grading myself, at least then I might feel more accomplishment in the cards when they grade high.
    I already know I'll never be a top five set so trying to compete isn't a motivation. I do enjoy picking up a card for less than expected but I also paid $100 for a Larry Little 8 which made me feel stupid, snipe gone wrong.
    So tell me what keeps you guys doing it for YEARS. I understand the whole "buy the card not the holder" but everyone buys the holder sometimes. I am trying to buy cards that I like in high grade and I mean centering etc. Plus I lack patience. How do you guys do it and what motivates you? Help me not give up after two weeks.
    For me, it's the love of football, and for the history of it first and foremost...

Secondly, probably the thrill of the hunt...Finding those rare, high vintage cards that are just cool to look at and call your own...Or even some of the more modern hard to find cards of players I enjoy watching today...

Third, I would say its the sense of community we have within the collectors of the set..Even before this thread was born, many of us spoke on e-mail pretty regularly about cards and players and who was the greatest, etc, etc. Many of the same cards have been passed among numerous collectors of the set as one guy upgrades or whatever. Anytime I sell a card, I always feel a little better when I know it's going back to the Registry...To me, the most fun is sharing the cards with others who appreciate them as much (or at least close to as much..lol) as I do...I have scans up of every single card, and quite often peruse other sets just to check out the scans and see what type/quality of cards are out there.

To me, I can't imagine not collecting the HOF RCs...I've had a couple of mini-selloffs through the years...First to MOSH (Museum of Sports History) and then to Jon (fight4olddc), and both of those times, I felt a void when those cards "left the building"...Some others here can attest, each of those times, within weeks, I went on a buying frenzy to replace what was missing and in many cases overpaid just for the piece of mind...lol

Once you get to 100%, at least when I did, it felt great to say I owned the complete HOF RC collection...When I started, I was on a 10 year plan thinking it would take me 10 years to complete it...5 years later, I was maybe a card or two away. (Nagurski RC was the last I needed)...You have to figure out what level (grade wise) you can afford to collect and estimate how long it will take you to finish. Sometimes I do miss the days when I was piecing the set together brick-by-brick...Nowadays, its rare that I find anything I need that I can still afford..lol

Jason
  • Hi,
    I have a 1997 SP Tiki Barber RC POP 8 for sell or trade. Cert #10148154. Let me know if you are interested. Would be willing to trade for 1974 psa 9 or 10 football that I need, 1982 Anthony Munoz PSA 10 or 1997 SP Corey Dillon PSA 10 for my bengals set.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim
  • Freak out Jason! Jevon has returned home and will be eyeballing your QB 2-3 games next year. LOL...

• << <i>Who owns these cards? I mean really... Stuff like that shouldn't even exist! It is amazing...that set he has would be so much fun to look at. I think they should ship it to the Nationals this year and display like they did Fogel's collection a few years back. Jon? You getting this? I want to see these cards! >>

Hi there gang - Im like a terrible ex girlfriend. Im always here but never participating like I should. Ill try to do so more. Its been great getting the Layne and the Thorpe. Two dream cards. Two more that Im dying for are the Baugh PSA 9 - I will make someone a very rich man or woman for that one. The Starr PSA 10 - ditto and me and Publius will duke it out for the Largent PSA 10. A Warfield PSA 9 has also eluded me for way too long.

Said simply, money talks and well -- I just got my bonus and you can see it was burning a hole in my pocket. This is one of the great escapes, hobbies in my life and its been great getting to know many of you. I know you all make fun of me for not owning a scanner, but anyone who wants to come to a Redskins game with me for free and bring their scanner - let me know. You will get one heck of a view of all these cards.

Im trying to do the impossible - get every card in their highest grade. Then I will sell it off for other to enjoy. Im going to spend a bit more time and then if I cant pull it off, then sell. I wont be hogging forever I promise.

Best to you all and thanks for reaching out and for making this so much fun. Email me anytime and happy to meet up if you are in DC. skinsin04@aol.com

Hail to the Redskins. Hail Victory. Braves on the Warpath. FIGHT4OLDDC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I'm convinced you are really Daniel Snyder.
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Any of you guys see the Favre news conference today, man it's finally sinking in. I'm so glad my wife and I got to see the last home game in Dec.(Lions) it was my last time seeing him play. So, say what you want about him but, the passing records will be broken someday BUT I don't think in my lifetime we will ever see another QB go 275 consecutive starts, maybe even never another player. That's what I call leading by example!

Brett Favre HOF 1991-2008

Doc

<< <i>The Starr PSA 10 - ditto and me and Publius will duke it out for the Largent PSA 10. A Warfield PSA 9 has also eluded me for way too long. >>

You won't have to duke it out with Joe for the Largent 10. He landed his white whale a few weeks back.

• << <i>I'm convinced you are really Daniel Snyder. >>

Believe me, if I were Daniel Snyder, Id be making a lot better front office and GM decisions and Id own the PSA 8 Gretzky Wagner.

I also wouldnt charge for parking image

• << <i>

<< <i>The Starr PSA 10 - ditto and me and Publius will duke it out for the Largent PSA 10. A Warfield PSA 9 has also eluded me for way too long. >>

You won't have to duke it out with Joe for the Largent 10. He landed his white whale a few weeks back. >>

Well one thing this hobby has taught me - every card is for sale. Absolutely every card. Money talks - BS walks -- like other cards from the 70's -- one day the POP on that will be 10 or more and Ill bide my time. Hope you are well Andy, long time no talk. I love this hobby and it has been like accumulating priceless works of art.

