Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• I just cracked a 1952 Donovan small SGC 86 and it came back a 6. It's a crap shoot!

I should get it back on Monday, I'll have to check it out and see if it got damaged, then resubmit!
  • If I wanted the same grade I would send the card in for crossover, if I was looking for a higher grade I would crack and submit ( although there are more risk involved) . As far a trimmed cards I would be more concerned with BVG or GAI, more than SGC.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    For any of you still looking for that elusive Nagurski, REA has a PSA 2 in their upcoming auction:

Nagurski
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Anyone interested in a 1966 Hickerson PSA 8.5?

PM on for offers.
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I could use the Hickerson, but I am still working on the set. Haven't gotten to the upgrade part.

• Have a bunch of auctions up on the bay , Many HOF rookies and wanted to offer a little something to my fellow Hof crew

Anyone who wins a hof rookie just mention your set name and your place on the psa set registry and your ship will be free.
    My seller id is ranger_51 sorry horrid at links no telling were i might send you but worth a look many great hof rookies as well as mucho other football
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Thank you Dave
    You're killing me Art....Nice stuff and place a bunch of intial bids.

Thanks!

Bob...
    Well, I'm now down to 7 cards after landing this one today.. Edwards PSA 5

Its kind of funny because the same exact card was on ebay a few weeks ago and I was the underbidder. Good thing because I saved $100+

Original auction

Funny how some things work out..

Here is a pic of the card

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Way to go, Dave! It will be interesting to see who finishes first between you and Josh. We may have to call security at the National to break up a fight over a Nagurski!!!
    LOL...If I were you I'd put my money on Josh... It'll be a long while until I make a run at a Bronco.....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

You outbid me on the Turk you toad! image

Centering was only a little better than the 4 I have so I wasn't willing to pay much more, certainly worth the $306 you nabbed it for though. Had I not been at lunch, I would have probably bid again. Glad you won it though.

I do need a Nagurski and still wish I had bought the PSA 3 at the nationals a few years back in Chicago. But, I still need 4 cards. I gotta quit upgrading and just finish the set off. There is a PSA 5 Gifford on ebay for a $135 BIN but I don't want a 5. Would be so nice to see 99% though! Argh.

If I could sell the Tark 7 and Page 9 I could make a run at a mid-grade Thorpe or Grange or a nice PSA 7 Gifford. Otherwise I have to wait until I get my taxes or stock money.

Sure is a nice feeling to get this close isn't it?
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Dave,

Nice grab on the Turk 5, only a few more to go, congrats. Mine is a 5 also and I paid about $420. I'm chipping away at the set as well but that Bronko is really going to break the bank, unless I want to get a PSA 1(NOT).

Doc

I've never even seen a psa 1 Bronko. In fact, the only psa 2 I saw was the one at REA auctions. I've seen a number of PSA 3, 4 and 5's though. I even saw the PSA 9 when it was an SGC 96. image
    That 9 must be a pretty card, I'd love to see it. BTW I just checked the pop report are there are 10 PSA 1 Bronkos, I was a little surprised there are that many.

Doc
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Here ya go Doc..

The PSA 9 Bronko in all its glory....

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • That is just plain sick....
    Thanks Jason, man the corners on that card are awesome, and to think it's almost 75 years old!!

Doc
    Top 10 WRs of All Time
    Raymond Berry, Boyd Dowler, Mike Holmgren, Ken Houston, Warren Moon, Keyshawn Johnson and Ted Thompson helped ESPN.com evaluate the best wide receivers in NFL history. ESPN.com weighed their contributions, balancing rankings with anecdotal evidence, to create the following list. (Click here for ZOOM Gallery.)

1. JERRY RICE
    Career: Played for 49ers, Raiders and Seahawks from 1985-2004. Holds NFL records for receptions (1,549), receiving yards (22,895), TD receptions (197), TDs (207).
    Quick quote: "Jerry had a tremendous combination of speed, size, toughness, smarts." -- Holmgren, Rice's offensive coordinator in San Francisco

2. RANDY MOSS
    Career: Set NFL record with 23 TD catches last season with Patriots.
    Quick quote: "Randy Moss catches the ball so well almost without looking at it sometimes. He is scary physically." -- Boyd Dowler, retired scout and former NFL receiver.

3. DON HUTSON
    Career: Played for Packers from 1935-45. Held 18 NFL records when he retired. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1963.
    Quick quote: "Lean and swift, and boy, he could catch the heck out of it." -- Hall of Famer Berry, who studied films of Hutson in detail.

