Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• << <i>gees josh

what kind of crap is this...you told me you were remodeling the outhouse.....next thing I know is we are tied again. >>

His new Alan Page 10 will break that tie....image
  • Count me in for getting sniped on that one too. Can I please win one card tonight guys. ONE!
  • The way Josh is buying i better hurry up and find my Bronko image
    Looks like another ebay selling spey is needed image

• envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>......and I am sitting here holding his Tittle 7 thinking he has no money.....image >>

LOL

I DON'T!

If I can sell my Page 9 and these cards above I will though. image

A Page 10 has shown up 3 times in the last 2 years. My Vikes set needs it or MOSH is going to stomp me.

Art, I was fully expecting you'd win the Page. I knew you needed it and I figured you'd be on top once the bidding was done. I have to thank my buddy Jay for letting me know the auction was out there as my stupid ebay saved search didn't find it for some reason. Argh.
  • IT`S all good Josh went into tonight needing a Bronko ,Dean ,Payton and Bradshaw got my Bradshaw
    SO NOW DOWN TO 3 image ,Have been holding out for a nice centered copy of Terry same with Walter.
    I need Thorpe, Gifford, Grange and Bronko. I plan on filling those out at Nationals or before with any luck at all.

I don't know what the future holds once the set is completed. This kitchen remodel is seriously getting out of hand. I haven't even bought anything yet and my original budget is already $5k more than I expected. I just wanted some granite countertops, replace the dining room carpet and kitchen linoleum with tile and tile the entryway. Some new stainless appliances and some carpet for the living room and stairs. I figured $12-15k and it's closer to $20k already. My tax return isn't going to be that big! So I think some stuff is gonna have to wait.

I have a PSA 6 Tittle for sale too if anyone is interested. I need to take care of Jasen.

Edited to add scan of Tittle for those interested:
  • Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Okay, okay, Josh!!! I will help you out with enough for at least a new can opener.
    PM sent.

Bob....
    Sweet Bob! I love helping you with your set! (And I love that you buy my upgrades so the wife doesn't kick me out. image

I'm having fun watching your set get built.

So, Groza, Mix and Fears are sold. Tittle 6, Tark 7 and Page 9 are available. Scans of Tark and Page are on the BST board. I can do $250 on Tark, $105 on Page and $185 on Tittle if anyone on this thread is interested.
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Interested in the Tittle. PMed you for a scan. If well centered, I am a buyer!

Snorto~
  • Can you send in reviews under the specials for this month? $5 and $12
    if so, I assume the review cards must be on a seperate invoice than my raw cards.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Vince yes and yes must be seperate invoices
  • thanks for the info
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Hello my friends. This post is OT, but it's the only thread I read image

Recently I've been playing around with some technology that I think may improve the way condition sensitive items are purchased over the internet. It's called Deepzoom and it allows you to see the level of detail we only dream about now. I've thrown together a sample to demonstrate it.

First, you'll need to install the Beta 2.0 version of Microsoft Silverlight. Long store short, Silverlight is Microsoft's competitor to Adobe's Flash. You can download it here:
    Silverlight 2.0 Beta

After it installs, close and reopen your browser and then you hopefully can view my test page:
    Test Page

It's on a free site so it may take a few seconds to load. Let me know what you think. I've used only HOFer cards to make it a little relevant image
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I need Thorpe, Gifford, Grange and Bronko. I plan on filling those out at Nationals or before with any luck at all.

I don't know what the future holds once the set is completed. This kitchen remodel is seriously getting out of hand. I haven't even bought anything yet and my original budget is already $5k more than I expected. I just wanted some granite countertops, replace the dining room carpet and kitchen linoleum with tile and tile the entryway. Some new stainless appliances and some carpet for the living room and stairs. I figured $12-15k and it's closer to $20k already. My tax return isn't going to be that big! So I think some stuff is gonna have to wait.

