Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Struck a deal for the A-Rod. Kind of a fun one. Well, there all fun, really. I imagine I'll have a scan up by the end of the week.

Thanks again to all who made offers!
  • Options
    Sweet.

Cant wait to see the new trade!

Great work Bryon!

• Options
    Hey, hey! Only 16 years off target! Picked up this 1968 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 5 from board member Orioles in exchange for the '94 Flair A-Rod. Kind of an interesting milestone as well as a cool card to have in hand for a while. It's only the third Mantle card from his playing days that I've ever owned. (The others were a raw, beat-up '55 Bowman and a raw, VGEX-ish '58 Topps All-Star.) SMR on the '68 Mantle in PSA 5 is $100, and the last 5 eBay sales have actually averaged a bit more than that... So, I'm also pleased to finally reach solid three-figure territory. I think the A-Rod has an excellent shot of getting back into that same territory come spring, but I'd like to keep things moving right now... and it's Mantle. I couldn't resist. Thanks, Jim!

Anyone with an offer for the Mantle can drop me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com

imageimage

Edited to correct the SMR on the Mantle from $110 to $100.
  • Options
    very nice!
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great looking 5!
  • Options
    That is a great looking card for a 5!!
  • Options
    Can soeone tell me why that's not an 8? Geez.... that's amazing!
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This whole thing is fascinating. That is one awesome looking 5. Does it have a wrinkle? The corners look sharp to me.

Shane

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Elemenopeo,
    I've been lurking on this thread, but I have to tell you I'm impressed with your progress. Keep it up!
  • Options

<< <i>That is a great looking card for a 5!! >>

I agree. When I saw this in person, I immediately started thinking "crack and re-submit," BUT... after looking more closely... 3 of the corners are dinged, though still pretty sharp. It's most visible on the back and really doesn't show up at all on the scan. I think getting a 6 on a resub would be a bit of a longshot.
  • Options
    OriolesOrioles Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That is a great looking card for a 5!! >>

I agree. When I saw this in person, I immediately started thinking "crack and re-submit," BUT... after looking more closely... 3 of the corners are dinged, though still pretty sharp. It's most visible on the back and really doesn't show up at all on the scan. I think getting a 6 on a resub would be a bit of a longshot. >>

Definitely a great looking card. I got it raw when I first got back into collecting about 6 years ago. Picked it up at a small show in Maine at one of the malls. The corners are what is keeping it from a higher grade, but it presents really well. I'm really happy about the ARod card. Although, you can never have enough cards of Mickey Mantle. It's great to help Bryon out on his quest and it is probably as close as I'll get to owning a 1952 Mantle.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Awesome job to get a Mantle!

Chaz must've been working for PSA the day that was graded; that deserves more than a 5!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Elemenopeo,
    I've been lurking on this thread, but I have to tell you I'm impressed with your progress. Keep it up! >>

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    an soeone tell me why that's not an 8? Geez.... that's amazing!

68's are notorious for hiding corner wear. that is the reason it looks nicer then a five. with that said I am glad the OP is on his way towards a 52 mantle.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    nice card!
    White Whales:
    1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
    2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    DIBS!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    What a great story that is unfolding before our eyes. I hope you pull it off.

But stop and think a second.

As of right now, you traded away a 1986 Topps Alan Knicely for a 1968 Topps PSA 5 Mickey Mantle.

Un-freakin-real.

Keep it going.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Eventually I would like to see you post your card on ebay...

Your title could be:

1968 topps Mickey Mantle PSA 5 up for trade please read

And then inside provide a link to this thread and that should get you some more interest.

You could set a buy it now price of 5k so you wont have to worry about selling it.
    You might have to pay some listing fees but well worth it imo.
  • Options
    It would probaly get pulled by Ebay. Offering items for trade is against the rules so would the link to this thread.
  • Options
    It would only get pulled if someone reported it.

For someone to report that item, they would have to be borderline retarded
  • Options

<< <i>What a great story that is unfolding before our eyes. I hope you pull it off.

But stop and think a second.

As of right now, you traded away a 1986 Topps Alan Knicely for a 1968 Topps PSA 5 Mickey Mantle.

Un-freakin-real.

Keep it going. >>

Thanks, man. I appeciate the comments... and the bump to the thread. image The Mantle is still available and all reasonable offers will be considered.

