Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1977 Topps Baseball Official Thread

I didn't see any official thread for the '77s, so I decided to start one! image

I won't be collecting anything but the rookies from the set, but I noticed that one of the rookies in PSA 10 went for nearly $2k with BIN! Here's the link...

PSA 10 Andre Dawson Rookie
* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
* C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
* T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
* L. TIANT BASIC #1
* DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
* MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
* PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
* '65 DISNEYLAND #2
* '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
* '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

Comments

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    By the way, I'm collecting and looking for the following rookie cards in PSA 8 or better (preferably in PSA 9).....

473 Andre Dawson RC
    488 Jack Clark RC / Ruppert Jones RC / Lee Mazzilli RC
    476 Dale Murphy RC
    491 Denny Martinez RC (Have a PSA 9 already)
    161 Garry Templeton RC
    494 Jim Gantner RC
    144 Bruce Sutter RC
    291 Jason Thompson RC
    136 Jerry Mumphrey RC
    175 Butch Wynegar RC
    492 Steve Kemp RC / Tony Armas RC
    474 Craig Reynolds RC
    475 Scott McGregor RC
    489 Greg Minton RC
    397 Larry Herndon RC
    493 Mike Krukow RC
    104 Omar Moreno RC

........if anyone can help me, I'd appreciate it! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Arny:

Omar Moreno and Jason Thompson are two of the harder cards of this set.

Scott

My sets:
    1977 Topps Star Wars - "Space Swashbucklers"
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking for three cards in the 1977 Topps set...

# 210, Fred Lynn
    # 288, Bob Montgomery
    # 455, Rick Wise

Grade PSA 8 or 9, with no qualifiers. Please contact me if you have one or more.

Thanks.
  • I'm working on the Brewers team set and I need Yount, Gorman Thomas and Jerry Augustine in a PSA 9 or better image
  • Isn't the Steve Luebber card supposed to be the toughest? There was an article about this set in SMR a few months ago. It sounds like it is the second toughest set of the '70s.
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info Scott!

Czar, my screename is SportsCardMan on eBay. There's a link to some of my auctions that I'm running right now in my sig. Great job on that J.Clark 10! Wow! Did you submit that one or pick it up already graded?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • I've picked up a few of the rookies, but I wanted to see if anyone has a Luis Tiant or Tony Perez in PSA 9 or 10 they are willing to sell.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Love your new sig image, Arny.

In retrospect, maybe it's good Luis didn't have a '72...another card would have messed up the symmetry of your image image
  • Thank you sir! image

Yes, the '77 is all I need to complete that sig. But, I've got the '81 Donruss, '81 Fleer, '82 Topps & '83 Topps to add still to that sig. Guess I gotta shrink down those pics just a bit...or, maybe go over the size limit by a tinge image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Arny,
    So what's the significance of Camilo Pascual and Luis Tiant if you don't mind me asking? (other than the fact that they were both underrated pitchers and both from Cuba)

Mike

• << <i>Arny,
    So what's the significance of Camilo Pascual and Luis Tiant if you don't mind me asking? (other than the fact that they were both underrated pitchers and both from Cuba)

Mike >>

Mike,

You pretty much summed it up with what it is the parenthesis there. I'm a Cuban-American (born and raised in So Cal and relocated to South Florida image ) and it's just something that I enjoy to do. I was toying with the idea of putting together some of the vintage Cuban sets, but the cash needed to complete one of those is pretty substantial compared to picking up some of the more contemporary Cuban stars.

