Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>I was thinking you could advertise to a few guys on the registry, but there's only one 1985 Topps Stickers set registered and he's already got a Marino. He doesnt have an e-mail link to contact him anyways.

I tried! >>

Have you tried the Marino collectors on the registry? Good idea, Alan!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    Bryon, have you considered this?

I just looked at the Marino master Set on the registry, and there's a lot of guys that could use that card. I dont know how many are on the forums though. Although, you could do the trade 100% on e-mail.....

• Options
    Bryon--PM sent. May have something that might interest you.

Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Dear Elemenopeo,

I truly hope you make it to the Mantle. Like I said before, the most interesting trade will be the one that gets you the Mantle. For those on the board who have a 1952 Topps Mantle, think about it, what would you want that you would be willing to trade your Mantle? I have a hard time believing it is another baseball/sports related card.

So what may it be? A car? Super Bowl Tickets? All expenses paid vacation to ... ? Professional services? I have no idea, but to those who have a Mantle, please feel free to respond. Thanks.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

Thanks for the good ideas, guys.

Paul -- PM sent.
  • Options
    Is there any new news?
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>Is there any new news? >>

I've been a bit out of sorts lately and have let a few things fall by the wayside, including this project... I haven't been pursuing it very aggressively. I've had two or three tempting offers for the Marino to date, but none that I felt put me solidly ahead.

Hopefully, I'll get my head on straight again sometime soon and get back to this with a bit more oomph.

• Options

Hey, hey! Finally struck a deal for the Marino sticker. It's been a cool little item to own for a while, but I'm soooo looking forward to putting something new out on the block... hopefully, by the end of this week. So long, Dan-O!

• Options
    Considering you started with the Alan Nicely and you're up past the Marino, no matter what this has been a success.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

• Options
    Picked up these five cards from the 1988 Fleer basketball set in exchange for the Marino.... Michael Jordan (Woohoo!) and the rookie cards of Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, John Stockton and Reggie Miller, all PSA 9. Pretty much broke the one-item-for-one-item rule with this one, but it is a fairly cohesive group in that they are all key cards from the same set... and I would like to trade them as a group. If I'm unable to do that in a certain amount of time, I may try trading them individually and start separate trading branches for a while... as some folks have suggested. But my inclination is to keep things simple. These cards come courtesy of new board member steviedoobie... who's had a bumpy first week here, but our transaction could not have gone more smoothly or quickly. Thanks, Steve.

And as a side note, onlyanumber's offer of the 1936 S&S Game Richard Ferrell PSA 9 was really a tough one to pass on. That beauty has an SMR of $200, but VCP shows the last 4 sales averaging about $65. Man, did I want to take that one, but the math just wasn't there. So, a thank you to Paul and a couple other folks out there who made similarly tempting offers.

As for the '88 Fleers, the group has a solid sales history in the $80+ range collectively... not quite the value jump over the Marino I was hoping for, but still a step forward.... and I liked the idea of venturing into basketball for a bit .... and it was just time to move on.

As usual, anyone with a trade offer for these can drop me a PM or email at elemenopeo@gmail.com.

And for anyone who cares to see the backs of the cards, here's a link.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    I really like those cards. I may have to make an offer.
  • Options
    Yeah, it was a bumpy start but I brought most of it on myself. Thanks for the smooth trade, I really hope you make it to the Mantle Card. Gonna write a book like the redpaperclip guy when you get that PSA 7 Mantle.....okay maybe PSA 1 Mantle?
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    i like the redpaper clip guy pic standing on stage with alice cooper holding a giant red paperclip image that is a very cool story to read if u guys havnt read it
  • Options

Wow. I've already struck a deal for the '88 Fleers. Surprisingly to me, these cards generated more inquiries and offers than any other item I've put out there to date and all within 24 hours of the initial post. One offer was just too good to pass up. I'll probably have the new item up in about a week.

