Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PM sent. An email was sent to the people that purchased the cards by the incorrect auction, it was supposed to start at $12.95. 4 Star was going to come out to about $500-$700 above the Ebay and PayPal fees. I am selling this lot because I got approx 700 vending 1969 topps baseball cards that are mint and probably 700 1975's that I would want to grade. My wife would kill me if I spend over $5000 on grading fees. I will see how the current auctions do and maybe stick with my buddy or maybe use 4 star. from reading this board I really think some of the people that post like controversy and like to stir up problems. If anyone here wants to question my integrity you can come to my job in West Caldwell. NJ I run Honda of Essex and I am the General Sales Manager my phoen number is 973-808-9100 ext 649. I really would appreciate everyone to stop with the comments. >>

Not a good idea to pass your work number out on a forum!! Would be better to PM it to those that you wish to contact you. Just some friendly advice.
  • lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• I just edited it. Thanks! If anyone wants my number pm me
  • Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    Now Stingray needs to edit his post that quotes you with the phone number in the quote.
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    The 72 OPC box definitely sold to someone that I've never dealt with before. I had a total of 4 of them - 2 ungraded, a GAI 6.5 and the GAI 8.5. Of the three boxes that I opened, I came away with a few hundred cards that should grade out 8, 9 or 10.

But, what I've found is that I have the cards and no cash to take advantage of the $5 Special. So, rather than crack the last box, I sold it for a little more than I paid for it and will use the cash to cover grading fees.

It would be different if the market for 72 OPC's was better. But, there are only a few of us building the set on the registry and the prices for anything other than HOF'ers is just bad with PSA 8's going for $5/$6 and 9's going for little more than $10 most times.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    Hey guys,

I've been able to pick up a few beautiful PSA 9's from Joe Maggio's set breakup. How many others have been able to pick up cards as well?

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!

<< <i>Hey guys,

I've been able to pick up a few beautiful PSA 9's from Joe Maggio's set breakup. How many others have been able to pick up cards as well?

Frank >>

Joe sold me 10 upgrades for my set. It put my set over the 8.60 GPA mark.

Thanks, Joe

Jami

• Hey, guys. I've been keeping track of who purchased every card. Looks like everybody but Arny got something from my set! Everything will have been listed on eBay by 12/12. Anything that hasn't sold by 12/19 will go into lots and hopefully sell then. I've still got a pretty good chance to hit my target price too!

I'd hoped to pick up some PSA 8 star cards for my other sets (1969, 1970, 1971), but they're all going at the highest they've ever been. It's definitely a seller's market on high-grade superstars right now. Maybe I'll pick up some of GradedCardNut's PSA 9's to start my 1972 re-build effort?
    Joe,

I wasn't even finished selling off my 72's before I picked up a PSA 8 lot and then a PSA 9 lot to start rebuilding. Its addictive, isn't it?

Jami - nice upgrade! Keep goin!

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I was trying with all of my might to not even look at your cards Joe! image

I have to focus most of my energy on selling off cards and finish off my '84 Donruss set. Once the '84 Donruss set is complete then I'll either start to look at picking up 9s for the set or sell it off. Depends on my focus and how many 'other' cards I can sell off.

By the way, congrats on that 8.60 Jami! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey guys,

Frank >>

I got the PSA 8 Phil Niekro from him.

I'm not working on this set (although I might do a Braves team one in the near future), but the Phil fits nicely in his player set. I had a very nice 7, but I've been on the lookout for an 8 for a while.
  • I picked up 10 or so low pop PSA 8's that I needed for my set & upgraded a few qualified cards as well. I'm now 99.49% complete! Also sending a #661 Bill Virdon & 757 Jose Cardenal to PSA this week (keeping my fingers crossed) but both look like a solid 8's.
    Dwayne
  • I picked up 20 or so cards from Joe PSA 8's and 9's and now I'm at 95.93% and a GPA of 8.34, still need around 30 cards some toughies some not. Hope to upgrade some more before I'm done.
    Wanted to be finished with the set by the end of the year,but at the rate I'm going I'll be lucky to be done by the end of next year.
    Congrats to Bill Novick, who occasionally reads these boards, for reaching the heralded 9.0 GPA on his complete set.

And those are some nice upgrades to get there!! Palmer 10, Munson IA in 9!!! Great job Bill!

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Hey Jami,Thanks for the mention of reaching the 9.0 grade point.It will be short lived because someone made an offer I couldn't refuse for cards that he couldn't find or bid on.So,it was nice to breathe in the rarefied air of the 9.0 grade, but I will slide down some points,and begin the climb again, after the first of the year. How come nobody ever told me that you need to put a second mortgage on your home in order to keep this up.

By the way,Congrats on reaching 8.60 now. Unless you're a 1972 Topps PSA collector in 8's or better, you probably don't know the difficulty in getting to 100%, and then trying to upgrade with 9's and 10's against some of the collectors who seem to have unlimited funds.Then, there are some four or five collectors who are probably beyond the grade of 9.3 or 9.4 having four hundred tens, three hundred and sixty nines,and the rest in 8's, but just haven't listed them on the PSA registry.

Beyond that,it has mostly been gratifying and rewarding knowing that one's 1972 Topps collection is probably one of the best collections in the world. I wish everybody a happy and healthy holiday season.
  • Hey Frank, Thank you,also. One only hopes that the value of most of these cards will be similar when one decides to try to live a more comfortable life by watching the bidding.I know you started a new set of Topps 1972 8's and 9's, as well as the OPCHee cards.How is that going?Were you ever able to repair that summer home from the water damage from the hurricane?? Have a great holiday as well.
    Bill,

My hair stopped falling out and the family definitely ate better when I started selling instead of continuing to buy!!! And as for the the summer home - yup - we removed the fish swimming through my ground floor dried everything out and fixed it good as new! Thank God for flood insurance!!!!!

I was able to rebuild another 72 set in 8 and 9 for roughly 10% of what I sold the last one for. Its not going to win any awards, but it was fun just the same. Are you still competing with Greg Foster for 72 PSA 10's (stfu888). He was going hot and heavy on 71's and 72's last year.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Frank,

I think Greg has most of the tens available in 1972 topps...I believe he was the one who bought the Ryan 10 for $10,000. Then there is
    pjpmint who really competes with Greg...baseblue48 who competes with pjpmint...baileykara who competes with baseblue48...then there is
    latinoliam who at one time was bidding and winning all that Uncle Robby had to offer...there is windy323 who will snipe at the end of heavily bid on item and win it if he wants it...there's eruditeoz...squirrel stuff...bryricdye...mike_felts...andrewk...Lmayer...vintagecollector75...motleycrewjeff...
    mrmcmillan...rmgajewski...lostdart58...maggio...phast1...glibersher...daj65...slushfunds...dgofwinter...sox&cubbies...mbothner...delocco...telcovebob...
    cokeglasses...akira5150...airbornepainter...kittlekat...mmqb27... and various others who compete for 8's,9's, and a few 10's.

So it is a challenge,at times...Glad to hear that your summer place has been fixed up and that you have another 1972 collection.It's hard for me to think of Frank Bakka without associating it with the original best 1972 Topps collection.So still having a more reasonable set of 72 topps sets the
    example for the rest of us who one day with sell, trade, or give up the set for a more relaxed and saner lifestyle.

Bill

Bill,

Yeah - Greg bought about 200 of the 10's that I had for sale - including the Ryan.

And Its amazing how much changes in a year. I only recognize about half of those handles! Sure - I miss not owning the best anymore - but there is definitely a satisfaction of knowing that I didn't lose a ton of cash like some who've broken up sets in the past. My time was great. And now I live vicariously through the rest of you!! Keep it up Bill!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having 5 raw sets in various grades, and 140/787 in my registry, this is one of my favorite threads here at CU, and I hate to see it so dormant lately. Frank, Joe, Arny, Jami, and all the others kept it going very strong during their quests, and gave us lots of 1972 knowledge. Now we need the new group (along with advice from those that have tamed the beast) to revive this proud thread. As my graded set grows I hope to post more often here, and pick the brains of those that came before me. Let's hear from all the others working on this wonderful sets.

<< <i>Having 5 raw sets in various grades, and 140/787 in my registry, this is one of my favorite threads here at CU, and I hate to see it so dormant lately. Frank, Joe, Arny, Jami, and all the others kept it going very strong during their quests, and gave us lots of 1972 knowledge. Now we need the new group (along with advice from those that have tamed the beast) to revive this proud thread. As my graded set grows I hope to post more often here, and pick the brains of those that came before me. Let's hear from all the others working on this wonderful sets. >>

Nick,

It was 3 years ago this week that I entered my first 64 cards into the set registry. I was 47th on the list with a GPA of about 7.6 or so. With very active buying I got to 95% within a year......................it took 6 months to get to 99%......and then almost a year for the last 8 cards!!

Good news is that card prices have gone down as pops have gone up especially in PSA 8s.

You know you can ask us old-timers any questions you need to know...

Jami,

I'm not sure if I'm ready to be thought of as an "old-timer" just yet.

I like to think of myself more like a former CEO who took his golden parachute and left the day to day competition during the prime of life...image

But Nick - like Jami says - people can ask us experienced (but not old)image members of the All-time Finest 72 Registry just about anything - anytime.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!

<< <i>Nick,

It was 3 years ago this week that I entered my first 64 cards into the set registry. I was 47th on the list with a GPA of about 7.6 or so. >>

I've always had about 50 or so cards on the registry, but was always on the fence about going forward with thoughts of completion. Then this week I bought an 89 PSA graded card lot, so now I am going to give it a shot.

Guess where that 89 card lot catapulted me to Jami......47th...lol...with a GPA of.....you guessed it....7.66. Funny coincidences huh? Thats where the similarities will probably end, but for me, and knowing how spectacular your set is, it's a nice parallel to be on if only for a moment. If Frank is the "early" retired CEO, I guess that makes Jami the VP in charge of acquisitions since he is still, even though slowly, in the acquiring stages.

PS - If the CEO or VP (or anyone else) have high pop 8s and 9s they they've already upgraded, I'm thrifty, but i'm in the market. image
    Nick,

Absolutely the way to go - buying in bulk. The 2nd time around, I purchased a 300 card lot and a 250 card lot. When I added those to the 200 cards I had kept from the first set I was within 100 cards of completing almost immediately. I sold off the dups and was back in the game. I wasn't at the high rollers table anymore, but it was fun to search and pick off cards a few at a time.

Frank

P.S. - don't have any leftovers at this time. But, who knows what the future brings!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Looks like the Santorini PSA 9 is over $200 already....what will this end at?

PSA 9 Al Santorini
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

<< <i>Jami,

I'm not sure if I'm ready to be thought of as an "old-timer" just yet.

Frank >>

My 8 year old daughter says I am an old fart.....and she is the head honcho....image

Jami I dont know how old you are, but im 40 with a 2 year old, so if anyone knows anything about old farts, its me.

<< <i>Jami I dont know how old you are, but im 40 with a 2 year old, so if anyone knows anything about old farts, its me. >>

I started later then you, as I will be 50 next year.

It's out of my league already, but I wonder how much this PSA 9 Ralph Houk will end up at ?
  • I finally opened a '72 wax pack worth talking about. I got this last week on Ebay, Item number: 290190207592 (GAI 7) 1972 Topps wax pack. Most cards had the usual centering problems that plague the '72 set but I pulled a beautiful, centered #49 Willie Mays, 163 Tug Mcgraw, #103 checklist (absolute flawless card), & a #52 Harmon Killebrew IA that is alittle OC but definatly worthy of a 9 (oc). I've been working on this set for at least 4 years now & it's the only graded set that I have put together. I collect alot of things from '72 (the year I was born) but this set is definately the most challenging & time consuming. The wife doesn't seem to mind the Baseball Cards laying around the house as much as she does the '72 Playboys so I will be buying and upgrading my '72's for awhile. Thanks guys for keeping this board going for so long. I have learned more about this set here than I would have anywhere else!

If anyone has a #490 Dave McNally in a 7 or better please let me know. Thanks again,
    Dwayne
  • Good ol Scott Susor. Alive and well.

• << <i>...#49 Willie Mays, 163 Tug Mcgraw, #103 checklist (absolute flawless card), & a #52 Harmon Killebrew IA... >>

Seems odd that you'd get a second series card in what appears to be a first series pack. But if someone had resealed it, the Mays wouldn't have been there.

I also pulled a beautiful Mays from a pack last year, but it was "only" an 8 - same for a Rose.

• << <i>Good ol Scott Susor. Alive and well. >>

I have absolutely no problem with Scott or his cards... except that they always tend to sell for more than I want to pay, but that's just 'cause I'm cheap.
  • I was so happy about the pack I didn't think about the series. The other #'ers were 62,112,171,197,207,& 261. I got 5 1'st series cards & 5 2'nd series in the same pack.
  • GAI people told me they stopped listing series #'s on the packs because of mixed series packs... said they were put together from "leftovers" by Topps at the end of the year. Your pack would seem to support that theory.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to Series 1/2 mixed packs in 1972, Topps also produced Series 5/6 packs, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    This thread needs a bumpity bump.
    I opened one of the two 1972 high series wax packs I purchased from packcollector a while back when he offered them for sale and just got back three of them from PSA. All three were super sharp and pack fresh, and look Mint 9 to the naked eye. I'm slowly beginning to start collecting this set (along with the 72 OPC set). I really like the clean look and color of these cards.

12 07317630 1972 TOPPS 634 DICK WOODSON N/A 8
    13 07317631 1972 TOPPS 584 JERRY McNERTNEY N/A 8
    14 07317632 1972 TOPPS 719 CESAR GERONIMO N/A 9

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Bump.

Very nice Grote. Was the pack split evenly between series 5 and series 6?
    Very nice Grote. Was the pack split evenly between series 5 and series 6?

Thanks, nam. Yes, the pack had five cards from Series 5 & five from Series 6. I have a couple Series 1/2 packs I may crack open soon, too. If I do, I'll post it on the board.

Well, I've cracked the top 40. lol In two weeks I've gone from 64th to 39th place. I feel like ive been at this non stop with all the searching ive been doing, and yet im only 23% complete. In those 2 weeks I've added about 50 PSA 9s averaging about $13 per shipped. I'll still be adding the cheap high pop 9s as often as I can, but I dont think I will be a player for any cards in PSA 9 that go for $100+ or any cards in PSA 8 that go for $50+. I've subscribed to VCP, so that will help a lot.

With 5 raw sets (but only 2 or 3 of them to submit from), I think I will do 50 to 100 card submission before the special ends, and then again and again when these specials roll around. My sets will only yield 7s and 8's and hopefully not too many 6's, but I think financially thats the way for me to go since I will never be chasing the top 10 or 15 spots. My goal is a financially responsible completion and then spotty upgrading.

Thanks for letting me go on and on, and Happy holidays to you and your families.
  • Happy Holidays to you too Nick!

Keep at it and try not to get discouraged....it's a HUGE set as you know and will take a lot of patience to complete. Keep your eyes open for large lots with 8s available out there as they pop up from time to time. Good luck with it!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Hi guys. I've got a 41 card lot of PSA 9s I'm looking to get rid of. I don't have time to list them all right now but you can check my past ebay auctions user ID jason045. I sold this lot at the first of the month to help out with christmas and got stiffed on it. It was originally a 39 card lot plus a couple singles the same buyer won. I'll try tonight to get a list up. I think this guys total was around $640-$650 but I'll sell to anyone here for $600 delivered. Thanks--Jason
    Jason - sold.

Let me know how you would like payment. Either PM me or you can email to lynnfrank@earthlink.net. Thanks.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
    This thread sure needs a kick in the pants. The eBay searching stinks this week with the 10 listing day barrage. I've been adding common PSA 9's when I can in the $12 to $16 range, and I sent in a 25 card PSA submission before the Nov./Dec. special ran out.

Everyone have a happy and safe New Year's eve tonight, and the best of everything to you and your families in 2008.
  • ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Well, picked up one of those Beckett Graded Card Investor & Price Guide mags and it's very good. Here are some of the prices in the 1972 Topps portion of the catalog....

#40 Bob Barton IA PSA 8 $50 PSA 9 No price
    #50 Willie Mays IA PSA 8 $135 (Up Arrow) PSA 9 No price
    #144 Marty Pattin PSA 8 $25 PSA 9 No price
    #150 Norm Cash PSA 8 $80 PSA 9 No price
    #170 Vida Blue IA PSA 8 $80
    #178 Paul Schaal IA PSA 8 $25 PSA 9 No price
    #230 WS Pirates Celebration PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $200
    #292 Hal McRae IA PSA 8 $150 PSA 9 No price
    #296 Dick Dietz IA PSA 8 $50 PSA 9 $120
    #300 Hank Aaron IA PSA 8 $185 PSA 9 No price
    #377 Terry Harmon PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 No price
    #408 Jim Northrup PSA 8 $20 PSA 9 $60
    #438 Maury Wills PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $120
    #443 Ken Henderson PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 No price
    #518 Wayne Garrett PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $120
    #524 Reds Rookies PSA 8 $50 PSA 9 No price
    #532 Fred Kendall RC PSA 8 $135 PSA 9 No price
    #533 Ralph Houk PSA 8 $60 PSA 9 No price
    #582 Montreal Expos TC PSA 8 $80 PSA 9 No price
    #600 Al Kaline PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $350
    #655 Jerry Grote PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 No price
    #658 Steve Dunning PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $120
    #665 Chris Short PSA 8 $25 PSA 9 $100
    #670 Ken Holtzman PSA 8 $80 PSA 9 No price
    #673 Dave Marshall PSA 8 $50 PSA 9 No price
    #683 Steve Hovley PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 No price
    #687 Del Unser PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 No price
    #693 Alan Gallagher PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 No price
    #699 Bobby Murcer PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $150
    #702 Jose Pagan IA PSA 8 $25 PSA 9 $150
    #708 Tim Foli IA PSA 8 $150 PSA 9 No price
    #723 Al Santorini PSA 8 $80 PSA 9 $250
    #757 Jose Cardenal Traded PSA 8 $100 PSA 9 No price
    #785 Vic Davililo PSA 8 $40 PSA 9 $250
    #787 Ron Reed PSA 8 $50 PSA 9 $300

.....I think that it's obvious that Beckett has their stuff up to snuff. image

There are a couple of adjustments that have to be made still, but they are right on track for most, right?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Here's some real numbers for comparison: