Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Football HOF Rookies Thread**********************************************

Comments

• Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    More review poppage..

PSA Order Status for Submission # 4676956

LINE # CERT # CARD CARD CO. CARD # CARD NAME VARIETY GRADE
    12 11114269 1958 TOPPS 90 SONNY JURGENSEN N/A 8.5

Date Received: 02/04/2008
    Date of Grades Posted: 02/14/2008
    Date Shipped: No Date Specified

Went 1 for 12 on this one..Was my free renewal sub, thesewere all 48 Bowman and 48 Leaf with the exception of the Jurgensen...lol

Still waiting on the BIG DOG order, 13 cards including Unitas, Baugh, Sayers, etc...Right now, I'm 9/48 in bumps on these reviews..I need 3 more on the big sub to reach 20%...

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Jason - nice job. I hope my Jurgensen 8 bumps too!

Question - since that is the only card that bumped is that the only card that shows on the sub or does it say M/G for the rest?

NVM-I answered my own question.
  • Options
    Here's a scan of the Jurgensen that's bumping..

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Little bit o' both. Most of them are cards I bought from Marc (Mad) from his deal with Craig Zav, got a few more in some recent trades, both packages just happened to show up yesterday. It was like Christmas come early at the ol' Squires' house image

Thank you shoe shine Marc for the deal on some HUGE cards. I would like to officially ask if you would be my Valentine ;image >>

Joe you ARE a funny guy... if you know what I mean.

I would say yes, but I know the only reason you are asking is you want my Dutch Clark 8!
    Have shine box will travel
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!
    ------------
  • Options
    The Dutch Clark 8 in the Mile High auction just ended at $10K+ including the buyers fee...

And to think I turned one down that MOSH was selling a couple years ago at $5k....

I'll be happy just to score a PSA 7 Clark for under 2K...lol

Jason
  • Options
    Very similar, especially the centering..I think you've got a REAL good shot...

One thing I've learned thus far with the new half grades...Corners are more important than centering...Most of my 50/50 centered cards didn't bump, but the ones with the nicest corners did...

Jason
  • Options
    Based on your scan, I'm actually hopeful. image

Mine has fantastic corners, and it's 60/40 centering, so I'm hopefull that it makes the grade for a .5 bump. I don't expect a full grade bump, but .5 would more than double it's value I think. My cards should be arriving in Newport Beach tomorrow, grades hopefully by end of next week on Hinkle and end of the following week for the Jurgensen and his brothers.
  • Options
    I was looking through my cards tonight and pulled a few that I think might bump .5. What do you guys think?
    David
    imageimage
    imageimage
    It is always easier to fight for one’s principles than to live up to them-Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are some really nice cards David. Definitely worth a shot on them.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Dave,

I think your Dawson might be the top candidate from that group...My 1965 Renfro actually got a bump, and I sent in a Forest Gregg that didn't...Here are the scans for reference, maybe can help you decide...

imageimage

Based on the 8 half grade bumps I've gotten so far, the majority were cards I felt had stronger corners than centering..My 50/50 centered cards without the greatest corners have not bumped..

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>Based on the 8 half grade bumps I've gotten so far, the majority were cards I felt had stronger corners than centering..My 50/50 centered cards without the greatest corners have not bumped.. >>

I've started to notice that, which is interesting considering they were touting the importance of centering. I went through all of my cards and pulled cards that were dead centered first. Then I went and pulled out cards that would more than double in the next grade up. Finally, I louped them and looked for the strongest corners that compared favorably to the next grade up. I sent in what I thought were the best of the bunch in my more expensive cards. Hopefully I get lucky. Based on a few others results, they will at least be evaluated fairly.

By the way David I agree with the group on the Dawson, an absolute screamer from the scan. Good Luck! Of course we want to know what happens if you send them in!
  • Options
    I can't stop looking at that Sammy Baugh. I want to touch it. I think I'd trade my wife for it even on Valentine's Day. We'll see when she's 60 if she'll grade a 9 like Sammy.
  • Options
    Here is a small group i am sending in on Monday all must go at the 35 level based on smr.
    Also sending 40 or so not all hof rookies in under the $15 level most have a smr between $200 and $400

OK This getting old my hyperlinks not working i have no image button ideas help ??????
    cant even get a picture up arggggggggggggggg

• Options
    Joe, all kidding aside. It was great working with you on these deals. You are one of the most honest guys I have ever dealt with.
    Unfortunately, more and more this becoming the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks and regards also go out to Jason, Doc and Frank.

Your patience has been immensely important and I cannot to begin to thank all who have been working with me.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    Love the Blanda, Krause and L. Wilson, Marc. You are always a first-class guy to deal with.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Andy --

Thanks. Same to you and I really really like my Curtis Martin.

Marc.
    ------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    David:

My guess is that your bumbs would be the Perkins, Csonka and Dawson as the likely suspects. The diamond cut on the Gregg will hold it back. I can't see the Renfro making it unless that upper left is the result of the scan.

But then again, we're trying to judge such things from scans. Not exactly like having the real deal in your hand.

Good luck with the resubs!
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, all kidding aside. It was great working with you on these deals. You are one of the most honest guys I have ever dealt with.
    Unfortunately, more and more this becoming the exception rather than the rule.

. >>

I hear you sister. Looking forward to that Seahawk / Dolphin game man, first round is on me.

And for the record, I wasnt after your Dutch Clarke 8. Is that what you kids are calling it nowadays? Im flattered Marc, but Im a married man. image

joe
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have some good photoshops skills? We need to make a nice Football HOF RC image for our sig lines....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Anyone have a clue why my photos will not load here ?

Dont have any issue on other boards like lts for example

ANYONE have any Helpfull hints for a helpless football junkie who just wants to show some scans image
  • Options
    Not sure, are you pictures hosted on the web?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Art, are you including the [ IMG ] tags around your images?

Dave, I made a quick image in my sigline. Not the sexiest thing ever but...might spark some ideas.
  • Options
    Not too bad...Except that darn #12. I can only strive to be that high...LOL...

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Tried loading as attachments from my pc always get files to big and then from photo bucket just cant get them to show up period with a hyperlink
    Also I Don`t have a image button that shows per psa hints info.

Ideas thanks in adavance to all responding

Joe by the way if you need a new home for anymore of your old retreads just send them my way image
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have some good photoshops skills? We need to make a nice Football HOF RC image for our sig lines.... >>

Not a Photoshopper, per se, but you could use the HOF image that I'm using on my http://www.halloffamerookiecards.com website that I'm still building. It's in the upper left.

Or you can view it below:

Working hard on my HOF RC set, just waiting until I get a large enough grouping to submit, then I'll add it to the Registry along with the ones I've purchased. I'm also working on the HOF Autos, a 1948 Leaf FB set and I do have two 1977 Topps Mexican sets listed in the registry (after finally finishing a raw one) although they are both less than 10% completed.

BTW, I love reading this thread and thank you all for all of the information you share. THANK YOU! Hopefully soon, I'll build up enough inventory to be able to trade with some of you or at least have some direction of what I'll be needing to purchase. image

***Edit to correct URL***
  • Options
    David , that Perkins is a Awesome looking card. I think assuming the back of the card is clean I would think it would be a slam dunk upgrade and I also agree with the Dawson an above avg. chance of an upgrade.

I just got back my raw grades and overall I would say it might be my worst sub ever, except for one card that made everything else on the page OK in my book.

8 1 MINT 9 1964 TOPPS 92 BUCK BUCHANAN Card US

Now I'm just waiting on my last reviews.
    Jason did your last one pop yet ?

• Options

<< <i>Tried loading as attachments from my pc always get files to big and then from photo bucket just cant get them to show up period with a hyperlink
    Also I Don`t have a image button that shows per psa hints info.

Ideas thanks in adavance to all responding

Joe by the way if you need a new home for anymore of your old retreads just send them my way image >>

Sounds as if your image files are too large or aren't saved/loaded in the correct format. If you can reduce their size, you should have no problems. If you are unsure, let me know and I'll provide some links to freeware that will help you reduce them. It may sound daunting, but once you get the hang of it, its really quite simple.
  • Options

<< <i>David , that Perkins is a Awesome looking card. I think assuming the back of the card is clean I would think it would be a slam dunk upgrade and I also agree with the Dawson an above avg. chance of an upgrade.

I just got back my raw grades and overall I would say it might be my worst sub ever, except for one card that made everything else on the page OK in my book.

8 1 MINT 9 1964 TOPPS 92 BUCK BUCHANAN Card US

Now I'm just waiting on my last reviews.
    Jason did your last one pop yet ? >>

Nope, and it was the high dollar $35 per sub...Go figure...lol

I was/am hoping for today (business day 9)..

Jason
  • Options
  • Options
    OK I THINK I GOT IT imageimageimage

OK these are the 6 at $35 a crack not really the best i have but any 1 of these going up worth it ,The 40 or so under the $15 a shot price are going in with this load as i mentioned not all but many hof,ers in the $200 to $450 range
  • Options

<< <i>Not too bad...Except that darn #12. I can only strive to be that high...LOL... >>

I think you're doing quite well in your quest up the ladder. Everytime I've made a big move, you've been right there with me. When you hit #12, I'll pass the icon to you. image

Maybe later tonight, or sometime tomorrow, I'll work on watermarking some of the images so they "blend" together and see if I can't come up with something for you.

Art, glad to see you got it worked out. Some nice looking cards!
  • Options
    lOL..May be a long time until i reach #12, if ever. Only way is if 2 top dogs sell their collection, or if I hit the lottery. I've spent over 3K in the last 2 months and raised maybe .40 points. And trust me, that wont happen again anytime soon...image

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Believe me, I know the feeling!

Although I've moved from 5.38 to 5.84 in the last two months. Adding the Robustelli 6, Staubach 8, Montana 9, Webster 9, Kelly 7, Warfield 7, Marchetti 7, Nomellini and Bednarik 5's, Gregg 8, Little 8, 55 TAA PSA 7', and a few others I can't think of. Not to mention the Hinkle 7 and Matson 6. I've got a Creekmur 7 and Bradshaw 8 to add now too. Bob has been the benefactor of all my upgrades. Probably done 20 cards in the last two months. Sure is fun to update them! But for what I've spent I sure don't see much improvement lol.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    And I certainly enjoy being the benefactor of your upgrades! I am not even at 1.00 yet, but it's been a steady climb. Plus I am really enjoying watch your climb, because I now there are some more upgrades coming my way!

Skinfan, those are some beauties too!

Bob....

And no, I don't know why I am posting at 4AM! I think I have a little problem! image
  • Options
    I am posting at 7 a.m. and I know I have a problem.

------------
    BOBBY ORR
    THE BEST THERE WAS!
    ------------
  • Options
    Its 7:20 AM here in Dallas...Been up for about 20 minutes and got to "sleep in" today...Typical morning is 5 AM for me...I'm usually checking this thread by around 7 AM every day..Sometimes (dare I say it) even on my cell phone...image

So yes, I too may have a slight "problem"..lol...Hey, there are worse things I could be doing, right!!

Jason
  • Options
    Art- Those cards look great. I think you will get a few bumps. I think the Hornung has a chance at a full grade bump.image
    Good luck.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Art - that is a very sweet Graham!! I can't believe SMR is now over $1100 for a PSA 8 Graham. I'm sure glad I bought mine 3 years ago for $725 (which at the time was the most I had ever paid for a card).

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    that is a very sweet Graham!! I can't believe SMR is now over $1100 for a PSA 8 Graham

Even at that price, I still think it's an undervalued card.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    Some HOF RC's ending Sunday night, no good at links. Seller is NRPSTARTER.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnrpstarterQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0

Thanks, Bill
  • Options
    Thanks guys just finished packing them up for the trip west.
    The cards are much nicer then the scans they are not enhanced at all .

Have a few extras if anyone needs them
    Largent 8
    Yary 7
    Ford 7
    Robustelli small 6
    Trippi 4
    A real nice Battles 4 looks like a 7 but has a very tiny surface wrinkle
  • Options

<< <i>Some HOF RC's ending Sunday night, no good at links. Seller is NRPSTARTER.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZnrpstarterQQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0

Thanks, Bill >>

Here's the link
  • Options
    Art, good luck, don;t forget to let us know how it turns out for you!!

Just got my 1933 Non-bumped Grange back today, and just wanted to confirm that PSA is still using the little white stickers to explain why the card isn't bump worthy..Only time I've ever had tham NOT use the labels on a review order was a review sub I sent in on the $5 special...

Here's the Grange:

Jason
  • Options
    QB- CHARLIE CONERLY JOHN HADL
    RB- FLOYD LITTLE
    WR- BOB HAYES OTIS TAYLOR DEL SHOFNER DREW PEARSON CLIFF BRANCH MAC SPEEDIE
    OC- MICK TINGELHOFF
    OG- JERRY KRAMER DICK STANFEL RILEY MATHESON
    OT- JIM TYRER AL WISTERT

DE- L.C. GREENWOOD CLAUDE HUMPHREY JIM MARSHALL RICH JACKSON GENE BRITO
    DT- ALEX KARRAS GENE LIPSCOMB
    LB- TOMMY NOBIS CHUCK HOWLEY CHRIS HANBURGER RANDY GRADISHAR DAVE ROBINSON LEE ROY JORDAN ANDY RUSSELL
    CB- JACK BUTLER BOBBY DILLON DICK LEBEAU LEMAR PARRISH
    S- CLIFF HARRIS JOHNNY ROBINSON

Was putting together a list of the Senior candidates that I feel are truly HOF worthy...Here's what I have, position-by-position...IF, the Senior committee looks outside of the strong candidates again this year, there is going to be revolt against theose 9 members...lol

I'm fairly certain that the 5 guys they send to Canton this year to make the 2 selections will not be part of the "old school" 75 and over club like they were last year...

My top 5 for 2009:
    1-Mick Tingelhoff
    2-Tommy Nobis
    3-Chuck Howley
    4-LC Greenwood
    5-Claude Humphrey

I think Having Goldberg get the axe (rightfully so) last year will hurt the pre-1950s players...Emmitt Thomas getting in will push back the other DBs like Cliff Harris and Johnny Robinson...They really need to break the backup of LBs...With Gradishar now a Senior, IMO you've got SEVEN HOF caliber LBs out there...They need to start getting them in...Same for the DE's and WR's..Although with the backup of modern WRs, and Bob Hayes not getting the votes as a Senior finalist a couple of years ago means they will probably have to wait a few more years...

Initial voting won't even take place until June or so, but hey its never too early to start speculating...lol

Jason
  • Options
    I have a Tittle 7 and Marchetti small 7 available for sale/trade. Let me know if any of you guys are interested before I put them up on eBay. I don't know how to insert scans yet, when I try to upload they tell me the file size is too big. Any help? Thanks.
  • Options
    Just posted a bunch of stuff on the Buy/Trade board. 95% HOF RC and hopefuls all PSA graded.

I did not price them as I would like to move them, please make me a reasonable offer for what you need.

I will consider trades for cards that help my foloowing sets:
    HOF RC
    Future HOF Modern RC
    Future HOF senior RC
    1972 NFLPA (both patches and stickers)
    1977 Topps

Thanks Bill

• Options
    Anyone notice Jon's (fight4olddc) latest addition...PSA 8 1948 Leaf Bobby Layne!!! WOW...It's newly graded as well, it must have been an SGC crossover, probably from the same collection that being sold along with that Baugh 9...

I don't know where else a card that nice would come from...

Jason
  • Options

<< <i>I have a Tittle 7 and Marchetti small 7 available for sale/trade. Let me know if any of you guys are interested before I put them up on eBay. I don't know how to insert scans yet, when I try to upload they tell me the file size is too big. Any help? Thanks. >>

I think Dave is looking for a Tittle.
    I am too, but Josh is always holding his hand out for more of my rookie spending money! If you send me your photos, I can resize them for you (and post them if you like)
    rkrouse1@tampabay.rr.com

Bob...
  • Options
    Lol Bob. That's funny. image

True...but funny nonetheless.

If I hadn't just spent a couple hundred on reviews and picking up yet another upgrade, thanks again to Sasquatch, I'd be in the market for the Tittle myself but I'll have to pass for now. If it's available still in a couple months, I'd be happy to nab it.

I saw that PSA 7 Layne and it was gorgeous. I can't imagine what an 8 looks like. That has to be a pop 1 isn't it?