Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options

<< <i>lOL..May be a long time until i reach #12, if ever. Only way is if 2 top dogs sell their collection, or if I hit the lottery. I've spent over 3K in the last 2 months and raised maybe .40 points. And trust me, that wont happen again anytime soon...image >>

You know, I often wonder what will happen to these sets when the owners die. Do you guys have someone to pass them on to or will we be seeing a bunch of high-grade stuff hitting the market at once? (any of you who wonder why I would think of this, I am an estate planning attorney so I think about this kind of stuff all day)

Dave, PM sent on one of the cards you need for your set.

Jasen
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>I have a Tittle 7 and Marchetti small 7 available for sale/trade. Let me know if any of you guys are interested before I put them up on eBay. I don't know how to insert scans yet, when I try to upload they tell me the file size is too big. Any help? Thanks. >>

Here's your scans!

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>lOL..May be a long time until i reach #12, if ever. Only way is if 2 top dogs sell their collection, or if I hit the lottery. I've spent over 3K in the last 2 months and raised maybe .40 points. And trust me, that wont happen again anytime soon...image >>

You know, I often wonder what will happen to these sets when the owners die. Do you guys have someone to pass them on to or will we be seeing a bunch of high-grade stuff hitting the market at once? (any of you who wonder why I would think of this, I am an estate planning attorney so I think about this kind of stuff all day)

Dave, PM sent on one of the cards you need for your set.

Jasen >>

Well, hopefully we dont all die at once and flood the market. lol
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I have a Tittle 7 and Marchetti small 7 available for sale/trade. Let me know if any of you guys are interested before I put them up on eBay. I don't know how to insert scans yet, when I try to upload they tell me the file size is too big. Any help? Thanks. >>

I think Dave is looking for a Tittle.
    I am too, but Josh is always holding his hand out for more of my rookie spending money! If you send me your photos, I can resize them for you (and post them if you like)
    rkrouse1@tampabay.rr.com

Bob... >>

Bob,

Thanks for posting my scans! I know I'm about a week late on the whole "I hate my scanner" discussion. I will post these around 5pm tonight, but will gladly take them down if I work out a trade with any of you guys.

Jasen
  • Options
    No problem, glad to help!
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys but I just picked up a PSA 5 Tittle yesterday from Tennesseebanker. A PSA 6 will be my ultimate goal though..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks guys but I just picked up a PSA 5 Tittle yesterday from Tennesseebanker. A PSA 6 will be my ultimate goal though..

Dave >>

Perfect! If I land a 7, you can buy my 6. image

Well, just won Bills' PSA 5 Bulldog Turner. (Sorry Mike and Dave). Still need a few cards but they're gonna have to wait; I am officially tapped out. I should be about tied with Jay at #11 when all the dust settles in a couple weeks. I'm sure he'll put an end to that very quickly though. lol

Grange, Thorpe and Nagurski...maybe at Nationals?

Jason, any word on the weighting change or when the new additions will be added?
  • Options
    Lets see, Jasen has a 7 for you...
    You have a 6 for me...
    Now, Who needs my 5..LOL..

How many of us are going to the Nationals? I just got confirmation (from the wife), that we are going. Probably arriving wednesday. We need to get a dinner or something together for us....

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I think Joe (publius) is going. I would imagine Greg will go, he lives a few miles away IIRC. Unless he's moved to Texas already.

Would be fun to get together at Pizzeria Uno or Lou Malnatti's and have some pizza and bee...sodas. image
  • Options
    There is a nice bar/restaraunt about 1-2 miles south of the convention center that I've been to several times. I cant remember the name but they have good food and cold beer.....My only 2 requirements..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I hope I make it, what is the date, I forget? I'm only 1-1/2 hrs away.

Maybe there will be a miracle and it won't be a weekend I'm running Drag Races.
  • Options
    Dave you're picky. I only require cold beer. image

• Options
    My wife is having our 4th kid (our oldest is turning 5 next month) in June or July, so I will probably by MIA for the National this year. image I am just hoping to send my brother (who is doing the Heisman set) to find some stuff for me. If by some miracle I do get to go, I'll be having GINO'S!!!
  • Options
    Bill.....

July 30-August 3, 2008

Hope to see ya there!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    I may have to go this year since I have embarked on this rookie quest. It's been several years since I have been to one, maybe Atlanta but I don't remember the year.
  • Options
    I'll have to mark my calendar, I'm at US 131 in Kalamazoo for the Nationals on Aug1st-3rd, maybe I can make the 30th. Of course the girlfriend who's due the 11th might have something to say about it as well.
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Perfect! If I land a 7, you can buy my 6. image

Well, just won Bills' PSA 5 Bulldog Turner. (Sorry Mike and Dave). Still need a few cards but they're gonna have to wait; I am officially tapped out. I should be about tied with Jay at #11 when all the dust settles in a couple weeks. I'm sure he'll put an end to that very quickly though. lol

Grange, Thorpe and Nagurski...maybe at Nationals?

