Home Sports Talk

2007 RED SOX CHAMPIONSHIP RUN

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but these stints of not scoring runs, our 4th and 5th starters playing Dr.Heckyl and Mr.Hide coupled with the very easy schedule the Yanks have on their plate for like the next month scares the $hit out of me. We all realize the reprocussions if the Yanks catch us right? Not pretty. And again.. image
  • 1978 all over again and it would ease the pain a little from 2004.

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Perkdog, I agree. A couple weeks ago I might have said the Red Sox didn't need to make a move, but clearly there are parts in the machine that either aren't working at all or need some serious help.

My main concern right now is lack of outfield depth. Drew and Pena both suck and Hinske, while occasionnaly impressive, isn't really an every day option either. I'm not saying go out and get Reggie Sanders (I read he would like to go to Boston), but why not bring Ellsbury back up? At the very least he appears to want to play and he tries hard which is more than Drew could claim.

I'm also growing concerned about Youkilis's health. He seems to still be bothered by that leg injury as evidenced by his declining numbers (.207 for the month of July). Without a healthy Youkilis the Sox also look shallow at the corners. When healthy both Lowell and Youk are great, but what happens if one of them goes down? Hinske who is batting under .200?

And finally Wakefield and Tavarez. I don't think there's anything the Sox can or should do about Wakefield, but the inconsistency of the knuckle ball is certainly frustrating. Par for the course, I suppose. But Tavarez has yet to go longer than 7 innings this season, his 5.15 ERA leaves a lot to be desired, his WHIP is no good, and he's not pitching like he's trying to save his spot in the rotation anymore. I don't know whose available that would be an improvement, but like a previous board member mentioned, I wouldn't mind seeing Gabbard take over the #5 spot if and when Schilling returns. And maybe if we can hold on for another month and a half we call up some of those great minor league arms we've been hearing about?
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Damn these freaking Kansas City Royals. They have to pick now to actually start playing baseball?

It seems like the little nagging injuries are catching up with the Sox a bit. Ortiz is definitely hurting, and probably will be all season long. Youk has been nicked up a bit too, and a strong wind blew over Fenway last night so J.D. Drew is probably going to be out for 15 days.

We need Schilling back, and healthy. And, can we get Lester up for the 5 spot? Or, is there something going on with him? I don't like this current trend. Next thing you know, the Yankee "fans" who haven't posted jack squat on these forums since May 1st will be coming back with their chests puffed out, like they knew all along they would be back in the race. Yeah, right. (Dan, you are not in that group! I know you are a true fan.)
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> We need Schilling back, and healthy. And, can we get Lester up for the 5 spot? Or, is there something going on with him? I don't like this current trend. Next thing you know, the Yankee "fans" who haven't posted jack squat on these forums since May 1st will be coming back with their chests puffed out, like they knew all along they would be back in the race. Yeah, right. (Dan, you are not in that group! I know you are a true fan.) >>

Jerry,

I really appreciate your final comment of the above quote. Yes I do .....

It really is such a long damn season. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. At the moment the Sox lead that has diminished to 7 games (6 in the loss column) to me is still an expected fluxuation in the midst of a ultra marathon called a baseball season. We all know it can be back to 11 in a FLASH.

BUT my biggest arguement all season (and it is as old as the hills) is that two, three, and even four week trends are not what a fan should expect over the duration of such a long season. Don't get me wrong, I would be feeling quite brash having at one point a 14 game lead over my lifelong rival. Given the FACT that the Yankees are not nearly as miserable of a ball club that most Sox fans have had fun poking fun at (for good reason) it should be at least a bit alarming that the Sox have just SIX less losses then the Yankees at this point.

Cellar dwellers, horrible, etc, etc, have been thrown around and that is expected. SIX. Thats all that seperates the two teams as far as losses go ...... is it not amazing? And yet a lesson once again?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .500 ball for two and a half months is not the mark of a WS bound team. Agree that we need a spark in the OF (Ellsbury?/Junior Griffey?). Agree about Youk too. We need to mash, and need our big boys to lead the way too. Also need Tek to provide some fire (and offense). What is the latest with Jon Lester?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    I'm sick.

Now where exactly did I put that bottle of prozac from last year........
    Capecards
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimageimageimage

I knew the Yankee fans would come out of the woodwork. Welcome Back, boys! image
    I would take Ellsbury in a second in our lineup! I would even say lead him off? Willie-Mo needs to go down to triple A IMO, enough with the"He's capable of hitting the ball 500 feet" thing! For every HR this guy hits he will strike out 250X;s Another thing, I am getting a little annoyed with Francona to be honest, enough with putting Drew in leadoff or the second hole, if he cant see that this guy is incapable of producing right now the he needs to wake up.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would take Ellsbury in a second in our lineup! I would even say lead him off? Willie-Mo needs to go down to triple A IMO, enough with the"He's capable of hitting the ball 500 feet" thing! For every HR this guy hits he will strike out 250X;s Another thing, I am getting a little annoyed with Francona to be honest, enough with putting Drew in leadoff or the second hole, if he cant see that this guy is incapable of producing right now the he needs to wake up. >>

Drew sucks and has been a huge rally killer --- even Lugo has more RBIs. Drew should be batting 8th.

<< <i>What is the latest with Jon Lester? >>

I don't have the latest on him, but I'll go pick him up and drive him to Fenway myself if it will get Tavarez out of the rotation.
    Well, at least there's been some good news today . . . the Yankees finally lost and JD Drew's hamstring is bothering him enough that he's not in the starting lineup. Maybe we'll have some production out of the leadoff spot tonight? Of course, that means we'll also get to see 3 or 4 Ks from Wily Mo, but at least it won't be at the top of the order.

I haven't heard any news on Lester recently, but I looked up his Pawtucket numbers. He's 4-5 with a 3.89 ERA after 14 games (2 of which were complete games). He's thrown 51 Ks in 71 2/3 innings. His WHIP is a decent 1.37.

While looking up Lester's numbers I saw that Devern Hansack appears to have some good stuff. 3.35 ERA, 92 Ks, 1.12 WHIP. He's also 29 years old so he should have the maturity to play in the majors if he's got the stuff. Anybody know more about him?

Maybe we can build a little momentum after this Yankee loss, and maybe they can start a nice little downward spiral?

Hey maybe Willie Mo can take a titanic swing with his eyes shut and crush one?
    I got an idea guys....

LETS WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DONT CARE HOW...JUST WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good call perkdog. I don't care how many "freakin' runs" we score tonight as long as we win! We've got to try to bury the Yankees every night because they are not going away.
    Exactly! We need to play the rest of the way like we are chasing them for god-sakes! I just wish guys like Drew and the rest of our guys would think like that Ya know?
    Tonights game might get rained out, if so, another day to reflect on the Kansas City emmbaressment might do them some good.....
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gabbard looks like the number 5 when (if?) Schilling gets back to form (reports are good that his progress will land him back in the rotation soon enough).

Pitching matters not when you can't score a freaking run (ask the Houston Astros of seasons past)
    I don't want the game to be rained out . . . I just have the nagging feeling that a double header won't be good for the team and if they have to make up the game some other time, chances are the Sox would be better served with an off-day whenever the make-up is scheduled.

Besides, if it were me playing the games, I think I'd want to get the awful taste of losing out of my mouth ASAP.
    Stop me if you've heard this one before . . .

Late one night, a yankees fan and a red sox fan crash head-on while driving across a bridge. Both are okay, but their cars are pretty banged up, so they will have to call the police.

"This is a sign" said the Yankees fan, "that we should put away our differences and live as friends instead of rivals."

"You're right" said the Red Sox fan. Then he opened up his trunk and took out a bottle of whiskey. "Let's toast our newfound friendship!"

The Yankees fan takes a big swig and hands back the bottle. "Your turn!" he said.

"Nah" returned the Rex Sox fan, tossing the bottle into the river. "I think i'll just wait for the police to show up."

And, right now - we need some freaking runs! Sox pitching has only given up 3 hits through 7, and we're still losing.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    ok well "let's score some freakin runs" "let's win some freakin games" Let's beat the freakin Yanks" anything I missed?
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    WTF is going on with the Sox? 11 singles 2 runs against the White Sox? After loosing 2 of 3 to one of the worst teams in b-ball, this is getting really, really f-ing old. Knowing that the yankees lost earlier today should have given them some damn motivation. The worst of all is that all of these games are at Fenway where we need to beat up on these weak teams. How about a suggestion...................Lets take these next 3 games from the pale hose and go on the road where we have the 2nd best record in the AL.

Exactly what is John Lester's address, if they don't call him up soon, I will be knocking on his door to drive him to Fenway - I will beat you to it ctsoxfan cause Tavarez and his bi-polar pitching has got to go. I am f-ing pissed!!!
    All I have to say as lets look at this like a temporary stock market crash. Lets NOT lose our heads here, I am soooooooooooo f-in annoyed believe me! ( Notice I regularly use the word "F-IN" instead of "Freakin" now) We are getting a steady diet of bull$hit losses and the Yanks are playing good ball but we weathered this type of storm earlier so lets try to do it again here, Youk as had some serious oppurtunities to come up with a huge basehit and failed that Ive noticed, hopefully he will get hot again, that is one thing we need to happen, I love his intensity like last night when he smashed his gear after k'ing with 2 outs and men on last night! Lets stick by our guys and hope we can get through this funk! Francona needs to plead with the brass to get Ellsbury up and playing, lets give this kid a shot again, we can use his speed and hunger, I dont think it would hurt to let Drew watch from the bench for awhile right? Hopefully we will get Schill back this weekend and he will get it going. We got Beckett coming up so lets keep the faith! Is Lester going to provide the spark though? He hasnt been exactly lights out in AAA.. I think putting him in there while we are in distress might not be the best move right now. AGAIN, we do need to make some type of move, anything to provide a different look and a spark of some sort.
  • Sox need to do something about Drew, he is obviously hurt and they need someone more reliable. Gabbard might very well be there 5th starter. And they need to bring up Ellsbury.
    I like Youk's intensity also. It's good to see that he cares when he strikes out . . . I'd just like to see a little less of that, you know? How about some intensity following a big hit? I think he's hurt though so I'm not expecting much from him right now. The rest of the team has got to step up and play bigger.

I'm a little worried and slightly perplexed by the tendency towards playing more small ball this year. While it's nice to see that we've got a lot of great hitters that can slap singles or sac bunt, it doesn't do us much good if the guys that get paid the big bucks can't drive them in. The 7th inning was a perfect example. Pedroia singled with one out and that was great. Papi's single was a good hit off of a tough pitch. But then Manny's drive to deep center was a long shot that yielded nothing. Then Youkilis got rung up on an inning ending KO. I guess my point is that we need more than just singles . . . we need a healthy diet of doubles and homers too in order to drive in our singles hitters.

I am hoping this is just a slump and the Red Sox will work through this. But I'm nervous. We've gone from the best team in the league to a team that is tied with Cleveland for the wild card lead so we'd better hold onto the lead in the East.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    Some of youse guys sound like the Chisox fans of 2005. Just relax and let them play, they will still win 95 games and finish first. Enjoy the season. Oh and yeah have some teach Dice W how to throw the ball over the plate. He was too cute by 100 last night. You can't expect that some those guys like Yuke will have the same 2nd half as the first. Bosox are in good shape and all they need to do is play 500. Pox on the poster who called the Chisox one of the worst teams, they have played uninspired ball but too much talent to relegate them to the "worst" pile. But then what do expect from a Bosox fan, dignity and common sense? image
    How about something to lighten the mood:

On the first day of school a first grade teacher explains to her class that she is a Yankees fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they, too, are Yankees fans. Wanting to impress their teacher, everyone in the class raises their hand except one little girl. The teacher looks at the girl with surprise, "Janie, why didn't you raise your hand?" "Because I'm not a Yankees fan," she replied.

The teacher, still shocked, asked, "Well, if you are not a Yankees fan, then who are you a fan of?" "I am a Red Sox fan, and proud of it," Janie replied. The teacher could not believe her ears. "Janie, why the hell are you a Red Sox fan?" "Because my mom is a Red Sox fan, and my dad is Red Sox fan, so I'm a Red Sox fan too!"

"Well," said the teacher in a obviously annoyed tone, "that is no reason for you to be a Red Sox fan. You don't have to be just like your parents all of the time. What if your mom were an idiot and your dad were a moron, what would you be then?"

"Then," Janie smiled, "I'd be a Yankees fan."

<< <i>Some of youse guys sound like the Chisox fans of 2005. Just relax and let them play, they will still win 95 games and finish first. Enjoy the season. Oh and yeah have some teach Dice W how to throw the ball over the plate. He was too cute by 100 last night. You can't expect that some those guys like Yuke will have the same 2nd half as the first. Bosox are in good shape and all they need to do is play 500. Pox on the poster who called the Chisox one of the worst teams, they have played uninspired ball but too much talent to relegate them to the "worst" pile. But then what do expect from a Bosox fan, dignity and common sense? image >>

I appreciate your optimism, but disagree with your math. If the Red Sox win half of their remaining 67 games they'll finish with 90 wins and not 95. I'm pretty sure 90 wins won't garner a playoff spot in the AL. They don't teach arithmetic in Chicago anymore? image

<< <i>How about something to lighten the mood:

On the first day of school a first grade teacher explains to her class that she is a Yankees fan. She asks her students to raise their hands if they, too, are Yankees fans. Wanting to impress their teacher, everyone in the class raises their hand except one little girl. The teacher looks at the girl with surprise, "Janie, why didn't you raise your hand?" "Because I'm not a Yankees fan," she replied.

The teacher, still shocked, asked, "Well, if you are not a Yankees fan, then who are you a fan of?" "I am a Red Sox fan, and proud of it," Janie replied. The teacher could not believe her ears. "Janie, why the hell are you a Red Sox fan?" "Because my mom is a Red Sox fan, and my dad is Red Sox fan, so I'm a Red Sox fan too!"

"Well," said the teacher in a obviously annoyed tone, "that is no reason for you to be a Red Sox fan. You don't have to be just like your parents all of the time. What if your mom were an idiot and your dad were a moron, what would you be then?"

"Then," Janie smiled, "I'd be a Yankees fan." >>

e-gads .... I got an e-mail last month of the same joke. Except, of course, the teams were flipped flopped in it image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Some of youse guys sound like the Chisox fans of 2005. Just relax and let them play, they will still win 95 games and finish first. Enjoy the season. Oh and yeah have some teach Dice W how to throw the ball over the plate. He was too cute by 100 last night. You can't expect that some those guys like Yuke will have the same 2nd half as the first. Bosox are in good shape and all they need to do is play 500. Pox on the poster who called the Chisox one of the worst teams, they have played uninspired ball but too much talent to relegate them to the "worst" pile. But then what do expect from a Bosox fan, dignity and common sense? image >>

I appreciate your optimism, but disagree with your math. If the Red Sox win half of their remaining 67 games they'll finish with 90 wins and not 95. I'm pretty sure 90 wins won't garner a playoff spot in the AL. They don't teach arithmetic in Chicago anymore? image >>

It was illustrative not mathematical, you have to remember who your audience is when addressing them. I didn't want to make it to difficult to follow, besides it was meant to be humerous and you did get my point. image If a team goes 50 and 45 it wouldn't be incorrect to say they played just above 500.......verstae? Now go check the spelling on verstae.
    The Sox get an extra base hit with runners in scoring position and finally put a crooked number on the board - (as Joe would say...............) do you believe it?
    Lugomania's running wild! image

(And, f-you Tim McClelland!)
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Awesome game! I just got back from it. Not only was it dramatic in that the two worst, most slumping hitters carried the win, I even got a chance to meet and shake hands with Luis Tiante! One of my great, childhood heros!
    image .... This is all I can muster right now. LOOOOOOOOOOOONG day at my buddies... MANY MANY image
    Wow perkdog . . . it's late there isn't it? Usually after too many beers I have a hard time finding the computer, let alone typing anything.

Lugo looks like the 2nd half MVP so far. I hope we didn't use up all our runs in this one game though! Keep it up Sox!
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    how bout that grand slam tonite perk sox 10!!!!!!!!!
    Lugo Mania struck last night huh! A strong performance by Beckett was well needed and we broke out some runs which is nice to see. Yanks lost 2 in a row maybe we can get a little Red Sox win/Yankees lose streak going on.....
    Nice job tonight right! Where is everyone???
    only 7:30 here image
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    sox win again 10 yesterday, 11 tonight!

<< <i>Nice job tonight right! Where is everyone??? >>

Lugomania has now been replaced by Crispmania!

I seem to remember someone telling me that both Crisp and Josh Beckett were no good. I can't remember who that was, however...
    I love watching guy's like Crisp and Lugo step up and have big nights and contribute to a win,and how about Gabbard? Not exactly great #'s as far as K's go but 7 innings of great pitching! And another win for the weaker end of the rotation!
  • I would not be hitting Lugo first, thats for sure lol. I dont care how hot he gets.
    Lugo has some speed, if he could get his average up a bit more I would rather him leading off than Drew.
    I think Gabbard might stick in the rotation in place of Tavarez - and while I like that idea, I don't like that it will keep Lester down for perhaps the rest of the season. Who knows, though?

Ortiz is out again today thanks to that belly flop of a slide he did Friday night which hurt his shoulder. I like to see him hustle like that, but he might have overdid it there.

<< <i>
    Ortiz is out again today thanks to that belly flop of a slide he did Friday night which hurt his shoulder. I like to see him hustle like that, but he might have overdid it there. >>

Was that slide the cause of the earthquake in Oakland the other day ????? Whoops, the Sox were at home .... sorry image

Danny Boy! I like that you still pop in for a quick jab now and then! Where you been? By the way how is your version of a fat 40 year old doing? 28 million ways to describe him Im sure.. image
    you know how it is Paul. When the Yanks are winning I am here. When they are losing I get lost with all the other crappy NY fans image

They are televising the game here in LV! Nice HR Manny!