Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'll trade ya this for a 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle

Comments

• Options
    clayshooter22clayshooter22 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    Every time I think about these plans I always thought you could make more trades and get further with multiple items. Have you considered trading for two cards? Then you could try to trade up more often. The volume of trades could double and so you increase your total value more quickly as the only added value is when traded.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Options
    I offer you these 2 Nolan Ryan cards.
    2 Ryans
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭
    Wondo -- Thanks for the offer! PM sent.

Gemint -- Thanks for the offer! No PM sent. image

Bigstep -- Thanks for the offer! PM sent.

Clayshooter22 -- I've definitely been considering the possibility that I may be limiting the possibilities unnecessarily. While I was shopping the Drake's Lockman around, I almost took an offer of two cards -- not only bercause it was the best offer I'd yet received at the time, but also because I kind of liked the thought of creating two separate trading branches like you described... or even three branches, four, five, etc... On top of that, I received another offer today of a very cool piece of memorabilia with a value of about $30 or more, but I'll have to turn it down unless I change the rule on trading for cards only. It's a tough call, but I do still kind of prefer the simplicity of keeping it card-for-card. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing others' thoughts. Think I'll be sleeping on it tonight.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I think you will hit a wall at around $100 in value if you stick to a strict one for one trade rule. You can do one for many and then reconsolidate many for one at later dates. Also I would expect in the end you will need to sell your assets and buy the Mantle. Otherwise you will end up having to accumilate a rediculous amount of "extras" to get anyone to trade a Mantle.
  • Options
    I think the Gods might be watching this thread . . .
  • Options

<< <i>I think the Gods might be watching this thread . . . >>

Cryptic. I like it. image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you will hit a wall at around $100 in value if you stick to a strict one for one trade rule. >>

If that's the case, let me know when you hit $100 and we'll talk.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think you will hit a wall at around $100 in value if you stick to a strict one for one trade rule. You can do one for many and then reconsolidate many for one at later dates. Also I would expect in the end you will need to sell your assets and buy the Mantle. Otherwise you will end up having to accumilate a rediculous amount of "extras" to get anyone to trade a Mantle. >>

I agree with Sagard.

When you start getting into big money cards, the charity trades will start to slack off. However, if you can branch out to multiple $10-$20 trades, you can continue to trade up and extend the branches out. Then when you reconsolidate, you can have the funds to buy the Mantle or trade many <$100 cards for the Mantle. I also agree that it will be tough to trade a bunch of lower value cards for a Mantle. I'm guessing the target is about $2000 in value to get a low grade '52 Mantle. However, if you buy the Mantle, then it kinda defeats the purpose of trading up to it. However, it is still a feat to acquire a '52 Mantle without adding any assets aside from the original trade bait.
  • Options

Thanks for the input, guys. You may well be right, but I'm going to give myself a little more time to think it over (or overthink it) before making any changes in the whole one-card-for-one-card rule. In the meantime, I've accepted an offer on the 1964 Philadelphia Forrest Gregg, and I imagine I'll have the new card up by early next week. And thanks again to all who made offers and were terribly patient while I figured out what the heck I wanted to do.

• Options
    This will be fun to watch... to bad the mail is so slow in the age of the Internet!
  • Options
    I remember something to this effect on the Beckett boards not too long ago in a column.
    They started with a pack of cards, and if I remember right, using cash and trades (from selling and rebuying more cards and memorabilia) after 6 months had gotten up to 60K before I stopped following it.
    A lot of the "trades" etc I thought were nothing short of BS, but you never know...
  • Options
    So, I ended up taking Wondo's offer of the 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly RC for the 1964 Philadelphia Forrest Gregg PSA 6. Not a big jump in value, but still progress, I'd say. The Mattingly is off-center, but otherwise a nice NM-MT card, clean and crisp.

Also, I've decided to open up the rules to allow trading for other types of memorabilia in addition to cards. Just about any kind of sports memorabilia would be fair game, I imagine. I still want to stick to one-item-for-one-item trades, for now at least, though I'd be OK with considering something like an unopened pack of cards or maybe even a set of cards as one item.

Anyway, a big thanks to Wondo and to everyone else who made offers... and If anyone's interested in a trade for the Mattingly, drop me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com

imageimage
  • Options
    I offer you rookie for rookie.
  • Options

Bigstep -- Thanks for the offer. PM sent.
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    Just curious, but wouldnt the favre be a downgrade?
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Roger told me to relay this message because he can't get to a computer- He will offer you a 1990 Topps George Bush for the Mattingly.
  • Options

<< <i>Roger told me to relay this message because he can't get to a computer- He will offer you a 1990 Topps George Bush for the Mattingly. >>

lol
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options

<< <i>Roger told me to relay this message because he can't get to a computer- He will offer you a 1990 Topps George Bush for the Mattingly. >>

Thanks, Roger! PM sent! image
  • Options

<< <i>Just curious, but wouldnt the favre be a downgrade? >>

You can get the Favre on FeeBay for like $10-$15

The Mattingly (even raw) is selling for more. The trade-ability might be better with the Favre though, since it's graded.

I say grade the Mattingly, you've got a solid 9 there (IMO) which will DEFINITELY sell for a LOT more than the Favre.

Just my $0.02

• Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    No way that Mattingly is a 9 with the centering. Still a nice card though.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Centering on the Mattingly is just under 30/70 t/b. PSA 7 or PSA 9oc at best.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    The centering is really that bad? I dont konw how to measure it exactly, but it doesnt look THAT bad...

You should see some of my cards (that didnt get OC)... they're worse than that.

Okay, so if it's really a 9OC, then def take the Favre trade.

• Options

Reached a deal for the Mattingly, and I'm looking forward to getting the next card up on the trading block. Many thanks to all who made offers...

• Options
    What's the next card??!!??!!??!!??!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He never says until it is in hand.
  • Options

Yeah, I just don't want to start shopping the next card around until I actually have it and the person I traded with has theirs and everything is known to be satisfactory both ways. It's just to avoid confusion in the unlikely event something were to go wrong.

And I don't mean it to be a tease to post that a deal's been made... OK, maybe a little bit, but really it's just to head off further offers.
  • Options
    No problem. I completely understand!

I'm looking forward to seeing the next deal!

I'd love to get involved at some point in this.

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>No problem. I completely understand!

I'd love to get involved at some point in this. >>

I'd love to get involved as well but your already over my head. image But it is fun to watch this unfold. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

<< <i>

I'd love to get involved as well but your already over my head. image But it is fun to watch this unfold. image

Chris >>

You never know cwazzy, maybe he'll come up with a Preacher Roe RC that you've been looking for!

Keep your eyes open!

• Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257

<< <i>

<< <i>

Chris >>

You never know cwazzy, maybe he'll come up with a Preacher Roe RC that you've been looking for!

Keep your eyes open! >>

Very true. Unfortunately unless he is willing to sell it I'm screwed. So we'll hope that is not the case. image

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEXT CHAPTER IN THIS TRADE, hope you come up with something i would like, this seems to be fun, i guess we all should have fun with oour cards not just keep them locked in a safe!!!

looking for some great trades

hank
    currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Picked up this next card on the block from CDsNuts in exchange for the Mattingly RC. And if anyone is looking at the scan below right now and thinking, "Kelvin who from what set?" -- my initial reaction when Lee offered this to me was much the same. But apparently this and other Dallas Cowboys rookie cards from this set in PSA 10 are of particular interest to a few enthusiastic registry-set builders out there, and tend to sell for... well, at prices significantly above what I would have expected them to. So, I took him up on it with the hope that I'll somehow be able to tap into a bit of that enthusiasm. But I have no particular value in mind in terms of what I would want or expect for it in trade. I'm just going to float it out there and see what comes back. It could work out really well... or not. I think it's worth taking a chance at this stage, though.

And, of course, a big thanks to Lee, who, last I checked, was still weeping with joy over his newly acquired 1984 Donruss Don Mattingly rookie card.

So, if anyone has a trade offer for this 1990 Topps Tiffany Kelvin Martin PSA 10, drop me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com

imageimage
  • Options
    Glad I could help. Hope one of the Cowboys guys will compensate you nicely for it. The last one I remember seeing on ebay went for nearly $100 about 6 months ago and I recently sold one privately on these boards for $80 if that helps with the value. I hope at least a few more guys need it for their registry set.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea who Kelvin Martin is, but that card shines so much I need sunglasses...
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This still isn't going to make me like you Lee. Not after what you said about my 2nd cousin's overweight half sister.
  • Options
    Thats a beauty.. Lomg time since I have even seen a K-Mart rookie.
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I got to say, this post is awesome! I hope you do get yourself a '52 PSA Graded Mantle. That would be AWESOME!!!

Hey, you ought to think about getting a free website going for this mission your going for. You could put a scan of what card you started with, traded for, etc... this way we could keep the kudos going for you here, and you can initiate trades on here, but than you'll have a place where everyone can view your scans without weeding through so many posts!

Good Luck!!!

Jeff
  • Options

Thanks, Jeff. A few people have recommended a Web site... If things keep moving along pretty well, I'll probably look into that. As for looking through the scans, they are viewable in sequential order by following the Photobucket link in my sig line and opening the sub album labeled "Trading up to Mantle".
  • Options
    Dang, I think I'm out of this now!

I was waiting till you had a $40-$60 card on the block, this one's out of my trading range...

Good luck to you sir!

• Options
    I will trade this for the mattingly to help your cause....sorry won't go for the kelvin psa 10...

also you have to provide postage...

• Options

Keep up the great work, Byron!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    hofautos, the mattingly is gone. The football card is the current one on the block.

I might be interested in your manny card though, PM me.

• Options

Teknobailey -- I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. image We'll see what happens.

hofautos -- Thanks for the offer, but, yeah, I traded the Mattingly for the Martin. Just doing these one at a time.

<< <i>Keep up the great work, Byron!

image >>

Thanks for the encouragement, stwon.

Sincerely,

Bryon image

(Hey, you're in good company. Danica Patrick once got it wrong, too. And a few thousand other people over the years.)
  • Options
    Biran's a good guy.
  • Options

<< <i>Teknobailey -- I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. image We'll see what happens.

Well, you'd presumably be INCREASING in value from here, and I just dont have anything in the $80-$100 range to trade...

DANG!

• Options
    Danm dyslexia.

• Options
    I will offer a 1985 Warron Moon RC PSA 8 for the Martin.

Mark

PS: Damn Cowboys.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

Reached a deal for the Martin. I think it worked out pretty well. Thanks again to all who made offers.
  • Options

<< <i>Teknobailey -- I wouldn't count yourself out just yet. image We'll see what happens.

hofautos -- Thanks for the offer, but, yeah, I traded the Mattingly for the Martin. Just doing these one at a time.

<< <i>Keep up the great work, Byron!

image >>

Thanks for the encouragement, stwon.

Sincerely,

Bryon image

(Hey, you're in good company. Danica Patrick once got it wrong, too. And a few thousand other people over the years.) >>

you are actually shipping/trading? I thought this was a joke...oh, ok...i will see what i can do in future...
  • Options
    Next up... a 1985 Topps Stickers Dan Marino PSA 10 acquired from OSClabs in exchange for the 1990 Topps Tiffany Kelvin Martin. A check with VCP shows just one past eBay auction in PSA 10 with a final sale price of $98 back in August. Woohoo! (OSClabs was the seller of that card as well.) On the other hand, its twin, the example I now have, was listed in OSClabs' eBay store with a $75 price tag at the time we made the trade. Hmmm. So, all things considered, it seems a pretty lateral move. But I have to believe the trade-ability factor improves with the Marino. I think the target audience (for lack of better phrasing) was pretty small for the Martin, and I was pretty darn fortunate to have someone come along who was not only interested in the card but also willing and able to make an item-for-item trade in this value range. Now, I'm hoping to see what I assume to be the Marino's wider appeal translate into more offers to chose from and an opportunity to make a more distinct jump in value. I think that makes sense. I hope it does.

By the way, OSClabs could not have been more congenial and easy to work with. I recommend taking a look inside his eBay store ... some cool cards in there, especially if you're a Cowboys fan. (This plug was not part of the transaction. image) Thank you very much, sir!

And, of course, anyone interested in making a trade for the card (sticker) below, please drop me a PM or email me at elemenopeo@gmail.com

imageimage