Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    The constant stream of "new blood" and cash that comes in to this great set never ceases to amaze me . Hats off to the 72 's !
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Sorry for the Spam - but its 72 Spam...

Since I put my 72 set to rest last year, I've been coming across some oddball items here and there that I'm selling off to help finance the completion of my 71 set. I just put a 72 4th Series Uncut Sheet on eBay which will close in about a week (if the BIN isn't hit). Its a nice display piece in a large "Card Saver" and contains roughly half the cards from the 4th Series because Topps produced 2 different sheets for each series - this one includes HOF'ers Bench, Jackson, B. Williams, Seaver and Lemon.

Here's a link to the auction:

72 4th Series Uncut Sheet on eBay

I figured that it was time to get it out of my house when my 3 year old niece started looking at it with the little safety scissors in her hands...

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Good luck Frank!

The Nettles ended at $900 in case anyone was wondering and was too lazy to click the link. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    wonder where this one (1972 Topps BB #524 Armbrister RC PSA 9) ends at? 400-550?
    LINKY
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wonder where this one (1972 Topps BB #524 Armbrister RC PSA 9) ends at? 400-550?
    LINKY >>

It should be interresting...........pjpmint is probably the high bidder right now since he is not a sniper.....

.......The card isn't in my future....
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    I thought 707 Sportscards had the most ridiculous opening bids for 1972's, but now it looks like Surfcitycards has usurped his title! I've bought PSA 10's for less than he's asking for the same card in PSA 9.
  • Options
    OK, so I bought a PSA 9 card from NPS on eBay. I've seen posts (I can't remember where) that they're some kind of salvage operation, selling items that carriers have paid insurance claims on and taken - I don't know if there's any truth to that though. Anyway, they list all their PSA items as having scratched cases and the scans make it look like there's possibly some kind of stain on the back of the cards. they also charge around $8 for UPS shipping.

Well, my card arrived today and there's a minor scratch on the back of the slab, but other than that, it's exactly what I wanted. The funny thing is that they shipped it in 13x10x16 box.

However, the card is in somebody's registry set, so I can't add it to mine!
  • Options
    Joe,

You have a link to that auction as i am curious.......?

...on another note I think you won a Vida Blue PSA 9 from 4SC. The scan appeared to have some sort of odd line on it which kept me away...i will be curious how that card come out....

• Options

<< <i>Joe,

You have a link to that auction as i am curious.......?

Yes I also won 15 cards from NPS (shipping 24.31), with the thought that if the case is to damaged or scratched that i would send it to psa to be reholdered.

Here is the link to one of cards I won cracked case.Linky

Here is NPS Warranty Sytatement:"The NPS Store is a freight recovery company that buys and sells freight that has been lost or otherwise miss-directed in shipping. We are not dealers for the product we sell and therefore do not guarantee that manufacturers will honor their warranties.
  • Options
    my cards showed up today from NPS about 1/3 would go into my set, the rest were entered into someone else's set, the cards were damage free except 2 one a very light scratch and the one which is cracked but the card is fine will send it to be reholdered, real happy except for not being able to add some to my set.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is the link to one of cards I won cracked case.Linky

The damage to Diamondman's Will IA was stated in the listing.

Here's a link to the card I bought (hopefully) Simpson.

Diamondman - were you able to add yours to the PSA Set Registry? That's a lot of cool PSA-graded cards that got lost in transit?
  • Options
    Hello,
    I just purchased 4 PSA graded 1972 topps cards from user also. I tried to add them to my set registry but I they were part of another set. Corsetta then emails me to tell me that these were reported stolen. When I contacted NPS I got this: Hi,
    We are a freight recovery company, we buy lost, damaged, refused or otherwise mis-directed freight. These were probably lost in shipping, but reported stolen. The original sender received a claim from the shipping company that we purchased them from. Because the sender was paid a claim, they were legally ours to sell to you. If you would like to return them let us know, otherwise you can give us the contact information of the PSA and we can sort it out for you. Please let us know.
    Thanks
    NPS Store Ebay Sales Dept.
    None has contacted me about the cards and it has been a week. I still cannot add them to my set!! 1 of the plaques were scratched but the others were fine. alink to one of the autions below,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260121270944&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

Dwayne

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is the link to one of cards I won cracked case.Linky

The damage to Diamondman's Will IA was stated in the listing.

Here's a link to the card I bought (hopefully) Simpson.

Diamondman - were you able to add yours to the PSA Set Registry? That's a lot of cool PSA-graded cards that got lost in transit? >>

Hello Joe, very happy with cards I knew the Maurry Wills IA was cracked case but for 12.00 bucks + shipping + 6-9 to reholder I am happy considering one 438 PSA 8 the same day went for 70.00 + , was able to add 6 of 15 to my set registry the others would not go. 13 of 15 were damage + scratch FREE. my cards also came in a 13x10x16 box.( hey I can use those white peanuts).
  • Options
    Dewayne, how was the Bench IA condition (cracked case or just scratched?

Dewayne's Link:link
  • Options
    The Bench case was scratched but the others were OK.
  • Options
    Hey Mike. I gave you a break on that Wills IA!! I just got one and stopped bidding on it. I hate to run the bid up on you guys but I only need a few more so I'm bidding more than usual. I',m about 95% complete including the ones in transit & the ones from NPS I cannot add yet.
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Mike. I gave you a break on that Wills IA!! I just got one and stopped bidding on it. I hate to run the bid up on you guys but I only need a few more so I'm bidding more than usual. I',m about 95% complete including the ones in transit & the ones from NPS I cannot add yet. >>

Good Luck, on the rest that you need, it gets really tough the last 10 or 20 cards,
    especially if you are going for all 8's and 9's, which is what I hope to upgrade my set to someday, have like 3 -7's and getting ready to add another 7 as soon as my PSA submission shows up. certain numbers I have nightmares about, like 40, 94, 150, 292,518, 524, 532,533, 582, 670, 673, 708,723,757 and I am sure some other numbers I have forgot about.
  • Options
    582 is the only PSA 7 left in my set. I've been saving my money for two years so that I can make a crazy-high bid when one finally hits eBay.
  • Options
    diamondman... I actually have a PSA-8 Foli IA (#708). I will be putting it up on ebay soon if you're interested in it.

FYI, I also currently have the almost-as-tough Murcer IA (#700) PSA-8 up right now here: 1972 Murcer IA PSA 8
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options

<< <i>diamondman... I actually have a PSA-8 Foli IA (#708). I will be putting it up on ebay soon if you're interested in it.

FYI, I also currently have the almost-as-tough Murcer IA (#700) PSA-8 up right now here: 1972 Murcer IA PSA 8 >>

Yes definitely interested in the foli 708 already have the murcer ia #700.
  • Options
    Cool... I'll let you know when I get the Foli posted. I don't have any of the other #'s graded, but I most likely have them raw. Probably about 50-60% of my 72 raw would grade in the 8-9 range, I just haven't got around to sending them into PSA yet. When I get a chance, I'll check for those numbers and see what I have.
    Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I also sent in 2 sharp centered #94. I will let you know how that turns out.
    D.
  • Options
    Geez, I guess someone really wants this Murcer.
    LINK
  • Options
    I got the same e-mail from Cosetta about the NPS cards being reported as stolen.

"You have attempted to add the following card to your set:

######## 1972 TOPPS WAYNE SIMPSON 762

The owner has informed us that this, along with several other cards have been stolen and that he has filed a report. Will you allow me to pass along your contact information? This way, you, along with the authorities, will be able to aid in resolving this matter."
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, I guess someone really wants this Murcer.
    LINK >>

WoW! Went for over 3x the SMR! Hopefully my IA version will get similar attention... although it's only at $19.50 now with about 1.5 days to go. I think I'm going to have to take a hard look through the rest of my 72's for low pop possible 8/9's. Seems like a good way to possibly make some quick $$$image
    Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>

LINK >>

WoW! Went for over 3x the SMR! Hopefully my IA version will get similar attention... although it's only at $19.50 now with about 1.5 days to go. I think I'm going to have to take a hard look through the rest of my 72's for low pop possible 8/9's. Seems like a good way to possibly make some quick $$$image >>

Seller lucked out on that one......two bidders who wanted it bad........that is usually a $35 card on ebay.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

LINK >>

WoW! Went for over 3x the SMR! Hopefully my IA version will get similar attention... although it's only at $19.50 now with about 1.5 days to go. I think I'm going to have to take a hard look through the rest of my 72's for low pop possible 8/9's. Seems like a good way to possibly make some quick $$$image >>

Seller lucked out on that one......two bidders who wanted it bad........that is usually a $35 card on ebay. >>

Actually, if you look at the bidding history, you''ll see that there were 3 people willing to pay $75 or more. Hopefully those same 3 guys need the IA versionimage
    Jim G
  • Options
    OK... I finally got my Foli IA posted on ebay.

Here's the link: 72 Topps Tim Foli IA - PSA 8

PM also sent to diammondman per his request.
    Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>OK... I finally got my Foli IA posted on ebay.

Here's the link: 72 Topps Tim Foli IA - PSA 8

PM also sent to diammondman per his request. >>

You will definitily do well on that one...............Thankfully i do not need it!!

• Options
    Yeah... when I checked it first thing this morning, I was surprised to see that it's already at almost double SMR value! Most of my auctions have taken at least several days to gain bidding momentum, and none have gone for over their SMR value (well, except for the Murcer IA that ends tonight). The Foli IA is apparently one of the toughest finds in this set.
    Jim G
  • Options

• Options

• Options

<< <i>The Foli IA is apparently one of the toughest finds in this set. >>

It used to be one of the toughest cards in the set, but it isn't anymore. What works well for you as a seller is that most people still think it's still one of the five toughest and remember what it used to go for and so it goes for well over $100 every time. Yours will too!
  • Options
    So, the fact that my Murcer IA went for 3x the SMR value and that apparently my Foli IA should go for up to 10x its SMR, really got me thinking hard about the populations for this set. I guess I am really lucky because this is really the only set that I have the majority of, mainly due to me liking the look of it so much back when I was in school and trading early 80's cards to a friend for some of his inhereted collection of 60-70's cards. Anyway... I digress...

I guess my main question for those of you who have been on this board longer than I is... for the 72 set, can you really just crunch the pop numbers to come up with the cards that will go for the most in 8-9-10 condition?

Here's what I've done so far... I dumped the entire population report into Excel. My first crack was identifying all cards with a population of less than 40 in PSA 8. From there, I'm looking at how many 9's & 10's there are (I'm not counting 9Q's and 8Q's as those theoretically should go for less than an 8NQ), which in almost all cases, is very few when the 8 pop is low. Just looking at it from this perspective, these would be the toughest cards:

#532 Kendall - 8 (14), 9 (5), 10 (0)
    #582 Expos - 8 (19), 9 (4), 10 (0)
    #533 Houk - 8 (25), 9 (5), 10 (0)
    #296 Dietz IA - 8 (25), 9 (8), 10 (1)
    #40 Barton IA - 8(27), 9 (4), 10 (0)
    #292 McRae IA - 8(28), 9 (2), 10 (0)
    #170 Blue IA - 8(28), 9 (3), 10 (0)
    #708 Foli IA - 8(28), 9 (5), 10 (0)

Based on this methodology, these would be probably the 8 toughest cards. Yes, the Foli IA may not be top 5 but it's still very very close to it. To me, it looks like the Kendall and Expos team are by far the toughest. I don't think my Expos team card would grade higher than a 7, but that may even be worth it with those pops for 8 and above.

Of the handful that I have had graded already, I've got what looks like a few PSA-8 of the around the top 40 toughest anyway:

#692 Blefary IA - 8 (35), 9 (10), 10 (0)
    #758 Garrido - 8 (37), 9 (12), 10 (0)
    #720 McDowell - 8 (32), 9 (21), 10 (2)

Anyway, just looking for some validation of this method or any tips you can provide. I want to send more in for grading but can't afford to get them all done at once, so need to prioritize.

Thanks!

Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>#532 Kendall - 8 (14), 9 (5), 10 (0)
    >>

Some would say the McRae IA is the toughest because there are only two 9's and no 10's. I think the Foli IA has seen a big pop increase in the past five years. It used to be that a low-pop card was one with less than 20 PSA 8's. I'd bet that Jami can provide some historical population numbers (don't let me down, Jami!) to show how the pops have changed over the years. You'll be surprised to see how many cards that used to be low pops have jumped up, you'll also be surprised at how few PSA 8+ Kendalls have been graded in the past 5 years.

Many cards not on your list are considered tough - Gardner, Henderson IA, Aaron IA, Reds Rookies, Cardenal Traded, Santorini, Marshall... to name a few. Sometimes, people pay more for cards because they used to be low pop, even though they aren't anymore... that's why cards like the Sam McDowell (one of which I currently have for sale on eBay) often go for less than cards with higher pops.

Another thing to consider is that many of the pops numbers are overstated as collectors buy PSA 8's and crack them out of the slab and send them back in to PSA with the hopes of getting a 9. I know some who've sent the same card in 4 or 5 times. Since PSA doesn't know it's the same card, the PSA 8 population is increased by 5, even though there's only one slabbed card.

The Houk is a good example - for years, it wasn't considered tough, but as time passed, most of the low pops caught up to, and in most cases passed it. Suddenly, it's one of the top 5 toughest cards in the set.

So, after all that rambling, the best way to figure out which cards are the toughest is to look at the registry sets and see what cards the top guys are missing. If 5 out of the top 10 sets are missing the same card, you can ignore the pop numbers, 'cause that card's gonna bring some big $$$.
  • Options
    I couldn't let Joe down.........

Pop report:
    Today:
    532 Kendall - 8 (14), 9 (5), 10 (0)

POP REPORT
    3/13/05
    #532 Kendall 8 (10), 9 (5)
    #582 Expos 8 (16), 9 (3)
    #533 Houk 8 (13), 9 (4)
    #296 DietzIA 8 (16), 9 (6) 10 (1)
    #40 Barton IA 8 (16), 9 (3)
    #292 McRae IA 8 (18),9 (1)
    #170 Blue IA 8 (13), 9 (1)
    #708 Foli IA 8 (16), 9 (3)

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    And even if the numbers don't bear it out - the Aaron IA is an extremely tough card given the centering. With all the set collectors, including HOF, Player and Team sets - this is probably the most sought after tough card in the set. The PSA 9's have gone for over $1500.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Many good points... thanks for the feedback so far! Thanks also for that historical data... very interesting to see the trends.

I'll have to check my Aaron IA but I suspect it is probably not gradeable due to bad centering. The real pitty is that I have a regular 72 Aaron that I sent in that is one of the sharpest corner and centering wise that I own. Unfortunately, it has a slight water stain on the bottom front and therefore got a PSA-5image Without that stain, it would have been an easy 8 and possible 9 imo.

Just checked my Kendall... perfect centering on the back, 4 nice and sharp corners, no worse than 55/45 front L/R centering... and... about 90/10 front T/B centeringimageimageimage!!!

I don't appear to have the Houk, which is strange, but maybe it is somewhere else. Luckily, it looks like my Expos team card is in better shape than expected. No chance for a 9 or 10... but I think probably a 7 conservatively.
    Jim G
  • Options
    You will find that the tough cards are always OC the same way. It has to do with how the card was placed on the sheet.

• Options
    I currently have 3 PSA-8 72's up on ebay: Foli IA #708, Reed #787, and Kaline #600. Here are the links and ending times for those of you who are interested:

Foli IA #708 - End tonight!

Kaline #600 - Ends Wednesday

Reed #787 - Ends Thursday

I've got a few more PSA-8 low pops that I should be posting later in the week: McDowell #720 & Garrido #758

Thanks!
    Jim G
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Hi,

I have a 1972 Topps #559 Pete Rose that is a BGS 9; subgrades of 9.5, 10, 9.5, and an 8.5 surface. I'm selling it to help finance another set. The subgrades speak for themselves. PM me if anyone is interested. Looking for SMR or thereabouts. Can send a digital photo.

Best,
    MC
  • Options
    Does anybody else think it's odd that the counter on this auction is over 600? 1972 PSA 9 Dick Allen
  • Options
    Heck... that's nothing. Check the count on my PSA-8 Reed (link above)... it's at 638 already and still has 2.5 days to go! I posted about this in the main forum thinking it was weird, and the thought is that it's an ebay counter malfunction. Seems right to me as there is really no other explanation that I can think of. Weird thing is, the hit count on this was well under 50 after 2+ days, then it just started to go crazy out of nowhere!
    Jim G
  • Options
    well my 1988 topps ron gant has 14,000,000 hits but is is only bid up to 33 cents. psa 12.66
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Mike. I gave you a break on that Wills IA!! I just got one and stopped bidding on it. I hate to run the bid up on you guys but I only need a few more so I'm bidding more than usual. I',m about 95% complete including the ones in transit & the ones from NPS I cannot add yet. >>

Good Luck, on the rest that you need, it gets really tough the last 10 or 20 cards,
    especially if you are going for all 8's and 9's, which is what I hope to upgrade my set to someday, have like 3 -7's and getting ready to add another 7 as soon as my PSA submission shows up. certain numbers I have nightmares about, like 40, 94, 150, 292,518, 524, 532,533, 582, 670, 673, 708,723,757 and I am sure some other numbers I have forgot about. >>

Hey Mike... Congrats on winning my Foli IA auction. I was hoping you would win it! Now that's one of the tough ones you can cross off your list! I sent you a PM...
    Jim G
  • Options
    I wonder what this McCovey PSA-10 1/1 will end up going for?!?!

72 PSA-10 McCovey

It's already at $664 with over 5 days to go. My guess... $1,416.33
    Jim G
  • Options
    Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys, just wanted to update you on a few low-pop 72's I have up on ebay:

PSA-8 Reed #787 (ends in 20 minutes)

PSA-8 Garrido #758 (ends in 5 days)

PSA-8 McDowell #720 (ends in 7 days)

PSA-8 Hopkins #728 (ends in 7 days) >>

The Reed card went for maybe a few bucks above average.

• Options
    Yeah, I probably missed the window to get a premium on that oneimage Heard it's gone for $60-70 in the past...

Still, with only nine 9's and no 10's out there, I was kind of hoping it would push near $40-50, but I suppose that the availability of 49 other 8's is what did me in.

Interestingly enough, my Murcer IA went for 3X SMR there are quite a bit more of those 8, 9 & 10 out there (66, 18 & 2). I guess this proves it's not ONLY about the populations. But I suspect that what you guys have been saying about the historically tough cards probably influenced the Murcer as well. Probably was one of the toughest a few years back, and people still think it is even though by strictly numbers, it's probably not even in the top 100 toughest any more.

Anyway, this is fascinating stuff! Now to see if I can remove that gum from my otherwise-sharp Barton IA!!!
    Jim G
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Does anyone have a PSA 8 Bill Buckner for sale?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg