Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options

<< <i>WTG Bryon I wish I had something to trade, I may further down the road. Perhaps when you are near the 2k threshold. Steve >>

I wish I could take part as well, but I have no cards worth more than $200.00.

Good luck Bryon!
  • Options
    It is absolutely staggering what this card is going for in it's worst condition , I have been looking for one for my son , to put away to use for investment purposes, I saw one in a PSA 4 for about 12 K , Just a little more than I am willing to cough up right now , maybe if my baseball does OK , I will be able to scoop one up .

What is this card getting in a PSA 1 ?

I have been keeping my eye on this thread , How long do you feel it might take before you reach your goal ?

This is such an interesting and exciting task and I wish you all the luck from the Gods of cardboard .
  • Options
    I think someone on here was working on a deal for a PSA1 Mantle for around $5K.
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    Is there any such animal as 52 Topps baseball unopened packs around and if so , what do they go for ?
  • Options
    Good day,
    There is a 52 Unopened wax on E-bay, it's up to $700 but should go for thousands.
    Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you for the heads up , yea, I agree , I don't know why I can't find it , the only thing I am seeing are a bunch of those Boxes that have the " Possibility of finding a 52 ", do you have a link to that page ?
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>It is absolutely staggering what this card is going for in it's worst condition , I have been looking for one for my son , to put away to use for investment purposes, I saw one in a PSA 4 for about 12 K , Just a little more than I am willing to cough up right now , maybe if my baseball does OK , I will be able to scoop one up .

What is this card getting in a PSA 1 ?

I have been keeping my eye on this thread , How long do you feel it might take before you reach your goal ?

This is such an interesting and exciting task and I wish you all the luck from the Gods of cardboard . >>

Thanks! I don't have any time frame in mind, and there's really no way to read how long it might take. I seem to have some momentum going right now, but it may well slow down again...

About pricing on PSA 1's... A couple have gone for about $5K lately, but there were also a few last year that sold for about $2500 or less.
  • Options
    Wow , yea that's about my price range . . . tops, tops 5 grand I could spend , but it would be a fight probably and I wouldn't be able to buy nothing else for a while and I would probably have to make promises I couldn't keep and things like that .

Yea, I think you're doin real good in your progress, Man I hope some really rich collector see's and does the unimaginable , that would make some noise around the hobby !

Either way though , if you do get it done . . . It's gonna make noise though !

I mean big noise .. . loud stuff image

Rocket Man !

• Options
    There are unopened packs of 1952s out there, but there is really know way of knowing which series the cards are from.
  • Options
    BBCX has this pack of 1952 Topps for sale at $5500, but as Leiascards mentioned, how would you know what series they are from?
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Te pack opened at the national was about at 4000$ LOSS
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    My PSA 1 cost between 3 and 4k. But I have seen PSA 1's priced from $3000 to $9000! (The one priced 9k was apparantly once in a BVG 3 holder, but PSA graded it as a 1)

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    You know.....some of the high number 1952 topps cards were actually put into 1953 topps packs from what I have heard. This happened more in parts of the country that did not recieve too many of the 1952 packs.

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Tntonpms,

Here are some recent sales of PSA 1 Mantles to give you some idea of pricing:

This one sold for $5118.00 on 10/26/07. Has a pinhole at top in the cap and a scrape on the face and a few other scratches throughout:

This one sold for $4250.00 on ebay on 10/6/07. Has a couple pinholes (well disguised), a crease on the upper left quadrant portion, and a couple of other small flaws as shown.

This one sold for $3908.57 on ebay on 9/7/07. Has some washed out color and some creasing and wear in the blue areas.

I just put this one on layaway myself for $5250.00. Has the major crease from the top of the card to the bottom and a crease on the upper left quadrant portion, and some staining on the right border as shown.

Take care,

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    i'd take the ones with paper loss on the back, or pinholes over the creases any day of the week!
  • Options

Just wanted to say.... D'OH!
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wanted to say.... D'OH! >>

Guess that means you already finailized the trade, huh?

: nelson voice :

Ha-Ha! You left money on the table!

: / nelson voice :

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping he got at least that in value. We will soon find out.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

Next up... a 13-card lot of 1967 Topps, including 11 PSA 8s and two PSA 9s. Most are commons, but there are a couple high numbers and multi-player cards featuring Koufax and Killebrew. Generally, I'm a little reluctant to trade for lots like this, and it's probably not the sexiest offer I received, so to speak, but it was WAY too good a deal to pass up in terms of increasing value. Tallying up the average sales price of each card in this lot (God bless VCP), the total comes to about $320. At the time of the trade, I had the Martin's value at about $200 or maybe a bit more. (Even with the surprising and wee-bit aggravating $295 sale the other day while the cards in this trade were in transit, the Martin's average price over the last 5 auctions is about $225.) Had the '67 Topps cards' average prices totalled even $250 or so, I may have passed... but $320? Couldn't resist. I'm a little concerned about tradeability, but the '67 registry is very active, and, with these, I'm not necessarily as intent on gaining value as I am with consolidating the bulk of their value into something with a wider appeal... So, hopefully I'll be able to get a deal together without too much trouble.

Anyway, more explanation than needed, probably. A big thanks to vintagejeff on that deal.

