Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Boooooooooooooooooo @ the negativity. Guys, how would you like it if someone pi$$ed on your parade, enough already image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>That may be possible (hitting up the reg guys) but what would they have that would further this goal? I really would not have done this (apart from being a Clemens), esp. trading with a fanatic like jmbkb who tends to overhype this set. Good luck, I hope you get a nice charity trade next. >>

You must really be a retard. Go get a life and build some more raw sets.

I'll let my eBay and off-eBay sales, the set's long-term popularity/historical importance, and the 27 current entries on the PSA Registry do all the "hyping" for me.

Let the OP sell the Clemens 9 on eBay for $160-200 and then buy a high-grade PSA 6 '68 Mantle with part of the sale. If, at any point, Bryon wants to "un-do" our trade, I'll **happily** oblige.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Whoa!! JM that was really uncalled for. People are allowed opinions. Not every trade is going to get a wow you did great!!

IMO the trade was fair. Value wise the Clemens is prolly worth more and that is what Bryon is looking for, however many would think it is not more liquidable then the Mantle.

Bryon a couple of guys on that registry need that card. You may want to email them? Again good luck.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I originally though thought Josh took advantage of the situation, no recent sale son ebay, steroid issues, image but still a tough hi end high grade card, and a move up in value.....but now

Thou Dost protest too much?
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Y'all shouldn't take this stuff so seriously. image I'll admit that I may not have made things very easy for myself with the trade for the Clemens, but even though I gave up ground in trade-ability, I do think the bump in dollar-value is there despite the Mitchell report. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't work out very well, that's still Kool and the Gang. Like I said before, I'm doing this for the fun of it. And getting my hands on a '52 Mantle would be nice, too. It's not to prove my trading savviness, which, as I'm sure others would agree, is sometimes suspect. Also, I don't have any problem at all with folks coming on this thread and letting me know if they think I've stumbled with any trade or otherwise voicing their opinion. I'm just happy to see that folks are interested.... and it helps keep the thread toward the top.

Thanks, all.

(By the way, the Clemens is still available. Drop me a PM with any offers.) image
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm...

Good luck moving this Clemens. Why did you trade the Mantle for it?

• Options
    I'm sure there are more people than those on the Registry who want the card. Another board member pointed out that there only two other people on the Registry that need the card and their set progress is in the 20-30% range.

Bryon, is eBay an option? Or you're sticking 100% trades?

Edited for grammatical errors.

-------------------------
    Alan W. Bailey II
    Beginner Collector
    Formerly knowns as "Teknobailey"

Collecting:
    - 1949 Bowman PSA 7+
    - Manny Ramirez Rookies in PSA 10
    - 1979 Topps PSA 8
    - Any raw Game-used Red Sox card (especially Red Sox A&G Jersey cards)
    - Graded Red Sox rookies (in a Red Sox uniform)

My Manny Ramirez Cards 14 Cards – Ten PSA 10’s – Seven Rookies
    My 1949 Bowman Set 27.50% complete (66 of 240 Cards) – 5.21 GPA
    My 1979 Topps Set 2.62% complete (19 of 726 Cards) – 8.00 GPA

Successful transactions (between both screen names) with: Late1970sTopps, Cwazzy, Guru, clayshooter22, lanemyer85, ArnyVee, vintagetoppsguy, mdkuom and Lawnmowerman.
  • Options
    "Bryon, is eBay an option? Or you're sticking 100% trades?"

Yeah, I think eBay might be a good option for the next round...depending on offers of course. I would then perhaps take the funds and split it into two or three cards.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Before the scandal, this Clemens card would've been a big item, IMO. image

I think that you're probably going to have to take a step back with a trade on this one or go the eBay route as well.

Have you gone on the Clemens PSA registry sets (I'm assuming there are sets and collectors collecting them image ) to see if anyone needs the card?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Bryon, did you check out VCP on the Clemens? What have the last few sold for? I noticed an ungraded horribly offcentered one went for $69 on the bay this past week...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>Bryon, did you check out VCP on the Clemens? What have the last few sold for? I noticed an ungraded horribly offcentered one went for $69 on the bay this past week... >>

VCP does not list the 1993 Finest set... the V stands for Vintage. Although they do list up to 1989 so, as is often the case, "vintage" is a relative term.

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Bryon, did you check out VCP on the Clemens? What have the last few sold for? I noticed an ungraded horribly offcentered one went for $69 on the bay this past week... >>

VCP does not list the 1993 Finest set... the V stands for Vintage. Although they do list up to 1989 so, as is often the case, "vintage" is a relative term.

Snorto~ >>

Thanks for the info. Haven't joined VCP yet, so wasn't sure what they listed...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>Bryon, is eBay an option? Or you're sticking 100% trades? >>

I don't consider eBay an option. Really, I'm not considering any changes to the format here at all just because I haven't been able to move the Clemens immediately or because it might be difficult. This is not all that unusual. Even though I've been able to reach the last two or three trade deals pretty quickly, it took an entire month, for instance, to strike a deal for the '85 Topps Marino sticker. I put the Clemens up for trade all of three days ago, and I've barely even begun to shop it around.

• Options

<< <i>Whoa!! JM that was really uncalled for. People are allowed opinions. Not every trade is going to get a wow you did great!!

IMO the trade was fair. Value wise the Clemens is prolly worth more and that is what Bryon is looking for, however many would think it is not more liquidable then the Mantle.

Bryon a couple of guys on that registry need that card. You may want to email them? Again good luck.

Steve >>

God Steve, you are really one to talk about "uncalled for." Only you would defend some douche who calls into question my integrity regarding on the trade and trying to "hype" my cards.

Give your wife the tip tonight, OK?
  • Options

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Werent these two guys the ones telling me to take everything so personal?

Guys.. it's Bryon's trade deal. And it "technically" wasnt a bad one considering the values of both cards.

Let's just let it be?

Alan W. Bailey II
    Beginner Collector

Collecting:
    - 1949 Bowman PSA 7+
    - 1979 Topps PSA 8

Successful transactions (between both screen names) with: Late1970sTopps, Cwazzy, Guru, clayshooter22, lanemyer85, ArnyVee, vintagetoppsguy, mdkuom and Lawnmowerman.
  • Options
    Better to ignore idiots.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Where are the trade offers?

keep checking back and nothing but bickering...

Respect the thread !!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    IMO, Bryon's got two of the coolest, most enjoyable threads on this board (the other being the 2006 A&G TTM thread). I think everyone enjoys the updates on both, and the fact that up until now there hasn't been any drama associated with either one. It'd be nice if personal animosity could be kept out.
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, Bryon's got two of the coolest, most enjoyable threads on this board (the other being the 2006 A&G TTM thread). I think everyone enjoys the updates on both, and the fact that up until now there hasn't been any drama associated with either one. It'd be nice if personal animosity could be kept out. >>

Just kidding, of course. IMO, Geordie has very, very recently become one of the coolest, most enjoyable contributors to these boards. image

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Suggestion:

If the trade-sources remain anonymous, there will be room to
    critique the trades without anybody getting pist.

Keep moving forward.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>Suggestion:

If the trade-sources remain anonymous, there will be room to
    critique the trades without anybody getting pist.

Keep moving forward. >>

Alan W. Bailey II
    Beginner Collector

Collecting:
    - 1949 Bowman PSA 7+
    - 1979 Topps PSA 8

• Options

<< <i>(the other being the 2006 A&G TTM thread). >>

Speaking of, you need to update that thread.

Chop-chop.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>How about I give it to your mother?

Steve Clark is not a douche, but some may say that you are.

Steve >>

God, you're such an idiot. Why don't you add some more acronyms to your posts.

IHYDARIH

• Options

<< <i>IHYDARIH >>

Not your best moment
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>

Chop-chop.

image >>

I just updated that yesterday!! Where were you?
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IHYDARIH could stand for: I hate you douche and rot in hell
  • Options

<< <i>IHYDARIH could stand for: I hate you douche and rot in hell >>

Or

"Incredible Hits? Yastrzemski did alot, resides in HOF"

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Chop-chop.

image >>

I just updated that yesterday!! Where were you? >>

Oops, sorry.

I was too busy getting my groove on.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    The Mantle had an exceptionally wide appeal...I'm surprised you weren't more patient.
    Even as a big fan of 'The Rocket', my interest is no more than a shrug of the shoulders.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

I do appreciate everyone's input on the Mantle-Clemens deal. It IS interesting to me how these deals are perceived and if folks think I've screwed up or not.

To update... I've accepted an offer for the Clemens. image

I'll get the new card up ASAP.
  • Options

<< <i>To update... I've accepted an offer for the Clemens. image

I'll get the new card up ASAP. >>

That sure didn't take long! Can't wait to see the next card!
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Not to get in the way of a pissing contest but shouldn't that Clemens been sent in for a bump to a 9.5? image
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    Just because the vintage Mick was traded away for the modern Clemens doesn't make it a bad deal. it's about the money - a psa 5 Mick is about a $100 card on the high side. I personally am not sure about the refractor but according to the board member who knows refractors very well the Clemens is a $150ish card. so Mick or no Mick dollar wise it was a good trade - if the Clemens is truly worth the $150 range
  • Options
    Calguy I agree, I said that from the beginning too. Bryon I am glad you were able to move up. Also, the OP has shown that he does not care if his trades are critiqued, I mean what fun would this be if all anyone said here was, great deal you ! You really got did well . Or things like that. I think he wants all of his trades to be spoken about like the way they are percieved. Again good job on moving that Clemens.

The 68 Mantle in 5 is more like a 125 card on the high side. And cards with nice centering and eye appeal usually get that.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. It's all about the money and whether or not he can upgrade.

Shane

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I mean what fun would this be if all anyone said here was, great deal you !

They wouldn't! They would say it was a charity trade! Now let's get moving up sp I can play!
  • Options

<< <i>Calguy I agree, I said that from the beginning too. Bryon I am glad you were able to move up. Also, the OP has shown that he does not care if his trades are critiqued, I mean what fun would this be if all anyone said here was, great deal you ! You really got did well . Or things like that. I think he wants all of his trades to be spoken about like the way they are percieved. Again good job on moving that Clemens.
    Steve >>

YAWN!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I do appreciate everyone's input on the Mantle-Clemens deal. It IS interesting to me how these deals are perceived and if folks think I've screwed up or not.

To update... I've accepted an offer for the Clemens. image

I'll get the new card up ASAP. >>

Maybe the douches on here who doubted the trade will shut their idiotic mouths now. Newflash, dumbasses: MODERN CARDS ALSO SELL FOR BIG BUCKS, ESPECIALLY 1993 REFRACTORS. This has been shown hundreds of times on here and elsewhere.

Of course I wouldn't take advantage of anyone on these boards and hurt a nice trade progression. If you take the BEST CASE that the Mantle would sell for (no more than $125) and the WORST CASE that the Clemens would sell for ($150), he's still making about 20% on the trade.

I had no worries. I recently (last 2 weeks) sold a Clemens PSA 9 '93 Refractor for $180 delivered.

Now, please -- enough with the modern vs. vintage idiocy and on towards the path for Bryon to get a '52 Mantle. I've clearly done my part.

Perhaps "buccaner" and "winpitcher" can offer something good (Just once) and quit being so negative.

• Options

<< <i>Calguy I agree, I said that from the beginning too. Bryon I am glad you were able to move up. Also, the OP has shown that he does not care if his trades are critiqued, I mean what fun would this be if all anyone said here was, great deal you ! You really got did well . Or things like that. I think he wants all of his trades to be spoken about like the way they are percieved. Again good job on moving that Clemens.

The 68 Mantle in 5 is more like a 125 card on the high side. And cards with nice centering and eye appeal usually get that.

Steve >>

Steve's still beating the same old drum. Sorry Steve, you were WRONG -- and you should be used to it by now. You really shouldn't critique a trade you obviously know nothing about.

Edited to add: Hey Steve, a PSA 6 '68 Mantle sold a few minutes ago for $117! So your numbers on the Mantle 5 were obviously "hyped up" in an attempt to make me look like I took advantage of Bryon.

image But nice try.
  • Options

O ye of little faith. image

I damn near busted my keyboard jumping all over this deal... the Clemens for a 1952 Topps Billy Martin PSA 6. Seems an obvious step forward to me. VCP shows the last five eBay sales for the Martin in PSA 6 averaging $207. (SMR, for what it's worth, is $275.) The person I traded with asked to remain anonymous, and I have no problem with that. So, a big thanks to Mr. You-Know-Who-You-Are. Gotta say I'm excited to put this one on the block... Interesting, too, that this is the fourth Yankees-related card in a row that I've traded for and the fifth overall.

imageimage

Any offers for the Martin can be made via PM or email at elemenopeo@gmail.com
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice card,glad to see this working so far
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Nice job again Bryon......that is a nice looking Martin.
  • Options
    nice upgraded.
    get that martin a 1/2 point bump! image and you can really upgrade
  • Options
    PM Sent
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Good trade.

Don't waste time/money looking for the .5 bump.

Just trade up.

If you have not done so, read everything you can find on the
    "red paper clip" story. You will find tips for success.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    samspopsamspop Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭
    Great job Byron!!

I met Byron at a show in Charlotte a week ago. He is definitely one of the good guys in the hobby. You can tell he really is enjoying this entire challenge and I wish him the best of luck!!
  • Options

It was great meeting Mike, too. It's a bit weird, though... that little bug follows him everywhere.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amazing, Bryon!

By the way, that bug avatar is the best one on the boards!

Shane

• Options
    Jm do you really want to keep this flame going? If so you know me I have no problem with that.

First off I never said that the Clemens was not worth more then the Mantle.

What I did say:

68 Mantle for a 93 Clemens? hmmmmmm. (please no one be offended) I do not want a pissing match here.

It may have more of a value to some, but IMO that Mantle was more liquidable.

However your quest is not for a 68 Mantle it's for a 52. Good luck on your next trade.
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Now if you want to talk about your integrity or lack thereof, (which seems to be the central issue you have) I remember your ebay sale (s) in which you were selling cards that were returned from PSA as being to small or evidence of trimming and in your ebay description you made the claim that they would grade or some crap. I also remember the bruhaha that resulted here regarding that. So please don't ever say that you have never tried to get over on people BECAUSE YOU HAVE. Now with that said why you felt the need to continue, and bash me when from the beginning I never said your trade here was bad one. I only said that calling Steve Clark a name was uncalled for.

Again the ball is in your court you can either let it go or continue. If you persist then this nice thread will go to the crapper.

The forum will see where this goes.

Steve

Good for you.