Best regards to everyone.

Hail to the Redskins. Hail Victory. Braves on the Warpath. FIGHT4OLDDC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I might have to duke it out with Jon on the next Largent PSA 10, but I think we are in different weight classesimage
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

• << <i>

<< <i>Who owns these cards? I mean really... Stuff like that shouldn't even exist! It is amazing...that set he has would be so much fun to look at. I think they should ship it to the Nationals this year and display like they did Fogel's collection a few years back. Jon? You getting this? I want to see these cards! >>

I know you all make fun of me for not owning a scanner, but anyone who wants to come to a Redskins game with me for free and bring their scanner - let me know. You will get one heck of a view of all these cards.

<< <i>

Jon,

If I can get my wife to let my fly to DC when my Cardinals play the 'Skins this season I will take you up on that.

Jasen
    Jon....Just send your cards to me and I'll get em scanned for you. image

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • My grades just popped on a 10-card bulk ($10) submission that was received on 2/28.....7 day turnaround on a bulk submission. I sent a bunch of stuff in for my brother who is doing the Heisman set. He is also doing a Bears HOF set, which includes the Blanda. He said if his Blanda came back a 7, I could have it (since it meets my goals of 7 for all the 50s cards), but it got a 6--DOH!!!

Jasen
    Well, I just landed my white whale... A PSA 8 Tarkenton. Got it on the cheap too and without sniping. WTH?

Anyways, I have a PSA 7 Tark for sale if anyone is interested. Corners are as good as most PSA 8's. I think LR centering keeps it out of the 8 holder. Back has no chipping at all, color and gloss are very nice. A beautiful 7.

I also have a PSA 7 Billy Wilson for the future HOF set, PSA 10 Adam Vinatieri, PSA 10 Willie Roaf, PSA 8.5 and PSA 9 Larry Allen, PSA 10 Jason Elam for the future HOF sets as well. I need to sell these now so I can actually pay for the card I just bought.

Let me know if anyone is interested in any of these. I'm offering them here before the BST board.
  • Well picked up 1 of the 2 big boys i needed this came in the mail today ,Scan in 400 res

Very nice card!!! I'd love to have a card like that.

Dave

PS...erinstubby...thanks for editing your unnessesary comment.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Jim Thorpe 8....Hmmmpppffff! I just picked up a 1984 Dwight Stephenson PSA 9 from envoy SO THERE!!!
    Do you need a PSA 7 tarkenton by chance? image

BTW, Awesome card Art!
  • Not at this current time. I actually have a focus....9's. I freaked out and started buying everything so now I'm selling the 6-8's I bought so I can get the 9's I want. Going to take me awhile but it's a start. Probably be selling the Stephenson 9 too, don't like the centering, so if you see it listed on ebay it was nothing personal lol. Very nice price on the Tark btw.

<< <i> Very nice price on the Tark btw. >>

Why? What's the price on the Tark? I spent too much on mine, and yours is nicer. I just had some money burning a hole in my pocket.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    I got my 8 for $760. Centering is fantastic, corners are touched though. I would have prefered the 8 that BBCE sold a month or so ago, but it went for nearly $1k.

Oh, and no offense taken. image

Dave: Just realized you probably meant the 7. I hadn't given a price on the 7, but I'm looking for $275 dlvd on it. I don't know what you paid for yours. Depending on centering and corners (and snow) they sell anywhere from $225 to $325
    That is a great price on the Tark. I paid high end price for my low end 7. Sometimes you spend without "thinking" .. I've done that many a times. LOL..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
    LOL...Here is my Tark. It is centered fairly well but has numerous fish eyes on it that I didnt see when buying. I paid $319 delivered, which was probably $50 too much.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Wow, that Thorpe is a beauty!!
  • Hey guys, I need to reload a little bit so I am selling off some stuff. These are the ones I am selling off, I will offer to you guys at the VCP avg. of last 5 auctions, which is listed beside each card:

1984 Marino 9 $92
    1976 Payton 9 $580
    1984 Elway 9 $91
    1975 Fouts 9 $317
    1950 Tittle 7 $514
    1969 Csonka 8 $144
    1982 Taylor 9 $58
    1983 Allen 9 $18
    1984 Kelly 9 $93
    1981 Monk 9 $38
    1982 Lott 9 $65
    1985 Moon 9 $32
    1984 Dickerson 9 $12
    1984 Green $27

Pics for each of these cards are listed with my set here. PM or email to jasen_cassady@yahoo.com if you guys want any of these. I will list the ones you guys don't want on Sunday. Thanks.

Jasen
  • I like the Fouts. But I'm eyeing up Gabbs Namath. I've been up so long the voices in my head are telling me I can afford it, I even asked him how much he wants. HAHA. My wife and kid are sick so I'm on puke duty......horrible, sit here and wait.....and wait...then the crying and hurling start and I go running like Sayers weaving through projectile spew with my trusty bottle of cleaner, bucket o' soap and me scrub brush yelling "try and get to the bathroom". So I pass the time scanning the same cards on ebay hoping they've suddenly changed to an amazing price and I buy out Mike's card closet, this because I've beaten Medal of Honor and TV sucks. So thank you for at least giving me a nice new Fouts rookie to look at. Soon I'll be staring at vomit. God I need to sleep. Yadda yadda yadda. I say Good Day!
    Oh you poor guy... I feel for you, knowing that one day I too will have to do the same thing. Your a good man. image

Jasen - I REALLY want to grab that Tittle but I just don't have the money. If my companies stock sale or my taxes come back before it's gone, I'll hit you up though!