Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

1545556575860»

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@86DonrussGuy said:
    Yea...I think I saw the CEO of Schwab buying '72 Topps common PSA 10's for $5K+...and then he liquidated his set?? Must of had sour grapes because he couldn't unseat the #1 set because I see he's still actively buying in other areas. How can I get a Don Gullet when I have to compete with THAT?! Yikes :#

Is that 131313?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@86DonrussGuy said:
    Yea...I think I saw the CEO of Schwab buying '72 Topps common PSA 10's for $5K+...and then he liquidated his set?? Must of had sour grapes because he couldn't unseat the #1 set because I see he's still actively buying in other areas. How can I get a Don Gullet when I have to compete with THAT?! Yikes :#

Is that 131313?

Yes...he's changed his user name a couple times...I think it used to be Bulldog or something like that. Anyway, Walt is a heavy hitter that is waaaaayyyyyy out of my league!

• Options

@86DonrussGuy said:

@PaulMaul said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

Is that 131313?

Yes...he's changed his user name a couple times...I think it used to be Bulldog or something like that. Anyway, Walt is a heavy hitter that is waaaaayyyyyy out of my league!

I think his ebay user is currently 13djiwu13...again, it changes on occasion. Just know that if he's bidding on something you're looking at, don't waste your time.

• Options
    edited March 11, 2023 6:33AM
  • Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@86DonrussGuy said:

yes that's right about the hedge fund guy. said he was selling because he had "too many sets to keep track of". It is crazy that some of the lower pop 72 PSA 10's went as high as they did. Just takes two buyers with deep pockets going after the same card.
    Good luck finding those remaining cards.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @86DonrussGuy

Look what just popped up on eBay….

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374556117937

So given Probstein's reverse auction techniques, he'll drop the price each time the card gets relisted....so with that in mind, I ought to be ready to pounce in 2025 :/

• Options

yes that's right about the hedge fund guy. said he was selling because he had "too many sets to keep track of". It is crazy that some of the lower pop 72 PSA 10's went as high as they did. Just takes two buyers with deep pockets going after the same card.
    Good luck finding those remaining cards.

"Too many sets to keep track of" and yet he's still buying like crazy. I'm still thinking "sour grapes" so I'll pick up my toys :o

• Options

131313 is certainly quite well off. But I actually know another collector whose family’s net worth is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than his. Everything’s relative! Sick to think there is someone out there for whom $100K is like a dollar is to me 🙄

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    131313 is certainly quite well off. But I actually know another collector whose family’s net worth is a couple of orders of magnitude higher than his. Everything’s relative! Sick to think there is someone out there for whom $100K is like a dollar is to me 🙄

Same here. He's waaaaaayyyyyy out of my league. One of reasons that I decided to move on from my set. And the fact that my kids wanted nothing to do with it so I figured I'd get out when I did.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

Is that 131313?

OK, so did anybody see the Heritage 7/15/23 auction results on the 1972 PSA 10 Gullett? $5,520!!! I do realize he was part of the "Big Red Machine" but come on...this is a Pop 7 "Common" in my book. I thought the Schwab guy was OUT of the '72 Set? Looks like there's another "more money than sense" '72 guy out there. What's next....$18,600 for a Pop 8 Al Oliver card....oh wait...that happened too??!!!

• Options

@86DonrussGuy said:

@PaulMaul said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

Is that 131313?

OK, so did anybody see the Heritage 7/15/23 auction results on the 1972 PSA 10 Gullett? $5,520!!! I do realize he was part of the "Big Red Machine" but come on...this is a Pop 7 "Common" in my book. I thought the Schwab guy was OUT of the '72 Set? Looks like there's another "more money than sense" '72 guy out there. What's next....$18,600 for a Pop 8 Al Oliver card....oh wait...that happened too??!!!

Now that’s a number that would pry mine away! 😂

• Options

You’re saying a 1972 Al Oliver 10 sold for $18K?!

• Options

I don’t think I can view Heritage Results without a login. Did a PSA 10 of this card sell?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I don’t think I can view Heritage Results without a login. Did a PSA 10 of this card sell?

I didn't see one.

• Options

$18,600 vs. $24…you be the judge…

• Options
    86DonrussGuy86DonrussGuy Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited December 15, 2023 12:51PM

Who in their right mind pays $12,388.80 for a '72 Topps card of Steve Blass???

https://milehighcardco.com/1972_Topps__229_World_Series_Game_7_PSA_10_GEM_MIN-LOT96437.aspx

I realize he pitched two complete games in the '71 Series and only gave up two runs, but SERIOUSLY?

Glad to see the '72 Topps market has simmered down!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a pop 2 but that is crazy. Incidentally, that is the only WS card I don't have in 9 or 10. It's not that tough in 9 but all the ones I submitted got 8s. The last 10 of this card sold for $2k in 2018. You can pick up a 9 for a hundred bucks.

• Options

In that Heritage auction, there was a Pirates collector that was paying crazy money for 10's. I also think he paid over $10K for the Pirates team card earlier.

• Options

So who is the lucky millionaire that just scored the Aaron In Action 10....FINALLY.

Can't wait to see THAT card go in auction!!!

• Options

WOW!!!!! afetr all this time, a 10 finally is found.

• Options

A YouTube creator unboxed a 1972 Topps BBCE Box and plans to release a video soon regarding the grades of the cards he pulled from it.