Many thanks to all who made offers.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'm not surprised you made a deal for those. That's a *great* looking lot. Well done!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, it was a bumpy start but I brought most of it on myself. >>

it's all good, glad you get finally get rid of that Marino!
  • Options
    This is possibly my favorite thread on the boards. Congrats on your success so far. That was a great lot of bball cards, I am not suprised they went fast.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I love the Rodman and Miller cards. They're both lining up to take a free throw...one who's among the all-time best free throw shooters, and one who's among the all-time worst.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    So, what's the latest?
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>So, what's the latest? >>

Well, it looks like I'll have to wait until after the New Year to put the new item up... With the mail being a little slower than usual this week, I've not received it yet, and I'm leaving town for the holidays tomorrow morning, probably well before the mailman comes. Alas. But, come to think of it, that'll probably be better time to try to make a deal, anyway.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

You didn't answer the above question. What did you get for the trade???
  • Options

<< <i>You didn't answer the above question. What did you get for the trade??? >>

As a rule, I don't post what the new card/item is until I actually have it in hand and the person I traded with has theirs and I'm sure everything is satisfactory both ways. It's just to avoid any confusion if something were to go wrong.

Like I said, it'll probably be here waiting for me when I get back from our holiday trek on the 1st. And I'll probably have it have it scannned and posted before I've even unloaded the car. image

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    I just started reading your thread.

Over time, your going to get a lot of long-term followers--You can add me in.

Best of luck!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    If you get in touch with this guy, you might get your 52 Topps Mantle sooner rather than later!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-TOPPS-311-MICKEY-MANTLE-RC-ROOKIE-CARD_W0QQitemZ200185816699QQihZ010QQcategoryZ73435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you get in touch with this guy, you might get your 52 Topps Mantle sooner rather than later!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-TOPPS-311-MICKEY-MANTLE-RC-ROOKIE-CARD_W0QQitemZ200185816699QQihZ010QQcategoryZ73435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem >>

I love the Mantle seller's last neg:

This person is a thief. He sells fakes and is not willing to refund or resolve. fourgirlsoneson ( 69) Dec-09-07 15:50
    Reply by wearingitagain (Dec-09-07 23:00): I offered him a ref. he didnt complete process, I believed it was real.

• Options
    Hey Bryon, what's the update?

• Options
    scan

scan

scan

!!!!
  • Options

Here's the new guy... a 1994 Flair Alex Rodriguez RC PSA 10, picked up from Rogermnj in exchange for the '88 Fleer basketball lot. (I couldn't talk him into coughing up the 1990 Topps George Bush. image) A couple weeks back or so, when we made the trade, the card was selling consistently over $100, but, as my luck would have it, it's been selling in the $80s the last few sales this past week. I suppose that may have to do with the holidays... maybe not. Still pretty happy with this deal, in any case. Thanks, Roger!

If anyone has an offer for the A-Rod, drop me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com

imageimage

• Options
    Bryon,

I've tried PM'ing you three times and, for some reason, it wont bring up the pop-up to type the message... likely a problem with my PC.

I have an offer for you. Can you try sending me a PM please?

Thank you and happy new year.

• Options

OnlyThe10s -- I just sent you a PM, but if it's still not working, you can reach me via email at elemenopeo@gmail.com
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pm sent
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    PM sent. Great trade for ya.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I dont think you will have a problem getting trades for your cards, but it might be hard to get an item to trade for a 52 mantle. I have seen the paperclip story and have thought about doing something similar. Good luck to you!

Ankur
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>I dont think you will have a problem getting trades for your cards, but it might be hard to get an item to trade for a 52 mantle. I have seen the paperclip story and have thought about doing something similar. Good luck to you!

Ankur >>

well paperclip dude got a HOUSE....but of course the value of the house is that of a PSa 1 Mantle
  • Options
    "well paperclip dude got a HOUSE....but of course the value of the house is that of a PSa 1 Mantle"

A PSA 1 1952 Topps Mantle will run approx $5 to $10k. A small house will cost anywhere from $100 to $500k. Hm....not even close!

Edit: also, I believe these trades can only occur cards for cards correct? The paperclip guy traded ANYTHING! He got very lucky with what Gene Simmons offered him. That is what helped big time.

With that said: would Elemenopeo take things besides cards in trade?

Ankur
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options
    Of course Bryon can speak for himself, but He's only taking cards for cards.

And would a PSA 1 52T Mantle really pull $5,000.00???? (pardon my ignorance)

• Options
    ok well a bit less

Latest Auction Prices for: PSA 1 - Last 5 Sales Average Price: $3,574.11

last one sold at Mastro for $5,148 (juice included)
  • Options
    Incredible.

Thanks for the info RipublicaninMass.

For thos who have Comcast, there is (or at least was, a couple weeks ago) a documentary on the Mick. It was actually quite good.

One of his most profound statements was, "If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself" (because of the disease that his ancestors had).

It's a good program if you're bored.

• Options
    A PSA 1 1952 Topps Mantle will run approx $5 to $10k. A small house will cost anywhere from $100 to $500k. Hm....not even close!

BTW the house is located at 503 main street NEAR a town Saskatchewan, probably a value of 5-10,000 US

Hmm pretty close, back to the coin forum boat Ankur
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    lol, be nice.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Well, here in Joisey houses are expensive, thats about the cheapest you will be able to get a house for around here at least.

And yes, a nice PSA 1 mantle can get up to $5k. I have seen many PSA 1's, and each one can be different.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
  • Options

<< <i>With that said: would Elemenopeo take things besides cards in trade? >>

I did open it up a while back to include other sports memorabilia, but I think that's as far as I'm going to go. I won't be trading for a back-up generator, for example.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...He got very lucky with what Gene Simmons offered him. That is what helped big time.... >>

One never knows when 707 is going to get sick of this thread and contact elemenopeo. image
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The most important element of making this work is
    NOT to allow ANY naysayers to discourage the effort.

The paper-clip dude noted that TONS of people told him,
    "You will never win."

The KISS stroke WAS a critical moment, BUT there is no
    certainty that such a moment will NOT come in this deal.

I would keep moving forward with the concept; even if
    it takes longer than I originally thought it might.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I'm interested in the Arod. I can offer a weedwacker, a lavalamp, and a "Saved By the Bell: The College Years" DVD.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm interested in the Arod. I can offer a weedwacker, a lavalamp, and a "Saved By the Bell: The College Years" DVD. >>

Hey, if you cant get rid of that Saved By The Bell DVD, PM me. I'll give you a T206 Wagner for it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm interested in the Arod. I can offer a weedwacker, a lavalamp, and a "Saved By the Bell: The College Years" DVD. >>

Hey, if you cant get rid of that Saved By The Bell DVD, PM me. I'll give you a T206 Wagner for it. >>

I DEFINATELY think you should keep going, in fact I am WAITING for a card I want to say I participated in the whole thing. Just last night cleaning the attic of my late uncle's grandfather's brother in law I stumbled acrss these card hidden in the floorboards. My Wagner is a little beat up though, prolly just PSA authentic, since it DOES NOT SAY REPRINT ANYWHERE ON THE CARD (anymore)

• Options
    Bryon....any takers on your Rodriguez?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hey, if you cant get rid of that Saved By The Bell DVD, PM me. I'll give you a T206 Wagner for it. >>

I DEFINATELY think you should keep going, in fact I am WAITING for a card I want to say I participated in the whole thing. Just last night cleaning the attic of my late uncle's grandfather's brother in law I stumbled acrss these card hidden in the floorboards. My Wagner is a little beat up though, prolly just PSA authentic, since it DOES NOT SAY REPRINT ANYWHERE ON THE CARD (anymore)

image >>

image Awesome finds. Was there more or were those the main cards you found?
  • Options

<< <i>Bryon....any takers on your Rodriguez? >>

I've fielded a few offers, but haven't solidified anything yet. One of these days, I'm going to compile and post a list of the cards I've been offered from the start of this whole deal.... it's kind of staggering to me to go back and look --- lots of cards in there I'd love to have, but just didn't fit into the grand plan.

<< <i>image Awesome finds. Was there more or were those the main cards you found? >>

Goot -- You need to turn on your humor detector. image