An overview scan of the lot is below, but scans of the individual cards, front and back, are available through this Photobucket link. The lot includes the following cards (all are PSA 8 except where noted): 101 Ken Johnson PSA 9, 212 Chris Zachary, 224 Walt Bond, 227 Paul Lindblad, 238 NL K LDRS (Koufax, Bunning, Veale), 247 Jerry Lumpe, 260 Jim Lefebvre, 261 John Wyatt PSA 9, 276 Bruce Brubaker, 334 Twin Terrors (Allison, Killebrew), 512 Red Schoendienst, 588 Johnny Klippstein and 608 Cubs Rookies (Nye, Upham).

Anyone intererested in the '67 lot can send me a PM or email at elemenopeo@gmail.com

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Good luck. This one looks like a tough move... unless there's a set collector who needs this lot.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    nice cards, but i think its going to be a tough sell.
  • Options
    Bryon nice trade, good luck on the nxt one.
    Nice looking lot of cards.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Yea I don't really like that trade either, but it may pan out well for you. Good Luck
  • Options
    Bryon any of those cards considered low pop? or mid range low pop?

Also, and this is just a question, do you feel lots are harder to trade off? Or are you still in infancy here and have yet to seeif it is or isn't?

In any event, good luck.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Fleer basketball lot moved along pretty quick if memory serves.
  • Options
    Yeah, I do suspect this will be tougher to move than much of the other stuff I've had up previously, but, like I said, I think the bump in value is worth the increased difficulty level. It WOULD be great if I was able to make a deal for this lot as quickly as I did the '88 Fleer basketball lot, but that was a smaller lot and with bigger names.

We'll see.

...and, no, there's nothing in the lot that seems to be of very low population... the closest thing would probably be the #101 Ken Johnson PSA 9 which has a pop of 18.
  • Options
    That's a beautiful lot of cards! Anyone wanting to start the set or add to their set is going to have a great addition to their set with these.

You've limited your potential trading partners, but if/when you find the trading partner, these should do very well. Good luck! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice lot of 67s Byron!

Good luck on finding a set collector or someone who has a single that looks good.

Very entertaining thread.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Fleer basketball lot moved along pretty quick if memory serves. >>

That lot was Superstars and rookies, this lot is commons. I would think 67 stars would move easier than commons, as far as this project is concerned, even it they were midgrade.
  • Options
    This will be a REAL tough sell.
    Heck, even Levi has the Bond in PSA 8 gathering dust in his store at 15.00.
    NEVER trade quality for quantity....
  • Options
    tunahead08tunahead08 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I think he'll do alright. Everyone thought the Clemens was a bad trade too, but it turned out pretty well. I think this will take a little bit more time to upgrade, but I think as these deals go up in value they will all take a little longer.

Good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>NEVER trade quality for quantity.... >>

That must be the beer talkin'. You know, I almost took a deal of NINE cards for just the one Martin card (they were from the 1915 Cracker Jack set or some such), and I was so ready to take it, but then the offer of 13 cards came in and I was all like "ch-ching!"
  • Options
    1915 cracker jacks...I woulda been on it like a ho(r)-net
  • Options

Ted! I made up the Cracker Jack thing... just a stab at some humor. I was trying to make the point that my interest in the '67 Topps lot had zero to do with the 'quantity' of cards. I may not be the sharpest crayon in the shed, but I've still got a few marbles rolling around the attic. image

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Why didn't you just trade the Martin for a 52 Topps Mantle?
  • Options
    i'd love to start a 1967 set but i'm not able to take on the $ responsibility of said set right now. good luck with these. if you want to break them up into singles i'll take the Red

White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options

<< <i>Why didn't you just trade the Martin for a 52 Topps Mantle? >>

Of course he would need to take his time machine back to 1952 to pull of such a trade.
  • Options
    There are a couple low pop toughies in the mix the Schoendienst for one. Here are some whole scans of most of the cards.

Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    #101 is pop 18 with 3 higher
    #212 is pop 146 with 26 higher
    #224 is pop 130 with 42 higher
    #227 is pop 78 with 14 higher
    #238 is pop 338 with 32 higher
    #247 is pop 75 with 16 higher
    #260 is pop 77 with 21 higher
    #261 is pop 43 with none higher
    #334 is pop 116 with 24 higher
    #512 is pop 79 with 9 higher
    #588 is pop 78 with 19 higher
    #608 is pop 102 with 14 higher

Thats all I have handy but gives ya an idea a good quality starter set.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Nice centering on those cards.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Your patience will pay off on these. They're sharp cards.

Wishing you well on your next trade!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Nice centering on those cards.

Steve >>

Yeah I am really anal about centering on cards.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Hey Bryon....what's the latest? How has the interest been with the lot of '57's?
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Bryon....what's the latest? How has the interest been with the lot of '57's? >>

You mean '67s, of course. Nothing to report yet. Keeping the faith, though. image
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    You haven't got the 52 Mantle yet? What's taking so long?
  • Options
    ttt someone trade for these awesome 67's don't make me a thread killer!
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    You'll have to trade for them VintageJeff to keep the dream alive or maybe Elemenopeo will have to start taking offers outside of trading cards.
  • Options
    You'll have to trade for them VintageJeff to keep the dream alive or maybe Elemenopeo will have to start taking offers outside of trading cards.
  • Options
    ttt let's get it on!
  • Options