Jason, any word on the weighting change or when the new additions will be added? >>

Nope, not a peep..I was told by the end of last week they would be added and updated, but with all od the new changes and registry issues I have a feeling the Registry crew is swamped..Cosetta usually replies back real quick, but I sent her something last week and never got a response..Might be awhile..I know they said new set additions are going to get pushed back months because of the pending registry changes..

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried to use the online rookie search page lately?

My computer can't seem to find the page anymore. it used to be: http://www.only-rookies.com/
  • Options
    Jason i noticed your 8.5,s in your set .
    What gives with the na on pop and pop higher ?
  • Options

<< <i>Jason i noticed your 8.5,s in your set .
    What gives with the na on pop and pop higher ? >>

I guess they still don't have the Registry set up for them yet...They do show in the POP report...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Well i see you got a jump of .2 from the 8.5,s
    As high as your gpa already was it would have cost cost you thousands buying upgrades to reach a .2 jump imageimage
    SO image
  • Options

Just an update...the Marchetti is spoken for. Although I listed the Tittle, I will likely pull it since another 7 was listed at almost the exact same time and looks a little nicer than mine. I may stick it in my set for awhile, but feel free to PM or email with offers. My set is J's Football HOF Rookie Set, around #35 or so.

Jasen
  • Options

<< <i>Well i see you got a jump of .2 from the 8.5,s
    As high as your gpa already was it would have cost cost you thousands buying upgrades to reach a .2 jump imageimage
    SO image >>

If I can get a couple on my $35 per card sub to bump, it should get me to 7.80...That would be pretty cool, I never ever expected to surpass 7.50...Been pretty lucky along the way no doubt about that. And it's been fun almost every single day since I started 9 years ago...Can't wait for my partner in crime Gswass (Glenn on the HOF set) to get back from Iraq next month...I'm hoping we will both be able to make the trip to the Nationals this year...

Jason

• Options
    Dave, I am in the market for a PSA 5 Tittle. If everyone starts upgrading let me know.
    Vince
    Collector of NFL HOF RC's & Brian Urlacher
  • Options
    Anybody want a PSA 8 Gary Zimmerman? $18 dlvd for anyone on this thread. Last few have closed $23-28 + shipping.

I'm going to put them on the BST board for $20 a piece.

Shoot me a pm if interested and let me know you saw it on this thread so I can give you the cheaper price.
  • Options
    Woo Hoo! Both of my review orders got checked in today. ( I was a little worried as I forgot to write the service level on the outside of the box) image

C'mon bumpage! image

Hinkle is a 5 day, so he should be done by 2/25

The others are 10 days, so 3/1

I'm excited already!
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I'll be making the short drive up I-55 to The National this year, and I'm definitely in for any get-together.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    Vince i may have a Tittle for you ,sold 1 on ebay going into 3rd week now no responce from buyer to invoices or emails ,Funny thing he lives 15 mins from me.
    Turning it into ebay today when they give me my credit back i give up on him.
    If you look at closed auctions under ranger_51 you will see it scan still up

Art
  • Options

<< <i>Woo Hoo! Both of my review orders got checked in today. ( I was a little worried as I forgot to write the service level on the outside of the box) image

C'mon bumpage! image

Hinkle is a 5 day, so he should be done by 2/25

The others are 10 days, so 3/1

I'm excited already! >>

Let us know when you get them back!!!!!Here's how my review sub return times have gone:

$60/2 Business day---2/4/2008---2/7/2008 (took 3 business days)
    $13/5 Business day Special---2/4/2008---2/11/2008 (took 5 business days)
    Free CC Renewal/7 Business days---2/4/2008---2/14/2008 (took 8 business days)
    $35/5 Business days---2/4/2008----Still waiting on poppage, today being 10th business day..In fairness, there was an issue with this order at PSA that likely held it up, but this was found and corrected on the 6th of Feb..So it's been 8 business days since then...

Hopefully yours are faster and/or right on time...I think I like review results more than the raw ones!! Especially under the new .5 system..Its very interesting to me how and why certain cards are upgraded and others are not. The more we can surmise from our group of reviews here, will help all of us in the long run in deciding what to submit and what is/is not bump worthy.

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>$60/2 Business day---2/4/2008---2/7/2008 (took 3 business days) >>

Which cards did you have on this order?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Just an update...the Marchetti is spoken for. Although I listed the Tittle, I will likely pull it since another 7 was listed at almost the exact same time and looks a little nicer than mine. I may stick it in my set for awhile, but feel free to PM or email with offers. My set is J's Football HOF Rookie Set, around #35 or so.

