Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    SPAM!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    That sticker is so bright, it's glowing! From the scan, it actually looks like flames coming off the top of it. Excellent piece!
  • Options
    Remember that song "My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" ????

Seriously... I need shades looking at that thing! Impressive!

GOod luck to you Byron! THis is awesome!

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>GOod luck to you Byron! THis is awesome! >>

Thanks, man. You've been making the same mistake stwon did, though. image It's spelled Bryon... r before the y... a lifelong curse given to me by my father.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I agree. Brilliant trade. The Marino will give you a bigger audience at the same pricepoint.
  • Options
    I'd like to offer a NM/MT 1986 Topps Alan Knicely.
  • Options
    Cool thread, trades are already out of my range but good luck!
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to offer a NM/MT 1986 Topps Alan Knicely. >>

Ha! I'm just glad you're not offering to dip anything in it. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>GOod luck to you Byron! THis is awesome! >>

Thanks, man. You've been making the same mistake stwon did, though. image It's spelled Bryon... r before the y... a lifelong curse given to me by my father. >>

Oops! Sorry Bryon!

Good luck with the next trade man!!

• Options
    What's the word on the next trade?

Let's keep this thing going!

• Options

<< <i>What's the word on the next trade?

Let's keep this thing going! >>

Well, the offers haven't exactly been pouring in for the Marino, but I'm not too concerned. I figured they're not all going to move right away, especially as the price tags grow. Heck, it took almost two weeks to get the Drake's Lockman out the door.
  • Options
    first time i have read through some of this thread. good luck and great idea!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    Hey, is a 1993 CLASSIC FOUR SPORT "ACETATES" #9 Alex Rodrigues BCCG 10 worth anything? It's just lying around...

If it's a similar value, I'll trade it for Marino.

• Options

Alan -- Thanks for the offer. PM sent.

And, by the way, as a general note to all gentle readers, I always prefer to receive offers via PM or email, but I'll take 'em any way I can get 'em. I'll always respond privately, though, whether the answer is yes, no or something in between.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    I have been a few trades behind on this thread, but I am really enjoying it. Good Luck!
  • Options
    Bumpity bump bump...

How's everythiong going with this Bryon?

• Options

<< <i>How's everythiong going with this Bryon? >>

I received a very interesting offer a couple days ago, but I'm waiting to see where a couple current eBay auctions for items similar to the one offered end up. Fortunately, the person who made the offer is being very patient.

• Options
    Glad to hear it man!

I really hope you get it!
  • Options
  • Options

Unfortunately and much to my disappointment, I had to turn down the latest offer for the Marino sticker. The numbers just didn't add up to a solid step forward. So, I have to try to generate a few more offers. I'm hoping an ad in the next SMR will help. Here's a sneak preview...

A little blurb happy, but I suppose it's OK. As a disclaimer, the quotes from CDsNuts and Stone193 are completely fabricated.

And I know some will jump to the conclusion that I have way too much time on my hands, but this is really more a case of creative procrastination.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I may have to subscribe just for that advertisement.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    You sir, are funny.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You sir, are funny. >>

Look who's throwin' stones...

Your pretty funny yourself Lee image
  • Options
    Dude! I'm in it! Sweet! I'm like famous or something.....

Thanks for the quote Bryon!!

p.s. Still need your shipping address for that Alan Knicely card!

• Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    It's nice to see my handle in the SMR again... image
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    That was great! image
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who's gonna break the news to Teknobailey that it was a spoof SMR article, and he really isnt in it? image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Who's gonna break the news to Teknobailey that it was a spoof SMR article, and he really isnt in it? image >>

• Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Lee,

You've got hieroglyphics licked, now you just need to work on the braille version.

Bryon, I would advise you to stay clear of a certain person's jewels if you want to make it all the way to a Mantle. Can be a deal breaker.
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    HAHAHA... I know I'm not really in it guys... it was meant to be funny...

like... haha.. I'm famous... but not really, lol.