My next two (I've already started them) are Tony Perez and Tony Oliva. Then, I will be working on some others down the road. Just that "fun" part of the hobby creeping into things. You know, you can't just think of makin' money here, can ya'? image

I'm still working on finishing my '84 Donruss (almost there!) and my '72 Topps Baseball (just a stone's throw away from finishing!) and then I'll work towards finishing my '85 Topps Football set. From there, no big sets anymore! image

The player sets and smaller sets (200 cards or less) are more fun for me right now. Although, if I stay away from the big sets for awhile, I'll probably get that itch again!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • I hear ya' Arny. I've had more fun putting together player sets than anything else. And regarding Tiant, I read "The Long Ball" by Tom Adelman a few months ago which is about the '75 season & World Series and he had a good chunk of information about Tiant and his father, etc. Makes it easy to be a fan of Tiant.
  • Av-

I have one in more store below. The scan is horrible. Really a sharp clean card!

Matt
  • Matt, would you take $15 delivered for it?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Bearkat21Bearkat21 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about starting this set. What is it like making a run at this one. I think I would like to just do it in an 8 and maybe a few key cards in 9. Any suggestions.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Bear, my set is at roughly 8.5. Doing the set in all 8's would pretty much be a breeze at this point except for a few low pops. You can sometimes acquire large lots of 8's on ebay for much less than the cost of grading fees. Some of the keys in 9 are going to cost you though. Yaz is around $80 in 9, the last Sutter I noticed was over $100 and some of the tough cards in 9 such as Munson, Candelaria, the aforementioned Luebber, as well as others are costly.
    Dave
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • bear-

ditto what magellan said a few more toughies are gross, stone, singer, hunter, guidry. If your going to jump in nows the time as its really a bargain at the moment compared to 78's imo due to no competition and 77 unopened is really tough to find and usually provides the same mushy stock results. I purchased a couple vending cases a few yrs back from bbc with good results and another source that was soso and missed out on another from steve which i think uncommons bought but thats not a fact. He seems to keep popping blazing cards which leads me to believe he might have been the one to beat me to it. What I have left is the best of what ive pulled through the years.

For instance the candy went for a whopping 10 and change tonight which my napper failed otherwise i had a modest bid in just to own for awhile. Its one of the cards i havent been able to tackle in clean fashion. 10's have been all over the map 10 sold for 30-45 last month and ended tonight between 60-85.

Its a great colorful set when done in clean fashion.

Matt
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Looking for raw nm/mt cards, common or hof.

i am not grading these, but want to simply compile a nice raw set.

have us dollar bills and cardboard currency as well!!!

loving you all

julen
    RIP GURU
    I still need the '77 Tiant, so if anyone has one in PSA 9 or better please let me know! image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Arny you're cardboard collecting is OUT OF CONTROL!

you need a secretary just to keep up w/ your inventory i bet

yf

julen
    RIP GURU
    Julen, my secretary (aka wife) is very much in agreement with you.

But, I'm very focused on being unfocused....at least at this moment. image

Edited: Just check out my "other" sets and you'll see that I have quite a few that I'm working on. ArnyVee's Sets
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • If any of the '77 collectors happen to have an extra Catfish Hunter (#280) PSA 9, I'd be interested.

Mike
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Alright, I have really started to get interested in this set. Collected it when I was younger. Love these cards along with the 76 and 75s, probably bought more cards in those years than in any others. I would like to know a little about the set in as far as why did you start collecting it, do you think that there is enough unopen still out there to make some of the harder cards a little easier to get? I am not looking to do a straight 9 and 10 set, not that it is even possible. Checking on Ebay, even the PSA 8s look nice in this set. Any advice and help is welcome.

P.S. What are some of your favorite cards from the set??
  • LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I have a 77 Cloth Tiant in 9 or 10 if you are interested.

Any other 77 cloth collectors in this group? I need a few more 10s.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
    Is there no one currently doing this set??
  • DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    I'm currently working on the 77's. I'm almost at 30% completion. I don't thing many of the 77 set builders post on the boards. I'm a lurker; this is my first post.
    As for some of your questions. It doesn't seem to me like there is whole lot of unopened material left, and what is around can run a little pricey. I cracked two vending boxes recently with little luck. The vending goes form $200 to $400. Wax, if it's really unopened, can run $500 to $1000. I've purchased some packs on ebay from $18 -$25 per.
    I started this set because I love the design, and it's the year I was born. Kind of cheesy I know but It was always my favorite set.
    The psa 8's are pretty easy to find for about 95% of the set. 9's are a little tougher, but not impossible. 10's sometimes don't look much better than 8's, or 9's and can be next to impossible to find. Some people are paying crazy money for the 10's. Someone called "mikescardsdotcom" is buying up all the 10's that come up on ebay, and is paying well over $100 for some of them.
    I have a lot of 14 psa 8's up on ebay right now if your interested, they should go cheap.
    I think the cards I like the best are:
    #6 K Leaders, Ryan and Seaver. In my opinion one of the coolest cards of the decade.
    The Brett card is always a fav. it has great color.
    Fisk is also a great card! The picture is outstanding. Good luck finding one centered better than 70-30

"I'll be back,,, we'll make out" " High Five"
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I am "Summer of Sam" on the Registry and I intend to finish this set some year from now. I've been working on it since 2000 or so, and am only at about 50% in (mostly) PSA 9.

Compared to the '78 set, this one is just not very popular. So, you don't run into as much eBay material.

Catfish Hunter is a tough card, as is Thurman Munson. There are many, many commons lower than Pop Five...it adds to this set's challenge.

Good luck, Sting! Nice of you to resurrect this thread!

• basestealerbasestealer Posts: 1,579
    This guy's cards should be outlawed
    I bought a 77 Ryan form him some months ago just to see what kind of BS this guy is spitting. The card was not that bad, maybe a 7 or an 8 on good day. The holders he puts his cards in don't allow you to see the couners real well. Mine has two fuzzy corners, and 70-30 centering. The surface look great, the edges are ok, and the back is 50-50 perfect. I don't think what he is doing is right, but if people buy from him and keep his feedback above 99% what can you do?
    I'm going to crack the case and put the ryan into a nice raw set that I have going. Mostly cards that are perfect except for centering, or have slightly fuzzy corners. The kind of stuff that get a 7 or a qualifier.
    I bought 7 more 9's tonight from Gator05. He always has nice stuff.

"I'll be back,, we'll make out" "High Five"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • basestealerbasestealer Posts: 1,579

<< <i>I bought a 77 Ryan form him some months ago just to see what kind of BS this guy is spitting. The card was not that bad, maybe a 7 or an 8 on good day. The holders he puts his cards in don't allow you to see the couners real well. Mine has two fuzzy corners, and 70-30 centering. The surface look great, the edges are ok, and the back is 50-50 perfect. I don't think what he is doing is right, but if people buy from him and keep his feedback above 99% what can you do?
    I'm going to crack the case and put the ryan into a nice raw set that I have going. Mostly cards that are perfect except for centering, or have slightly fuzzy corners. The kind of stuff that get a 7 or a qualifier.
    I bought 7 more 9's tonight from Gator05. He always has nice stuff.

"I'll be back,, we'll make out" "High Five" >>

The card itself can be judged from the pictures (obviously not a 10 as the slab says), as ex-mint because of centering. What bothers me is his lie about his very own garage grading service:

<< <i>Winning bidder receives this beautiful investment-quality card which has been graded GEM 10 by Graded Rookies Authenticated (GRA). Along with Beckett and PSA, GRA has established itself as an industry leader in the grading of premium quality sportscards. WHY BUY FROM US? Six simple reasons. QUALITY -- featured by Beckett in the August 2001 Baseball Card Monthly, GRA GEM 10 cards are the best of the best, continually command some of the highest premiums in the hobby, and offer tremendous investment potental. >>

Cards I have just won:

Got to love these 77s!!!
    Basestealer:
    You are completely correct! What he says about his cards is totally off base, and should not be allowed. His cards are not anywhere near the "best of the best". That's a laugher.

Stingray:
    Nice stuff! Are those your first? That Staub is not an easy card, it always seems to have something that keeps it from being perfect. I've got 7 raw and each one either has a print flaw or is 80-20 off center.
    I'm known as Zoolander on the registry if anyone wants to check out my sets.

Let's keep this thread going

"I'll be back,, we'll make out" "High five"

Once I figure out how to post pics. I'll post the GRA 10 Ryan I cracked open last night.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Yes, they are basically my first cards, I have a Ted Simmons PSA 9 coming in the mail and a PSA 9 Alex Johnson (Tigers) that I bought months ago. The first of many, but I am going to try and win 2 a week, for money wise sake. And yes, let's keep this thread going.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any graded cards from this set, and I have no current plans to collect it (but if I keep reading this thread, you guys may talk me into it...), but it was the first set I bought a lot of cards from, and thus, like the 76 Football set, holds a special place in my heart.

Among my personal favorite cards are the previously mentioned Catfish Hunter, Brett and Fisk. The Tony Perez card is profoundly cool.

Looking through the set's rundown, I also like, among many others, the cards for Gaylord Perry, Bill Madlock, J.R. Richard, Ray Fosse, George Hendrick (a Golf visor image ), George Foster, Larry Dierker, Claudell Washington and Jose Cardenal (pushing his hair to Gambleian heights.)
    Please join us. I am just starting out and that is what I liked about collecting the 84 Donruss set is the great communication with the collectors.
    I have resigned my self to doing this set in PSA 9 and PSA 8 and if I get a few 10s thrown in there I will be happy, I have seen several 8s that look good enough for me. I am not going to start bidding on a common PSA 9 that has a low pop just to have it. My first priority is to just finish this set (maybe) and then upgrade as needed or wanted later on. I hope that you are able to someday finish this set in all PSA 10, but this seems an impossible task, for some cards still or may never receive that grade. Hope to seen more scans of everyone's purchases!!
    czar: Hope the job serarch goes well, I'd hate to see you have to stop with the all 10's set! That's really something specialimage

As for me, I'm with stringray, i'm going with 8's 9's and the occational 10 mixed in. After I finish the set I'll upgrade most of the cards to 9 over time. I'm also interested in the Burger King Yankees, the OPC and the cloth stickers from 77. Can you tell I love the design?
    I've started submitting team set requestes to PSA, yesterday I sent in the 77 Braves. Over the next few weeks I'm going to submit all the team sets that are not currently on the registry.
    I'm also thinking of starting a second set in all 7's. I'm sure there are a ton of them out there, but they don't end up on ebay because they don't sell. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

How do I post a scan? Sorry i't may take me a few weeks to get the hang of the message board.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Turn on your PM in your profile, click "allow private messages". What I do to insert image is, say it is an image on ebay, I will right click on the image, copy the properties of the image, then when you com back to do your message, click the box with the picture frame, paste in the properties info that was copied from ebay and insert it. You can not though copy images off your computer (C: drive) will not work, you have to use a hosting website for those images. Hope this is clear.

As far as PSA 7s, that is tough, just not sure money wise if it would be worth it.
    OK lets give this a try. Thanks Stingray!
    These are some of the harder to find cards that i've picked up in the last few weeks.

imageimageimageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

Ok I updated the order of the photos
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Nice, that is the kind of stuff I like to see on this thread. Love that Perez!!
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    czar...so that means that you are not "mikescardsdotcom"? The guy who is buying up every single 10 on ebay?

Or, is this how you're spending your severance check? image

Nick
    Yes, who is this Mikescardsdotcom person??
    Good call Nick.
    I was also wondering who "mikescardsdotcom" is????? If's not czar, then it's someone not on the registry.
    If I see "Mikescarddotcom" in the bidders list I don't even bother.

"Ill be back,,, we'll make out" "High Five"

PS
    MLB dropped the ball on that protested game last week. They really opened up a can of worms.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Just bought this one:

Love the image on this one!
    He does have some decent prices on PSA 9s, but he is asking $75 for his PSA 10s, not for me please.