Roger -- Nice idea on the eBay listing.... hmmm. I'll sleep on that one. I may just try it.

My God, is it really 1:20 a.m.? I'm hitting the hay... real soon.

• Options

That he did, how many were charity trades?

Good luck the rest of the way, I am pulling for you!!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Nicely done.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    What's that Mantle worth?
  • Options

<< <i>What's that Mantle worth? >>

I had in my original post that the SMR on the Mantle in PSA 5 was $110, but after checking again just now I see that it's actually $100. The last 5 eBay sales though have averaged about $115, according to VCP.
  • Options
    Cards of the Mick almost always go for more then SMR. Nicely centered ones even more.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>As of right now, you traded away a 1986 Topps Alan Knicely for a 1968 Topps PSA 5 Mickey Mantle.

That he did, how many were charity trades?
    Good luck the rest of the way, I am pulling for you!!
    Steve >>

Of course there were some charity trades involved.....LOL. You don't think Bryon could trade a Knicely straight across for a Mantle? Lighten up Steve, it's the chase that creates the excitement of this whole deal. Every trade involves a certain bit of "charity" for this project to work.....which is probably the reason we will not see you participate in a trade!
  • Options
    steviedoobie,

I don't think steve meant anything malicious in that statement.

I just offered the OP a very "charitable" trade, BTW.
  • Options

edited, nevermind, not worth arguing with an idiot.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    My question was, how many were?

I thought a few were, not all.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I had in my original post that the SMR on the Mantle in PSA 5 was $110, but after checking again just now I see that it's actually $100. The last 5 eBay sales though have averaged about $115, according to VCP.

Bryon it is my opinion that the SMR is low when it comes to Mantles, especially nice centered ones.

They almost always go for SMR+

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    it's the chase that creates the excitement of this whole deal...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

A few things... No offense taken on the whole "charity" question. Obviously, the success I've had with this project so far has nothing to do with my expertise in the art of the deal (of which I have none) and everything to do with other folks here who understand that this is just for fun and enjoy taking part in it and/or have a generous streak in them and just want to help out. It's no coincidence that all of my trades so far have been with other members of this board and have not come from other sites where I post the cards up for trade (though the Mantle did generate a lot more interest on those sites than any other so far).

Also, if possible, I'd like to keep this thread clear of any squabbles. So, any effort to help out with that is also very much appreciated. image

And lastly, I've accepted an offer on the Mantle. I imagine I'll have the new card posted soon. I had lots of 'charitable' offers on this one. Many thanks to those who made them.
  • Options
    Bryon, you should have it by Wednesday or Thursday.

your friend,

Josh
  • Options
    Bryon I hear ya and that is why i edited my post. I too would like to keep this thread free of squabbles FWIW I am not the first person to mention the word 'charity' yet I am the first to be pounded on for it. I simply asked how many were charity type trades. I have not been following the thread as closely as I would have liked. I do remember some trades that i considered lateral so they were all not charity.

In closing, maybe I should not have asked, but again, I have seen others mention it too and none were chastised for it. Maybe that poster should not answer for you?
    I'm still pulling for you and if I see something I like I will offer something up.

Steve

edited as to not confuse the issue anymore.

Good for you.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    maybe keep us updated on how many transactions you have had in your sig line. I am almost ready to throw down! Any trades with Stevieboobie? He might try to give you a "soft" positive on the boardsimage
  • Options

<< <i>And lastly, I've accepted an offer on the Mantle. I imagine I'll have the new card posted soon. I had lots of 'charitable' offers on this one. Many thanks to those who made them. >>

Wow, that was relatively quick. Must be a very nice offer.

That Mantle could pull $150 on the 'Bay with someone trying to get that "6" grade, I'm sure. So, must've been a card in the $150 value range OR a nice big name on the card. image

Keep it up brotha, this is great!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I agree with Arny, That is why I kept saying mantles always fetch more then SMR.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>maybe keep us updated on how many transactions you have had in your sig line. I am almost ready to throw down! Any trades with Stevieboobie? He might try to give you a "soft" positive on the boardsimage >>

Bryon, RM's comment is actually a valid one. I somewhat wish that I would have waited till the later stages of this project to propose a trade. The larger trades may get a little harder.....I hope I'm wrong.

I respect the fact that you want your thread free of squabbles.....my opologies to Steve. The whole threatening me in a P.M......relax!

Edited to correct spelling....I probably still have it wrong.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Baseball!!!
  • Options
    If somewhere down the road, a PSA 6 or 7 Mantle (or one of the 1957 PSA 6 key cards) comes up that I would need for my sets, I would consider jumping in.
  • Options
    Glad the card arrived, looking forward to a scan!

best wishes Bryon,

Josh
  • Options
    Didn't know much at all about this issue until jmbkb4 offered this 1993 Finest Refractor Roger Clemens PSA 9 for trade... The set came out during a period when I was away from the hobby, and I apparently missed quite a landmark. The PSA registry blurb credits the set with ushering in "the high-priced insert generation." I have to admit I was surpised by how much these go for in high grade. Josh puts the eBay value on the Clemens in PSA 9 between $150 and $180. There aren't any recently completed sales on eBay to match that up with, but I did contact a few of the other folks with sets of these on the registry and asked what they would expect the Clemens to go for at auction. Their responses ranged from $135 to $225. So, with the '68 Mantle in PSA 5 averaging about $115 lately, I decided to give it a go... It IS an interesting piece.. and quite shiny. image The scan really doesn't do it justice. It's much more striking in person. (No pun intended.) Thanks, Josh!

As always... anyone with an offer for the Clemens can drop me a PM or email at elemenopeo@gmail.com

imageimage
  • Options
    I think its going to be hard to move this card unless you send this thread to all of the refractor registry people..

• Options
    nice card look like an 9.5 ! ...oh. wait. sorry. no such thing exists :0)
  • Options
    TTT

Any luck Bryon?

-------------------------
    Alan W. Bailey II
    Beginner Collector
    Formerly knowns as "Teknobailey"

Collecting:
    - 1949 Bowman PSA 7+
    - Manny Ramirez Rookies in PSA 10
    - 1979 Topps PSA 8
    - Any raw Game-used Red Sox card (especially Red Sox A&G Jersey cards)
    - Graded Red Sox rookies (in a Red Sox uniform)

My Manny Ramirez Cards 14 Cards – Ten PSA 10’s – Seven Rookies
    My 1949 Bowman Set 27.50% complete (66 of 240 Cards) – 5.21 GPA
    My 1979 Topps Set 2.62% complete (19 of 726 Cards) – 8.00 GPA

Successful transactions (between both screen names) with: Late1970sTopps, Cwazzy, Guru, clayshooter22, lanemyer85, ArnyVee, vintagetoppsguy, mdkuom and Lawnmowerman.
  • Options
    68 Mantle for a 93 Clemens? hmmmmmm. (please no one be offended) I do not want a pissing match here.

It may have more of a value to some, but IMO that Mantle was more liquidable.

However your quest is not for a 68 Mantle it's for a 52. Good luck on your next trade.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    So you picked up a Clemens.

Not to be a smart alleck, but haven't you been watching the news the past couple of weeks?
  • Options
    Personally, I'd rather have the 68 than the Clemens too...

However... the registries for these cards are highly cometative, regardless of what's bee on the news.

He'll get a trade, I'm sure of it.

-------------------------
    Alan W. Bailey II
    Beginner Collector
    Formerly knowns as "Teknobailey"

Collecting:
    - 1949 Bowman PSA 7+
    - Manny Ramirez Rookies in PSA 10
    - 1979 Topps PSA 8
    - Any raw Game-used Red Sox card (especially Red Sox A&G Jersey cards)
    - Graded Red Sox rookies (in a Red Sox uniform)

My Manny Ramirez Cards 14 Cards – Ten PSA 10’s – Seven Rookies
    My 1949 Bowman Set 27.50% complete (66 of 240 Cards) – 5.21 GPA
    My 1979 Topps Set 2.62% complete (19 of 726 Cards) – 8.00 GPA

Successful transactions (between both screen names) with: Late1970sTopps, Cwazzy, Guru, clayshooter22, lanemyer85, ArnyVee, vintagetoppsguy, mdkuom and Lawnmowerman.
  • Options
    That may be possible (hitting up the reg guys) but what would they have that would further this goal? I really would not have done this (apart from being a Clemens), esp. trading with a fanatic like jmbkb who tends to overhype this set. Good luck, I hope you get a nice charity trade next.