Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    I hope the '72 guys can help shed some light on the Cello packs from 1972 for me. I have opened a few wax packs from this year recently and have done fairly well (at least got my money back including the grading fees.) I'm watching this cello pack Ebay item #270211871723 that has 33 cards. This auction ( Item number: 320218477443) is for 3 "Grocery" cellos. I don't think these contain 33 cards each but that is all I know about them. What exactly is a 'grocery" cello? ,how many cards are in each? & are they worth buying? Thanks for any knowledge on this.
    Dwayne
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote15 would know better than me, but I dont think the 1972 "grocery cellos" are real.
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Dwayne,

I've never been a cello guy... I'm more a rack and wax pack guy. So, I can't say from personal experience. But, I believe that what Nick (nam) is saying is correct. I believe that "grocery" cellos were made at a later time than the 72 production run. You may want to start a thread titled "Grocery Cellos - Real or Repack?" and see what your response is. There are some very knowledgable pack guys on these boards. I'm just not one of them.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    They contain 10-12 cards and were NOT made by topps, if you do a search on grocery cellos there are a bunch of threads about them. They are only worth the cards showing assuming they are not trimmed.

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    Thanks guys. After alittle research it seems that any "Grocery" cello from the '70's are fake. It's a shame that they are being sold slabbed in GAI holders. Doesen't lend much credit to GAI...
    Dwayne
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 12-card grocery cellos are indeed fake and were never produced by Topps. Authentic 1972 cello packs contain 33 cards and came packaged inside an outer blue cardboard box with a slab of gum inside the cello pack. I have also seen a 25 cents test cello from 1972 that featured the printed Topps logo and label that you see commonly starting with the 1973 cellos, which was when Topps stopped using the outer cardboard box. Such a pack was deemed authentic by Steve Hart at the time and sold on ebay for a few years back just north of $1,000 as I recall. (There are also fake 12-card grocery cellos circulating from 1970 and 1971, too).

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I'm glad GAI is a joke now because of things like this
  • Options
    This thread needs kick in the pants.
  • Options
    Did anyone pick up any 72s from the recent Mile High auction? I picked up one--a PSA 10 Hahn #269 for $129 plus juice. I liked the Dyer card, too, but it went too high for me. Also got a couple 1973s, a PSA 10 McGraw and 1/3 Hennigan.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I have only added one upgrade to my set in the last two months.......and it ain't from lack of trying...

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Bump for page turn. image

• Options
    The 72s are hot right now, and prices seem to be fluctauting a great deal too, according to VCP data.

Nice card, Lostdart!

• Options
    Anybody know who delococo is? He keeps outbidding me on PSA 9's, and I aint happy. image

Edited to add: He seems to bid on any PSA 9's even if he has them already. That's not going to help anyone. He's won at least two 1972 #769 Jack Aker PSA 9 cards in the last few days.
  • Options
    Anybody know who delococo is?

I've seen him on the 'bay for the last few years, on and off, first when he was buying up a ton of unopened packs and now PSA graded cards, and when he's on he's usually very aggressive in his bidding practices, usually to the point that he overbids, IMO. These guys usually flame out after a while, though, so there's light at the end of the tunnel, but I agree with the frustration part 100%!

• Options
    He's won over 800 items this month alone. I dont care about all the other stuff he wants, if you got that kind of cash I say God bless, but stay away from the darn 72's.
  • Options
    Yipee! Pulled an 8 on my Kendall! image

I basically threw that Santorini in there as 'comparison' to give the Kendall a little boost. image

68 04407070 1972 TOPPS 723 AL SANTORINI N/A 5
    69 04407071 1972 TOPPS 532 FRED KENDALL N/A 8
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Congrats Arny! That card has been a nightmare for me...
    Dwayne
  • Options
    Thanks Dwayne! image

That was a raw pickup on eBay. So, with the grading costs and all that, I guess I paid about $15-20 image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Nice goin Arny!

Yeah the Kendall has always been a booger!!!

Frank
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    See that Arny, you picked yourself a nice booger. image
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I just had to keep diggin'
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Thats what I love about the 72 guys - CLASS!!!
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Class personified. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    My NM-NMMT raw set is now 85% complete. I think that's pretty good considering it was at 0% late last Spring. I know why they call this the Monster, not only the large number of cards, but the sheer magnitude of the high numbers. Set builders talk about, for example, the 57s SP or the 61 Highs or the 67 Highs but when you have 131 Highs as we do in the 72 set, they really add up, even getting them raw.

The two key cards that I remember from the early 80s were the Garvey and Carew. I got both of these in PSA 8 but then I was reminded of another card that I had forgotten about, the Cey/Oglivie card. I just got a nice one in PSA 7 and I think now it is the greatest looking card of the set. A very bold and sharp looking card.
  • Options

<< <i>Anybody know who delococo is? He keeps outbidding me on PSA 9's, and I aint happy. image

Edited to add: He seems to bid on any PSA 9's even if he has them already. That's not going to help anyone. He's won at least two 1972 #769 Jack Aker PSA 9 cards in the last few days. >>

Lol... you guys just better hope that Upsalaallamerican doesn't jump onto this set after he completes the ones he's been working on lately. The guy apparently has pretty much no limit on the cards he wants, and he just keeps going and going with no sign of slowing down. For one month alone he plunked down well over $16,000 for graded sports and non-sport cards. Would be interesing to see him go up against delococo though... it may end pushing some 9's over the $1,000 mark.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    Well the grades I saw by accident over 4 weeks ago finally popped yesterday, and thank goodness none of them changed. Maybe the grading tide has turned (or maybe it just matters who grades them) because on the whole I am very happy with the results.

NEAR MINT 7....................1972 TOPPS 22 ROB GARDNER
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 38 CARL YASTRZEMSKI IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 280 WILLIE McCOVEY
    MINT 9................................1972 TOPPS 285 GAYLORD PERRY
    MINT 9................................1972 TOPPS 310 ROBERTO CLEMENTE IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 517 KEN BRETT
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 540 FELIX MILLAN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 644 BERNIE ALLEN
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6.........1972 TOPPS 670 KEN HOLTZMAN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 685 JOE HORLEN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8..........1972 TOPPS 704 DOUG GRIFFIN IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 OC....1972 TOPPS 714 GENE MICHAEL IN ACTION
    NEAR MINT 7.....................1972 TOPPS 723 AL SANTORINI
    NEAR MINT 7.....................1972 TOPPS 754 FRANK ROBINSON TRADED
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6.........1972 TOPPS 756 RICK WISE TRADED
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8............1972 TOPPS 757 JOSE CARDENAL TRADED
    EXCELLENT-MINT 6.........1972 TOPPS 765 KEN McMULLEN
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8...........1972 TOPPS 777 HOYT WILHELM
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8...........1972 TOPPS 787 RON REED
  • Options
    Not bad Nick.......the Cardenal is the toughest of the bunch!! Good catch!!

• Options
    In my quest to upgrade I had a first....from a PSA 8 TO A PSA 10:

• Options
    Wow, nice one Jami. As nice of a surprise as that is, it's a little perplexing that they could have gotten it so wrong the first time around (or on the resub).
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, nice one Jami. As nice of a surprise as that is, it's a little perplexing that they could have gotten it so wrong the first time around (or on the resub). >>

Oh no.....it wasn't a resubmission........just a purchase....

• Options

<< <i>Oh no.....it wasn't a resubmission........just a purchase.... >>

Duh....I thought you meant that you sent it in as a cracked out 8 and got back a 10. Nevermind. You had an 8 and now purchased a 10. Don't worry, I'll be fine.
  • Options
    ... image

• Options
    Norm Cash a pop 50 in PSA 8 is almost up to 400.00. I haven't been keeping up at all lately but this seems crazy, what gives ?
    Whoever said we wash away with the rain ?
  • Options

<< <i>Norm Cash a pop 50 in PSA 8 is almost up to 400.00. I haven't been keeping up at all lately but this seems crazy, what gives ? >>

Mic,

there is a PSA 9 Cash up this week also.......bet that it will break $1500 - $2000

• Options

<< <i>Anybody know who delococo is? He keeps outbidding me on PSA 9's, and I aint happy. image

Edited to add: He seems to bid on any PSA 9's even if he has them already. That's not going to help anyone. He's won at least two 1972 #769 Jack Aker PSA 9 cards in the last few days. >>

Why do they buy multiples of the same card in the same grade?
    I have a guy doing the same thing with 73's. He has bought (2) 9's and a 10 of the same card over the last few weeks.
  • Options
    Snagged this on the BIN "waiver wire" $99.95

• Options
    NICE CARD! How do you list a new message in this thread or do you always have to hit the reply??
  • Options
    Wanted to share a story that happened to me in the last few weeks. Some of you know that I buy 1972 topps PSA graded cards. I also sell them whenever I can. Whenever I do sell them, I always wrap the cards in bubble wrap,then wrap the bubble wrap with mailing tape, then wrap that with newspaper.I put this in a 9 x 6 envelope and send it off with delivery confirmation.

A couple of weeks ago(around Feb 18th), a person(name is Pat and it could be male or female) purchased two 1072 PSA cards from me. I packed
    them as stated above and sent them off with del.confirmation.About five days later,on a Friday evening, I get an email from this person saying
    they received the card but it has stains on the back of the card and it was damaged and she/he wanted a refund for it.

I really thought that he/she had the wrong person because there were two cards in plastic holders and no stains because the cards were PSA 8 graded. I said that I didn't refund graded cards,he/she didn't request any insurance, that Paypal had insurance for transactions,and that's where he/she could go.I stated that I had a delivery confirmation slip which proved that I sent the cards. This Pat said that he/she would file a dispute with Paypal.

I said I doubted that the card was damaged because he/she didn't mention the second card, and that graded cards don't have stains on the back.
    I had planned to leave the country for a week's vacation beginning early on March 1st,a Saturday morning and returning on Saturday March 8th,
    Well, my wife and I got stranded in Detroit because of the weather, and didn't return until late Sunday evening on March 9th.

After unpacking,I went online to check my email and found a message from Paypal.It stated that this Pat filed a dispute,that they sent three emails, and since they got no response,they took the cost of the cards out of my Paypal acccount and gave it to this Pat.Thus,they decided the dispute and it was now settled in the buyer's favor because I hadn't responded to the three emails.I called them,got to the resolution center,explained I was on vacation when they sent the three emails,thus, I was not able to respond to them.I explained all the other details ,and I was told that I needed to put all that I had said in writing and send it to an appeal address for Paypal.I did this that evening taking up about two more hours of my time.

On this past Friday I received the answer to the appeal.They said the appeal was denied because I had not responded to their three emails. Do you believe it??? This is what you need to learn from this:
    1) Pat whose email address is PMA 154@netzero.net has been blocked because I do believe they wer dishonest

2)Paypal insurance is really the dispute loser's money

3)Paypal doesn't have people who understand graded baseball cards or disputes with any baseball card disputes

4)Don't waste your time trying to appeal adecision because they don't have time or the understanding to settle it up properly

5)They can send you three emails within a ten day period and, if you can't answer because your on vacation,or your computer is down,or
    you get sick and can't answer in that ten day period,you lose the dispute whether right or wrong based on their rule.

6)Ebay(Paypal) continue to make more and more money by increasing the fees at the end of the sale, and aren't really concerned with honest
    sellers or honest buyers getting stuck by dishonest people.

7)Why isn't there more competition from other sites to provide good auctions for less fees.Now I know why people call ebay FEEBAY.

• Options
    Sorry to hear this, Bill. The more I hear, the more I consider not accepting paypal. Unfortunately, the thieves and slimeballs are utilizing its "protection" policy to scam honest sellers, too.

Edit: Who is this buyer's ID so I can block him, too?

• Options
    Is this a board member's set being sold? Link
  • Options

<< <i>Is this a board member's set being sold? Link >>

It is not a registered set, hence probably not a regular board member.

• Options
    Bill,
    Sorry about that bad transaction. having gotten many items from Bill I can testify to him sending items packaged to NASA standards.

• Options
    Had a similar experience, thats when you figure out insurance protects the seller so buy it. I use it on all packages over $25ish dollars to avoid the above situations and it makes life a lot easier.
  • Options

there is a PSA 9 Cash up this week also.......bet that it will break $1500 - $2000 >>

Jamie, wowser 2550.00 for the Norm Cash #150 PSA 9 I figured it might hit 1500 at the most. tempted to send my psa 8 cash in to see if it would bump to 8.5 image
  • Options
    Is this a board member's set being sold? Link

Lot of coin to roll out in one auction, a very impressive lot to be sure. After hearing about Bill's experience, I wouldn't want to accept paypal on this one...probably would have been better served consigning it to a major auction house, IMO.

• Options

<< <i>Is this a board member's set being sold? Link >>

Does anyone else this that this set sold kinda cheap?
  • Options
    Nick,

It was probably a little bit low... But, without taking Paypal and with the number of raw, 6's and 7's I'm sure it kept quite a few of the PSA 8 and 9 guys away. But, if the person who bought t intends to break it up - they should do alright.

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Now we have to keep an eye on this auction...

72 Set Auction

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    That should be an interesting auction to watch Frank. Do you think it will get to the $20,000 estimate?
  • Options
    Nick,

I sure hope so! Especially since I'm sitting just below it with an 8.43!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!