Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    WOO-HOO....The new weights move me up from 34th to, uh, 33rd. I still have a long way to go to catch you guys, but I've gotten over 30% of the set (with 8 more cards on the way) since I started this quest at last year's National. My buddy gives me 2 more years to finish; I say closer to 5, given my budget and grade requirements. Any other guesses? How long have you guys been doing your sets?

Jasen
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>WOO-HOO....The new weights move me up from 34th to, uh, 33rd. I still have a long way to go to catch you guys, but I've gotten over 30% of the set (with 8 more cards on the way) since I started this quest at last year's National. My buddy gives me 2 more years to finish; I say closer to 5, given my budget and grade requirements. Any other guesses? How long have you guys been doing your sets?

Jasen >>

I started in late 1998 early 1999...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I only started mine a few months ago and am very happy to have over 30% complete. I would guess it will be several years until I sniff the Top Ten, but I am okay with that. I am 43rd since the new weights came out, but I can live with that. I have a few more coming and a few more to buy in the near future so that will move me up the ladder a little. I also have some nice raw rookies to get slabbed in the near future. In any event this is a fun collection to work on and I am really enjoying it!

Bob...
  • Options
    I cannot sit back any longer, this just looks like too much fun, I am starting this set. My standards are so high though I may never even come close to finishing. For me, I'd rather not have the card than a crappy off center 7. How does everyone go about this, try and finish the set then upgrade? Or Try and get the highest they can at the moment? Is it about quantity or quality for most or both? Opinions wanted.
  • Options

<< <i>How does everyone go about this, try and finish the set then upgrade? Or Try and get the highest they can at the moment? Is it about quantity or quality for most or both? Opinions wanted. >>

All of the above...lol...My goal in the set doesn't really relate to the Registry in that I don't care too much where I am ranked..It's fun to see where you stack up and it adds another element, but in the grand scheme, for me, it's a small part. My goals in the set are:

1933-1948- PSA 7
    1950-1969- PSA 8
    1970-1987- PSA 9
    1988-Present- PSA 10

Anything I get above and beyond those goals are just a bonus, and many times I will trade or sell those to get something I truly NEED...The nice thing about upgrading is that there are always many others on the set who will be interested in buying or trading with you for them. If you're selling at market price, 90% of the time you can sell or trade on this thread vs. ebay...So it's not like you'll be stuck with them for a loss..If anything you will break even, and for me if I already own a PSA 7 I know I can sell for $100, it's easier to bid on that PSA 8 for $400...lol

As far as quality vs. quantity, as I said above it's both...I adjust my price points based on quality. If it's a really nice card for the grade, I might pay above market...If its a slider, I will pay below market...

It's a very competitive set..Not only the 75+ collectors on the Registry, but yu also have the casual fan who buys cards that will typically go after the "star" rookies that are in this set..You also have the typical set collectors, so for say 1950 Bowman rookies, you're also competing with the 1950 Bowman registry guys...So for the harder to find stuff, get whatever you can get..Because unless yo uhave VERY DEEP POCKETS it will take awhile to find and actually WIN the auctions for the cards you need/want.

Lastly, trash the SMR and subscribe to vintagecardprices.com. If you want to figure out what you should be bidding if you realistically want to have a chance of winning these cards, you need to be an informed buyer. VCP.com gives you that. If you bid SMR, you'll win about 5% of the cards in the set...lol

Best of luck, and welcome to set!
    Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Was updating my "Needs" list, and I'm down to 32 cards that need to be upgraded in my entire Registry collection! honestly, I'm shocked to be so close to completing all of my sets to my standards...If anyone has any of these cards listed below available, let me know!!!!

PSA 4 or better
    1935 NATIONAL CHICLE BRONKO NAGURSKI

PSA 5 or better
    1948 LEAF CHARLIE CONERLY

PSA 6 or better
    1948 LEAF CHUCK BEDNARIK#54

PSA 7 or better
    1935 NATIONAL CHICLE DUTCH CLARK
    1948 LEAF SID LUCKMAN#1
    1948 LEAF BOBBY LAYNE#6
    1948 LEAF BOB WATERFIELD#26
    1948 LEAF GEORGE CONNOR
    1948 LEAF LEO NOMELLINI#52

PSA 8 or better
    1952 BOWMAN LARGE/SMALL JOE STYDAHAR#99
    1952 BOWMAN LARGE/SMALL OLLIE MATSON#127
    1950 BOWMAN MAC SPEEDIE
    1955 BOWMAN BILLY WILSON
    1964 TOPPS JIM TYRER
    1967 PHILADELPHIA CHRIS HANBURGER
    1970 TOPPS RICH JACKSON

PSA 9 or better
    1971 TOPPS TERRY BRADSHAW
    1971 TOPPS ROGER WEHRLI
    1971 CHARLIE SANDERS
    1971 TOPPS JOE GREENE
    1971 TOPPS LEMAR PARRISH
    1971 TOPPS GARO YEPREMIAN
    1972 TOPPS ROGER STAUBACH
    1980 TOPPS LESTER HAYES
    1999 SP AUTHENTIC CHAMP BAILEY

PSA 10
    1990 ACTION PACKED R/U SHANNON SHARPE
    1994 PLAYOFF LARRY ALLEN
    1996 SP EDDIE GEORGE
    1996 SP JONATHAN OGDEN
    1996 SP TERRELL OWENS
    1997 SP AUTHENTIC ORLANDO PACE
    2000 SP AUTHENTIC TOM BRADY

Jason
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you already saw, but there's a Lester Hayes 9 on eBay ending in a few days.

Did the Wehrli 9 ever surface somewhere?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sure you already saw, but there's a Lester Hayes 9 on eBay ending in a few days.

Did the Wehrli 9 ever surface somewhere? >>

Yep, I am tracking that one...I haven't seen the Wehrli 9 anywhere on ebay or the Registry...Which means whoever owns it, doesn't know the true market value...lol

Jason
  • Options
    1948 LEAF LEO NOMELLINI#52

You dont want much image may be a long wait on these , At the least they will cost you a few dollars

As close as you are now you should figure what it would take to get you to a 8.0 gpa
  • Options

<< <i>1948 LEAF LEO NOMELLINI#52

You dont want image much may be a long wait on these , At the least the will cost you a few dollars >>

More than a few dollars...lol

I actually used to own a Stydahar 8, so they aren't impossible, but yes very tough and very expensive....Most on my list meet either one or both of those categories (tough--expensive) otherwise, I'd already own them..lol

I'm approaching my 10th anniversary of when I purchased my very first HOF RC (Nov 1998)...So I'm willing to be patient if necessary..The big question is, what the heck will I do when I finally reach all of my minimum goals in all my sets???

Maybe sell off and start over???lol

Jason
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Jason, Are you willing to "settle" for a PSA 6 Bednarik but a PSA 7 Nomellini? Why the difference? Just curious.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Jason, Are you willing to "settle" for a PSA 6 Bednarik but a PSA 7 Nomellini? Why the difference? Just curious.

dave >>

No, if I pick up a PSA 6 Bednarik, it will still remain on my "upgrade needed" list...It would just move under the PSA 7 or better heading...lol

But since I currently own a PSA 5 Bednarik, a PSA 6 would be an upgrade...Same goes for a few others like the 48 Leaf Conerly (ultimately want the card in PSA 7)..The 1970 Rich Jackson (need a PSA 9) and the 1999 SP Champ Bailey (Only a PSA 10 will get it off this list)...

And of course the monster of all monster cards..The 1935 Bronco...That card in PSA 7 will likely be the toughest, most expensive final piece to my puzzle...

Jason
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    The Stydahar in an 8. I haven't seen a 5 even come up for sale in a long time. I know a local dealer that has some 52's, I may just jump on the Stydahar cards from him. I have a feeling the $45 I paid for my raw bowman small (now a PSA 5) was probably a pretty good deal. Why is that card so tough to find?

Oh and I apparenlty wiffed when I sold my PSA 9 Lester Hayes. I think I got $25 for it in my store. I can't find the auction anymore, it's been so long. Oops.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Oh and I apparenlty wiffed when I sold my PSA 9 Lester Hayes. I think I got $25 for it in my store. I can't find the auction anymore, it's been so long. Oops. >>

WOW..How did I miss that!!!lol

The last Stydahar 8 (Small) on ebay sold for over 3K....

Jason
  • Options
    If I had to guess, I would say mikescardcloset got it 5 minutes after I listed it. image

I still don't know how he does that.

• Options

<< <i>I cannot sit back any longer, this just looks like too much fun, I am starting this set. My standards are so high though I may never even come close to finishing. For me, I'd rather not have the card than a crappy off center 7. How does everyone go about this, try and finish the set then upgrade? Or Try and get the highest they can at the moment? Is it about quantity or quality for most or both? Opinions wanted. >>

I have set my goals for this set at standards which I think make the set challenging yet still attainable. As Jason stated, unless your pockets are deeper than a Pacific Ocean trench, you will have to settle for less than top-of-the-line grades on some of these cards. It is really up to you to ultimately decide what your goals are for this set, but you have to be realistic and look at your budget when deciding your grade standards (are you willing to sell your rental property in order to buy a high-grade Bronco?). Have fun and welcome to the set!
  • Options
    Was thinking this weekend as i was reviewing cards from my hof set

Not counting 49 leafs because it really just mirrors 48 ,Only 3 years do not have a hof rookie in it or a lock rookie like Rice or Smith from 86 or someone who has been talked about making it over time like 88 Kevin Greene or 80 Smimms from 1948 through 1989
    And I think all years from the 90,s have at least 1 player for sure other then 92, We are are pulling for 1 of Jasons guys there Jimmy Smith.

So two part question whats the year i am talking about ? should be a easy question then once you get the year any ideas on anyone from that year making the hall ?
    Never hear anything about anyone from this year making the cut

I AM TALKING HOF PLAYERS NOT COACH OR EX
  • Options
    1969 has Dick Anderson maybe.
  • Options
    Forgot about Csonka!

That leaves 1953!

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Was thinking this weekend as i was reviewing cards from my hof set

Not counting 49 leafs because it really just mirrors 48 ,Only 3 years do not have a hof rookie in it or a lock rookie like Rice or Smith from 86 or someone who has been talked about making it over time like 88 Kevin Greene or 80 Smimms from 1948 through 1989
    And I think all years from the 90,s have at least 1 player for sure other then 92, We are are pulling for 1 of Jasons guys there Jimmy Smith.

So two part question whats the year i am talking about ? should be a easy question then once you get the year any ideas on anyone from that year making the hall ?
    Never hear anything about anyone from this year making the cut

I AM TALKING HOF PLAYERS NOT COACH OR EX >>

Hmmm...good question. Must be 1953 because I can't think of a single rookie in the set who is HOF calibre. 1966 Topps is a close second except that it does contain the rc of Otis Taylor, who is a legitimate senior candidate.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Yep, it's 1953..And no I don;t think we'll ever see a HOF RC from that year...

Choice of rookies are prety slim..Eddie LeBaron, Ray Renfro, Ted Marchibroda...Renfro is the only guy who ever even got mentioned on ANY All-Pro teams..And he was never a 1st Team All-Pro...

Jason
  • Options
    CORRECT 1953
    3 Years as of now no hof rookies are 53/80/88 as mention players from 80 and 88 have been talked about is there any hope for 53 ?
  • Options
    If we are talking sets, 1967 Topps has zero HOF rookies, nor anyone even remotely with a shot..

Wahoo McDaniel???lol

Jason
  • Options
    Also ....1966 Topps

Never mind....I dont read well first...LOL

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>If we are talking sets, 1967 Topps has zero HOF rookies, nor anyone even remotely with a shot..

Wahoo McDaniel???lol

Jason >>

Wrestling Hall of Fame for Chief Wahoo McDaniel!
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    Just checked the mail and my buddy "beyotch" sent me this little beauty.

Pretty looking card.
  • Options
    I wish I had a "beyotch" to send me cards like that...LOL..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I wish I had a "beyotch" to send me cards like that...LOL.. >>

Dave, don't hate the player....hate the game! lolol
  • Options
    lol

Joe has been hooking me up with his scraps lately. I'm in debt to him forever. Bob has been benefitting from some of my upgrades as well. We all share the scraps around here. image
  • Options

<< <i>lol

Joe has been hooking me up with his scraps lately. I'm in debt to him forever. Bob has been benefitting from some of my upgrades as well. We all share the scraps around here. image >>

Its the old trickle down theory...MANY of the same cards have been passed along between those of us on the set over the years...Its funny when I get cards BACK that I used to own a couple of years ago...I scan them only to find i already have a scan of the same card, same cert...lolol

Jason
  • Options
    I was talking year not set ,You never know on the senior side a lot more has to do with who is lobbying for them and not as much on pro bowls ,all pro Down the line i could see guys like Eddie LeBaron, Ray Renfro, Ted Marchibroda at least come up on the ballot
  • Options
    Wow. Just got the posting for my Hinkle. it did not bump. I am really, really surprised. Utterly disappointed and shocked. No way that card should be in a straight 7 holder.

Only card on the submission too. Just as a reminder, here is a scan of this card again.

There is a small amount of fraying on the top right corner and a little bit of the surface is worn at the very tip of the corner. Guess I'll have to take it to nationals with me and try again. that was $53 + shipping to PSA down the drain.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I don't mind getting the scraps for now. It will be awhile before I can go after the big high dollar grades, but I can live with it!
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. Just got the posting for my Hinkle. it did not bump. I am really, really surprised. Utterly disappointed and shocked. No way that card should be in a straight 7 holder.

Only card on the submission too. Just as a reminder, here is a scan of this card again.

There is a small amount of fraying on the top right corner and a little bit of the surface is worn at the very tip of the corner. Guess I'll have to take it to nationals with me and try again. that was $53 + shipping to PSA down the drain. >>

Josh, tough break...I feel ya, my Grange 8 was a single card sub and it cost me like $80 with shipping..I don;t view it as "down the drain" money personally, it was a gamble that I didn't win...But have since learned what to look for corners wise...

They are being CRAZY with the corners..You'll know for sure when you get it back because you'll have the little white sticky explaining why it didn't bump...You really need to have PSA 9 type corners in order to get any card bumped of the .5 within the grade..At least that is how my review subs were treated...

Jason
  • Options
    I am certain it will be a sticker pointing at the top right corner. You can see the frog-hair on that corner. it's the only one that shows any kind of "advanced" wear, but that is allowed even for an 8. I've seen PSA 8 chicles that look a LOT worse than this 7. Maybe I'll see if I can get it in a 7.5 or 8 SGC holder and then cross it back. lol
  • Options
    That sucks josh...I wonder if it would be worth it to crack and re-sub, even with the new flips. I definalty can't see that thing going down to a 6.5 or worse.. I still think my Hinkle is 7 wothy..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I don't think I could stomach cracking a card that expensive. Gulp.
  • Options
    come on....grow a pair....LOL..

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Jason, I was looking at your upgrade list and I noticed you had a 71 Lemar Parrish in PSA 9 or better. I still can't believe there hasn't been a 9 yet. I have a 8 that I am thinking about sending in for a review. The centering is not perfect but the corners are good. I will try to post a pic and let me know if you think it would be a waste of money. The good side is it would be bottom level pricing on the review.
    if the pic doens't work it is in my senior set
    vjs5 senior
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    centering looks to be off to much to get a bump.. IMO.

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Dave's assessment. From the '71 Parrish cards I've seen, centering, especially l-r, seems to be a common issue.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    thanks guys. That's what I thought also, but I wanted to get some opinions.
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Yeah, centering is a bit off for a 9, but with nice corners it might be worthy of an 8.5...Which would in turn be the highest graded and would probably bring a significant premium vs. the cost of having it reviewed...Might be worth a shot for the half grade???

Hard to tell from the scan, but the bottom left corner looks very lightly touched..If there is any touch at all on that corner, combined with the centering I would say that it probably won't get the half grade either...I would base my decision on that if it were my card.

Jason

• Options
    What do you guys use for declared value when submitted raw cards? Thanks.
  • Options
    Depends on what I think it will grade. In general though, I figure about PSA 8 SMR. If it's a really old card, or in lesser condition, I'll just put what I paid.
  • Options
    Have a couple of HOF Rookies for sale here:

1970 Stenerud PSA 9 NQ
    1977 Selmon PSA 9 NQ
    1987 Zimmerman PSA 9 NQ

I'd rather sell here, so email me realistic offers to madmandreamer@aol.com.

I'll be listing Non-HOF Rookies for sale on B-S-T board.

I also am sending the following to PSA for review:

1948 Leaf Van Buren PSA 7
    1952 Bowman Small McElhenny PSA 8
    1963 Topps Wilson PSA 9
    1967 Philadelphia Smith PSA 8
    1967 Philadelphia Wilcox PSA 8
    1971 Topps Bradshaw PSA 9
    1972 Topps Thomas PSA 9
    1972 Topps Wright PSA 9
    1974 Topps DeLamielleure PSA 9

I'll let you know if I get any bumps.

Marc
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options

<< <i>I'll be listing Non-HOF Rookies for sale on B-S-T board >>

Go ahead and list them here. I look at this thread much more than the other forums. In fact, I just now found Josh BST post from yesterday.
    Shame on me....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>What do you guys use for declared value when submitted raw cards? Thanks. >>

Do I base it on the SMR value for the grade I think I will get or what? Thanks.

Jasen
  • Options
    I just put what it is worth "to you"

It is used as insurance purposes when sending back to you. It is the amount you would get if the card was damaged/lost etc....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I just put what it is worth "to you"

It is used as insurance purposes when sending back to you. It is the amount you would get if the card was damaged/lost etc....

Dave >>

This is true...Another way to look at it, what if you paid $150 for the card, but the SMR is $75...Well, if you list at SMR, it will cost you $10 or less to grade it..If you list at $150, then it will cost you $15 to grade it...I would probably list the card at something like $95 value...That way, it falls into the bulk grading fees, but I get as much back as possible if something were to happen...Something you'll have to decide for yourself...

I've personally never had an issue with "registered mail" being lost, so the I try and list the card value based on what I want to pay to have it graded....At the same time, if you list a 1958 Jim Brown RC (regardless of condition) as $50 value, its going to get kicked back at PSA. Just be smart about it and make your best judgement call.

With the reviews i sent in recently I used EXACT SMR prices for the grade...This saved me a bundle in grading fees, as many cards that come in under $500 ($15 grading fee) in the SMR actually cost more than double that amount, which would have equated to $35 grading fee...

I have a sneaking suspicion that in the very near future the SMR is finally going to get corrected...It will mean more money for PSA in grading fees on reviews...All they need is $9.99 subscription to VCP...lol

Jason