Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options

Down to 37 for 1972 Topps Baseball, if the PSA 8 set owners plan on upgrading to 9’s I will buy the 8’s i need from you. I want to move on to the 1970 Topps set

Thanks,

Mike

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone out there looking to sell any PSA 10's, or these 5 cards in PSA 9 from this set.....40 BARTON IA, 48 ELLIS IA, 178 SCHAAL IA
    533 HOUK and 655 GROTE, please let me know

• Options

Did anyone get the PSA 10 TWINS ROOKIES, #778 (Dempsey) last night on EBAY?

• Options

Last night on EBAY, Del Rice PSA 10 (1 of 2) sold for over $3000. Crazy!!!! 2 snipe bids entered for over $3000 each. Sold thru PWCC. Happy for the seller!!!!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 6:39AM

To celebrate reaching 50 % completion of my set I picked up this Hovley 9 from 4SC. Somewhat overpriced, but with the sales tax issue buying off their website becomes even more attractive. I just didn’t think I’d ever get a better deal on eBay. And it is one of the top 25 lowest 9/10 pops in the set!

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    To celebrate reaching 50 % completion of my set I picked up this Hovley 9 from 4SC. Somewhat overpriced, but with the sales tax issue buying off their website becomes even more attractive. I just didn’t think I’d ever get a better deal on eBay. And it is one of the top 25 lowest 9/10 pops in the set!

whats the sale tax issue ?

• Options
    edited October 25, 2019 7:39AM

@lawyer05 said:

@PaulMaul said:

whats the sale tax issue ?

In most states (including mine) folks now get charged state sales tax on every eBay purchase.

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Nice! That's huge! That card has been my nemesis for going on 4 years now. Did that hit eBay first, or did you go directly to the website? I'm green with envy now!

fwiw, that yellow blob encroaching on the red, right hand border is on all copies of that card I've seen. My hunt continues...

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

@mrpeanut39 I believe it was on eBay for awhile. It was listed at $223 on eBay. Last weekend when 4SC had their 15% off sale it was down to $190 with free shipping. Factoring in the sales tax avoidance, I convinced myself that equated to an eBay price of $175. Creative accounting.😁

• Options

Hmm. My VCP search let me down as I had no idea it was on eBay for awhile. Once again, congrats.

"I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

I just saw a PSA 10 #784 Aspromonte go up on Ebay. Pop on this card is low (I think 4); actually on my tracker I haven't seen a PSA 10 at all. Card looks good to me. Price seems a tad high, but since I haven't seen one, it might be worth the extra bucks. Any opinions?

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    I just saw a PSA 10 #784 Aspromonte go up on Ebay. Pop on this card is low (I think 4); actually on my tracker I haven't seen a PSA 10 at all. Card looks good to me. Price seems a tad high, but since I haven't seen one, it might be worth the extra bucks. Any opinions?

The card looks deserving of a 10. And at pop 4 the price doesn’t seem crazy.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    The card looks deserving of a 10. And at pop 4 the price doesn’t seem crazy.

Thanks. Appreciate your help.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few highlights from my latest sub. I'm particularly stoked about the Barton IA as it's one of the tougher cards to find well centered and in high grade.

• Options

Wow. That Barton is very nice. Been looking for that one for quite some time. Also the Alou is another nice find. Congrats

• Options

Thank you kind sir for the Stennett, which looks like was also from this sub.

• Options

@gemint said:
    Here are a few highlights from my latest sub. I'm particularly stoked about the Barton IA as it's one of the tougher cards to find well centered and in high grade.

I'm not sure if you're so inclined, but if you are considering selling any from this set, I'd be a buyer if it was something to upgrade my set. (set name JRR300 on registry). Mostly looking at PSA 10.
    Either way, some extremely nice cards for you.

• Options

@mrpeanut39 said:

Happy to help.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@mrpeanut39 said:

where is the stennet ?

• Options

Haven't scanned it yet. It's only a 9 and I'm pretty sure you have a PSA 10 so you won't be too impressed.

• Options

I see many here in this thread sending cards to PSA. Where are you finding or buying these? The ones I find at most shows or for sale are all flawed, picked over and not worth sending. Any places someone here might know or recommend? Thanks.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    I see many here in this thread sending cards to PSA. Where are you finding or buying these? The ones I find at most shows or for sale are all flawed, picked over and not worth sending. Any places someone here might know or recommend? Thanks.

I don’t find that many, but it’s mostly luck. I have found three small batches at the same show in NY I attend regularly in the last year. All of the first two batches came back 9s and 10s. The last batch was just as nice, but I got the grader of death and wound up with three 9s and two 8s.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I don’t find that many, but it’s mostly luck. I have found three small batches at the same show in NY I attend regularly in the last year. All of the first two batches came back 9s and 10s. The last batch was just as nice, but I got the grader of death and wound up with three 9s and two 8s.

Thanks for the info. Guess I just keep looking. Would like to just find a few to prove there are actually some out there.

• Options

Scored a nice copy of this low pop common. It’s hard to figure why some low pop commons generate so much more heat than others. The Ray Culp card has nearly identical pop numbers to this one. The last several sales of that card were anywhere from three to five times what I paid for this one.

• Options

I've noticed that too. I wonder if the pops of the surrounding grades hold any clues. Maybe compare PSA 10 pops?

On a side note, I'm amazed looking at the primitive Spring Training shots on a lot of the 72's. I think it's the Expos who have a lot of shots where the field looks like it would be an embarrassment for an elementary school.

• Options

@mrpeanut39 said:
    I've noticed that too. I wonder if the pops of the surrounding grades hold any clues. Maybe compare PSA 10 pops?

On a side note, I'm amazed looking at the primitive Spring Training shots on a lot of the 72's. I think it's the Expos who have a lot of shots where the field looks like it would be an embarrassment for an elementary school.

In the case of Culp, I think its 9 population has gradually climbed over the years so that it’s no longer as low pop as collectors “feel like” it is.

As for the embarrassing spring training shots, this one always sticks in my mind...

• Options

Another puzzle is the relationship between 9 and 10 populations of a given card. You’d think that ratio would be pretty stable. Yet you have Bob Gibson with 64 9s and one 10, while Joe Keough has only 33 9s, but twelve 10s. Odd.

• Options

I've noticed much of the same thing as I've been trying to further upgrade my set. Just doesn't make sense.

@PaulMaul said:
    In the case of Culp, I think its 9 population has gradually climbed over the years so that it’s no longer as low pop as collectors “feel like” it is.

You're absolutely right about the Culp card. When I first started to get serious about this set, that card was almost impossible to find. Now the pop count has steady continued to rise, but it doesn't seem to really have hurt the value

• Options

There's a PSA 10 Carew up on EBAY for $5k. Checked my notes and this is the first "10" I've seen in this card in 3 yrs. Pop count is 6. Card does look nice and I think the price is fair and it is a high number but......I think for that money, I can probably get something like a Clemente, or a Frank Robinson and another HOF or two.
    Looking for opinions on where other collectors feel the value lies. Any thoughts?

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    There's a PSA 10 Carew up on EBAY for $5k. Checked my notes and this is the first "10" I've seen in this card in 3 yrs. Pop count is 6. Card does look nice and I think the price is fair and it is a high number but......I think for that money, I can probably get something like a Clemente, or a Frank Robinson and another HOF or two.
    Looking for opinions on where other collectors feel the value lies. Any thoughts?

The previous two sold for $3,161.88 and $3,824. So $5k seems a bit on the high side. Personally I'm not one to pursue PSA 10's unless I get them in my own submissions. I'd much rather spend $500 for a nice PSA 9. For comparison, a Clemente PSA 10 will set you back $4k-$5k. The Frank Robby is a relative bargain at $700-$1000 range with the last sale being an outlier at $1,429.77.

• Options

@gemint said:

The previous two sold for $3,161.88 and $3,824. So $5k seems a bit on the high side. Personally I'm not one to pursue PSA 10's unless I get them in my own submissions. I'd much rather spend $500 for a nice PSA 9. For comparison, a Clemente PSA 10 will set you back $4k-$5k. The Frank Robby is a relative bargain at $700-$1000 range with the last sale being an outlier at $1,429.77.

Spending on 9's is over, as the only cards from this set in less than a 9 (40,48,178,533,655) are crazy difficult to find. I realize the price of the Clemente but I do believe his relative value will remain high. I mentioned the F Robby because I do believe he presents a value at that price. Some of the other HOFers are even higher. I did not see the last Carew sold, but it was almost 2 years ago. Sounds like you would rather have multiple value cards than one like the Carew. Thanks.

• Options

That CAREW is still there. Now down to about $4250. Also noticed that a few other HOFers are available in PSA 10 as well.

• Options

Looking for the following in PSA 8 or better to finish this beast

Fuentes
    John Ellis IA

• Options

OK, we're all stuck home, and been trying to make a few deals, but I just have to vent my frustration. Looks like prices have softened a bit; understandable as so many are out of work. I constantly look at upgrades for this set and someone on EBAY, I believe it's "sports cards forever" listed around 125 PSA 10's from this set at prices far beyond the max that any of them have ever seen. Why bother or is it just something to do to fill the time? I just don't get it.
    Sorry, but just had to let it out. Anyway, if there is anyone out there wanting to sell off some 10's from this set or simply trade down and pick up some cash, I'd be interested.

• Options

He seems to be trying to give Dean’s Cards a run for his money.

• Options

@gemint said:
    He seems to be trying to give Dean’s Cards a run for his money.

I wonder if they actually sell anything????

• Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2020 11:00AM

I don't know if you can list full PSA graded sets for sale on this board any longer, but wanted to let everyone know that I have a 100% graded 1972 Baseball set for sale on the Buy, Sale, Trade board. It's currently the #12 ranked set with a GPA of about 8.67. I'm looking to get 12% less that current VCP value. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations as to where (sites or individuals) that I should go to in order to sell the set, I would appreciate it.

Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.

I have been following this thread for several years now. Always loved this set and add a favorite every so often. Picked up this SPARKY ANDERSON raw a couple of months ago and just got it back from grading. I thought it had a shot at a 9 and was pretty happy to see it land a PSA 9.

• Options

very .nice card. Congrats

• Options

@JBrules said:
    I have been following this thread for several years now. Always loved this set and add a favorite every so often. Picked up this SPARKY ANDERSON raw a couple of months ago and just got it back from grading. I thought it had a shot at a 9 and was pretty happy to see it land a PSA 9.

can I ask where you found such a nice raw card? when I do go to shows or find anyone who has this year cards for sale, they are usually well picked over and not really that nice. Just curious and interested. Thanks

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

@JBrules said:

can I ask where you found such a nice raw card? when I do go to shows or find anyone who has this year cards for sale, they are usually well picked over and not really that nice. Just curious and interested. Thanks

I found it on Ebay. The seller is geis79. I won two cards from this seller. A Johnny Bench In-Action came back a PSA 7. Thought for sure it was a minimum 8 with an long shot at a 9. The sell has some currently listed for sale. https://ebay.com/sch/geis79/m.html?ssPageName=&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2654
    I paid $4.25 for the Sparky Anderson. Here is the Bench card.

• Options

The Bench IA definitely looks better than a 7! I’m used to those kind of results for 71s, not 72s.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    The Bench IA definitely looks better than a 7! I’m used to those kind of results for 71s, not 72s.

If you put a gun to my head I'd say that the bottom right corner is the culprit. A sweet card nonetheless.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@PaulMaul said:

If you put a gun to my head I'd say that the bottom right corner is the culprit. A sweet card nonetheless.

Thanks. Agree that bottom right is probably the biggest reason.

• Options

Photographing some cards for my registry and was reminded how much I like my copy of the Marichal In Action card. It’s always worth waiting for one you’re really happy with!

• Options

Just looking for a few opinions to help my thought process here. I've been searching for quite some time for a #48, PSA 9, John Ellis IA; it's one of the few remaining cards in my set at less than a PSA 9. I know it's a low pop card, but there are 2 10's out there, so in my mind, with a pop count in the mid 20's, I'm thinking it's value is in the $300 range. Most of the 8's have sold in the 20-30 range. There's one out there now starting at $500 which I believe is way too high. Thoughts or comments?
    Thanks.

• Options

With a pop in the mid 20’s, I would assume that if you’re patient, a high end set will be broken in the next year or two. If you’re impatient and anxious to complete your set, you may have to bite the bullet and pay.

I believe you needed the Schaap IA in a PSA 9. Did you get the one probstein was auctioning off a number of weeks ago? Heavy action on that one.

• Options

No. I thought a bid of $1050 would get it done, but was outbid by two people. Wound up going for over $1200. A little too rich for me. I'll just have to wait a little longer. I'll probably do the same on the Ellis as well.
    Thanks.for your thoughts on this.

• Options

I watched the Schaal IA close and it was at 835 until the last second when it jumped to 1200. Crazy. Also, I saw the listing for the Ellis IA and noticed there was a best offer option. Wonder how low the seller will go.