Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    Dave,

I couldn't get to the April auction through Mastronet...how did you get to it? When I click on the current auction it takes me to the closed February one. Help!

Jasen
  • Options
    I'm still very new to this set.....and I figured I'de go ahead and do a print out of the set composition........5!!!!!!!! pages.........I kept on hearing what seemed like the sound of a cash register going off.....everytime a new page came out........I know this set will take years to complete.......but just the utter expense to complete it too seems overwhelming.........I won't toss the towel in or anything (even though I haven't even began the pricey stuff yet..lol) but it has to cross the minds of anyone trying to touch this set.....

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still very new to this set.....and I figured I'de go ahead and do a print out of the set composition........5!!!!!!!! pages.........I kept on hearing what seemed like the sound of a cash register going off.....everytime a new page came out........I know this set will take years to complete.......but just the utter expense to complete it too seems overwhelming.........I won't toss the towel in or anything (even though I haven't even began the pricey stuff yet..lol) but it has to cross the minds of anyone trying to touch this set..... >>

Yeah, there will be a few times I'll have to pass on the cheese when ordering a burger. Anyone wanna trade for a timeshare in Aruba? image
  • Options
    HOF Rookies for Sale

1977 Topps # 29 Lee Roy Selmon PSA 9 NQ
    1987 Topps # 207 Gary Zimmerman PSA 9 NQ

Please email an offer to madmandreamer@aol.com.

As always use VCP as your quide for a fair offer.

Thank,

Marc (MAD)

I will be listing a group of Future HOF Rookie 9's and 10's later today.

Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dave,

I couldn't get to the April auction through Mastronet...how did you get to it? When I click on the current auction it takes me to the closed February one. Help!

Jasen

>>

If I told you, I would have to kill you....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    They don't call him Backdoor Dave for nothing image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice that MOSH updated his HOF RC set?? First time in a LONG time..Would be interesting if he got back in the game..

Not that MOSH will ever catch Jon, but would be interesting to see a battle of the titans..lol

Jon just added a Bednarik PSA 7..I've never seen even seen one...Based on that PSA 8 Bednarik selling for 38K, I would imagine the PSA 7 did not come cheap...Awesome card though!!! Never ceases to amaze some of these cards coming out of the woodwork...

Also looks like Andy moved that $999 Willie Wood 10 to Jon before the 4SC Willie Wood 10 auction ended...Andy, did you ever receive that card from the seller? I haven't got my $99 Stabler PSA 9..I'm still somewhat worried that it was/is a legit auction...Better hope he doesn't see the 4SC Wood auction end at $3901, because I could definitely see him re-neg on the deal, much like the PSA 8 Ray Berry guy re-negged on me...For $3,000 I'd have to think about it as well..lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So what's all this talk about Favre coming out of retirement.........say it aint so, I can't picture him in another uniform!!!

Any thoughts???

Doc >>

I think it's just wishful thinking by some. I just listened to an interview with Chris Mortensen who said he talked to Bus Cook his agent who said he hadn't talked to any teams and that Brett has never indicated he wanted to play for someone else. >>

its all a crap story from the LA Times. surprized they even have any there that covers the NFL anymore. The man spoke today that he doesnt want to play anymore.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Any suggestions on where I can find a good loupe?

Jasen
  • Options
    EBAY They for between 10 and 15 bucks get at least a 10x
  • Options
    Jasen,
    Most coin stores will carry a 10x. Might be a little higher than Art suggests but it arrives quickly.Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I'm still very new to this set.....and I figured I'de go ahead and do a print out of the set composition........5!!!!!!!! pages.........I kept on hearing what seemed like the sound of a cash register going off.....everytime a new page came out........I know this set will take years to complete.......but just the utter expense to complete it too seems overwhelming.........I won't toss the towel in or anything (even though I haven't even began the pricey stuff yet..lol) but it has to cross the minds of anyone trying to touch this set.....

Every time I completed one of the pages it's like I finished a set.
    I had the last two pages done untill they added this new class. Now I have to get a Thomas and a Dean.
    I'm no millionaire, but I think I can complete the set in a low to mid grade if I stick with it a little at a time.
    Just added a few whith the money I got back from my taxes.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Jasen:

Just a word of warning with regard to loupes... Spend a little more and buy a quality lens. Loupes are a lot like photo lenses (and wome . . . nevermind), they'll all perform the same purpose, just some do it much better than others. The cheaper lenses have a very narrow field of focus and limit the amount of card you can view.

