Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Joe, are these from your sales?

I have a Santorini and a Kendall at PSA and I'm hoping for at least an 8 on those! The Kendall has a real shot, but the Santorini has an outside shot. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, are these from your sales? >>

Yep.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Schaal IA is only selling for $25 now? That card used to sell for $150+ back in the day.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Thats right John...

And you could go to the movies on Saturday with a dime and have 5 cents left over for a soda and a big bag of popcorn....image (your showing your age!)

The pop report has definitely changed since we started building these graded sets 7 or 8 years ago. Mickey Stanley was one of the last 8 cards I needed in order to complete the set in PSA 8/9. I just picked up a PSA 9 for less than $20. Larry Stahl used to be tough too. Now he's not even amongst the top 50 toughest.

Frank
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Hey Arny, good luck on that Kendall! I feel like I'm personally responsible for most of the PSA 7's in population. I've been lucky pulling some great low pop's from wax (eg. Mcrae IA PSA 8!) but that Kendall kills me everytime...
    Dwayne
  • Options

<< <i>Hey Arny, good luck on that Kendall! I feel like I'm personally responsible for most of the PSA 7's in population. I've been lucky pulling some great low pop's from wax (eg. Mcrae IA PSA 8!) but that Kendall kills me everytime...
    Dwayne >>

Thanks Dwayne! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats right John...

And you could go to the movies on Saturday with a dime and have 5 cents left over for a soda and a big bag of popcorn....image (your showing your age!)

The pop report has definitely changed since we started building these graded sets 7 or 8 years ago. Mickey Stanley was one of the last 8 cards I needed in order to complete the set in PSA 8/9. I just picked up a PSA 9 for less than $20. Larry Stahl used to be tough too. Now he's not even amongst the top 50 toughest.

Frank >>

I believe I had the first 9 of the Stahl. People used to PM me all the time asking me to sell that card. Should have done so.
  • Options
    And I paid dearly for some Pop 1/1 PSA 9's that are now Pop 30+.

If we only knew....

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Frank, I've always been torn on those low pop cards. I mean, on one hand, you want to keep those in your collection because they were so difficult and/or expensive to get in the first place. But, on the other hand, you can always be patient and let the pops rise and pick up the cards at the right time. Tough decisions, huh?

The decisions are easier when you get to the modern ones (like my '84 Donruss set), but it's still tough with those as well.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Sorry to intrude on your 72 Topps thread Arny..... I was noticing you were close to finishing your 75 Topps Mini Set.... Fine Job! I might have a few you need in my 2nd set on the Registry "TAB's 1975 Topps Mini's". Check it out and let me know on the 75 Topps Mini Thread if I have any you need and I'll sell them to you at a very reasonable price..... image Best of luck with your 72 Topps Set as well .... image

My e-mail has changed and I've noted the new e-mail on the 75 Mini thread.

Regards,

T. Allan
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Seems to me that the seller of this LOT would do better selling the cards individually.

• Options
    Wow, nice lot there. Someone just starting out could end up with a good deal there.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, nice lot there. Someone just starting out could end up with a good deal there. >>

or an astute buyer could turn a profit!!

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow, nice lot there. Someone just starting out could end up with a good deal there. >>

or an astute buyer could turn a profit!! >>

At this point, exactly right. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    just "re-found" a box of graded 72's I had misplaced....only 8's I have are as follows: 173, 146, 206, 201, 258, 401, 443, 161, 602, 624, 627, 662. I also have a PSA 7 #117 Cleo James which has noted Yellow under "C" and "S". If anyone could shed some light on that I'd be curious....anyways if anyone needs any of the PSA 8's I've noted let me know and we can work something out since I"m not pursuing the set..

thanks

al.
  • Options
    Hey Al. I asked the same question about the "yellow under" or "green under" awhile back. All you want to know was answered here in the forum. I'm looking for the thread now. If one of the old pros finds it before I do I'm sure they will post it for you.
    dwayne
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    The early series 1 print runs had the c and s in cubs printed in green and the u and b printed in yellow, was corrected so that all 4 letters were yellow. Here is an example of the green under the c and s:

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Most of the PSA slabbed cards labeled "Green under the letters" are really the yellow version, making it much more confusing. Real green-letter versions are much tougher than yellows.
  • Options
    I agree with Joe. There are so many mislabeled ones that it really causes so much of the confusion. Any new news from '72 collectors? Joe, did you officially start another set yet? Jami, any new upgrades? Frank, you reaching your own goals right now with the set?

By the way, that lot that Jami talked about is still sitting at less than $350. There's a good $600 or so of cards there. So, barely over half and still a very good deal. I hope someone here on the boards gets it! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    thanks everyone for the info....also as an update the following cards are no longer available: 161, 401, 443, 624, 627 and 662. Glad I could help someone out on their pursuit....

al.
  • Options
    Arny,

So far so good. I just finished up a trade with Bill Novick for a Bonds IA that he needed to upgrade and got an offer of 3 upgrades in return! Helluva nice guy that Bill. He's running into the same problems that I ran into the summer of 06. Guys with MUCH BIGGER wallets are making it very expensive to keep upgrading over 9.00.

I'm just waiting on one more card to arrive to hit the 100% mark again. 99.87% complete in PSA 8/9 (Damned Expos team...) I'll be at 8.42 and 100% within a week.

I'll continue to upgrade cheaply when I can.

Now to get the 72 O-PEE-CHEE set to 100%!

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Here's an interesting story (while not a 1972 story, still interesting I think).

In December I bought a PSA 8 1969 Topps Decal Mickey Mantle from 4SC. I was looking at my registry set the other day and noticed that it was showing as a PSA 7. Hmmm, I thought, why would I buy a PSA 7? So, I pulled the card out of its box and sure enough, the slip reads PSA 8. Maybe I typed the number in wrong and just happened to hit a PSA 7 Mantle from the same set by mistake. A quick cert check also showed the card as a PSA 7.

So, I sent a note to PSA to let them know that they had the card entered incorrectly in their registry database, thinking that would fix things.

PSA responded and said that the card was a PSA 7 and fell under the "Mechanical error" category and if I sent it in they'd correct it and issue me a credit for my shipping.

As you might have guessed, I'm kinda pissed that I spent $75 on this card thinking I was buying a PSA 8. I sent a note to 4SC saying I wanted to return the card and get my $75 back or exchange it for a real PSA 8. I'll keep you all posted as to how it plays out.
  • Options
    PSA has said they'll make things right if the card turns out to be a 7. I'm happy with them.
  • Options
    Joe, I wanted to be post #1972! image

Wow Frank...great job on getting a complete set again. A lot less taxing on the wallet this time around, huh?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Less taxing is correct!

And for anyone who is thinking about doing this set - I would MOST DEFINITELY recommend buying in bulk wherever you can. Its cheaper to buy groups of 100, 200, etc and sell off the dups rather than buying one card at a time.

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>Joe, I wanted to be post #1972! image >>

Sorry, a year or so ago, I was looking to be post #787 but it didn't work out for me either.image
  • Options
    Its a good thing PSA will make it right because 4 sharp corners sure as hell won't! Speaking of those lieing B eye astards. Does anyone know if they are also newenglandsportscards as well? I tried to bid on a 400 card 1972 lot tonight and got a blocked bidder response. The only ebay user that has blocked my bids was 4SC. They blocked me after reading the post here about that Foli IA deal awhile back.
    Dwayne
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Newengland & 4SC are one and the same.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I've read posts the New England Sportscards is where they dump all of their ungradeable (by PSA standards) stuff. True or not, I do not know.
  • Options
    Yup, the same company/people.

Plus, their piss poor customer service got even worse (if you can believe that). I was working with them on combining some auctions that were under the same ID, but not showing under the same invoice. Things seemed to be in line and I was going to pay (after a few days of asking to make sure that everything was correct) and got hit with three unpaid strikes for the three auctions. image

So, eBay (in their infinite wisdom) puts me in NARU mode for a suspension due to unpaid strikes. Then, another two sellers notice this NARU status and hit me with strikes. I'm resolving these one by one (with another unpaid strike that I got years ago which was resolved, but never showed in eBay's records), but meanwhile I'm still dealing with not being able to buy or sell on eBay until this last guy removes his.

All of this because 4SC (who I've purchased from HUNDREDS of times before) decided to not exercise some patience. I'm assuming someone didn't talk to the other someone and they did this. At any rate, I'm trying to get everything resolved but one guy is really being a bum about lifting the strike because he already resold the item. I'm asking as a favor and he's being stubborn. I might have to lose all 1020 feedback and start over it seems. image

I wish that Naxcom had more folks selling cards there so that I could just avoid using eBay at all, but we'll see what happens.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Its a good thing PSA will make it right because 4 sharp corners sure as hell won't! Speaking of those lieing B eye astards. Does anyone know if they are also newenglandsportscards as well? I tried to bid on a 400 card 1972 lot tonight and got a blocked bidder response. The only ebay user that has blocked my bids was 4SC. They blocked me after reading the post here about that Foli IA deal awhile back.
    Dwayne >>

You didn't want to buy that lot anyway................They use this ID to sell off junk that isn't gradable.

• Options
    Arny.... glad you ignored my post on the 75 Mini's..... I mistakenly thought one of the current sets was your's.......but realized it wasn't yours..... sorry.... image
  • Options

<< <i>Arny.... glad you ignored my post on the 75 Mini's..... I mistakenly thought one of the current sets was your's.......but realized it wasn't yours..... sorry.... image >>

Whoops...didn't notice the post. image

But, I'm glad that it helped that I ignored you this time. image

Keep on going with that set of yours! It's a beautiful one!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    '72 collectors: I know there were 6 series in the 72 set, but does anyone know what card numbers each series included?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1'st series 1-132
    2'nd series 133-263
    3'rd series 264-394
    4'th series 395-525
    5'th series 526-656
    6'th series 657-787
  • Options
    thx howell.

• Options
    Something I only learned a year or two ago... series 2 - 6 each contained 131 different cards, but there's 132 cards on the uncut sheets. The 132nd card is actually the checklist for that series, originally released in the previous series.

For example, series 6 consists of cards 657 - 787 and card 604 (the sixth series checklist). So, if you opened a pack of series 6 cards, you'd be just as likely to find card 604 as you would any of the 131 true sixth series cards. It's my opinion that this explains the checklist variations.
  • Options
    For example, series 6 consists of cards 657 - 787 and card 604 (the sixth series checklist). So, if you opened a pack of series 6 cards, you'd be just as likely to find card 604 as you would any of the 131 true sixth series cards. It's my opinion that this explains the checklist variations.

Very interesting!

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Nice pants kid. It figures that a kid that was forced to wear trousers like that would end up collecting the 72 set. I see Stan Williams, Don Hahn, Lloyd Allen, Juan Pizarro, Ellie Rodriguez, Harmon Killebrew, Eddie Kasko, John Boccabella and Rangers Rookies where you can see the entire card. I can't make out that In Action card above Pizarro and is that an In Action or Playoff/WS card on the far left next to the Williams? Well, I just thought the 72 collectors would get a kick out of this picture.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    Actually...

The pants and shoes aren't accurate. But, the age, haircut and bedroom furniture look about right for me in 1972! Sure does bring back some memories!!!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Cool photo! You very rarely see actual photographs that include vintage cards!

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody hand that kid a submission form.....QUICK.
  • Options
    Or at least some Card Savers!!!!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does the seller of this auction really expect someone to bid on it without him listing the card numbers included in the auction?
  • Options
    Unseen - I would be willing to ride it up to about $100. But at that point I'd need to know the numbers and whether or not there were any qualifiers.

Some people...

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Everything that guy's ever had listed has been for ridiculously high dollars. Almost always double what the cards normally sell for.
  • Options
    I would just like to take this moment to welcome back one of the original "Fab Five" of the 72 Topps Registry.

Erik Jarvi has asked PSA to reinstate his deleted 72 Topps set (The EJ Collection - #8 Current Finest) and has once again started upgrading. For those of you who've recently joined the 72 registry - there were 5 of us that completed the set around 6 - 7 years ago - Erik Jarvi, Mike Castaldi, Neil Downey, Carlos Aponte and myself. The pop report looked A LOT different at the time with most pops in the single digits and teens in PSA 8/9. And the cards that were considered tough were much different than today. We had great comraderie and had a lot of fun building and helping each other out.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Just a note on the people referring to cards from newenglandsportscards as nongradable - nongradable means that the cards would be returned from PSA as trimmed/altered, questionable authenticity, or not meeting minimum size requirements.

I think you mean to say the cards would not be worthwhile to grade because they wouldn't grade high (although qualified cards and PSA 7s would be money losers even at their bulk submitter rate for most non-high series commons).

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Even though I think 4SC pretty much sucks, I did buy a 5 card lot of 1984 Topps Don Mattingly RC's from newenglandsportscards last year. I had 2 of them graded. I got a PSA 8 and a 10! Go figure...
    Dwayne