4. MICHAEL IRVIN
    Career: Played for Cowboys from 1988-99. Had 750 career receptions for 11,904 yards. Elected to Hall of Fame in 2007.
    Quick quote: "People might not like some of the other things, but when he was on those stripes, he was as competitive as there is." -- Hall of Fame QB Moon

5. PAUL WARFIELD
    Career: Played for Browns, Dolphins from 1964-77. Averaged 20.1 yards per catch. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1983.
    Quick quote: "Warfield was a lot like Charlie Joiner. Every step meant something to those guys. Warfield got into his route and it was like somebody falling off the face of the earth. That's how quick he could be into it." -- Hall of Fame safety Houston

6. CHARLEY TAYLOR
    Career: Played for Redskins 1964-77. All-time leading receiver with 649 catches for 9,110 yards when he retired. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1984.
    Quick quote: "Those types of athletes who played more than one position --- Charley Taylor -- are worth the price of admission just to see them line up. That is an athlete right there, a subject in itself." -- Berry

7. STEVE LARGENT
    Career: Played for Seahawks from 1976-89. Had 819 catches, 13,089 yards, 100 TDs. Elected to Hall of Fame in 1995.
    Quick quote: "He was as crafty as anybody I could recall. He wasn't a big guy, but he knew exactly how to lean on people and his hands were unbelievable." -- Packers GM Ted Thompson

8. CRIS CARTER
    Career: Played for Eagles, Vikings, Dolphins from 1987-2002. Had 13,899 yards receiving, 130 TD receptions.
    Quick quote: "I've never been around a guy as competitive as he is. He is so confident. He was a hard worker, which I enjoyed because whatever I got in practice, I knew that's I was going to get in the game." -- Moon

9. TERRELL OWENS
    Career: Has 129 TD receptions in career with 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys.
    Quick quote: "My biggest knock on him is he drops too many balls, but he makes a lot of big plays and he's as good as there is after the catch and he makes difficult catches." -- Moon

10. MARVIN HARRISON
    Career: Has spent entire 12-yard career with Colts. Set NFL record with 143 receptions in 2002.
    Quick quote: "Of all the things that impresses me, it's how he goes about his job, how he goes about his business. He's not a fanfare guy. He's just a football player." -- Holmgren

Link to entire column
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an extra 1971 Bradshaw in exmt to trade? I have 3 extra Staubach RC's to trade. Here's the photo

Staubach RC's

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

I like the battle going on for 10th place...Nice set names.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Awesome
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.

<< <i>I like the battle going on for 10th place...Nice set names.....image >>

Jay started it. image

So I had no choice but to change my set name!

CC the 8th best WR but not a 1st ballot HOF'er... F'n Hartman.

I like the list. Weird not seeing some more "old timers" on the list though.
  • I'm so offended that Moss was voted the 2nd best WR of all time that I can't even put it into words. Granted, the guy is an awesome offensive weapon because of his ability with the deep ball, but being considered one of the best ever with the other guys on that list requires more than the ability to run straight and jump. I would not even put him in the top 10 when you consider all the other skills, including route running, blocking, etc., etc., etc. The day he makes the HOF may be the day I sell my set. image

Jasen

Moss is a great player when he wants to be, but #2 all time??? I don't think so. Where would he rank if he didn't have the stellar season he just had??

Bob...
  • I surprised there was no mention of guys like C. Joiner, F. Biletnikoff or J. Stallworth
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion

<< <i>I surprised there was no mention of guys like C. Joiner, F. Biletnikoff or J. Stallworth >>

Frank, they were mentioned in the full article...Nothing scientific about the poll...Ray Berry isn't on it because he wouldn't vote for himself..lol...I still don't get how Lance Alworth doesn't make the top 10...Obviously some of those guys never watched him play...Ray Berry and Lance Alworth were BOTH 1st ballot HOFers BTW...

Josh, only 6 of these 10 are HOF or HOF eligible. Carter is the only one not YET in (he's obviously a lock to get in at some point), of the other 5 only Hutson, Warfield and Largent were first ballot guys. Michael Irvin is ranked 4th here and it took him 3 tries to get in..Charley Taylor is ranked 6th and he got in on his 2nd try. Carter WILL get in, no doubt. He just got pushed back because of the whole Art Monk fiasco.

I agree, too high for Moss..I think he's a top 10 WR, but more in the 8-10 range. For me, it will take more than one great season to overcome the lack of desire Moss showed in Oakland.

My personal Top 10:

1. Jerry Rice
    2. Don Hutson
    3. Lance Alworth
    4. Paul Warfield
    5. Marvin Harrison
    6. Steve Largent
    7. Ray Berry
    8. Elroy Hirsch
    9. Cris Carter
    10. Randy Moss

Jason

• If this poll was done before the start of the season last year Moss wouldn't even have in the top 15 to 20. Amazing how one season can change a person perception ?
    Totally agree Jason , how do you leave Alworth out of the top 10 ? I always thought the top 3 NFL receivers were no brainers Rice , Alworth & Hutson .
    Terrell Owens in the top 10 ? Whatever , he's so good that he's played for 3 teams in the last five years. Name another top tier receiver that has changed teams that often in his prime. It has to be Zero.
  • lommerlommer Posts: 160 ✭✭
    1963 Willie Wood PSA 10

This would look really nice in my All Time Packers Set, but I am pretty sure that my pockets will not be deep enough.

Chad
    Outstanding card! Calling Jon.......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • You should all concentrate on winning that Wood 10 so I can pick up the Charley Taylor 9 for a couple hundred bucks. Geez, Jon doesn't even have a Wood 9 so I guess he'll certainly be pushing hard for the 10.

I did just crack the top 60!!! Look out!
    Congrats on making the top 60! I started at 64th in December and have made it to 37th in 4 months. I know the progress will start to slow down now though!

Bob...

• << <i>Congrats on making the top 60! I started at 64th in December and have made it to 37th in 4 months. I know the progress will start to slow down now though!

Bob... >>

Me too, I started the week in 32nd place. I added a Bulldog 6, Hirsch 7, Marchetti 7, Lary 7, JHJohnson 7 and R.Brown 7 (and will add a Millner 7 as soon as the cert. is released from someone else's set) and now I'm in......32nd. It's going to be a crawl up the board from here.

BTW, anyone notice the flip on that Willie Wood? It was recently graded--WOW!!!

Jasen
    I interviewed most of the late 1950s Colt members about 10 years ago while working on a Weeb Ewbank project. I have my interviews on cassette tape and need to transfer them to CD to save them...and so I can share parts of them.

Almost every single player talked about how hard Raymond Berry worked as a player and that he was always practicing. Jim Parker mentioned that once Berry had a dump truck of sand brought in and was having balls thrown to him so that he had to twist around and try to catch it behind him while diving.

Guess the Baltimore nightclub scene wasn't much in the 50s....image

Clear Skies,
    Mark

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'm buried at #59, BUT I've got some subs ready to go and should have some new items to add. Sadly, some of the others that I have that I could enter would probably hurt my ranking rather than help it. I have to learn to control myself a little in buying nice looking cards that don't carry the grade. But then again, I won't buy a card that I don't like because of the grade. I hate the Catch-22 of all of that . . .
  • Ohh I am #59 as well. We should start a rivalry like envoy and jay and battle for 50th place.
    I've been slowly figuring this thing out and I really don't think adding cards can hurt you. You can fill the whole set with 4's and probably be in the top 20. With so many cards with a weight of 1-2, if you get all 10's from '89 to '65 you still wouldn't be ahead of anyone with 4-5's from all the earlier years. I kind of don't like it but I do understand it. For example, I just think a PSA 10 of Elvin Bethea should be potentially a little more meaningful than it actually would end up being. Beathea 10=10.......Willie Wood 5=10, that bugs me. I'm not incorrect in my thinking am I? This is how it works right?
    So basically I'm ignoring the weights and going to try and keep my GPA above 9 for as long as humanly possible.

<< <i>Ohh I am #59 as well. We should start a rivalry like envoy and jay and battle for 50th place.
    I've been slowly figuring this thing out and I really don't think adding cards can hurt you. You can fill the whole set with 4's and probably be in the top 20. With so many cards with a weight of 1-2, if you get all 10's from '89 to '65 you still wouldn't be ahead of anyone with 4-5's from all the earlier years. I kind of don't like it but I do understand it. For example, I just think a PSA 10 of Elvin Bethea should be potentially a little more meaningful than it actually would end up being. Beathea 10=10.......Willie Wood 5=10, that bugs me. I'm not incorrect in my thinking am I? This is how it works right?
    So basically I'm ignoring the weights and going to try and keep my GPA above 9 for as long as humanly possible. >>

I'm trying to look at it from a GPA viewpoint. As an example, I've got a 48 Leaf Bednarik that I got from Josh that's a PSA 1 (MK). Figuring the weight, and trying to guess that it would amount to a ZERO in terms of averaging, it would be like taking out two or three of my 8's or 9's. I'll add the midlevel stuff eventually, but in the meantime, I'm trying to keep the GPA up over 8.5. I'm not too sure how long that will last as it would be nice to sneak inside the top 50...
    Well, I learned something today (I always learn something every day). A PSA 1 with a qualifier is the same as a PSA 1 when used for weighting. Now, why any PSA 1 would be given a qualifier is beyond me, but c'est la vie.

And I'm excited about the fact that I'm #6 on the '48 Leaf Master Set Registry. But, alas, there are only 8 entries, so it isn't much to be excited about. So, I guess I was excited for about the same amount of time that Georgetown lasted in my NCAA Bracket...
    I'm #54...you bastages are on!

<< <i>Ohh I am #59 as well. We should start a rivalry like envoy and jay and battle for 50th place.
    So basically I'm ignoring the weights and going to try and keep my GPA above 9 for as long as humanly possible. >>

Thing to remember on weighting is that these cards are all weighted on an equal scale, which is value in PSA 8. A PSA 8 Willie Wood vs. PSA 8 Elvin Bethea, obviously the Wood weighting would be higher. An Elvin Bethea 10 vs. a Willie Wood 10, obviously the Wood is going to sell for 5-10X the Bethea...

When you look at the weightings across the board on a PSA 8 valued scale, the older cards are weighted higher because they are more valuable/expensive. A PSA 3 Bednarik is going to cost you more than any of the cards weighted 1.0 on the set graded PSA 9 or 10.

The weighting isn't perfect though..I update the grade weights with PSA annually (usually every January), and this year, I used VCP averages to get the ACTUAL PSA 8 pricing on each card in the set and weight them accordingly. I guess the changes were too drastic as Joe O. edited my weights, mostly to somewhere in between where they were and where they should be. It's not a perfect system, but at least with the HOF RC set, I think its as accurate if not more accurate than any other set weighting on the Registry.

It took me some years to get to 100%, that was my first goal. Since then, I've been upgrading as much as I can afford to do. With the values of many of these cards (particularly the older ones) on a continual rise, buying say a PSA 3 now, then upgrading to a PSA 6 next year will allow you to make some profit next year when you sell the PSA 3. For me personally, it at least FEELS easier to spend the bigger dollars when I know some of it will be refunded once I re-sell the lower graded card.

Best of luck to all! I'm currently in "hoard" mode as far as my available cards for sale go..In a month or so, I will re-open my ebay store and should have about 50 HOF RCs for sale. I will post them here first for anyone who might be in the market.

Jason
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭
    For this set I don't care about the high grade avg too much. Eventually I would like to have my '77 FB set at an avg of psa 9 and my '69 Basketball set with an avg of psa 7. If I cared about avg too much on this set I would'nt be able to have any other sets.
    I agree about not caring about the grade that much. My goal is really the completion percentage. The ranking is a bonus to me. I think since I've started I only upgrade one card. I've got plenty to get upgraded though. I've also got a nice stack of stuff to send in. Just need to get off my butt and do it.
    I'm not really sure if I am happy or not that you have a hoard of HOF rookies Jason. I have a feeling that's going to cost me some money! I think Josh should give me a commemorative tile in his remodeled kitchen!

Bob...
  • Come on Jason open up the vault image

I need a 78 Dean if anyne has 1 ???????????

When you start buying PSA 4,s OF 5,s of cards like Bednarik just for 1 of many and it cost you as much or more then many 60,s psa 9 or 70,s psa 9,s for sure I am not sure you can say you are just fulling holes
    I'm with Jason, it's always easier for me to swallow spending a lot more money for an upgrade when I know I can sell the other card. Usually to Bob. image And Bob, I'll put your commemorative tile prominently under the stove! lol

Actually, if it weren't for the ability to quickly flip a lot of my upgrades, I would not have been able to jump on some other upgrades that presented themselves with a very small window of opportunity. It's funny, the higher up in the rankings I got, the more cards I got offered to me. Maybe it's the ability to see the first 20 sets or so on the front page or something. I'm not sure. Although I do know that the cards have come a lot more frequently and easily since I cracked the top 15 or so. Maybe just coincidence.

As for my "rivalry with Jay", he and I don't really have a rivalry. I don't think Jay really cares where he is ranked. He has a fantastic set as it is, and if I had the completion percentage he had using only the same cards, I'd be WAY behind him. My completion percentage is the only reason I'm ahead of him...and only for a short time I think. Now that Dave guy and I...we seemed to have developed a bit of a rivalry. We were chasing each other for position for the better part of my having been here. I think we've been within one or two spots of each other for at least 2 years now. Every time I'd add something or look for my next upgrade I'd see him just behind me or that he had just passed me again. That keeps it fun!
    Well, if anyone wants to consider me a bottom feeder, I'll consider some of the lower grade toughies if anyone is upgrading. Heck, if I was willing to suck up a Bednarik 1 (MK), I guess I'm game for some of the others in the VG-EX range. Especially if they help with my 1948 Leaf set...
  • Man, that old Bednarik card of mine gets around! I didn't see the mark until I got it back.
    Need a PSA 7 tark or PSA 9 Page? image
  • Well I finally started this set......I know it will be a lifetime set.......completing and upgrading......but its by far my favorite football set......and I will enjoy every addition and upgrade.
    Is it best to get the highest grade possible slowly going card to card?......or just try and complete 1st then upgrade as needed?

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET