Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    I got my Aaron IA for $69 plus shipping. A buy-it-now from a reputable dealer - Stevens Creek, I think. I just like telling that story.
  • Options

<< <i>I got my Aaron IA for $69 plus shipping. A buy-it-now from a reputable dealer - Stevens Creek, I think. I just like telling that story. >>

yea yea yea, just rub it in, kick us in gut , ha ha just kidding. that was a nice pick up. image
  • Options
    I posted about a week ago that I was interested in finding out the value of my 72 collection. I finally got around to inputing the numbers into the registry and the collection is the 48th best with about 12.58% completed. There are some low pop psa 9s too. If anyone knows of anyone looking to purchase a collection let me know. But I really am really curious of what everyone thinks the value is. The only card that is not showing is my Joe Morgan Traded PSA 9, I purchased it from someone who still has it listed in their set I can email PSA and they will change it for me. I would appreciate everyone's opinion
  • Options
    You've got a few tough low pops in there, a few great star cards and a good group of high numbers. I'd suggest listing those individually and grouping the commons into lots when you sell them.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Gradedcardnut,

Once again, my suggestions is to put the high pop commons (over 25) in one lot and sell the rest individually. You should be able to maximize your money that way...........Sell them on ebay.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Hey, guys... I think it's time to sell my 1972 set. Nothing dramatic or catastrophic, I just realized how much better my life would be with a big stack of cash.

Any thoughts on the best way to go about it? Selling individually on eBay? Selling it through a big auction house? If so, Which one?

I'd rather sell it as a set, but that might be too costly for most buyers. Thanks in advance for your input.

Joe
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Joe - I would suggest breaking it up and sending cards to all of your friends who post on the 72 Topps thread. Money is overrated...

Knowing you've done something nice for others is its own reward!!!

Frank

P.S. - if that doesn't work for you, then I would figure out what you want for it and try an ad on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum or the Vintage Trading Form before you agree to pay an auction house a percentage. Just a thought.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    Joe: the Mastro set that was auctioned off 8.27 gpa went for something like 11,850, of course yours is better, so it should go for more if you decide to sell as a whole. I would probably go with Memory Lane or Mastro's , if it doesn't sell as a Buy it now on Ebay.
    Otherwise break it up and piece it out (probably more money) but alot more work and headaches,
    or sell me the whole set for 2,000 LOL. (can send 1 dollar bills so it will be a big stack).
    Good Luck either way you decide.
  • Options
    Joe, I'll pay you $2001. image

That's just a little bigger of a stack of 1s than diamondman! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    The general consensus seems to be to sell the good cards individually and then to sell the "common" cards in 25-50 card lots.

If anyone here wants anything from my set, now's the time to let me know, before they hit eBay. All unreasonable offers will be refused. image

I'll probably start listing them next Sunday (11/11).
  • Options
    Page turn
  • Options

<< <i>The general consensus seems to be to sell the good cards individually and then to sell the "common" cards in 25-50 card lots.

>>

I would have to agree with that.......

I will be sorry to see you go .....image

I will have to see if there are any in YOUR set that I need....

Jami

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I only want the Santorini, Kendall and Expos team cards. That's all. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>I will be sorry to see you go .....image >>

Don't worry, I'll be back. This set is addictive. image
  • Options
    I've started listing my cards in my eBay store. Feel free to make offers here - I guarantee a minimum 10% discount to any forum member that helps me avoid eBay fees.

Hope fully, this is a link to Joe Maggio's eBay Store
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Anyone need one of these?

1972 Topps #313 Luis Aparicio - PSA 9

For some reason one of these sold for almost twice SMR last month.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options

<< <i>I've started listing my cards in my eBay store. Feel free to make offers here - I guarantee a minimum 10% discount to any forum member that helps me avoid eBay fees.

Hope fully, this is a link to Joe Maggio's eBay Store >>

That Grzenda card is a bit steep. imageimage

• Options

<< <i>That Grzenda card is a bit steep. imageimage >>

Surprisingly, the last three sold for $218, $100 & $90.
  • Options
    Come on Joe, bring out the big guns! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Joe could you make the scans just a little bigger so they will fit on my 60 inch LCD. LOL

I didn't think you could get scans that big????? does your scanner use some form of Ensyte???

• Options
    Damn... those scanes are big. I'll make the rest smaller.

All of series one is listed, I'll start working on series two this afternoon. Everyone who says it's easier to sell them in lots and that selling them individually is too much work is 100% correct.

Again, feel free to PM me with offers on anything you want even if they're listed on eBay. I'm going to start listing 20 cards each day in regular eBay auctions.
  • Options
    Series 1 and 2 are listed in my eBay store... more being added every day. Feel free to PM me with your want list.

I just picked up 20 unopened packs of 1972 OPC... those should be fun to open!
  • Options
    Any chance you post a "live rip" thread for those 72 OPC's? Would be very interested to see the results! btw... where did you pick those up from?
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>Anyone has a 1972 Garvey PSA 8 they can sell me? Thanks. >>

Never mind. I was ready to pay $108 (after seeing one end for $83) for one when it ended at $52. Sometimes it works out that way, you know?
  • Options
    That's a good price for the Garvey. I'm of the belief that cards like the '72 Garvey & Carew and the '70 Bench that were the keys to the set up until the "low pop" craze hit will rise to the top again as the low pops become less low pop.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>That's a good price for the Garvey. I'm of the belief that cards like the '72 Garvey & Carew and the '70 Bench that were the keys to the set up until the "low pop" craze hit will rise to the top again as the low pops become less low pop. >>

I was willing to pay a premium, not because I needed it for any registry sets, but as you alluded to, it was one of the most sought after cards when I got back into the hobby 25 years ago in SoCal. I didn't get one then so it has been on my dream list for a while. That's why I also picked up a nice Carew last month. Sometimes you get cards just because.
  • Options
    joe, have to agree with you on that take. After getting back into the hobby earlier this year (mainly to sell off most of my collection), I was astounded to see no-name, common players going for huge premiums and well in excess of comparable condition HOFer's & Rookies. When I collected (from about '76 to '91) commons were basically thought of as junk... the only thing anyone cared about was rookies and superstars. It's really come full circle now, and I guess in a way, it's actually been good for me to a certain extent, as a good chunk of the money I've made so far is off those commons... and mostly from the '72 set. Murcer & Foli IA PSA-8 did way better than I expected, as well as a few others... but this one really surprised me the other day.

#766 Steve Hamilton PSA-8 went for an amazing $76.00! I was totally shocked at this. Sure, he's a semi-low-pop high #, but the last 4 that were on ebay only went in the $10-$12 range. Sure, 3 months had passed since the last one was on back in August, but similar amounts of time had past between the others. I have spent so much time analyzing sales trends and pop #'s for this set... I figured at most this thing would go for $20-$25. Anyway, on the same day, my PSA-7 #673 Dave Marshall went for $26... which is pretty good for a 7. Only 7 I ever did better on was my Expos team for about $38. Of course, both of those are among the 10 lowest pops in the set, so I guess it makes sense.

Anyway, those 2 sales really brought me out of a funk cuz I had a few cards go for well under current market prices in the last week. It's kind of gotten me re-energized on this set.

Joe, do you have a schedule for when you're going to list the rest of your '72's? I don't want to put any of my stuff up to coincide with yours. I'm mainly looking at doing high series right now, so let me know if you're planning to put yours up any time soon.

Jim G
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I'm listing mine in numerical order in my eBay store every day. I'm hoping to have them all listed by the end of the weekend, but that might be a little too optimistic. I'm moving 15 PSA 9's, low pops and stars to live auctions every day.
  • Options
    1972 OPC rip highlights - I'll only list the ones that look like PSA 8+ NQ's
    pack 1 - perfectly centered Seaver IA ruined by the gum - Munson, 2 commons. 1 extra card in the pack!
    pack 2 - well-centered Robertson IA, White Sox team and 2 commons.
    pack 3 - Munson IA
    pack 4 - top 5 cards ruined by gum - all were OC, 2 commons
    pack 5 - 4 commons
    pack 6 - all but 2 cards, including Carlton, ruined by gum, 1 good common
    pack 7 - 1 common
    pack 8 - 2 commons
    pack 9 - Maury Wills
    pack 10 - 5 commons
    pack 11 - Seaver Boyhood Photo, 1 common
    pack 12 - 3 commons
    pack 13 - nothing!
    pack 14 - 4 commons
    pack 15 - Maury Wills, Tony Oliva and 4 commons
    pack 16 - nothing!
    pack 17 - 6 commons
    pack 18 - Robinson Boyhood Photo, 1 common
    pack 19 - Gaylord Perry, 1 common
    pack 20 - Maury Wills IA, 1 common

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed at the lack of virtually any star cards. There was a lot of duplication in the packs and when there was, the following cards weren't always the same. Definitely suspicious.

After grading, it looks like I'll have spent $1000 to add two Munsons, Gaylord Perry, Seaver/Robinson Boyhood Photos, a couple Team cards and 40 commons to my set!
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Joe,

I too will be getting a submission ready of 72 OPC's for the $5 special. I have been busting open packs 4/5 at a time from 2 - 2nd Series boxes that I bought from Memory Lane last year. With all the gum staining and bad centering I was able to average roughly 2 cards per pack worthy of grading. 72 packs = about 150 cards worth sending in.

Busting wax is great fun. But, you can't think about the cost once its done...

Frank B
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options

• Options
    Some creative pricing here.....................I think I will wait on getting these cards.

• Options
    Jami,

That's someone that posted in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum if I recall. Little high, but someone might be willing to pull the trigger on a couple of those. So, worth the shot, I guess.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options

<< <i>Jami,

That's someone that posted in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum if I recall. Little high, but someone might be willing to pull the trigger on a couple of those. So, worth the shot, I guess. >>

I guess......his low feedback % and lack of any recent feedback will work against him.

Yes I had seen he had posted before.........

• Options
    Isn't that the guy that posted here a couple pages back... GradedCardNut? Weird that I PM's him about a lot of cards that he listed, asking him for prices, but he never responded. Looking at what he has those listed for, it wouldn't have been worth while anyway, but strange that he didn't reply to me before paying all those ebay fees. I doubt he'll sell any of those for what they are listed at... especially with no recent sales and 2 negatives on the first page of his most recent feedback... but I could be wroing of course. btw... how much does ebay charge to list something that high? I've never listed anything with an initial bid or BIN over $100.
    Jim G
  • Options
    Hey, just came across this 72 OPC unopened GAI 8.5 Series 2 box on ebay: 72 OPC

BIN of $999 would be pretty tempting, but considering the results posted Joe on his OPC rip, I'm not sure I'd want to risk $1k on possible heavy gum damage. Still though... this would be mad fun to rip!
    Jim G
  • Options

<< <i>Hey, just came across this 72 OPC unopened GAI 8.5 Series 2 box on ebay: 72 OPC

BIN of $999 would be pretty tempting, but considering the results posted Joe on his OPC rip, I'm not sure I'd want to risk $1k on possible heavy gum damage. Still though... this would be mad fun to rip! >>

The seller is Frank B who used to have the #1 72 Topps set and is a regular poster on this thread. The BIN price is good. ( less then $4/card) If OPC was my bag i would be all over it.

• Options
    I have seen people commenting on my cards. My good friend is trying to sell them for me on Ebay. I just thought it would be easier having him do this instead of paying someone else to. Should I look into using a Ebay Seller Assistant. Could anyone give me any advice. I work in West Caldwell, NJ. Your ideas would be appreciated. Also I did not get back to anyone about some of the cards they pm'd me about, because the few that I did wanted to pay nothing for them. Has anyone heard of 4star consignments?
  • Options
    I almost bought that OPC box from Frank, but didn't because of his comments about how few gradeable cards he got out of each pack. At $1K, you would have been paying more than $10 per gradeable card. I figured if it was worth ripping and grading, Frank would have done it himself.
  • Options
    I got an email from 4star consignments and have come to an agreement on price for selling the set. They are picking up the cards on Friday! Paying the commission kills me, but not having time doesnt help! I am taking offers on the set til Friday. I am located in West Caldwell, NJ so if you were live local you could arrange to pickup the cards. I am looking for $7500 which is a low number compared to VCP. If I dont get an offer that works they will be listed on Ebay with a starting bid of $9.99. PM OFFERS!
  • Options
    Gradedcardnut,

You listed these 5 cards with a $12.50 buy it now? HOLY COW. You probably left $300 -$350 on the table.

Yikes!!

Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    Whoa!

Get in contact with those folks and offer them something in return for their 'time' and 'heartbreak'. But, you can't sell those cards at those prices. Sheesh. Good luck on not getting negative feedback.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Those cards are already relisted..... ??????

The whole thing smells of scam.......sorry to say.

• Options
    Its not a scam. My friend has been trying to help me and has screwed the whole thing up. I am going to have him take down all of the auctions and 4 star consignments will be doing the auctions.
  • Options
    I didnt realize he relisted those auctions. I will let all of the auctions run its course since I just read Ebay's policies about stopping an auction. The rest of my cards will go to 4star conisgnments. Also if anyone is interested in any of these cards they can be picked up locally in Jersey. I also have purchased some of these cards from some of you under my Ebay name VintageCardCollector75. I would appreciate people not calling this a scam. My PSA Set Registry is MyNeverEndingSet its in about 46th on the current finest.
  • Options

<< <i>I didnt realize he relisted those auctions. I will let all of the auctions run its course since I just read Ebay's policies about stopping an auction. The rest of my cards will go to 4star conisgnments. Also if anyone is interested in any of these cards they can be picked up locally in Jersey. I also have purchased some of these cards from some of you under my Ebay name VintageCardCollector75. I would appreciate people not calling this a scam. My PSA Set Registry is MyNeverEndingSet its in about 46th on the current finest. >>

Selling cards twice is not a scam?? Your "friend" is obviously an idiot. Listing some cards with a $600 BIN and other with a $12.95 BIN

• Options
    Here's some more advice... if this is not a scam, the first thing you have to do is take down those 5 current auctions that have already sold using the $12.49 buy it now. You simply cannot have those cards listed twice and expect people to not think it's a scam. In addition, I would like to know if your friend is setting these prices or are you? It seems like you have incorporated VCP prices into what you want, and that is reasonable, as long as you don't expect to get a lot more than recent VCP historical prices. It seems like your friend has arbitrarily listed 11 cards at way above what they should go for, but then listed 5 $50-$90 cards with a $12.49 BIN. If it was me, I would not trust this kind of money to someone who makes those kinds of mistakes.

Can you clarify about what you're doing with 4 star consignments? I thought you said you came to an agreement with them on selling your set, but then you still appear to be taking offers on cards. How does that work exactly? Also... about the PMs and such. I sent you a PM 2 weeks ago inquiring about some of these cards but you never replied. I also have a friend who inquired with the ebay account selling your cards and he has not heard back from him either.

I don't know... this whole thing just seems kind of weird. You seem to want to get the max possible for your cards, yet you don't reply to legitimate inquiries and trust the selling of them to someone who obviously does not know what he's doing (not to mention not having any recent feedback and a couple of negatives of his first page of feedback)?!?!

You seem to be looking for a way to sell these and maximize your profit. I know several people, including myself have already told you how to do this, but I'll say it one more time. List the HOFers, high #'s, and low pops as separate auctions with low beginning bids ($9.99 or less... I suggest .99 cents or even .01 cents). Trust me, with all these being 9's, you will get right at VCP historical or even a bit more for all of these cards, while keeping your listing fees way down with the low beginning bids. For all the others, group them together in a few lots and sell them that way. The other thing you will probably need is a legitimate seller's account with recent feedback... and I also understand you are pressed for time. Heck, I have both the time and the good seller's acount (have sold a lot of 72's recently) so why don't you let me sell them for you? I'd even be willing to do it for just of few of your cards... I'm sure a LOT less than 4 star is asking. PM me if you're interested.
    Jim G
  • Options
    On another note... looks like someone snatched up that 72 OPC box for the $999 BIN. Wonder if they're going to rip or re-sell?
    Jim G
  • Options
    PM sent. An email was sent to the people that purchased the cards by the incorrect auction, it was supposed to start at $12.95. 4 Star was going to come out to about $500-$700 above the Ebay and PayPal fees. I am selling this lot because I got approx 700 vending 1969 topps baseball cards that are mint and probably 700 1975's that I would want to grade. My wife would kill me if I spend over $5000 on grading fees. I will see how the current auctions do and maybe stick with my buddy or maybe use 4 star. from reading this board I really think some of the people that post like controversy and like to stir up problems. I really would appreciate everyone to stop with the comments.