Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Congrats on starting the set. I am still a rookie but my choice is to complete as much as I can then start upgrade as opportunities and funds present themselves.
    This is a great group of guys to deal with and I am having a blast on my quest. I don't know if I will ever finish, but I'm certainly going to try.

Bob...
  • Options
    You still haven't sold either yet envoy?

My personal thoughts are to get as many high grades to start. My problem is quitting. So having a lot of 9's laying around is keeping me interested. I've never really owned any of these so, for me, this is new and cool. And if I get bored at least I have many 9's to sell. But they are nice and make me not want to sell them.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I finally started this set......I know it will be a lifetime set.......completing and upgrading......but its by far my favorite football set......and I will enjoy every addition and upgrade.
    Is it best to get the highest grade possible slowly going card to card?......or just try and complete 1st then upgrade as needed? >>

I'd say both in a sense...I wouldn't set your goals so high that you're only finding one or two cards a month...That's where I'm at on the set..Upgrades are getting hard to come by without tapping into the kids college funds...lolol

Maybe set a goal you would like to eventually end up in, and be willing to accept one or two grades lower as you get there. For example, my lifetime goals are:'

1933-1948--PSA 7
    1950-1969--PSA 8
    1970-1987--PSA 9
    1988-present--PSA 10

BUT, some of these are either so expensive or so tough in the grades I would eventually like to own, I've been willing to accept a lower graded card for the time being. When I started collecting this set almost 10 years ago, my goal was to get all cards in PSA 8. By the time we finally got this set on the Registry 5 years, my goals had changed to what my current goals are above. And that was based on cost and availability.

All-in-all, I've probably sold 200+ upgraded cards along the way...Some of them I went from PSA 6 to PSA 7 to PSA 8 along the way..The Namath RC I actually started with a 5, then 6, 7 and finally an 8.

Do what you can afford and what you can comfortably enjoy! Best of luck, I miss the early days of building my set, so enjoy the ride...
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Need a PSA 7 tark or PSA 9 Page? image >>

Tempting... I do need a Tark.

Page... I don't need to upgrade, yet...

PM me an offer I can't refuse on the Tark... PayPal can follow immediately. image
  • Options
    Make it a high offer envoy, he'd pass way by me with a Tark. That 7 you got is worth at least $600 lol
  • Options
    Jasp24 and 9nth thank you....and thank you for the advice....for me right now Ide say are cards with great eye apeal on the vintage and and if possible only 8's-10's 1970 on up.......(even though I just picked up a cheap Swann 4...lol)
    Its funny you mentioned the Namath....I was doing alittle price homework on it lastnight........It is WAY up there on my wanted list!

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>Make it a high offer envoy, he'd pass way by me with a Tark. That 7 you got is worth at least $600 lol >>

Don't look now, but I added a few and jumped up 5 spots. image
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Make it a high offer envoy, he'd pass way by me with a Tark. That 7 you got is worth at least $600 lol >>

Don't look now, but I added a few and jumped up 5 spots. image >>

Thats just not right.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Jesus, I'm back to 60th.
    At least us new guys can breath some new life into this thread with our mumbo jumbo.
    But I am very anxious for Jason to post all his RC's he's got stashed, might be like Christmas morning. I wait with hands folded and trying to be patient. Give a hint......will there be some Minty 9's that I might need? If so I'll save my pennies. I did hit a thousand bucks on a scratch ticket earlier this week so you know where it will be going. But here in PA it takes forever to get any money you win so I could not even be doing this set when it arrives.
    BTW congrats MR. OTW etc. on moving up the ladder making my stay in the 50's last one day. What is your name sir? So I don't have to write out your username everytime I'm referring to you. I am a Jason too so things could get confusing but you all know he's the Big Jason and I am Jason60th.
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the madness boys!! I love seeing new guys join this set. It is definatly addicting.......

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Jesus, I'm back to 60th.
    At least us new guys can breath some new life into this thread with our mumbo jumbo.
    But I am very anxious for Jason to post all his RC's he's got stashed, might be like Christmas morning. I wait with hands folded and trying to be patient. Give a hint......will there be some Minty 9's that I might need? If so I'll save my pennies. I did hit a thousand bucks on a scratch ticket earlier this week so you know where it will be going. But here in PA it takes forever to get any money you win so I could not even be doing this set when it arrives.
    BTW congrats MR. OTW etc. on moving up the ladder making my stay in the 50's last one day. What is your name sir? So I don't have to write out your username everytime I'm referring to you. I am a Jason too so things could get confusing but you all know he's the Big Jason and I am Jason60th. >>

My real name is Scott . . .

I look forward to pursuing this set, but I chuckle at how all of us vary with regards to ability to purchase.

Using Josh's kitchen as an example, there are some that want a new kitchen and can jus buy a new house instead. Others would gut the entire place and rebuild, some would remodel, others would do a discounted upgrade, there are some that would hit Benjamin Moore and buy new paint, and lastly, those of us at the bottom of the totem pole could probably afford a used toaster . . . Heck, I might have toruble affording the bread to go in the toaster. image

• Options

<< <i>
    But I am very anxious for Jason to post all his RC's he's got stashed, might be like Christmas morning. I wait with hands folded and trying to be patient. Give a hint......will there be some Minty 9's that I might need?
    >>

Here are some hints you might be interested in:

PSA 5 1933 Grange
    PSA 7 1950 Tittle
    PSA 8 1950 Lavelli
    PSA 7 1951 Van Brocklin
    PSA 8 1955 Ford
    PSA 7 1955 St. Clair
    PSA 7 1957 Hornung
    PSA 7 1966 Butkus
    PSA 9 1973 Youngblood
    PSA 9 1981 Monk
    PSA 9 1984 Long
    PSA 9 1984 USFL Kelly
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Time to get a second or third job!!
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I have been on this set for just over a year. I am at 37th with 36% completed. My goal is completion with upgrades to the Packer players when I can afford it.

Welcome aboard to all the newbies to the set. It is a fun.

Also, I don't pay attention to the weights because I will never make the top 10, ever. But in 5-10 years I will have it at 100% and that has got to be in the top 20 of the current sets at that time, I hope.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    No Jason (60th), I haven't sold them yet. I posted on the BST board a couple weeks ago and on the vintage board, but no takers. Sold all the others I had. (Tittle, Groza, Fears etc) but Tark and Page remain. I live in MN, so when I get up to a local show they'll be gone before I leave, but I wanted to give the guys on the boards a crack first. I was going to list them on ebay but my fees are up over $300 right now from my big purge a couple weeks ago. Of course I spent all my proceeds so no money to pay ebay this week. lol

The HOF set is more important than ebay fees!

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    Thanks for the Shannon Sharpe RC the last week envoy. It arrived packaged and looks great.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the Shannon Sharpe RC the last week envoy. It arrived packaged and looks great. >>

You bet! Glad it got to you safe and sound
  • Options
    That reminds me Josh, I picked up yet another package from the PO from you yesterday.

Thanks!image
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Jason,

Were you aware that the HOF modern set still contains several of the 2008 inductees? I thought the set had already been updated.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>Jason,

Were you aware that the HOF modern set still contains several of the 2008 inductees? I thought the set had already been updated.

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

Yep, I e-mailed Gayle to check on the status a few weeks ago and was told they are having some sort of technical difficulty deleting the cards. Has something to do with the new Registry changes I assume...She didn't give a timeline, only that they are working on it.

Jason
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    I may, emphasis on MAY, have a lead on a PSA 9 Marion Motley rookie if any of you big dogs are interested. Don't drool just yet though. It's probably 50/50. I'll post here if it comes through.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Doc1962Doc1962 Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Hey Scott,

Welcome to the set, always great to have another loyal member. As Dave said earlier, this set can be VERY addicting, and that's just the initial cards, wait until you want to start upgrading!!

Doc
  • Options
    I think that is exactly what Dave told me several months ago as well. I am so hooked!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Scott,

Welcome to the set, always great to have another loyal member. As Dave said earlier, this set can be VERY addicting, and that's just the initial cards, wait until you want to start upgrading!!

Doc >>

Thanks for the welcome!

Upgrading? UPGRADING?!?! I would expect the Spanish Inquisition before upgrading . . . and NO ONE expects the Spanish Inquisition! (Obligatory Monty Python reference)

• Options
    Well, Guys I hate to say it, but I'm bowing out of this set for good. I am going to focus my collection on the highest graded WNBA rookies I can find.. It's been fun....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

Mark
    --------------------------------------------
    NFL HOF RC SET
  • Options

<< <i>Well, Guys I hate to say it, but I'm bowing out of this set for good. I am going to focus my collection on the highest graded WNBA rookies I can find.. It's been fun....

Dave >>

Dave,

I assume you are kidding...otherwise I'd have to slap you...

Rgs,

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

Happy April Fools day ya'll....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Dave, that explains why you lost out to Mike on the 1948 Turner PSa 5, you're secretly wearing skirts!
  • Options

Dave,

I assume you are kidding...otherwise I'd have to slap you...

Rgs,

Greg M. >>

• Options
    I saw that one coming Dave, and I'm having a fire sale on all my cards for $1 each, first come first served!!

Doc
  • Options
    LOL...I would but since I'm getting out, I'll have to pass...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Dave, that explains why you lost out to Mike on the 1948 Turner PSa 5, you're secretly wearing skirts! >>

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    But I am very anxious for Jason to post all his RC's he's got stashed, might be like Christmas morning. I wait with hands folded and trying to be patient. Give a hint......will there be some Minty 9's that I might need?
    >>

Here are some hints you might be interested in:

PSA 5 1933 Grange
    PSA 7 1950 Tittle
    PSA 8 1950 Lavelli
    PSA 7 1951 Van Brocklin
    PSA 8 1955 Ford
    PSA 7 1955 St. Clair
    PSA 7 1957 Hornung
    PSA 7 1966 Butkus
    PSA 9 1973 Youngblood
    PSA 9 1981 Monk
    PSA 9 1984 Long
    PSA 9 1984 USFL Kelly >>

Jason,

What are you trying to do here, man? You are going to ruin some National budgets!!!

Jasen
  • Options
    I have a question for all of you big-time HOF buffs. Why is the 1966 Philadelphia Gene Hickerson card weighted 1.5 in the HOF set and 1 in the 1966 Philadelphia set. To me, the card should be weighted the same no matter what set it is placed in. Are you guys with me on this or not?
    Thanks,
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question for all of you big-time HOF buffs. Why is the 1966 Philadelphia Gene Hickerson card weighted 1.5 in the HOF set and 1 in the 1966 Philadelphia set. To me, the card should be weighted the same no matter what set it is placed in. Are you guys with me on this or not?
    Thanks,
    Tim >>

It is all relative to the other cards in the set. The Earl Campbell RC is weighted 10 in the 79 Topps set, but would be ridiculous to make it a 10 in the HOF RC set. Normally I would think the cards would carry a higher weight in their peer set, so I agree the Hickerson seems out of whack.

Jasen
  • Options
    The Hickerson could probably be weighted higher in the 66 Philly set. The comparison to the Earl Campbell is a good one. An 8 for Campbell sells for $30. Barely a blip on the HOF rc radar, but certainly among the most expensive in the 79 set. The Hickerson in an 8 is $200-300 and compared to a number of other 66's in PSA 8, is among the higher end. However, the Sayers and Butkus are going to be the top dogs in that set at $450+ in PSA 8. It probably deserves a new look in that set. I was and still am surprised it's only a 1.5 in the HOF set as it probably deserves a 3 or higher. I know Jason tried to get that changed but the powers that be vetoed it. It's a $5 card that sells for $200+ now...a month before he was a HOF nominee it was probably a $12 card. We have that kind of effect on cards. image
  • Options
    Thanks for your input guys. I am gonna see how to put in a request to weight it higher in the 1966 philadelphia set. Hopefully, if that works, it will take effect in your set also.
    Tim
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for your input guys. I am gonna see how to put in a request to weight it higher in the 1966 philadelphia set. Hopefully, if that works, it will take effect in your set also.
    Tim >>

The problem is, you are asking for ONE CARD to be changed. Each set weighting is measured ONLY vs. itself. Meaning only the card values in the set can be judged against other card values in the set. So if you want the Hickerosn weight changed in the 1966 Philly set, you should invest the time in reviewing ALL the cards in the 66 Philly set and updating ALL of the grade weights. Picking and choosing a couple rather than fixing the entire set is not the right way of doing things, and I would hope BJ, Cosetta and Gayle will all tell you the same.

Also, any changes you make to the 1966 Philly set will have absolutely ZERO bearing on the NFL HOF RC set. I update the entire sets grade weighting every January to ensure these cards are as correctly weighted as possible.

Anyway, I got my latest review sub back and finally received my very first GOOSE EGG...0 for 16...In fairness, 14 of the 16 had already been submitted last month under the new .5 system, these were just cards I disagreed with them on...i had high hopes for the 2 new cards thoough. Win some you lose some...lol

Jason
  • Options

Also, any changes you make to the 1966 Philly set will have absolutely ZERO bearing on the NFL HOF RC set. I update the entire sets grade weighting every January to ensure these cards are as correctly weighted as possible.

Well if you ask me. Weighting Hickerson at 1.5, you are way off.
  • Options

<< <i>Also, any changes you make to the 1966 Philly set will have absolutely ZERO bearing on the NFL HOF RC set. I update the entire sets grade weighting every January to ensure these cards are as correctly weighted as possible.

Well if you ask me. Weighting Hickerson at 1.5, you are way off. >>

Weighting Hickerson at a 1.5 wasn't our doing. That was PSA over-riding the weights we agreed on. Jason took the time to look at actual sale values for all the cards in the set and come up with new weighting. Like he said, the weights are only weighted against other cards in the same set. It's pretty rare that a card is going to have the same weight in every set. Unless it's a 52 Topps Mantle or a 35 Chicle Nagurski which are probably always going to be 10's. There is no disagreement that a 1.5 is low for Hickerson in the HOF set, I think that weight is generally reserved for cards that sell in the $100 range. Hickerson in an 8 outdoes that by 2.5-3x. But Joe O himself set the weight. ( at least I think that's what I remember hearing)

You can go back to the posts on this thread from late November, early December and you will probably see the new, submitted weights that were sent to PSA. There is another post, probably from January some-time, that has what PSA actually did with those recommendations.

• Options
    Jason- 0/16? That sounds like one of my subs!

Sorry to hear that.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Jason. I just submitted around 25 for review including my PSA 8 Unitas, Graham, Fears and Hirsch. I would be happy with 4 or 5 bumps. I sifted through all my HOF rc (around 130 or so) and pulled what I thought were the truly undergraded cards.

Cross your fingers.

Greg M.

References:
  • Options

<< <i>Also, any changes you make to the 1966 Philly set will have absolutely ZERO bearing on the NFL HOF RC set. I update the entire sets grade weighting every January to ensure these cards are as correctly weighted as possible.

Well if you ask me. Weighting Hickerson at 1.5, you are way off. >>

The weight I requested for the Hickerson was 3.0, based on the AVG selling price of $312.46 for PSA 8 at the time (which has actually gone down since then). My weights were based on ACTUAL sales, while PSA still bases the weights on the SMR. Thing is, Hickerson wasn't the only one. My question is, why fix ONE card when 150 others are also off. Fix them all in the set or fix none IMO. That's how I do it. And i will try again next January to get PSA to use ACTUAL VCP average sales to calculate the set.

Josh, what can you do right..Like I said, win some, lose some...I said when I first sent them in, if ever there were a chance of me getting no bumps, this would be the sub..I wanted to give some of them a second try..I did and they weren't bump worthy, I'm good with that.

Jason
  • Options
    Had a 10 day pop today that i gave them at the Reading show on FEB 29TH long ten days

3 for 17

8 to 8.5 76 Payton
    7 to 7.5 50 Canadeo
    6 to 6.5 48 leaf Dudley I already have a 7 so this card is available if anyone needs it

Also had a few orders logged in today a 5 day 2 ten days and a whenever 100 card order, so let the wait begin
  • Options
    I gotta get my sub ready to go tonight too I suppose. Ugh. Takes so long to put them together.
  • Options
  • Options
    So what's all this talk about Favre coming out of retirement.........say it aint so, I can't picture him in another uniform!!!

Any thoughts???

Doc
  • Options

<< <i>So what's all this talk about Favre coming out of retirement.........say it aint so, I can't picture him in another uniform!!!

Any thoughts???

Doc >>

I think it's just wishful thinking by some. I just listened to an interview with Chris Mortensen who said he talked to Bus Cook his agent who said he hadn't talked to any teams and that Brett has never indicated he wanted to play for someone else.