Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

I've had several others besides you who have said exactly the same thing.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the highlights of my wins from the setbreak. Particularly with the Williams, I have been looking for a nice one for a long time but could never find one I liked. Very happy with this one. The Renko IA is pretty tough and it’s unusual to find one that’s cut so perfectly!

• Options

Very nice additions. Congrats. Hope to have mine by the end of the week.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

Yeah, I live 40 miles from Probstein so they got here quick!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@JRR300 said:

I live only a bit further but had trouble trying to pay. Had to email him and finally cleared out whatever was holding it up. Looks like mine were sent today. Are you in NJ or up in NY?

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@JRR300 said:

I live only a bit further but had trouble trying to pay. Had to email him and finally cleared out whatever was holding it up. Looks like mine were sent today. Are you in NJ or up in NY?

Southeastern NY, about an hour NW of NYC.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

Southeastern NY, about an hour NW of NYC.

I'm in the other direction, just a little north of Philly.

• Options

Looking for an opinion because I just can't figure it out. I've been looking at the Charlie Fox card #129, PSA 10, pop 12. It's a low number card, a manager at that, and in the last few months, I've seen this card sell for just about or over $200; I figure that it's worth just a little more than half of that. There's another one out there now on auction that started well above $200, and is now down in the $140's, but there are also several BIN's with price tags much higher. Am I missing something here? Did he ever do something that he'll be remembered for and people would want his card?

• Options
    edited October 22, 2020 1:42PM

No, I don’t think so. I believe the population has come up in the last couple of years, so it may be old pricing. I subbed a 10 of this card and I think the pop was only 8 or 9 (it was a few years ago).

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    No, I don’t think so. I believe the population has come up in the last couple of years, so it may be old pricing. I subbed a 10 of this card and I think the pop was only 8 or 9 (it was a few years ago).

It's one that I still would lie to upgrade, but it will have to drop a little more for me to dive in. I did receive my cards today. Will put up a few pix over the weekend.

• Options

from the set breakup, one of the tougher cards to find, only three 10's. I think the other two are tucked away in the top two sets. Hadn't come across one of these before.

• Options

Six down and (the toughest) one to go!

• Options

That Cardenal is very difficult to find !!!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    There were two PSA 9 Grote's up on EBAY; the first went of for a price tag a little over $3300. Way over what I value that card . A guy I met thru this forum wound up the winner; he had told me it was the last card he needed to have all PSA 9 or better and had been looking for a nice copy for over 4 years. His set isn't on the registry but he would be way up there, as he also has a fairly good number on 10's as well. The SCHAAL IA PSA 9 went for a few hundred less than the last few, most likely because the card seemed to be a little tilted and slightly off centered. Anyone else pick up something from that set breakup?

I won about 20 or so.

• Options

@gemint said:

I won about 20 or so.

That's good. There were some very nice cards in that set breakup.
    Last night, PWCC had a Doug Rader (#536 I think) that I was after...didn't get it. A 4 pop count, so not that easy to find in PSA10.

• Options

@gemint said:

@JRR300 said:
    There were two PSA 9 Grote's up on EBAY; the first went of for a price tag a little over $3300. Way over what I value that card . A guy I met thru this forum wound up the winner; he had told me it was the last card he needed to have all PSA 9 or better and had been looking for a nice copy for over 4 years. His set isn't on the registry but he would be way up there, as he also has a fairly good number on 10's as well. The SCHAAL IA PSA 9 went for a few hundred less than the last few, most likely because the card seemed to be a little tilted and slightly off centered. Anyone else pick up something from that set breakup?

I won about 20 or so.

Wow! good for you.

• Options

@gemint said:
    I won about 20 or so.

I was looking at your registry set. Very nice! I remember you had mentioned that just about all the 10's were ones you had submitted. Was the Durocher one of those? A very tough card to find.

• Options

I have a question and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I bought a misc lot of raw cards, mostly 72's. In with those were a few cards from the late 60's. One is PSA slabbed 1963 AUTHENTIC. Anyone have an idea what that means?

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Could be recolored, trimmed, etc. but whoever sent it to PSA requested AUTHENTIC. This lets you know that it is not a reprint , but could have some doctoring or such.

• Options

@1959 said:
    Could be recolored, trimmed, etc. but whoever sent it to PSA requested AUTHENTIC. This lets you know that it is not a reprint , but could have some doctoring or such.

OK thanks. I'm assuming that if I wanted it graded, I would send it back to PSA? The card itself is off centered, but otherwise looks very good.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@1959 said:

OK thanks. I'm assuming that if I wanted it graded, I would send it back to PSA? The card itself is off centered, but otherwise looks very good.

Does it look undersized? Maybe it is from a presentation set.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@JRR300 said:

@1959 said:

Does it look undersized? Maybe it is from a presentation set.

I looks like a regular sized card. I didn't have another card from 1963, but I put another card up against the holder and they seem to be the same size. Maybe it is trimmed a little, but I can't tell. I purchased a small lot and he threw it in because he's cleaning out . He tells me he got it when he bought a rather large collection and this was in with it. I've not seen anything with that description before.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

@gemint said:
    I won about 20 or so.

I was looking at your registry set. Very nice! I remember you had mentioned that just about all the 10's were ones you had submitted. Was the Durocher one of those? A very tough card to find.

Yes the Durocher was a self submitted card. I had that graded about 15 years ago. I think I pulled it from one of the sets I bought.

• Options

Just thought I'd put this out here; I've already posted it on the B/S/T board. Before I send these for consignment, I have about 120 PSA 8 and 80 PSA 9 (no qualifiers) available. Would prefer to move here rather than send out for consignment or list on EBAY. Anyone interested, please PM me. Looking to raise some cash for a few cards I need that have become available. Thanks.

• Options

Paul, just sent you a PM. Let me know if I can help you out. Thanks.

• Options

Just had my first batch of consignment cards wrap up last night. Nothing but baseball 72's, just 8's and 9's, but prices on this set continue to amaze me. Was watching a Ryan PSA 9 the other night; wound up going for $1800!

• Options

Soliciting opinions on the value of a PSA 10 Clemente, #309. I realize the 10's on just about all star cards have gone through the roof. I was thinking $6k is a fair price; am I in the ballpark here?

• Options

There have been four PWCC sales since 2017:

5859 (August of 2020 - Covid era)

PWCC is getting the highest prices on average, so I can’t see why it should be worth more than $6K now.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    There have been four PWCC sales since 2017:

5859 (August of 2020 - Covid era)

PWCC is getting the highest prices on average, so I can’t see why it should be worth more than $6K now.

Thanks. I had seen them earlier, but with the recent craziness in the prices, I thought I might be off target. There's one up on EBAY now; it went up shortly after I put up my last post. The auction ends in 6 days, so we shall soon see.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 7:42AM

Can anyone with access to past prices tell me the last couple of sales for 3 cards?

257 Tiger's rookies in PSA 9
    279 Larry Brown in PSA 9
    333 Steve Barber in PSA 9

Thanks for any help.

Nick

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Can anyone with access to past prices tell me the last couple of sales for 3 cards?

257 Tiger's rookies in PSA 9
    279 Larry Brown in PSA 9
    333 Steve Barber in PSA 9

Thanks for any help.

Nick

Not sure if you checked the "Auction Prices" tab at the top. Either way, looks like the Tigers Rookies card has the lowest PSA 9 pop count of the 3. Probably worth somewhere in the $50-60 range. The other two have higher pop counts, don't seem all that difficult, probably in the $20-25 range. Just remember that in this current climate where prices are just crazy, prices could be higher. Hope that helps.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:
    Not sure if you checked the "Auction Prices" tab at the top. Either way, looks like the Tigers Rookies card has the lowest PSA 9 pop count of the 3. Probably worth somewhere in the $50-60 range. The other two have higher pop counts, don't seem all that difficult, probably in the $20-25 range. Just remember that in this current climate where prices are just crazy, prices could be higher. Hope that helps.

Thanks you very much for that Joe, I appreciate it.

I did not check the auction prices tab, but I will from now on. My primitive brain always thinks VCP and I forget that the auction prices tab exists.

Regards, Nick

• Options

Listed 17 PSA 9, 3 PSA 8.5 and 3 PSA 8 thru 4SC on consignment. Went up Thursday night, end next Sunday.

• Options

The guy who had the #2 set in the PSA Registry (listed under "131313") has retired his set, and has consigned it to Heritage. Will be auctioned off sometime in the fall.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    The guy who had the #2 set in the PSA Registry (listed under "131313") has retired his set, and has consigned it to Heritage. Will be auctioned off sometime in the fall.

That guy is clearly quite wealthy. I’m not sure what drives him, I guess he likes being number 1 and didn’t think that was possible in this case. He got pretty close though.

• Options

I wish I had known he needed the Don Baylor PSA 10, I would have offered it to him for ten grand 😂

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    I wish I had known he needed the Don Baylor PSA 10, I would have offered it to him for ten grand 😂

He probably would have paid you more!!!!!! He had some crazy snipe bids. He said he retired multiple sets; it was getting to be a storage issue.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

some people cant stand being #2 lol

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@JRR300 said:

That guy is clearly quite wealthy. I’m not sure what drives him, I guess he likes being number 1 and didn’t think that was possible in this case. He got pretty close though.

He is retiring many #1 sets also... though.....

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

He is retiring many #1 sets also...

Seems like he has quite a few. I wonder what he'll move on to next? Just wish I had a shot at some of those 72's before auction. Not sure how they will offer them. The last time I saw one of this magnitude was about 5 years ago and they listed each card individually. Wouldn't mind that now.

• Options

he retired his Adolfo Phillips and Ramon Webster Sets .......

I'm back at #1 WOHOO lol

• Options

Showing my age here, but I remember when Phillips broke in with the Phillies.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@lawyer05 said:

Seems like he has quite a few. I wonder what he'll move on to next? Just wish I had a shot at some of those 72's before auction. Not sure how they will offer them. The last time I saw one of this magnitude was about 5 years ago and they listed each card individually. Wouldn't mind that now.

i notice he retired his Adolfo > @JRR300 said:

@lawyer05 said:

i dont think he will sell directly, he paid quite heavy on some cards....

• Options

I emailed already. He's already consigned it for the fall.

• Options

I have a registry question. I thought that once a set was retired, it's contents then became public for all to view. Is that correct?

• Options

There were quite a few PSA 9 difficult to find HOF cards on the Heritage auction last night. Most wound up being reasonable, compared to recent sales. A Fisk rookie PSA 10 sold for $49800 which includes the buyers premium. Anyone get any of those?
    There were also 3 lots, 2 twelve card PSA 10 lots and a 221 card PSA 9 lot. couldn't justify puuling the trigger for the one or two cards needed in each lot.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 3:55PM

@JRR300 I think auction houses are not the best venue for this kind of stuff with the exception of major stars. I just don’t ever bid with auction houses, so I am completely oblivious. It seems like they would get way more eyes on eBay. I understand it for a $50,000 item, but not common 9s and 10s. In fact, some of the lowest prices I have ever seen for 1972 PSA 10s was a Heritage Sunday auction in December, 2017.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @JRR300 I think auction houses are not the best venue for this kind of stuff with the exception of major stars. I just don’t ever bid with auction houses, so I am completely oblivious. It seems like they would get way more eyes on eBay. I understand it for a $50,000 item, but not common 9s and 10s. In fact, some of the lowest prices I have ever seen for 1972 PSA 10s was a Heritage Sunday auction in December, 2017.

I do remember that auction; it was a buyer's market. Each card being listed individually contributed to that. I do agree that a house like PWCC would have been a better choice for the PSA 9 cards for Ryan, Jackson, Fisk, etc. Then again, the PSA 9 Seaver went for almost $2000, which IMO is more than it's worth. Hell the PSA 10 Fisk rookie sold for just shy of $50K....I didn't understand that one at all.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 9:20PM

@JRR300

Was that 2017 Heritage auction the breaking of bnovick’s set?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @JRR300

Was that 2017 Heritage auction the breaking of bnovick’s set?

yes it was. But the numbers I was referring to were from the cards that just sold a few days ago. Just my observation that breaking up an entire set is best done over a period of time. There aren't that many guys just buying high end cards for a set; looking more for the stars and the short pops. A few years ago, there were two guys buying any 72 that was out there. One guy "bulldog" must have had unlimited funds as he bought every card at crazy high prices. Ended on the registry at #2 and just recently retired his set. Says he's going to run it thru Heritage in the fall.