>>

Are you reusing the old cabinets? If you're getting new cabinets to go with the new tile, granite, and appliances, expect to double your estimate image

Joe (in the process of a hobby-budget-crippling kitchen remodel)
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I need Thorpe, Gifford, Grange and Bronko. I plan on filling those out at Nationals or before with any luck at all.

>>

Are you reusing the old cabinets? If you're getting new cabinets to go with the new tile, granite, and appliances, expect to double your estimate image

Joe (in the process of a hobby-budget-crippling kitchen remodel) >>

HA! I did mine last summer, tile floors, tile backsplash, granite counter tops...We upgraded 2 of the appliances (dishwasher and built-in microwave) to match what we already had gotten when we first moved there in the refrig and stove. Kept the cabinets, but painted them and added new stainless steel fixtures to tie them together with the room. Total spent was just under 10K, and would have been even cheaper except that the kitchen has a bar that's over 12 feet long which needed extra granite and extra tile on its face. Was a nice touch though, as the stone tile on the bar matches the stone surrounding our pool just outside the kitchen. When it was painted, the kids would sit at the bar and dirty it up, now with the tile, its super easy just to wipe clean. I recommend it to anyone with bar seating..Tile over paint on the wall.

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Uh, is the next post on this thread going to be from Bob Vila? image
  • MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Whether you are completely remodeling your home or using some of the readily available low-cost adaptive products, creating a safe, comfortable and accessible environment is not planning for disability - it's planning for continued independence.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    And remember to spay and neuter your pets and help keep the pet population under control... Goodbye everybody!

<< <i>Uh, is the next post on this thread going to be from Bob Vila? image >>

Ahhh, such are the days between Super Bowl Sunday and the NFL Draft...lolol

Hey, at least we have March Madness for a few weeks right??lol

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

• << <i>

<< <i>Uh, is the next post on this thread going to be from Bob Vila? image >>

Ahhh, such are the days between Super Bowl Sunday and the NFL Draft...lolol

Hey, at least we have March Madness for a few weeks right??lol

Jason >>

Yes, we do have March Madness.....it's called the first 48 hours of free agency! Well after losing the last two Bulldog Turner 6's that were up, most recently to Bill, I broke down and bought Gabbs' Turner 6 along with a couple others so I will be inching closer to the top 30 when I get those in the mail. Nowhere near most of you guys, but I'm pretty happy for my first year in the set. In less joyous news, my Tarkenton came back from PSA (again) as trimmed. If I can't figure it out when it comes back would any of you guys take a look at it and tell me what you think? I'd pay for the return postage of course. Shoot me a PM if so, thanks.

Jasen
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    jasen

Get yourself a modern card that has fairly thick stock...and a white background for the border.
    Now place the tarkenton right next to it (on a flat surface with both cards perpendicular to the surface) and view it so the contrasting colors are matched......black 'trimmed' tark in front of the white card.
    Do this with both ways. This picks up trimmed cards everytime. Of course it doesn't discriminate between factory undersize....

Do the top & bottom border thickness' look about the same as the side/side borders ??

After 2x back trimmed...ya might try going for just authentic.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

• << <i>jasen

Get yourself a modern card that has fairly thick stock...and a white background for the border.
    Now place the tarkenton right next to it (on a flat surface with both cards perpendicular to the surface) and view it so the contrasting colors are matched......black 'trimmed' tark in front of the white card.
    Do this with both ways. This picks up trimmed cards everytime. Of course it doesn't discriminate between factory undersize....

Do the top & bottom border thickness' look about the same as the side/side borders ??

After 2x back trimmed...ya might try going for just authentic. >>

So I finally have a use for my 1995 Bowman JJ Stokes rookies! Thanks!!!

• << <i>Hello my friends. This post is OT, but it's the only thread I read image

Recently I've been playing around with some technology that I think may improve the way condition sensitive items are purchased over the internet. It's called Deepzoom and it allows you to see the level of detail we only dream about now. I've thrown together a sample to demonstrate it.

First, you'll need to install the Beta 2.0 version of Microsoft Silverlight. Long store short, Silverlight is Microsoft's competitor to Adobe's Flash. You can download it here:
    Silverlight 2.0 Beta

After it installs, close and reopen your browser and then you hopefully can view my test page:
    Test Page

It's on a free site so it may take a few seconds to load. Let me know what you think. I've used only HOFer cards to make it a little relevant image >>

Brian,

That is TIGHT!!!! I'd give my 79 Topps Willie Hall 9 to be able to use that on people's eBay auctions! image
  • Hey guys,

Hope everyone's collection is looking good !!

I found something interesting on VCP

Jasen asked me about the availability of my Cris Carter Score RC PSA 10. I went to VCP to see what they are going for
    and found that it looks like someone is trying to corner the market !!

Thought you guys might find it interesting! (check it out)

Hope everyone is well,

Regards,

Gabbs

<< <i>

>>

Joe (in the process of a hobby-budget-crippling kitchen remodel) >>

I figured $2500 for my tile (only a 12x18 room), labor estimate came back at $2k. Tile is another 1500. So we're +$1k to the budget... (this is a friend of the family that does amazing work so I don't mind paying, but it was a lot more expensive than I planned)

Granite Countertops, I have a buddy that sells the slabs wholesale and was gonna hook me up with a contractor that would do them on the side. INstead of $65/sqft it would be around 50. 40sqft of countertop, big difference. So I go to pick it out and we're talking and I get a price and it's $63/sqft. Come to find out, Lowes and Home Depot have beat them up so badly on the price it's actually CHEAPER for me to go to one of them than to buy it wholesale. I also didn't factor in the (ridiculous) cost of the under cabinet sink (nearly $400) nor the $400 to do a finished cut as opposed to the rough cut for a drop in sink. So that added another $800 to the budget for those two unplanned things and then +$13/sqft for the granite I wasn't planning on.

Carpet - another friend of the family. I figured $1500 or so, and it's gonna be closer to $1700 once I picked out a better carpet.

For some reason, I didn't calc in the install price for the applicances either, so that added almost $600 to the $5k I had budgeted for that. Plus, I have to get a new gas line run which I figured was maybe $100 tops. No, it's anywhere from $250-600 depending on the plumber. Oh and the city gets a cut too. they get $50.50 for a permit.

So some things are going to have to wait. probably the appliances unfortunately. All of mine work fine though. they are all white and with the dark granite and dark tile going in it might look funky for a couple months but oh well. They're only 8 years old, I can live for a few months with them. The kitchen won't be complete til they're in there though.

As for the cabinets, I have another friend and his dad who are fantastic carpenters. We talked about all new cabinets and it would be somewhere in the neighborhood for $14-20k depending on what I picked out. Home Depot and Lowes are more like $18-25k so it's a substantial savings. We talked about just refacing them too for a cost of closer to $4k. Anybody ever done that? Sounds like you get new doors and drawer-fronts and just a 1/4" laminate of the new wood over the existing cabinets. I've seen some they've done and they look great.

Alright, enough of the "Home Again" talk, but with my upgrades and this remodel, this is what has been consuming my life the last few weeks. lol

<< <i>Hey guys,

Hope everyone's collection is looking good !!

I found something interesting on VCP

Jasen asked me about the availability of my Cris Carter Score RC PSA 10. I went to VCP to see what they are going for
    and found that it looks like someone is trying to corner the market !!

Thought you guys might find it interesting! (check it out)

Hope everyone is well,

Regards,

Gabbs

>>

He's only bought 20 of them. lol

I already have one luckily.
  • Another shout out to Gabbs for hooking me up with the Score Carter. Even though he's not a HOFer (yet), I needed it for my 89 Score PSA 10 set. He was the last HOF (or future HOF) RC from that set I needed. I was the underbidder on probably half those auctions on VCP, so thanks again to Gabbs!!! image

Jasen
  • Just wanted to let you guys know that I posted

a 1966 Hickerson PSA 8 on eBay.

