Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2019 12:26PM
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:27PM
  • Options
    Love the Lolich/Blue card!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:27PM
    Latest pickups and scans:

• Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    Nice to see this thread revived. Are you looking to build the set in PSA 9? How far along are you?

Personally, things seem a little slow on the 72's. I just looked and I've only added 7 cards this year. I'm mainly building in PSA 8 with some 8.5's and 9's mixed in. Trying to stick to as nicely centered cards as I can find. Here's the last card I picked up back in June.

I've got about 2/3rds of the set. 1st Series completed. Working on 2nd Series and the High #'s right now.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:29PM
    Thanks for the input Mr. P. Yes, it's kind of sad how this set was such a hot topic 10 years ago, and doesn't seem to get that kind of attention anymore.

I'm right around 27% complete at this point. In buying graded cards, I'm only interested in 9s. I have sent in several subs, and cards that came back 8s from those I have kept in my set, because they are high end 8s that I like.

My biggest peeve is tilt which I try very hard to avoid. Your Murcer 8 looks great. Here's an example of a card I sent in that came back an 8. Looks like a 9 to me!

• Options
    That does look like a 9. One of the tougher League Leader cards too if I'm not mistaken.

I believe I recall from some of your previous posts your disdain for tilts. I don't recall tilts being a huge problem with 72's. I also collect the 66 set and tilts are prevalent that year. You have to learn to accept some tilt with 66's.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:30PM
    A couple more recent scans/pickups....

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭
    there is a 1972 rennie stennett psa 10 on ebay
    but the pop is 4...thats too much for a common
    what do u think ?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: lawyer05
    there is a 1972 rennie stennett psa 10 on ebay
    but the pop is 4...thats too much for a common
    what do u think ?

The only VCP sale of that card in PSA 10 was $249 from a couple of years ago...so yes, I would say $629 is definitely too much! Especially since PSA 10 commons from this set have generally lost a lot of value in the last 5 years.
  • Options
    Great cards, I like the Lonborg.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2020 8:29PM
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    Great cards, I like the Lonborg.

Thanks Dan. Here are a couple of obscure Sawx for ya....

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DanBessette
    You're right, I love that petrocelli. I've considered doing a Rico player run.

If you do shoot me a PM. I'm a huge Rico P fan!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:31PM
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:32PM

This thread needs a bump every few months for old times sake. Latest pickup, with which my registry set just passed 32% complete!

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    This thread needs a bump every few months for old times sake. Latest pickup, with which my registry set just passed 32% complete!

Congrats! If my math is correct, 32% is EXACTLY 1/3rd. :#

• Options

Picked this up back in December. Relatively low pop. Hard to find well centered. An added bonus was that the consignor (not one of the "big" guys) started the auction at .99 cents and let it run. My winning bid was a bit over VCP, but for this centering, my snipe was set much higher.

• Options

Nice pickup. The PSA 9 Unser is a good microcosm of what has happened to low pop commons in this set over the last eight years. It sold twice for over $500 in 2009, and is now basically a $75 card. Many sellers seem to have a hard time accepting this reality.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

What do you attribute that too Paul Maul? The drastic decline of 1972 Topps commons I mean...

Could it be overall interest? I think it's an awesome set and would love to work on it someday. I wouldn't think a set like this wouldn't be popular, but anything is possible I guess...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

I do think the set peaked in popularity 5-10 years ago, but it's still pretty popular. I attribute it mostly to 4SC and others continually pumping out 9s and 10s, so that even for cards that are still legitimately tough, there's almost a yawn when a PSA 9 Fred Kendall is offered for $300, as if the price is sure to come down given time.

• Options

The last time I looked, there were 139 72 Topps set's on the registry. Of those sets, how many are chasing the set hard? 30? 20? A lot of those are probably the upper echelon guys who are only looking for upgrades and have no interest in a pop 106 PSA 8 Del Unser.

There's still a lot of nice raw out there and the pops will only go up in time while interest in the set will remain stagnant at best.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2017 10:33PM

@PaulMaul said:
    I do think the set peaked in popularity 5-10 years ago, but it's still pretty popular. I attribute it mostly to 4SC and others continually pumping out 9s and 10s, so that even for cards that are still legitimately tough, there's almost a yawn when a PSA 9 Fred Kendall is offered for $300, as if the price is sure to come down given time.

This is my fear with a lot of sets pre-85 baseball and I was just having a conversation with someone about it the other night, - 4SC's continually pumping out 9's and 10's and flooding pop reports. It's amazing and fascinating at the same time that they continue to post new, high grade cards everyday of all these vintage sets and I often wonder how they do it and where they find all the unopened and or high grade raw sets. I'm a huge collector of the 1980 Topps baseball set, and it seems that new commons are posted 3-4 days a week. It's only a matter of time that the POP's of the 1980 set reflect the POP's of a late 80's set lol...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Agree. I've gotten crushed on values on 72 through 74 low pop commons that I purchased several years ago which are now medium or medium to low pop commons. My philosophy is to now remain patient and take longer to complete high grade registry sets.

• Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Need to wait for the final card to arrive, but I have finally finished this set. Looks like the overall grade at finish will be 8.93. It's been a fun journey spanning about 10 years.

The first PSA 9 card I got for this set was Jim York, for about $30 (oops), back in 2008 or 2007. While I fortunately held off on many of the low pop cards until the end, I did pay some exorbitant prices that I will not recoup ($225 for Frank Robinson Traded, for example). On the other hand, I had some great finds: Gene Michael IA PSA 9 for $9.99 was probably my best. The next version of that card went for about $250, but I just couldn't let go. Alas.

The big stars have largely appreciated pretty well; the low pop HOF cards like Jim Hunter and Orlando Cepeda have not. Carlton Fisk RCs have skyrocketed.

I will be upgrading for a little while and then deciding what to do. If I sell the whole set, I will miss it, and may rebuild it some day.

• Options
  • Options

Some interesting sales in the auction that ended last night... Perhaps just a blip, but...

Tommy John PSA 9 Sold $167.50
    Jim Hardin PSA 9 Sold $105.22
    JR Richard PSA 9 Sold $78.51
    Steve Renko PSA 9 Sold $41.72
    Billy Martin PSA 9 Sold $152.50

Given that I'll be unwinding my set over the next year or so, I hope these prices stick, though of course I'm skeptical.

• Options

I mentioned the John and Hardin in the main forum. Weird results, they are both typically $10-20 cards. The Martin is a little high, but at least that's a fairly low pop and sought after card.

• Options
  • Options

@lawyer05 said:
    this set is huge

Yeah. One of the reasons that I love this set. Also because it's so quintessentially "70s" with the Peter Max art theme, along with the '75 Topps offering.

• Options

@manhattanguy said:

@lawyer05 said:
    this set is huge

Yeah. One of the reasons that I love this set. Also because it's so quintessentially "70s" with the Peter Max art theme, along with the '75 Topps offering.

yes i love my BEN OGLIVIE PSA 10 ROOKIE 1972 ..... paid a pretty penny though ..

• Options

Going back a few pictures... PaulMaul - that Dave Concepcion is terrific. Nice find.

• Options

Recent pickup for me. I've found the centering to be particularly ghastly on all of the PSA 8's that have come up in that time. Was on my want list for about 2 years. I was the underbidder on a pwcc PSA 9 last Fall. Certainly not perfectly centered, but better than most. eBay Auction from a board member too I believe.

• Options

@mrpeanut39 said:
    Recent pickup for me. I've found the centering to be particularly ghastly on all of the PSA 8's that have come up in that time. Was on my want list for about 2 years. I was the underbidder on a pwcc PSA 9 last Fall. Certainly not perfectly centered, but better than most. eBay Auction from a board member too I believe.

That sure looks like a 9 to me. I suppose they grade tougher on the low pop 9s.

• Options

Very nice Gallagher... Looks much nicer to me than the off-centered PSA 9 that just sold off of 4SC's website.

Speaking of which, someone or some people are jumping into this set right now, as sales have really picked up. Another funny one last night, with #271 Ken Rudolph going for $57.00 (but Gene Alley going for $2.50). Action like that suggests that it is two or three people new to this set who are getting involved.. Without pricing history, they don't know what these commons cost.

A lot of these commons haven't come up in awhile.

• Options
    RobbyRobby Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

@mrpeanut39 said:

Nice card ................maybe worth a shot at trying for a bump ? Congrats on the pick-up !
    Robbie

Collect 1964 Topps Baseball
    1963 Fleer
    Lou Brock Master Set
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I believe "Dirty" Al Gallagher is the baseball player with the longest full name. Alan Mitchell Edward George Patrick Henry Gallagher. Met him in Anaheim in 1973 as a kid and he autographed my program with him on the cover and talked about fielding. Saw Nolan Ryan pitch (and strikeout everybody!) and Frank Robinson homer!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

@psychump said:
    I believe "Dirty" Al Gallagher is the baseball player with the longest full name. Alan Mitchell Edward George Patrick Henry Gallagher.

Cal McLish may give him a run for his money.

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Christian Frederick Albert John Henry David Betzel is second by one letter and Cal is third.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

Hope this works... One of my favorites.

• Options

It worked - so another favorite for good measure. How hard is it to find an R. Jackson 1972 without that small spot in the lower right corner?

• Options

Thanks everyone for posting some great discussion on this thread. I am curious on your thoughts on the long term prospects for the 1972 set. I am trying to keep myself motivated to collect a set and this one looks like a solid choice. You can get some really good looking centered cards in the PSA 8/9 range. Thoughts? My concern is the lack of action poses outside of the IA cards and the seemingly forced poses on a few of the offerings. IMO the card design more than makes up for it though. Thanks!

Tim

• Options

Long-term prospects...

Currently, the set is pretty hot, especially in PSA 9 and 10. The number of total sets registered, after stagnating around 125 for awhile, has expanded. Some PSA 9 cards have been fetching outrageous prices, with nondescript commons going for $150 (e.g. Curt Motton, Don Money), but other PSA 9 commons have stayed within their usual $8-$12 range.

The populations of all cards in this set have risen significantly during the past 5 years, but I would not say the supply has risen. If anything, the supply of many common cards has decreased.

PSA 10 common cards have been selling for higher than usual prices across the board recently - maybe a 1/3 markup.

Collecting this set takes patience. While parts/corners of the set are often overheated (i.e. commons, high series, superstars), you can usually find good prices on most cards if you're willing to wait. I and many other collectors on this board got the commons that currently selling for $150 in PSA 9 at prices in the $10-$20 range.

Tilt is a problem in this set. Look carefully at the cards. If you look too quickly a certain scans, you'll miss the tilt near the top/bottom.

I love this set. Good luck if you decide to start it.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:36PM

I guess you decided to hang onto your set?

My pace of picking up cards has dropped off in the last several months, mostly due to being unwilling to pay silly prices, but also available cards haven't been as nice. These are my only recent acquisitions. I think the Harrelson IA was the last card you needed for yours, right?

• Options

I have hung onto it, indeed. It’s hard to let go. For the moment I’m chasing GI’s set (9.03 - I’m at 9.018), and once I pass that I’ll evaluate again. Getting up to 9.09, the next set up, will be a grind. There are no cheap points anymore.

Harrelson IA was my last card, yes. $63 for a PSA 8. Merry Christmas to the seller of that card!

• Options

Harrelson Boyhood I mean. That was a 50-70 card two years ago in PSA 9. Now I’m getting outbid at $115. Bah.

• Options

New add... Have been looking for a well-centered 9 for a long time.

• Options
    edited March 8, 2019 12:51PM
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Any other players in this set appear in sunglasses ? I wonder how many players have appeared on cards with sunglasses. Is there an Ap for that ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Lowell Palmer seems to have made a habit of it....

• Options

Goose Gossage sported shades on his 1986 card.