Home Sports Talk

2007 RED SOX CHAMPIONSHIP RUN

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh forgot to add....

• WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    I didn't see the game, although I was listening to it. The announcers mentioned that Carmona was on his game - maybe even better than his 9 inning shutout of the Twins against Santana. Borowski hadn't pitched in 5 days, so he had more than full rest. It happens, we'll get em' tomorrow. Gabbard is pitching lights out lately and Lee is struggling.
  • WeekendHackerWeekendHacker Posts: 1,445 ✭✭
    Oh, I almost forgot......................

A Red Sox fan liked to amuse himself by scaring every Yankees fan he saw strutting down the street in an obnoxious NY pinstripe shirt. He would swerve his van as if to hit them, then swerve back just missing them.

One day while driving along, he saw a priest. He thought he would do a good deed, so he pulled over and asked the priest, "Where are you going, Father?"

"I'm going to give Mass at St. Francis church, about two miles down the road," replied the priest.

"Climb in, Father. I'll give you a lift!" The priest climbed into the passenger seat, and they continued down the road.

Suddenly, the driver saw a Yankees fa n walking down the road, and he instinctively swerved as if to hit him. But, as usual, he swerved back onto the road just in time.

Even though he was certain that he had missed the guy, he still heard a loud THUD. not knowing where the noise came from, he glanced in his mirrors but still didn't see anything.

He then remembered the priest, and he turned to the priest and said, "Sorry Father, I almost hit that Yankees fan."

"That's OK," replied the priest "I got him with the door."
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    That's a good one Michael. That had me actually laughing out loud.

Tonight's game was frustrating for me. Yes, Carmona was on his game, but so was Beckett. In fact, I thought Beckett looked sharper than Carmona but he made that one mistake. Meanwhile, our offense made several mistakes and looked really uninspired all around.

• "I know these 1-0 games are considered "good baseball" by some but you know what? F that $hit! A buncha crap 1 run in two games gimme a break! I respect the tribe but their pitching is a not that good so we cant score on these guys? "

Carmona and Sabathia are two of the best starting pitchers in the A.L. as evidenced by the past two games. I hope they make a deal to get another starter. Lee and Westbrook arent on their game yet, but if they get rolling watch out.

Yesterdays game and today's were great to watch.
    image Last nights game REALLY PI$$ED me off.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image Last nights game REALLY PI$$ED me off. >>

Payback is a beech. image Here's to Gabbard making it 3 out of 4!! image
    Oh, and nice of Manny to scrach his ass in the on-deck circle instead of doing his job to help Coco with his baserunning. image
  • I'm hoping Gabbard has a meltdown to go with what I expect to be a bad start for Lee, My fantasy teams need offense so the following players need to HIT HIT HIT!

Pedroia (the only sox i have on any of my teams)

Victor M.
    Grady
    Travis
    Casey.... do it! image
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    Wow, everyone is really down on Cliff Lee thinking he will be an easy win against. Yes, Lee has had his share of problems this year but he is a pitcher who certainly has moments of brilliance. With the Indians also in the race for the division lead and wildcard, you can be assured they will be playing full throttle. Warning to Red Sox: Dont take Cliff Lee too lightly!!
  • the sad part is if cliff lee gives up 6 runs tonight it will actually LOWER my team ERA for the week (ahem! thank you Kenny rogers, Tom Gorzellany, et.al.)
    LETS GO GABBARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>LETS GO GABBARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

I'd rather see Gabbard let up ten runs and win the game with Sox offense scoring 12. Seems to me there are some "issues" with the Sox offense, or lack thereof.
  • all you need is Cliff Lee to pitch batting practice! voila! instant offense.

"Wow, everyone is really down on Cliff Lee thinking he will be an easy win against. Yes, Lee has had his share of problems this year but he is a pitcher who certainly has moments of brilliance. With the Indians also in the race for the division lead and wildcard, you can be assured they will be playing full throttle. Warning to Red Sox: Dont take Cliff Lee too lightly!! "

oh I dont take him lightly. he should be shot image They need to bench this clown and get another starter.
  • yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭
    LOL Yup, Lee did end up tossing batting practice. I was wrong!
    Thank you Cliff Lee and all of Kansas City. I feel better tonight than I did last night. The beers I have had tonight didn't hurt my mood either. image
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    14-9

0-7

How sweet it is!

Can skip the prozac tonight........
    Capecards
    I think the Sox did the right thing by playing Wily Mo...it was the same as putting out a "for sale" sign. One more game in which he hits a couple pitches well and there is bound to be some team interested in him.
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Did you see how long Manny's HR was tonight? I believe the graphic on tv said it was the third longest HR hit out of Jacobs Field, ever.

You have to admit, taking 3 out of 4 from a tough team like Cleveland is nice. And, they played 2 of those games without Ortiz. The Yankees have been winning by beating the absolute worst teams in baseball (except tonight!). When they play an actual team with a winning record, you can bet things will be different.
    I feel a little bit better but honestly 1 Red Sox win and 1 Yankee loss does not erase the doubts that I have. Pena's HR was nice to see but we all know whats up next for him, he prolly will go another 30-40 ab's without a basehit. We need to make a move this week, our bench is just dreadfull if you ask me, as far as pitching goes do any of you think they will move Lester? Taking 3 out of 4 from a very tough Tribe team feels good though, I was thinking after that 1-0 loss the other night that we were heading into another offensive drought again... maybe I was wrong? Lets hope so.. TB on the plate next and the bottom line is we need to smash them, no question about it.

Barndog, that "for sale" line cracked me up. And I think you're spot on. Teams need to get the impression that if he plays everyday he'll eventually hit like that. I mean, isn't that what the Red Sox used to think? Pena needs to go to a team that's not trying to win right now.

New York gets Baltimore next so I don't think we've got any extra breathing room. We do have to smash the D-Rays.

I'd hate to see them move Lester. It seems like a bad PR move at this point too after all the warm-fuzzies about him battling back from cancer. If any pitcher gets moved my best guess would be Tavarez - because he's proven his versatility (and he's no longer that important to us).
    after the 5th last night, it is clear that Gabbard is headed back to AAA when Schilling returns. Lester should be the #5. Tavarez is entirely expendable and fills no role other than to yammer away at Matsuzaka. So what would Tavarez, Wily Mo, and some yet-to-be-named prospect bring before the deadline? Unless the prospect is a sure-thing, the Sox fall short of someone like Texiera.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Throw in Coco for Torri Hunter?
    Nice to see Wake pitch a decent game...

It's that whole being in a dome thing for Wakefield. He's always so much better inside because, I think, there's no wind and the temperature is controlled and consistent.

It was nice to see the offense give him some run support. This is the kind of game we're supposed to win, but it's still reassuring when it works out that way.

<< <i>Throw in Coco for Torri Hunter? >>

Torri Hunter is one of my favorite players in baseball who's not on the Red Sox - and, I remember him saying a few years back how much he loved playing in Fenway (but, a lot of players say that). He would be fantastic in CF - but Crisp is really coming on lately. He's had the second highest BA in baseball since early June, and we all have seen him with the glove. But Hunter in CF in Fenway? That would be nice!

Lester isn't being traded. The Sox have several young arms other teams want, but unless you get back a top player in return, I don't see trading any of them yet. I'd bet they acquire someone before Tuesday to bolster the bench, but not a big name type player.
  • I can see the demand for JD Drew before the July 31 deadline just off the charts!

NOT

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."

<< <i>I can NOT see the demand for JD Drew before the July 31 deadline just off the charts! >>

-Borat
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets Go Tonight Jonny Lester!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
    WTF was that in the Sox half of the first? A little plate discipline? Bueller?
    That was the Pawtucket team up at bat image

WTG Manny with that running catch. The looks completely asleep out there in the outfield, but makes many great plays.
    !@#% Gomes! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WTF Papelbon cant pitch more than one inning????
    well, the yanks lost, so Middle of the 11th I am headed out

<< <i>WTF Papelbon cant pitch more than one inning???? >>

don't think I'd have wanted him in there for more than one tonight image
    true, now after I have been swear AT Youkilis all night......image

<< <i>

don't think I'd have wanted him in there for more than one tonight image >>

Pap made one bad pitch -- unfortunately it was at the bad time. However, after his mistake and blown save, he kept it tied by getting them out in order. This is what makes him a truly great closer.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pap made one bad pitch -- unfortunately it was at the bad time. However, after his mistake and blown save, he kept it tied by getting them out in order. This is what makes him a truly great closer. >>

he's too junior to call him a truly great closer. Mariano Rivera is a truly great closer. Papelbon is a young guy with plenty of promise.
  • Pap Smear needs to be able to go out now and again and throw more than one inning. He looked like he got the crap kicked out of him after that homer.
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    damn curse of the goat lol
    randy
    After Papelbon blew the save, it was doubtful he would come out again for another inning. I don't think many closers would. Snyder did a nice job at the end, unfortunately Lester (and my fantasy teams) lost out on the W.
    Up to 9 games. Im glad we got out of there with the win, good job Sox and excellent job Baltimore! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Pap made one bad pitch -- unfortunately it was at the bad time. However, after his mistake and blown save, he kept it tied by getting them out in order. This is what makes him a truly great closer. >>

he's too junior to call him a truly great closer. Mariano Rivera is a truly great closer. Papelbon is a young guy with plenty of promise. >>

Details, details -- OK this is what makes him to POTENTIALLY be one of the great closers. I certainly have not put him in the HOF yet.

<< <i>Pap Smear needs to be able to go out now and again and throw more than one inning. He looked like he got the crap kicked out of him after that homer. >>

Yeah, he really sucked getting 3 straight outs after the home run.

<< <i>

<< <i>Pap Smear needs to be able to go out now and again and throw more than one inning. He looked like he got the crap kicked out of him after that homer. >>

Yeah, he really sucked getting 3 straight outs after the home run. >>

I know! What game did you watch Boba Fett?
    Tough loss last night, I really did not want to settle for anything less than a sweep but at least we won the series. Lets continue to march along....
    What do you guys think, are the Red Sox going to make any deals before the deadline? It seems pretty obvious that by playing Pena so much they were showcasing his abilities . . . thankfully he didn't strike out ever time up.

I've read that most teams want guys like Bucholz, Ellsbury, Okajima, and Lester. If that's the price, I say none of the rumored trades would be worth it. If the price is Pena and a minor leaguer though . . .

I love this time of year, especially now that the Sox have ownership and management that wants to win and has a vision for how to get there (and stay there).
  • Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I recall hearing on WEEI that the Jermaine Dye deal got the AX 'cause they wanted Okijima in the deal and Oki is currenly untouchable right now with the Red Sox.
    trade Lowell, Pena, and minor leaguer for Tori hunter and have Lowell come back next year? (escape plan) j/k
    That's not a bad plan. Torii has already said that he wants to go to a bigger market and I'm 99% certain that I recall the Twins were interested in Lowell.