• Options
    You're famous to us Alan.
  • Options

<< <i>p.s. Still need your shipping address for that Alan Knicely card! >>

There's no way in H-E-double-toothpicks you're getting my address to send me an Alan Knicely card.
  • Options
    I think it's funny that you had no problem unloading a card of an obscure Cowboys' rookie, but you can't find a taker for a PSA 10 second year sticker of one of the most collected players on earth.
  • Options
    Im sure its not that he cant find a taker. It's the fact that he needs to get more in return that makes the task a little more daunting. Trading a $4 card for an $8 card is no big deal, but when you have an $80 card, and you need to get a card worth $100+ for it, the willing participants to thin out a little. Im all for his attempt, and it's cool to watch it unfold, but I can see people thinking "why should I take a $20+ loss just so he can move up another rung."
  • Options
    Well nam, why don't you make him an offer you cheap basstard.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    If you are only getting offers from these boards.. I doubt you will get very far... If you could have a bigger trading pool I really think this could happen for you. An Ad probably wouldnt be such a bad idea..
  • Options

<< <i>make him an offer you cheap basstard. >>

You answered your own question. I have a $10 bill that says Happy 8th birthday from Aunt Fran.
  • Options
    Roger's got a point. Afterall, the end result will be you trading a common for a 52 Topps Mantle. Except for the cost of shipping, you could give yourself an advertising budget to help get you there a little faster.

Lee
  • Options

<< <i>Im sure its not that he cant find a taker. It's the fact that he needs to get more in return that makes the task a little more daunting. Trading a $4 card for an $8 card is no big deal, but when you have an $80 card, and you need to get a card worth $100+ for it, the willing participants to thin out a little. Im all for his attempt, and it's cool to watch it unfold, but I can see people thinking "why should I take a $20+ loss just so he can move up another rung." >>

I think that's pretty accurate, though I want to clarify that I'm looking for something pretty firmly $90+... or possibly something equally valuable to the Marino sticker, but, as hard as it is to imagine, it would have to be considerably more cool. And, really, I absolutely expect things generally to move more slowly and to have to be more proactive the further I get. That's fine. I'm not on a schedule and I'm just having fun. Putting the 'ad' together, for example, was a great diversion from the daily routine.

I have been listing the cards for trade on a couple other boards, but haven't had near the reponse I've gotten from this one... and that's also as expected. I kind of doubt that I'll ever actually pay for some kind of real ad, but I do anticipate having to get more creative in my approach... Does Aunt Fran collect, by the way?
  • Options
    How about a youtube video? Ads on craigslist? Can't beat free advertising.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Youtube video is a great idea. You can have a new video each time you have a new card available...

I made a silly youtube video and thought maybe 500 people would see it in 10 yrs and it got over 13,000 views..

• Options

<< <i>I made a silly youtube video and thought maybe 500 people would see it in 10 yrs and it got over 13,000 views.. >>

OK, c'mon. You've gotta post a link when you say something like that. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Clever add image

: in a sarcastic tone :

The karmagods didn't appreciate the previous spam and making you suffer.

But seriously, hurry up and make the trade. My balls are collecting dust..

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I am a little slow I guess. I really thought it was a real ad.
  • Options

<< <i>You're famous to us Alan. >>

I can feel the love..... image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>p.s. Still need your shipping address for that Alan Knicely card! >>

There's no way in H-E-double-toothpicks you're getting my address to send me an Alan Knicely card. >>

I know man! HAHA

Check out my "live case break" thread.... I dedicated the Knicely card to you! HAHA!!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Any updates?
  • Options
    Yeah, you still have that gleaming Marino on the block?

We cant just let this get buried.....
  • Options

I did get a promising inquiry about the 1985 Topps Stickers Dan Marino PSA 10 the other day from another board member, but haven't heard back from him in a couple days. I haven't seen any posts by him since then, either... So, I'm hoping that this is just a case of him being unavoidably detained rather than him having lost interest or him twiddling his thumbs. It does seem highly unlikely that he would intentionally risk losing out on the card (sticker... whatever) to any impossible-to-refuse or at least terribly interesting offers that may come along (via PM or email at elemenopeo@gmail.com) in the meantime.

And, just in case I haven't posted one already, here's a scan of what exactly is at stake here. Getcha sunglasses ready...

imageimage

• Options
    I was thinking you could advertise to a few guys on the registry, but there's only one 1985 Topps Stickers set registered and he's already got a Marino. He doesnt have an e-mail link to contact him anyways.

I tried!