Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>#!%&* JOKE!!!!!

image >>

the last three days reminded me of the last two months of the 2006 season
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Yeah, it seems to me like 80% of the guys on the team (including Francona) couldn't care less if they win or lose right now. It's as if they think we've got a big enough lead as it is so why bother? It's very frustrating.

Perkdog, you mentioned that we can't just hang around against good teams and expect to win. I agree. One thing that usually seems like a strength to me is when teams can get walks. But what good does it do when you walk the bases loaded with no outs and only get one or two runs (if you're lucky)? I'd like to see them get more aggressive and drive in some runs when they have their opponents back on the ropes.

I'm grumpy now.
  • Options
    It's been a really long grind for the first half, and it's tough to fault anyone for looking ahead to the all star break - who among us hasn't loafed through a friday in anticipation of a three day weekend? Also, let's not discredit the tigers, who are among the hottest teams in all of baseball right now.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe me I appreaciate what the Red Sox have done, we beat up Tampa like we should have but the mark of a team that is rolling well is to NOT get swept in a away series against anyone. With lineups that were inserted and guys resting? Please you can rest during the All-Star game right? Anyways I am VERY critical AND supportive of my team through thick and thin.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much fun as a wet fart...
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    OK time to take a break for a few days, I will see you all later on in the week. Enjoy the derby and All Star game!
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    %#@###$$%% Granderson!! image

A really tough break for the team and a struggling Wily Mo. However, the Sox still had their chances --- I was counting on a shelling of overrated 5.20 ERA Todd Jones, but Drew again failed in the clutch and went 1-11 in the series. image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Sorry, but this thread is not falling off the first page. image

• Options
    Go American League!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Go American League!! image >>

Yep, the M's need home field advantage in the world series! image
  • Options
    Trade rumors starting -- Coco and a prospect for Junior image

I say unlikely, but possible depending on how desparate Cincy is to dump salary. If their GM is a big enough sucker, maybe they will take Wily Mo back as well!! (Yeah, right image)
  • Options
    Maybe we can swap Wily Mo for Arroyo in a separate deal? A change of scenery might be what both those guys need right now.

I can see the Red Sox dealing for a CF this year, even if it's only a rent-a-player situation because of the CF free agents this winter and Ellsbury. If the Red Sox think they can get someone for the postseason push this year and sign someone long term this off-season it might make sense. I'd hate to lose Coco's glove and his bat seems to be waking up, but some pop from Griffey might help Ortiz and Manny.
  • Options
    I don't know - I have been holding the banner for Crisp for a long time now (still much happier with him than broken down old Johnny Damon), and he is starting to hit to go along with that great glove. I think Magadan really helped him a lot, and the Sox will stand pat with him until Ellsbury is ready.

Lugo-mania resumes tomorrow! 2-4, with 2 RBI's and a steal. Mark it down.
  • Options
    Whats up guys? Thanks for holding down the fort the past few days. I say we leave things the way they are, we went through the first half pretty effectivaly without the pop of Manny and Papi for the most part. These guys are too good not to turn it up at somepoint, Lowell was starting to heat up and with Youk hitting well we got a nice core group. Von you mentioned you think we will deal for a CF? I think it will be tooTough for Theo to find someone to do better than Coco's speed and "D", I am officially DONE with JD Drew, this kid has ZERO heart, no fire, and Honestly I would rather have Ellsbury take HIS spot...IM not kidding either.

Well the first half has been GREAT with you guys! I look forward to the second half! image
  • Options
    So, have you guys heard the news that Ortiz is getting an MRI on his knee? It sounds like he'll need surgery . . . but not until the offseason. That says to me that his knee and his quads have probably been the main cause for the power outage. It's at least encouraging that he's still playing and hitting for average. It does make me think we can expect to keep seeing some strange lineups in which guys like Ortiz, Youkilis, and Manny will continue to get frequent days off.

I'm not sure we'll deal for a CF, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see changes at that position either this month or in November/December. I think we all recognize how great Coco's glove has been and it's pretty evident that his bat is finally getting to the point I think Theo thought it should be when he brought him over, so maybe Theo won't do anything just now. But if Griffey is available now and Torii Hunter is available later . . . well, it just seems like Torii would fit in great here and although it would be better to keep Crisp and move Drew, Drew's contract makes that impossible I would think. And then, there's always the probability that Manny will be asking for a trade soon so maybe we'll have an open OF position anyway?

I think it's kind of unique to Red Sox fans that we're half way through the season and we've got a 10 game lead and we're still pretty critical of our team. If someone asked me in April if I'd be happy with a 10 game lead at the break I'd be ecstatic. Of course I would! That said, I've really enjoyed spending the first half celebrating and commiserating with all of you. Here's to more celebrations the next couple months! image
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention, my wife and I are looking at tickets on Stubhub.com for Red Sox games later this season. I've only been to two games in Fenway and I took the tour so I know just a little bit about where to sit. I sat behind home plate in one game and in the very last row under the Ford sign in right-center. Where would you guys recommend trying to get a seat? I don't want to spend a grand per ticket or anything, but I want decent seats. Any suggestions? Are the Infield and Outfield Grandstand seats any good? Are the Loge Box seats worth the extra money?
  • Options
    I'd think the green monster seats would be a great experience, but I've heard they are always sold out.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Oh, I forgot to mention, my wife and I are looking at tickets on Stubhub.com for Red Sox games later this season. I've only been to two games in Fenway and I took the tour so I know just a little bit about where to sit. I sat behind home plate in one game and in the very last row under the Ford sign in right-center. Where would you guys recommend trying to get a seat? I don't want to spend a grand per ticket or anything, but I want decent seats. Any suggestions? Are the Infield and Outfield Grandstand seats any good? Are the Loge Box seats worth the extra money? >>

I've had the pleasure to see two games (infield granstand - SEC 15) at Fenway: Games 1 & 2 of the World Series image

Other than my knees hitting the row in front (and I'm only 5'9), they were fantastic seats with awesome views.

Try the following direct links for tickets:

Craig's List, StubHub, and/or RazorGator.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Von believe it or not I have not been to Fenway since 1995, I refuse to pay for the train, beer, food and tickets. The whole MLB salary thing annoys me too much to go but thats just me, Have fun when you go!
  • Options
    LETS GO WAKEFIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LETS START THE SECOND HALF ON THE RIGHT FOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I hate when this happens . . . I have Halladay in my fantasy baseball league. I also have a bunch of Red Sox hitters. So I guess I hope Halladay pitches 7 strong innings, leaves with a no-decision and then lets the bullpen blow it, preferably at the hands of Ortiz, Pedroia, and Youkilis . . .
  • Options

<< <i>I hate when this happens . . . I have Halladay in my fantasy baseball league. I also have a bunch of Red Sox hitters. So I guess I hope Halladay pitches 7 strong innings, leaves with a no-decision and then lets the bullpen blow it, preferably at the hands of Ortiz, Pedroia, and Youkilis . . . >>

sorry about that ... NOT!
  • Options
    A nice blue collar type win! Ortiz and Manny did their jobs without hitting bombs.. I will take that. Nice job by our middle relief corps as well. A Great way to start off the second half! image
  • Options
    Lugomania still going strong -- back over the Ueker line!!
  • Options
    Lugomania! image Good for him for hanging in there.
  • Options
    At one point during yesterday's game Lugo was 5 for his last 5 going back to before the break. I was postive that he was going to keep it up and set a major league record! Foiled again.

Why is Drew hitting leadoff? Coco's been hitting well enough and has the speed, shouldn't he be our leadoff guy? I know that with the lingering injuries and platooning that there's going to be some different lineups, but here is what I'd like to see for a typical second half lineup. Let me know what you guys think:

Crisp
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Manny
    Youkilis
    Manny again (just kidding) - Lowell
    Varitek
    Drew
    Lugo

I'd really like to see Youkilis hitting 3rd, Manny 4th, and Ortiz 5th but I know all the reasons why they wouldn't do that. Still, since Ortiz is hurting but still hitting, I'd like to see what him protecting Manny could do for Manny's power numbers. And as for Youkilis, I know that you're supposed to have your best all-around hitter in the #3 slot, but in a lot of ways, I think Youkilis fits the bill this year.
  • Options
    That lineup certainly works, I guess if I were to make the lineup it would be like this..

Crisp
    Pedroia
    Manny
    Youk
    Papi
    Lowell
    Drew
    TeK
    Lugo
  • Options
    Manny! Manny! Manny! Please let this be the start of a power surge!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More runs please!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Damn it - does J.D. Drew get hurt every time the wind blows? He ran out a hustle double, nice job by him - and then he has to leave the game with a sore hamstring. Very frustrating to watch him out there.
  • Options
    I just erased a rant . . . I feel like I've been too negative lately.

I'm just glad Dice-K and Beckett are pitching the next two games and we still have a 10 game lead.

Go Lugo!!!!
  • Options
    Tough beat. If Tavares could of held it together that one ugly inning we might have been ok but it didnt happen, well NY lost to a fellow bottom feeder team so this game didnt hurt too much..

It must make Theo want to grab a bottle of Jack Daniels everytime Drew has to leave a game after hustling on a play image Let it be known from here on out I will continue to root for Drew because he is in a Sox uniform but for the record, I flat out dont like him one bit. He is a complete wimp who shows about as much fire as a guy punching a time clock in a factory on third shift. F- Him!
  • Options
    Funny thing - as I watched the game last night, I was thrilled to see Drew leg out that double. It was an example of something that he never seems to do (things that guys like Youkilis, Varitek, and Lowell for example do on every single play) - and that is, hustle! Then, the very next half inning, even Remy and Orsillo are amazed that he came out of the game. He's very talented, but he's not playing like the type of player that does well in Boston. I hope he doesn't wind up on the DL, because that's the early word on him this morning.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Drew is not used to having to RUN! On another note a close frined got this auto'd for me. I dont care if he is having an off year he is a great personality, and this is such a beautiful card!

• Options
    Very nice Ted! Papi will forever be linked to our magical '04 season regardless if he struggles this season or the rest of his career!
  • Options
    Nice homer from Papi in the 1st! I said it last night about Manny and I'll say it again tonight about Oritz -- let's hope this is the start of a power surge!

Oh yeah, and let's score some more freaking runs!
  • Options
    Lugo is en fuego!
  • Options
    Nice win tonight, Papi finally got ahold of one which is nice to see. I bet its just a funk he has to deal with more than his quads bothering him, hopefully he has his confidence back and his power #'s will improve.
  • Options
    I consider myself personally responsible for getting Lugomania off the ground - the man is on fire! image
  • Options
    Look at this..

JD Drew .260 BA 6 HR 33 RBI 1 SB
    Julio Lugo .209 BA 5 HR 40 RBI 24 SB

I hate to keep bashing on Drew but it is what it is..
  • Options

<< <i>I consider myself personally responsible for getting Lugomania off the ground - the man is on fire! image >>

imageimage
  • Options
    LETS GO BECKETT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Options

<< <i>Look at this..

JD Drew .260 BA 6 HR 33 RBI 1 SB
    Julio Lugo .209 BA 5 HR 40 RBI 24 SB

I hate to keep bashing on Drew but it is what it is.. >>

no argument here, Drew blows. Lugo does too, but I think Lugo cares about his suckiness.
  • Options
    J.D. "Blew"
  • Options
    Let's score some freakin runs guys, cant let the DAM ball boy beat us!
  • Options
    Yes I second that!

LETS SCORE SOME FREAKIN' RUNS GODDAMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    That loss was tough - especially looking at how well Beckett pitched. He essentially made two mistakes, both in the 2nd inning with 2 outs, that gave Toronto their 2 runs. But, the kid for Toronto was pretty tough as well, and our hitters must have spent the afternoon looking at Tina Cervasio when they should have been concentrating on the game.
  • Options
    Tough loss yet again, almost the majority of our losses we have been one hit or one pitch away from a victory it seems but I for one wont go there because it could go the other way as well.

Stilll though... image
  • Options
    I don't like only have a single digit lead. It feels like we're one slump away from letting the Yankees back into this thing.

While the Royals have been playing really well lately, I don't think we should be happy with anything less than a sweep and I think we should probably take 3 of 4 from the White Sox following that.

• Options

<< <i>Tough loss yet again, almost the majority of our losses we have been one hit or one pitch away from a victory it seems but I for one wont go there because it could go the other way as well.

Stilll though... image >>

the difference between teams that succeed in the playoffs and teams that fail is one hit or one pitch. This team needs to grow a pair.