They have been dropping a little lately so, I just listed this one
    and we will see where it goes (It is a pretty nice 8)

Ends Sunday night.

Thanks,

Gabbs

1966 Phil. Gene Hickerson HOF RC PSA 8

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess you could say that Hickerson 8 is now "up for Gabbs". image

I know. That was terrible.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Quick football question for you guys. Friend of mine mentions today that the Packers signed Brandon Chillar and the headline stated is was the first Native American pro football player. I thought that honor went to Jim Thorpe? The HOF website lists Thorpe being on the 1925 Giants and 1928 Chicago Cardinals. What's the right answer? Jason??
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • From the Wikipedia entry about Jim Thorpe:

His parents were of mixed descent. His father, Hiram Thorpe, had an Irish father and a Sac and Fox Indian mother, while his mother, Charlotte Vieux, had a French father and a Native American mother. Thorpe was raised as a Sac and Fox, and his native name was Wa-Tho-Huk, translated as "A path lighted by a great flash of lightning" or more simply "Bright Path".[2] As was the custom for Sac and Fox, Thorpe was named for something occurring around the time of his birth, in this case the sunlight brightening the path to the cabin where he was born. Thorpe's mother was Catholic and raised the children in the faith, which Thorpe later observed throughout his adult life.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭✭
    andy andy andy

if this were the hockey thread you would be in the penalty box for a very long time.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • For sale....going on ebay sunday night if not sold on here.

Bradshaw 7 SOLD
    Staubach 7 SOLD
    Tittle 5 SOLD
    McDonald 7
    Otto 9 (topps)

• Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    PM sent
  • Thanks for the response bcd33, but it doesn't quite answer the question. Was Thorpe the first Native American to play in the NFL or was the headline about Chillar nothing but Packer propagandaimage
    Frank,

I think we have our indians mixed up...lol... Chillar is of Indian descent. Meaning his family is FROM India (the country in Asia), not native american. And in that case, he's probably the first.

Jason

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Funny mix-up between American Indian and Indian American image

Native Americans played a significant role in early pro football.

The Oorang Indians we an all Native American team in the 3rd and 4th years of the NFL.

In addition to Thorpe, HOFer Joe Guyon was of Native American descent. He was 100% Chippewa, and was also a 2-sport athlete that played professional baseball as well as football. There are other notable early NFL stars with native blood, but I can't think of any names at the moment.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Guys, When is Deion Sanders eligible for HOF and do you think he will be an automatic first ballot inductee?
    Doc

<< <i>Hey Guys, When is Deion Sanders eligible for HOF and do you think he will be an automatic first ballot inductee?
    Doc >>

Deion will be eligible in 2011 along side Willie Roaf, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis...And yes he is a first ballot lock along with Marshall Faulk that year...Roaf will be very close and either Martin or Bettis could sneak in. 2011 could be the first class since 1970 to have more than 3 first ballot players get enshrined. Only thing stopping it is that Faluk, Martin and Bettis will all very likley draw comparisons to each other and that mey cause Martin and/or Bettis to lose votes.

Jason
    Shouldn't Cris Carter have been a first ballot lock? Randall McDaniel should have at least gotten in on his 2nd try. I'm not so convinced on these "locks" anymore. The HOF voters are really confusing me the last couple of years.

<< <i>Shouldn't Cris Carter have been a first ballot lock? Randall McDaniel should have at least gotten in on his 2nd try. I'm not so convinced on these "locks" anymore. The HOF voters are really confusing me the last couple of years. >>

Yeah, but those guys played for the Vikings, so its understandable...image

Good point though, NOTHING in life is guaranteed when voting is involved..When i call someone a lock, it is based on my opinion. But i'm also not a voter...

Jason
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Relax. As soon as the Minneapolis writer dies, all the Vikings who should be in will get in.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Shouldn't Cris Carter have been a first ballot lock? Randall McDaniel should have at least gotten in on his 2nd try. I'm not so convinced on these "locks" anymore. The HOF voters are really confusing me the last couple of years. >>

I'm with ya. If Cris Carter isn't a first-ballot HOF'er (which he amazingly wasn't), then anything goes. I think McDaniel got screwed being a first-time eligible the same year as Bruce Matthews. As I've said before, timing plays a major factor in HOF voting. If you are the best in a weak class, chances are good that you'll get a solid look. But if you are weakest in a great class, you could have to wait a while. Some of these guys really need to stagger their retirements! image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    How about Kuechenberg, is he a shoe in next year? Especially since the Dolphins still own the only perfect season in NFL history.

Doc

<< <i>How about Kuechenberg, is he a shoe in next year? Especially since the Dolphins still own the only perfect season in NFL history.

Doc >>

Keuchenberg has been a finalist for the last 19 years...2009 will be his last shot at being elected as a modern candidate..So, I would say he's FAR from a shoe in..But guys in their last year of eligibility tend to get a very hard look, so it very well could be Kuechenbergs year..

Jason
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Guys, When is Deion Sanders eligible for HOF and do you think he will be an automatic first ballot inductee?
    Doc >>

Deion will be eligible in 2011 along side Willie Roaf, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis...And yes he is a first ballot lock along with Marshall Faulk that year...Roaf will be very close and either Martin or Bettis could sneak in. 2011 could be the first class since 1970 to have more than 3 first ballot players get enshrined. Only thing stopping it is that Faluk, Martin and Bettis will all very likley draw comparisons to each other and that mey cause Martin and/or Bettis to lose votes.

Jason >>

I would think Roaf would be more of a 'lock' than Sanders. I know he was considered a 'shut down' corner (thus limiting his chances for picks), but he's not even in the Top 20 all time in INT's. Throw in the facts that he was a poor tackler and avoided contact many times, I think he's less than a lock, IMO. On the positive side, he was a very good return man, but there's been many of them that won't sniff the HOF.
  • Available here 1st only will go on the bay Monday email me at jelly_man@msn.com or pm me

50 Motley psa 7 very nice---------------sold
    51 Weinmeister psa 7 solid 7
    52 small Robustelli psa 6
    63 Buoniconti psa 6 with 7+ corners oc
    67 Wilcox psa 8.5 fresh grade
    70 Barney psa 8
    70 Stenerud psa 8
    71 Wehrli psa 7---------------sold
    72 Joiner psa 8----------------sold
    72 E. Thomas psa 8 PENDING
    72 Yary psa 7
    77 Largent psa 8 -----------sold
    77 Carson psa 8
    81 Winslow psa 8
    81 Monk psa 9,s and psa 10
    84 Slater psa 9
    84 Green psa 8,s psa 9,s and psa 10,s
    87 Zimmerman psa 8
    89 Barry Sanders psa 8.5 ? looks like a 10
    89 Aikman psa 10
    89 Woodson psa 9
    89 Irvin psa 9,s
    ALSO ADDED A 89 SCORE Barry Sanders psa 9

All prices would be around vcp avg
  • think we have our indians mixed up...lol... Chillar is of Indian descent. Meaning his family is FROM India (the country in Asia), not native american. And in that case, he's probably the first.

Thanks Jason. I did ask the guy who told me, but he insisted Chillar was American Indian (as in native American). BTW, did I mention this friend of mine is a moron?image
  • Hey guys,

If I have an SGC graded card should I crack it and send in the raw card to PSA or should I send it in the SGC holder for a crossover? I have heard that it's better to send in the raw card, but at the same time I have had problems with PSA sending back cards as trimmed. Thanks in advance for the input.

Jasen
  • To me, it depends on the grade you have and the grade...you want. I have had 100% success crossing SGC 9 to PSA 9 but asking one company to grade a 8.5 up to a 9 seems like a long shot. Anything under SGC 96 I crack. That's just me.