Also, don't just think because you buy a loupe, you're going to see everything. Lighting, knowledge, and ability to use the loupe properly will have a huge effect on the end results.

I would suggest visting a local coin shop or a jeweler and see if they have several that you could sample. Find something that you like and either buy it there or note the brand and model and look on eBay.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Got word on my taxes yesterday, so I sent in a 384 card raw sub, a $12/10 day review sub (11 cards) and a bulk 45 day 32 card review sub. Got a little bit of a break on the pricing so wish me luck.

Also picked up the psa 8 38 Goudey Dick Bartell, psa 8 69 topps namath (gorgeous card), psa 8 Rickey Henderson rc cuz it was cheap and a psa 8 64 Topps Checklist. Yeah, $350 card... Odd. All of them went in on the review subs.

I am heading to Cozumel in the morning, plane leaves at 9:35 am CST. I will talk to you boys in a week. PSA should have my packages by middle of next week, so at least a few days of my submission(wait) won't bother me. I'll be hammered. image

Here's where we are staying.

• Options

Dont get to sunburned Josh!!

• Options
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Guys, I need your help/advice please. I'm considering sending some of my cards in for review in hopes of upgrades. What are the top key factors I should be looking for before I send them in. Based on the recent posts it looks like you guys have loupes and even with that, some of the subs you reported back, it certainly seems difficult to get the 1/2 grade bumps.

I'm sure I've got some that would bump but also don't want to waste my $$. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Doc
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Guys, I need your help/advice please. I'm considering sending some of my cards in for review in hopes of upgrades. What are the top key factors I should be looking for before I send them in. Based on the recent posts it looks like you guys have loupes and even with that, some of the subs you reported back, it certainly seems difficult to get the 1/2 grade bumps.

I'm sure I've got some that would bump but also don't want to waste my $$. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Doc >>

From my experience so far, it is in this order:
    #1- Nice corners...Compare all of your cards in equal grades and separate those which have the best (near perfect) corners.
    #2- Centering...Make sure it measures at the high end or better for the grade.
    #3- Print defects...Anything major will likely keep it from bumping.

You don't necessarily need a loupe or a caliper (for centering)..If you have good eyesight and great lighting (sunlight is best) you can see most everything..You can also use a hand held ruler and a calculator to measure and figure out the centering...Obviously this won't be as accurate, but should get you in the ballpark.

Best of luck, let us know you do!
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Hey gang - its me Jon Isaacson (Fight4OldDC) from the HOF Registery. I hope you are all doing well. I have a nice list of duplicates I am going to post on ebay, but for both of our benefits, I thought Id do it here first. The prices are mostly from VCP (between the average and high prices with few exceptions) and includes shipping. To make this easy - if you want the card - send me the amount via paypal immediately. Ill email and confirm the acceptance of your funds. If the card has been sold, I will reject your funds. Simple enough for all. All cards are non qualified and are for the RC HOF Registery or other Special RC categories (e.g. Super Bowl MVPs or Team of the Decades etc)

My email and paypal accounts are the same: skinsin04@aol.com

Thanks - here is the list.

1.  Tony Dorsett PSA 9 $225.00
    2.  Dave Casper PSA 9 $450.00
    3.  Mike Haynes PSA 9 $175.00
    4.  Harvey Martin PSA 9 $85.00
    5.  Cliff Harris PSA 9 $185.00
    6.  Drew Pearson PSA 9 $80.00
    7.  Art Shell PSA 9 $600.00
    8.  Andy Russell PSA 8 $115.00
    9.  Lee Roy Jordan PSA 8 $60.00
    10.  Lee Roy Jordan PSA 8 $60.00
    11. Paul Warfield PSA 8 $210.00
    12.  Mike Tinglehoff PSA 8 $100.00
    13.  Buck Buchanan PSA 8 $130.00
    14.  Jim Marshall PSA 7 $27.00
    15.  Dave Jones PSA 8 $135.00
    16.  Nick Buoniconti PSA 8 $800.00
    17.  Billy Shaw PSA 8 $400.00
    18.  Gene Lipscomb PSA 8 $60.00
    19.  Don Chandler PSA 8 $50.00
    20.  Don Chandler PSA 8 $50.00
    21.  Ernie Nevers PSA 8 $330.00
    22.  Mel Hein PSA 8 $270.00
    23.  Jim Lansford Bowman Small PSA 7 $250.00
    24.  Yale Lary Bowman Small PSA 8 $900.00
    25.  Frank Gatski PSA 8 $400.00
    26.  Bobby Layne PSA 6 $550.00
    27.  Alex Wojciechowicz PSA 8 $910.00
    28.  Chuck Bednarik PSA 5 $960.00
    29  Leroy Selmon PSA 9 $360.00
    30.  Pat Fischer PSA 7 $13.00
    31.  Pat Fischer PSA 6 $7.01
  • Options
    Paypal sent

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the leftovers, Jon----you're the man!

Jasen
  • Options
    Very fair pricing on those...

If I needed these, I would be jumping all over them at the price:

Billy Shaw PSA 8 $400.00
    Yale Lary Bowman Small PSA 8 $900.00

If no one here that needs them picks these couple up, I will buy just to re-sell down the road...VERY tough cards...

Jason
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jon,

E-mail sent.

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Jon,

Paypal payment & e-mail sent.

Tom
  • Options
    Anybody have an idea of what PSA considers a "minor" wax stain? I am looking to get a PSA 6 grade on a submission, but there is a wax stain on the back. I am wondering if it is going to downgrade the card below a 6, which it would definiately get w/o the stain. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Jasen
  • Options
    Sweet!! I'm 1 for 1 so far on my reviews. My PSA 8 Otto Graham just bumped to an 8.5!! Awesome! Mr. Graham is available for sale/trade if anyone is interested.

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Greg,

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats..PM sent.

Jason
  • Options
    Very nice!! Congrats on the bump...
    Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    We should note for Josh that he has fallen out of the top 10 while slacking on his vacation. image
  • Options

<< <i>We should note for Josh that he has fallen out of the top 10 while slacking on his vacation. image >>

He's probably crying in his corona as we speak...

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Poor Josh. First he falls out of the top 10, then Carl Eller. Good thing he is on vacation...
  • Options
    Jon,
    Got the Haynes today.
    Thanks alot.

If anyone wants my Haynes PSA 8 for $20.00 delivered let me know.
    Tom
  • Options
    Got my Layne too, thanks Jon!!!
  • Options
    Still on vacation. Sure is wrm here. Sounds like mpls is going to get snow dumped on them starting tonight through monday. As long as we don't get delayed I don't care I guess. I have a golf tourney on thursday I hope still happens though. As for dropping out of the top 10, oh well. I have my #11 Possis medical. Coon rapids, mn.
    763.717.1017 line already, I ccan change it. I was going to do a little shoppin when I got home but I got suckered into buying a quasi-timeshare at sandos resorts. I can stay all inclusive for 60 bucks a night. I think punta cana sounds nice in the spring! image

Anyway, no crying in my corona, I'm drinking margaritas. Got pretty happy on saturday too.

Talk to you when I get back this weekend.
  • Options
    Glad your enjoying yourself.....

But to think, you could have bought a nice Nagurski with the $ you spent on vacation... you need to get your priorities strait....image

Maybe if your lucky, your airline will go out of business and you'll be stranded down there.......

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Jon --

Got the Lary yesterday. You're right sure do love the purple.

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options

<< <i>

sure do love the purple.

Marc. >>

Ive heard that about you Marc. You live near Miami, right? image

joe
  • Options
    Sq --

In case anyone has told you ... lately

YOU ARE A FUNNY GUY!

BTW, you get an A in Geography. Fort Lauderdale is near Miami.

Marc (MAD)
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am selling 1966 Philadelphia Gene Hickerson RC PSA 8.5 if anyone is interested. Please pm me with your offers. I will cover shipping charges with insurance and signature confirmation.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tim
  • Options
    It'd be awful hard to price that since none have sold. What kind of price are you looking for?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Just had a PSA 9 1966 Hickerson pop. Anyone interested in it?
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Hey guys just had an extremely low pop 1986 jerry rice psa 8 pop.. Prob less than 7000 of these.
    Accepting offers before i send to mastro.
  • Options

Congrats on hitting the jackpot with the rice!!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I had an order pop last night. About what I expected, except I was hoping for an 8 on either the Hanburger or LeBeau. Very happy w/ the Billy Wilson. I bought that for $40 from Vintage Sports Cards on E-Bay. The price was steep for a raw card, but the card in the scan appeared very sharp and looks even better in person. I'd like to thank Jay G for the Jim Brown. I picked that up from him in our trade for the PSA 9 Willie Brown.

Order #20184262 / Submission #4689514
    Line # Item # Cert # Grade Description Type Country
    1 1 14900314 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1955 BOWMAN 81 BILLY WILSON Card US
    2 1 14900315 EXCELLENT 5 1958 TOPPS 62 JIM BROWN Card US
    3 1 14900316 NEAR MINT 7 1965 PHILADELPHIA 64 DICK LeBEAU Card US
    4 1 14900317 NEAR MINT 7 1967 PHILADELPHIA 183 CHRIS HANBURGER Card US

Total Items: 4

Date Received: 4/5/2008

Date Shipped: N/A

Order Status: OK

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options
    Speaking of subs popping. I had 2 pop this week. one 10 day and one $5 special (only took about 2 wks)
    I am surprised about the 5's I got on some of my 70's material.
    If anyone is interested in any of the cards that don't have "keeping" after them, shoot me an email ( vince_steele@hotmail.com ) for fastest contact or pm me
    1 EXCELLENT 5 1952 BOWMAN SMALL 57 WAYNE MILLNER .... sold
    2 EXCELLENT 5 1955 BOWMAN 81 BILLY WILSON
    3 EXCELLENT 5 1967 PHILADELPHIA 183 CHRIS HANBURGER ????
    4 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1970 TOPPS 59 ALAN PAGE ???
    5 EXCELLENT 5 1970 TOPPS 247 FRED DRYER ???
    6 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 113 KEN HOUSTON
    6 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 113 KEN HOUSTON ......... sold
    7 NEAR MINT 7 1971 TOPPS 114 WILLIE LANIER .......... sold
    7 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 114 WILLIE LANIER
    8 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 TOPPS 210 CHARLIE SANDERS ........ sold

Total Items: 10

Date Received: 3/26/2008

Date Shipped: 4/4/2008

1 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 13 JOHN RIGGINS
    2 EXCELLENT-MINT+ 6.5 1972 TOPPS 93 TED HENDRICKS
    3 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 104 RON YARY
    4 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 157 EMMITT THOMAS ..... sold
    4 NEAR MINT 7 1972 TOPPS 157 EMMITT THOMAS ....... keeping
    5 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1972 TOPPS 240 LARRY LITTLE
    6 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1974 TOPPS 183 JOE DeLAMIELLEURE
    6 NEAR MINT 7 1974 TOPPS 183 JOE DeLAMIELLEURE
    7 NEAR MINT 7 1976 TOPPS 257 RANDY GRADISHAR ..... keeping
    8 NEAR MINT 7 1978 TOPPS 217 FRED DEAN
    8 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 ST 1978 TOPPS 217 FRED DEAN
    8 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 217 FRED DEAN ........ sold
    8 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 217 FRED DEAN ....... keeping
    9 EXCELLENT 5 1978 TOPPS 240 TOM JACKSON ALL-PRO ????
    10 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1978 TOPPS 361 STANLEY MORGAN .... keeping
    11 NEAR MINT 7 1980 TOPPS 170 OTTIS ANDERSON ALL-PRO ..... keeping
    12 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1980 TOPPS 195 LESTER HAYES ...... sold
    13 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 TOPPS 316 DAN HAMPTON
    14 EXCELLENT 5 1982 TOPPS 51 ANTHONY MUNOZ ALL-PRO ????
    15 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 TOPPS 143 ANDRE TIPPETT
    15 NEAR MINT 7 1984 TOPPS 143 ANDRE TIPPETT
    16 MINT 9 1984 TOPPS 222 JIM COVERT ..... keeping
    17 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1984 TOPPS 286 JACKIE SLATER
    18 MINT 9 1991 PRO SET 762 BRETT FAVRE ..... Favre's are for a buddy
    18 MINT 9 1991 PRO SET 762 BRETT FAVRE
    19 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1993 SP 123 WILL SHIELDS
    20 MINT 9 1995 FINEST 212 RUBEN BROWN .... sold

Total Items: 27

Date Received: 3/26/2008

Date Shipped: 4/10/2008

Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher