Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Tomorrow night I will be listing the last of the high numbers. After that I will not be listing anymore untill August as I will be going on vacation soon.

Jami's '72s on ebay

• Options

<< <i>Tomorrow night I will be listing the last of the high numbers. After that I will not be listing anymore untill August as I will be going on vacation soon.

Jami, I thought you were on Permanent vacation 24/7 all year round. LOL image
  • Options
    THIS MAY BE THE PSA 9 BENCH THAT I WAS THINKING OF. IT'S OC PRETTY BAD TO BE A 9! eBAY ITEM #280248009606.
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, thought some of you might find my 1972 Topps Set Auction interesting, eBay item# 160268034446
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Well...

That autographed set didn't last long! Snapped up by the guy who has the best 72 Topps graded set of all-time. Hopefully, Greg puts it on the registry some day!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    bumpimage
  • Options
    So when are we going to see more of Lostdart's cards on eBay???

Jami???

FrankB
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

<< <i>So when are we going to see more of Lostdart's cards on eBay???

Jami???

FrankB >>

Having spent much of the last month traveling and having my scanner take a dump, I will finaly be listing new cards tonight. Low numbers to #63 including the Pizarro "true" green letter variation.....BId often!!

Jami's 72s on ebay

• Options
    Awright Jami!

Lets see where we can come together!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    due to circumstances beyond my control, I will be retiring my set and selling it off (over the next 6 to 8 weeks) on Ebay, some started last Sunday night . will also be listing alot of other things also over the next few months. just FYIimage

I was once told by a Wise Man ( I don't need more money, I need more TIME, He was right), well that time has come for me (except I need both). (LOL). I have struggled over the past 9 years with losing my mother,father,wife, relatives and friends. I don't want any sympathy as this is just part of life and it waits for everyone. As CCR would say "Lookin out my back door" . Here is a old pic of my 2 boys and me at a happier and alot younger time. Autumn comes quick and winter comes even quicker enjoy every season as they are priceless.

it's been fun and still is fun! Best Regards Mike image

• Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Guys, I need the following cards in PSA 8 or PSA 9. If you're selling off sets, please keep me in mind.

2 RAY CULP
    38 CARL YASTRZEMSKI/IN ACTION
    144 MARTY PATTIN
    328 RED SOX TEAM
    674 JOHN KENNEDY
    676 DANNY CATER
    681 BOBBY PFEIL
    704 DOUG GRIFFIN/IN ACTION
    724 A.L. ROOKIES CURTIS/HINTON/SCOTT
    734 BOB BURDA
    741 MAJOR LEAGUE ROOKIES HUTTON/MILLER/MILNER
    761 A.L. N.L. ROOKIES CEY/OGLIVIE/WILLIAMS (Definitely an 8 - 9 would be way too much $$)
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, I need the following cards in PSA 8 or PSA 9. If you're selling off sets, please keep me in mind.

2 RAY CULP
    38 CARL YASTRZEMSKI/IN ACTION
    144 MARTY PATTIN
    328 RED SOX TEAM
    674 JOHN KENNEDY
    676 DANNY CATER
    681 BOBBY PFEIL
    704 DOUG GRIFFIN/IN ACTION
    724 A.L. ROOKIES CURTIS/HINTON/SCOTT
    734 BOB BURDA
    741 MAJOR LEAGUE ROOKIES HUTTON/MILLER/MILNER
    761 A.L. N.L. ROOKIES CEY/OGLIVIE/WILLIAMS (Definitely an 8 - 9 would be way too much $$) >>

MY Pattin is listed this week.

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 809 ✭✭✭
    Been following the thread for a while and I'm in the process of "cleaning up" my raw '72 set.

Are there only 4 variations within the set or are there more?

I want to make sure my set is complete.

Many thanks,

Scott
  • Options

<< <i>Been following the thread for a while and I'm in the process of "cleaning up" my raw '72 set.

Are there only 4 variations within the set or are there more?

I want to make sure my set is complete.

Many thanks,

Scott >>

There are the four Cub variations:
    #s 18, 29, 45, 113

and then there are three checklist variations:

#251 (small or large print)
    #478 (small or large print)
    #604 (copyright on left or right)

These are the only "official" variations.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I sure had to dig to find this thread. Saw this set on eBay and was wondering if it was from someone here. Hopefully it isnt because it looks to be selling at a bargain price so far. I dont think the auction mentions it being registered, so who knows. Just thought I'd dig up this thread and post the auction for the 1972 guys to see.
  • Options
    wow that is a neat set.
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    There has been major selling among board members over the last 6 months from what I have observed. I have been a buyer, and have picked up quite a few decent deals. However, for the most part I believe I have been paying fair value. It has been very light across the board with 70s sets. Even my beloved minis have slowed down dramatically in regards to sales and offerings (outside of the usual 4SC blitz).
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options
    With a little effort I have found that the set I linked above that's being sold on eBay has a rating of 8.2156740 or 8.22 if you will. I would have thought that 616 PSA 8's and 171 PSA 9's (with some stars and HOFers included in those PSA 9's) would give a higher rating than 8.22 GPA. I guess it just makes you appreciate the accomplishments of guys like FB and Jami (and others) all the more.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    My guess is that someone will buy that set to break it up. That should be a $15,000 set at least and would likely make a buyer at least that much if broken up. The economy is SOOO bad though. It's a shame.
  • Options
    I feel that at it's current bid of $8,200 it is now past the point of buying it for resale/breakup.

That being said, and taking into account the specific cards in the set being auctioned that are PSA 9's, if you wanted to start/upgrade a set, then $10,000 and under is a great deal. $12,000 or above would be overpaying.
  • Options
    I continue slowly sell off my set. Sales have been fair and since I have chosen not to give my cards away about 15% of my listings have gone unsold on the first go around.........but I am in no rush to sell, so I bide my time.

So far I have sold 467 out of the 800 cards I have whcih includes some dups and variations.

Thanks to those of you who have bid on my auctions. That includes you mintmoondog. image

Keep bidding!!

Nick,

It is tough getting the GPA up there. My set at it's peak contained 72% of it's cards in PSA 9 or PSA 10 but my set GPA was only 8.65. I had less of the high numbers %-wise in PSA 9.

• Options
    Keep putting them up Nick! Thanks for the auctions. If I have any money left over from my fanatical pursuit of 75 Minis - the 72s are easily my 2nd favorite set. So how long will I have to wait to see an expos team card? I don't even know what that card has sold for in the past - any help?
  • Options
    Well Nam...all great (self professed) minds think alike! I tabbed the value of the set at 12K and bid 12.6 but was sniped by a lucky individual. Congrats to the individual who got me on that one. I hope you are a board member and I hope you break that baby up! I need that Expos Team card.
    Henry
  • Options
    This may be your lucky day. I just listed my complete 1972 Topps set. I hope to get some bids from you guys. Ebay Item number: 200271101407. I think that Expos team card has went from $100-$700 in the last 6 months.
    Dwayne
  • Options
    Yours has a slightly better GPA than the set that ended yesterday (8.25 vs. 8.22), so I would just offer it to MintMoondog for around 12K and if he accepts you can cancel the eBay listing and save yourself a couple of hundred in final value fees. With yesterdays winner not likely to bid on your set, that's one less interested party involved. The way things are lately, I'd take the sure 12K rather than roll the dice on ebay.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good idea to me. What do you think MintMoondog ? I will also ship this set with several PSA storage boxes. I keep the PSA 10's,Star,and low pop cards in those. I should mention that many of the star cards are the best for their grade out of many that I went through. The Nolan Ryan is razor sharp and should be resubmitted for the 1/2 point scale. Only a few cards in this set have been graded under the new standards with the Steve Garvy being the only star card resubmitted (the case was cracked so I had it regraded)
    Dwayne
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    The last three PSA 8 Expos team cards have sold in the range of $97-$113. The cards have been sold in the last two months.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    The break down of sales of the Expos Team card. All sales on ebay

10/23/08 $99.98
    10/9/08 $113.01
    9/7/08 $97.99
    6/17/08 $194.51
    6/5/08 $202.50
    6/2/08 $394.98
    5/29/08 $765.00
    5/20/08 $422.00
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Thanks for the info regarding the Expos card! I appreciate the info. After spending 200-500 for the large number of very low pop commons in the Mini set for a year - those prices seem very reasonable for the lowest pop common in the 72 set. I wish I followed the auctions more carefully on this set as I sure would have bid that card up. Nam, thanks for looking out for me, that is a fantastic suggestion. If no other board members are hot on the full set right now let's talk Howell - my email is hmoon@london.edu. Look forward to corresponding,
    Regards,
    Henry
  • Options
    Glad I could help. If you guys hammer out a deal just remember me at Christmas. image
  • Options

<< <i>Glad I could help. If you guys hammer out a deal just remember me at Christmas. image >>

that in part is why i like this boards..the way everyone helps fellow collectors!!
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    Its a shame to see our 72 numbers dwindling - but I've been there and I'm sure that I'll be there again. The set was a blast to build the first time and pretty fun to build a 2nd time. I can tell you right now - I won't be building a 3rd graded one.

I may see if I can kick this one up to 8.65 with a few more "cheap" 9's and retire in a tie with Jami.

Good luck to all of you on your sales!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Hello Dewayne, just curious after Ebay + paypal + shipping fees. Did u make any money or did you lose? I know myself I have been selling my 72 set off card by card and so far, I am losing. Will give a final total when all is said and done? Best Regards Mike
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭
    Well guys, I'll finally be taking the plunge into 1972's with these three PSA 7's: Willie Mays, Steve Carlton (traded), and Joe Morgan (traded). Can anyone here help me out on the other PSA 7's I need? Luckily there's not nearly as many big expensive cards for 1972 as there are from say, 1971.

As for which PSA 7's I need, I need any non-subset HOFers, all the checklists, card #1 (I like getting the first card in the set graded), and most of the subset HOFers as well.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    Hello Mike, I'm in the positive a few hundred dollars. After 5 years building, searching ebay, and sending cards to PSA I would still call that a loss. I may start on the '72 set again. The low pop cards are cheap enough to build this set much less than the 1'st go round!
  • Options
    Wish I would have seen this auction as it was running since, in my opinion, it ended very cheap.
  • Options
    I would have bid if I had seen it. Like I said below I think I could build this set again much cheaper than before. I assumed the low pop commons would come down in price but not the stars. This auction must have ended at a bad time during the day..
    Dwayne
  • Options
    Hey, guys! my new set (In Action Jackson) is currently #99. This time I'm going to build it really, really slow. Watch me climb the charts in 2009.

Feel free to throw cheap PSA 9's my way. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I can't remember the last time a true PSA 9 "Green" variation card has sold. Does anyone know what the sell for??
    Dwayne >>

>>

The four Greens in PSA 9 are at the top of my want list. Actually, I think I still need Pizarro in PSA 8. I think I've got an extra PSA 8 Green Beckert, but i think it's gonna be sent in for a review.

Didja all miss me?
  • Options
    Welcome back Joe!

It sure does seem like this set is one that you can't just build once! Best of luck on your climb to the top!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Hey guys,

I'm going to be listing my '72 set on eBay within the next couple of weeks (right after I complete the sale of my '84 Donruss set). If anyone wants to make a 'market value' offer on the set before I place it for sale, please send me an e-mail to ARNOLD@WaltDisneyBoards.com and we can discuss any potential offline deals.

As I stated, I'm also going to be selling off my 1984 Donruss baseball set in case anyone has an interest in that as well.

Thanks,

Arny
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Hey guys,

I'm going to be listing my '72 set on eBay within the next couple of weeks (right after I complete the sale of my '84 Donruss set). If anyone wants to make a 'market value' offer on the set before I place it for sale, please send me an e-mail to ARNOLD@WaltDisneyBoards.com and we can discuss any potential offline deals.

As I stated, I'm also going to be selling off my 1984 Donruss baseball set in case anyone has an interest in that as well.

Thanks,

Arny >>

This should be good.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:02PM
  • Options
    McCarver PSA 10 could bring from $150 - $300 if you get two whales bidding...

• Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2019 9:02PM
  • Options
    Arch,

Looks like you have a real good eye. Thats probably the best way to build a reasonably priced high end 72 set. Keep it up!

Frank B
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Guys,

I just completed the sale for my 72 Topps registry set. I figured that building 2 of them was enough. Its been a blast - but now I'll only be a fan. See ya on the boards!

Frank Bakka
    Frank Bakka

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Congrats Frank. I haven't read this thread in awhile. Are you going to do another set?
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    check IMs! image
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!