Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Woo hoo! Not only did I make a run at #19 on the list....I actually jumped to #18 on the list of '72s!

Thanks Mark! With his half dozen hi #s and minor stars, I moved up two spots and got right back behind Dave. Although, Dave has a nice lead on me (set rating 3.94 to my 3.69). Dave, you are almost at #16! Just a few cards shy of movin' past John Constantino's set. Continued good luck with those auctions to 'ya!

Jami, a few more items listed on eBay in the last day or so. I know that I noticed a few 9s and 10s. Right up your alley. Good luck. >>

Arny, if i list the 287 cards in psa 9 holders to my set your in trouble!

mmmmmuuuuuaaaaaaahhhhhhh hhhhhaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaa

but I wont now. I'm a nice guy like that!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options

<< <i>Arny, if i list the 287 cards in psa 9 holders to my set your in trouble!

mmmmmuuuuuaaaaaaahhhhhhh hhhhhaaaaa haaaaaaaaa haaaaa

but I wont now. I'm a nice guy like that!

image >>

NO!! image

By the way, this is post #1800 for this thread....nice! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Anyone has a 1972 Garvey PSA 8 they can sell me? Thanks.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    So who is going to win the Kendall?

If I was a betting man I would put up a wager........image

No....I am not going to bid on it...
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I put in a low snipe, but with the one that I sent off to PSA hopefully coming back an 8, I didn't want to overpay.

You think that Bill Novick will pick that one off at the end?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭
    Any chance anyone has a PSA 9 # 224 or 228 from the World Series subset they will part with? I know they are tough cards. It is the last 2 upgrades I need for the 1972 Topps Pirates Team set in the registry.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    I have a question. I just started buying graded 72 stars for my raw set and I was surprised to see PSA 9s go for just under $10. The SMR says $45 so I wonder why the bigger discrepancy (compared to most other realized prices vs SMR)?
  • Options
    PSA 9 commons have been listed at $45 in SMR for as long as I can remember. As the populations jumped, SMR should have dropped that price, but they refuse to do it.
  • Options

<< <i>So who is going to win the Kendall?

If I was a betting man I would put up a wager........image

No....I am not going to bid on it... >>

Well, I would have been wrong thinking that glibersher was going to bid on the card since he has a PSA 7 in his 8.91 GPA set. Hpw about the Dave Marshall PSA 9 continuing to get the big bucks ( $575) in spite of it's pop creaping up. One or two more and they will be selling in the $125 range.

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Wow, nearly $200 on the Kendall. Sales are still strong for that one.

I've got my fingers crossed for the one that I sent into PSA. I've also got a Santorini in that sub with great centering, but soft corners. Very outside shot at an 8, but worth a shot. Plus, if they grade that one a 7, the Kendall HAS to be an 8, right? image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Good luck on that Kendall Arny! That's gotta be top 3 current toughest in the set.

Speaking of tough, I just wanted to mention that I just put up my PSA-7 Expos Team card (#582). I know most 72 collectors in here are going for 8's or better, but considering the scarcity of this card in 8 or better, I figured somebody may want it until an 8 happens to pop up somewhere.

1972 Topps Expos Team PSA-7
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Wowser, Tim Foli in Action PSA 9 Link

Wonder what this one will go For? More than the last one or less?
  • Options
    Well guys, this is the same Foli In Action that I got from 4 sharp corners several months back with a $20 "Buy It now" The same one that was "Lost" in the mail that they were so sorry about. I knew they were full of s#@&amp;! I have pretty good feedback and don't mind getting a negative from them for not paying for it this time. Bid away boys. I got a feeling no one will outbid me on this one. If they would have just owned up to the mistake and not jerked me around for weeks I would have a better attitude about this. The Evil Empire Strikes back.
  • Options
    That's a damn shame that 4SC went that route with that auction. They could've just been upfront with it. That's garbage.

Try and string them along with not paying for it until a certain point when they can't get their fees back, etc. Is there such a timeframe?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Wow already 25 times more than what the last one sold for.

May the Force be with you !!!!!!

• Options
    Thats the plan Arny. The Money Order is in the mail I swear!!!
  • Options
    This crap by 4SC is pathetic. I just sent them an e-mail challenging why they mysteriously re-listed this Foli IA. Doubt I will get a response but who knows. Can you lodge and ebay complaint about this is you weren't directly involved with the transaction?
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I think you should just send them the $20 you won it for last time, with a note that says "Glad you found my card!"
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What dirtbags. If they had just told you, hey, we made a mistake with the BIN and said they wouldn't ship it at that price, well, that's one thing, but to LIE about it and PRETEND that it was lost, that just proves that 4SC is UNTRUSTWORTHY and BAD for the hobby.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    They actually sent me tracking #'ers for other peoples packages to try and prove that it was shipped. After I called them on that they stopped answering my emails and refunded my $20. It took 3 weeks and 15 or so emails to get that done. I have sent 4 emails since this card has been relisted but have gotton no response.
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im going to email them and tell them that what they did is spreading like wildfire all over the CU message boards, and let them know that hopefully they are losing bids because of it.
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    I emailed them and asked to hear their side of the story if they have one. I'll let you know what they say if they respond.
  • Options
    What's really ridiculous about this is that all they had to do was say "We made a mistake in the listing and we're not gonna sell you this card for $20." While that's still a crappy thing to do, it's much better than the B.S. path they chose.

Bidding it way up this time will allow them to send a Second Chance Offer to the underbidder and still make the sale at an inflated price. Of course, it will still feel good, I guess.
  • Options
    Hey Matt! You will love this set!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    They responded to my email with the statement that "they have had many problems with shipping since we moved to our new location". Which makes no sense because if your the shipper what does your move to a new location have to do with anything. I agree with Joe M. , they would be better off just saying we are not selling you the card. Real crummy business practice by 4sc.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They responded to my email with the statement that "they have had many problems with shipping since we moved to our new location". Which makes no sense because if your the shipper what does your move to a new location have to do with anything. I agree with Joe M. , they would be better off just saying we are not selling you the card. Real crummy business practice by 4sc. >>

Maybe it's a different post office and they're trying to blame them. The post office lost his card, mixed up the delivery confirmation numbers, and somehow delivered the card back to 4sc so they could list it again.
  • Options
    Looks like they cancelled your high bid about 7 hours agoimage Wonder how they caught on to that, lol?!?! The thing I don't get is that it's still at $499.99, but it looks like the necxt highest bidder's max bid is $200.00. How does that work? One thing I know is that I will never buy from these idiots and I will bad-mouth them every chance I get!
    Jim G
  • Options
    I have been collecting 1972 Topps Baseball in PSA 9 and a few in 10's and i am getting frustrated. I have just about all of the key cards graded a '9' without qualifiers including the AAron, jackson in Action,Ryan,Mays,Morgan Traded,Fergosi traded,carlton traded,McClain Traded, Schaal IA,Gene Michael IA , Lenny Randle Very low Pop, Some of the award cards i.e. CY YOUNG and Babe Ruth, some of the boyhood photos, #14 rookies low low pop, a few PSA 10s just to name some. I also have approx 20-30 high numbers graded a 9. Plus approx 70 more commons and semi stars. I think I have approx 120ish, what should I do about selling it. Should I list it as a lot? Or should I post it on this board? I am not really sure what the true value is. If anyone can give me a suggestion i would appreciate it.
  • Options

<< <i>I have been collecting 1972 Topps Baseball in PSA 9 and a few in 10's and i am getting frustrated. I have just about all of the key cards graded a '9' without qualifiers including the AAron, jackson in Action,Ryan,Mays,Morgan Traded,Fergosi traded,carlton traded,McClain Traded, Schaal IA,Gene Michael IA , Lenny Randle Very low Pop, Some of the award cards i.e. CY YOUNG and Babe Ruth, some of the boyhood photos, #14 rookies low low pop, a few PSA 10s just to name some. I also have approx 20-30 high numbers graded a 9. Plus approx 70 more commons and semi stars. I think I have approx 120ish, what should I do about selling it. Should I list it as a lot? Or should I post it on this board? I am not really sure what the true value is. If anyone can give me a suggestion i would appreciate it. >>

I would sell all but high pop commons ( PSA 9s) individually on ebay. The high pop commons could be sold as a lot. PM me if you have any questions. I know the 72 market better then anyone here.

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I would recommend selling the cards individually on eBay. You'll maximize your money and each person can bid on only what they need. High end cards always have a market. The downside is that you have to do some work. The upside is the money.

You could sell them on the boards - downside is the money would be slightly less. Upside is that you should be able to unload them quicker.

Just my 2 cents.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    I know if I was going to try this set I would have loved to find a lot that had the cards that I have in mine. But I guess you guys are right selling seperately is the way to go. Some of the cards I have I havent seen on Ebay in months. If anyone knows anyone who is looking to start this set and maybe interested pm me.
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like they cancelled your high bid about 7 hours agoimage Wonder how they caught on to that, lol?!?! The thing I don't get is that it's still at $499.99, but it looks like the necxt highest bidder's max bid is $200.00. How does that work? One thing I know is that I will never buy from these idiots and I will bad-mouth them every chance I get! >>

They had a reserve set at 499.99 and the next highest bidder was only 200.
  • Options

<< <i>I know the 72 market better then anyone here. >>

Really? Even better than Arny and a few others that come to mind? How do you quantify something like that exactly? No worries... I'm half messing with youimage Just thought that was an interesting comment...
    Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Looks like they cancelled your high bid about 7 hours agoimage Wonder how they caught on to that, lol?!?! The thing I don't get is that it's still at $499.99, but it looks like the necxt highest bidder's max bid is $200.00. How does that work? One thing I know is that I will never buy from these idiots and I will bad-mouth them every chance I get! >>

They had a reserve set at 499.99 and the next highest bidder was only 200. >>

Yeah, that makes sense, but once the bogus bid was eliminated, I would have thought that the current auction amount would have gone back down to $205 or 202.50 (the lowest increment over the $200 bid). I thought that the reserve should not come into play until that bidder had his bid forced above the reserve be other legitimate bids... (I'm a bit confused)
    Jim G
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I would vouch for Jamie on knowing the 72 market right now. He's been in the thick of things for the last couple of years. I know his current knowledge blows away my outdated knowledge!!!

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>

Really? Even better than Arny and a few others that come to mind? How do you quantify something like that exactly? No worries... I'm half messing with youimage Just thought that was an interesting comment... >>

.,...and I am sure Arny, Joe maggio, FB and the rest would agree....image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

.,...and I am sure Arny, Joe maggio, FB and the rest would agree....image >>

Yep. I agree.
  • Options
    Yeah, that makes sense, but once the bogus bid was eliminated, I would have thought that the current auction amount would have gone back down to $205 or 202.50 (the lowest increment over the $200 bid). I thought that the reserve should not come into play until that bidder had his bid forced above the reserve be other legitimate bids... (I'm a bit confused) >>

As long as your bid surpasses the reserve, it automatically jumps to the reserve price, even if there isn't another bidder. For example: suppose the auction started at $1.00, but had a $500 reserve. The first bidder thinks it's a bargain and bids $1000. It would immediately say "Congratulations, you are the first bidder and the reserve has been met" - showing the bid at $500.

If the first bid was $499, it would "You are the high bidder, but the reserve has not been met" showing the bid at $1.00.

Hope that clears things up. I know how eBay reserves work better than anyone here. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

.,...and I am sure Arny, Joe maggio, FB and the rest would agree....image >>

Yep. I agree. >>

Yes I agree too. image
  • Options
    Jamie actually got me started on the set! From the current guys collecting the set, I would trust his opinion as much if not more than anyone around image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Yeah, that makes sense, but once the bogus bid was eliminated, I would have thought that the current auction amount would have gone back down to $205 or 202.50 (the lowest increment over the $200 bid). I thought that the reserve should not come into play until that bidder had his bid forced above the reserve be other legitimate bids... (I'm a bit confused) >>

As long as your bid surpasses the reserve, it automatically jumps to the reserve price, even if there isn't another bidder. For example: suppose the auction started at $1.00, but had a $500 reserve. The first bidder thinks it's a bargain and bids $1000. It would immediately say "Congratulations, you are the first bidder and the reserve has been met" - showing the bid at $500.

If the first bid was $499, it would "You are the high bidder, but the reserve has not been met" showing the bid at $1.00.

Hope that clears things up. I know how eBay reserves work better than anyone here. image >>

Hey Joe, thanks for the explanation. Has it always been like this? I could have sworn that quite some time ago, I had a reserve auction up (for say, $50) and some bid over that amount (say $60), but his high bid showed under the reserve amount (say $40) until other's bids forced him over the reserve. Anyway, could be my memory going as I just turned 40 a few weeks back, lolimage
    Jim G
  • Options
    page turn..

• Options

<< <i>Hey Joe, thanks for the explanation. Has it always been like this? I could have sworn that quite some time ago, I had a reserve auction up (for say, $50) and some bid over that amount (say $60), but his high bid showed under the reserve amount (say $40) until other's bids forced him over the reserve. Anyway, could be my memory going as I just turned 40 a few weeks back, lolimage >>

It's been that way as long as I can remember... back to 1999.
  • Options

"Cancelled: US $800.99
    Explanation: malicious bidding"

malicious? hmmm sad to see what they did
    somebody should start a new thread on this

someone mention the 20 is the SMR, maybe later bidders emailed them, telling them how valuable this card is with buy offers , so then they realized this was a rare card?
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • Options
    "Cancelled: US $800.99
    Explanation: malicious bidding"

Because we didn't step up to the plate and say sorry we made a mistake on the listing and on your next purchase you have a 20.00 credit voucher, this is the least that they could have done. JMHO

Mistakes are made but don't compound the problem by Lying.
  • Options
    I have never seen an Aaron IA go cheaper then this one.

The centering is about usual for the card.

• Options
    That's a great price for that Aaron IA! I think that the lowest I've seen that one other than this one was about $185. I think that I paid $190 or something like that and thought that I got a steal! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    I cant bid on anymore of their items. Thats just low what they did, and they gave me a bull crap story about shipping problems.
  • Options
    Arny,

Yup ,you and I both paid in the low $190s for ours.......I have seen one other go in the high $150s, a long time ago.........and some one recently got one cheap....$160 something maybe...

• Options
    I Paid 194 + change for my Aaron IA , was going to raise my bid on the one that went for 152 but got side tracked doing something else. (Budweiser arm curls) .

What about that #44 Wise IA that had to be close to a record for that card (182 + s/h).