Jasen >>

PM sent about the Tittle
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>$60/2 Business day---2/4/2008---2/7/2008 (took 3 business days) >>

Which cards did you have on this order? >>

Just the Grange 8..Also had the Namath, but would have had to send on a different sub anyway (Tall Boy)...The Namath, I thought, was not centered well enough, but with the .5s I've been getting, it seems that the centering isn't as important as the initial PSA write up said it would be..So I may give the Namath a shot down the road...I sent in a wide variety of cards on the various subs so once I get them back i am going to measure the exact centering on ALL of the .5s and post here exactly what is cutting the mustard..Should help with deciding which cards to send in the future..

Jason
  • Options
    I know I was pulling out the stuff that was dead centered and was going to send those in. Then, based on your comments earlier, I was thinning that selection out even more based on the strength of the corners. Those are the cards I sent in. Even if they were all solid upgrade candidates, I would find it very difficult to believe they would bump every one on a sub. Although we did see a 4 for 6 bump submission, so I guess it's not entirely out of the question.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you guys able to view Collector's Showcase sets? I know there was a problem with viewing a lot of the regular sets last week, but I still can't see the CS sets.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    I've decided to let the "dust settle" before attemping any upgrades. I may take a load of them to the national so Joe can cut me a deal on pricing.

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Are you guys able to view Collector's Showcase sets? I know there was a problem with viewing a lot of the regular sets last week, but I still can't see the CS sets. >>

Same here...No CS sets..
  • Options

<< <i>I've decided to let the "dust settle" before attemping any upgrades. I may take a load of them to the national so Joe can cut me a deal on pricing.

Dave >>

Better call Joe before then to set it up. On a side note, stuff that you drop off at shows, tends to take a LOT longer to get checked in. My order took 2 weeks.
  • Options
    4 PM EST and I haven't seen any orders pop today....I don't think the graders are in, so this probably won't count as a "business day" for anyone with pending orders...

The suspense is killing me...lol

Jason
  • Options
    First HOF Rookie .5 I've seen up for auction. A 55 Len Ford PSA 8.5. We'll see what happens
    David
    55 Bowman Len Ford auction
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Boy, that sure isn't centered very well for an 8.5...Must have 4 super nice corners.

dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Interesting card. Centering is not what I'd expect but the cards are newly graded, not reviews. It will be interesting to see the hammer price but to be honest, with that centering, I'm not sure it gets much of a premium. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    As I've been seeing and saying, its not the centering that will determine what deserves a .5...It must have strong corners, they look good in the scan..I'll be a bidder, but not much higher than the average 8 price..But, that's based on the eye appeal for me. There are actually (2) Len Ford 8.5's in the POP report..Will be interesting to see where this one goes...My speculation is that most of the .5s will sell in the 33% premium range..Not half way between an 8 and a 9, but rather 1/3 of the difference. .5 Cards that are "none higher" or have very few higher will have a good chance at selling even better..

Its going to be the same as the straight grades...A nicely centered PSA 8 usually sells higher than a below average centered PSA 8..8.5's will have the same type swing.

Jason
  • Options
    A 7.5 55 John Johnson too.
    55 Bowman John Johnson PSA 7.5 auction
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Sub hasn't popped, but I have SOME GRADES SHOWING ON MY SET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1933 SPORT KINGS JIM THORPE FOOTBALL 7.5
    1935 NATIONAL CHICLE CLIFF BATTLES 7.5
    1952 BOWMAN SMALL ART DONOVAN 8.5

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>First HOF Rookie .5 I've seen up for auction. A 55 Len Ford PSA 8.5. We'll see what happens
    David
    55 Bowman Len Ford auction >>

There is also a 1955 Bowman Johnson .5 up (I believe it's a 7.5, not 8.5), sorry no link.

Jasen
  • Options
    Very nice Jason!

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice Jason! >>

Those 3 put me at 20% bumps...12 out of 60...

And again, all 3 of the cards that bumped have VERY nice corners, but not the greatest centering...

The Unitas and 1952 Lary, which are 50/50 centered did not bump. I don't know if these are the final grades though, as the sub still shows as processing. But if you look at my set, you'll see these half grades showing...

Jason
  • Options
    Scans of the latest upgrades:

imageimage

Jason
  • Options
    Wow. Nice Donovan. That Battles gives me high hopes for my Hinkle!

Congrats.

For anyone interested, I did some "research" and found some submissions that were received by PSA prior to the 2/1 cutover that were graded after the 2/1 cutover and DID receive .5 grades on the submission.

So it appears anyone with a sub there, regardless of when it was received, should get the .5 treatment.
  • Options

That Unitas was amazing. It would be quite a surprise to see it not bump. Same with Envoy's Hinkle.