Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1977 Topps Baseball Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain these Munsons to me??

LINK
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    I think what we have here is someone who does not know about the Burger King Yankees set. They think it an error.
    I have several of the Burger King Munson's. If he looks on the back the number of the Burger King Munson (NON All Star) is #2.

To stay on this topic, does anyone know what the deal is with the Burger King Yankees Lou Pinniella. It is card number 23, but the Burger King Yankees team card only goes up to 22. Also, one just went for over $25 in SGC 92. It said Short Print in the listing.
    Anyone???

Link to the BK Pinniella
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    There might be some good info in this thread:

LINK
  • Options
    Yes, that thread had a ton of great info, Thanks!
    Those Burger King guys are very serious about their sets. I was very impressed. There are a bunch of 77's ending Sunday. I may pick up a couple.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    A couple more:

imageimage

PSA 8s do not too bad, so why not??
  • Options
    Those are nice! Looks like good centering.
    I sold a nice lot of (13) 8's tonight, they went cheap, like $3.00 each. With the money from that sale and a couple of other items I had listed I picked up 29 psa 8's.
    that should put me at about 34%. Not bad but a long way to go.
    I'll post some pics soon
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Stingray, those cards look superb for 8's. Nice pickups !

BTW, your scans look really, really nice. Do you mind if I ask what brand of scanner you use ? Mine is a cheapie that was getting me by since my last one crapped out a while back and Im ready to get something new and wanted some info on a good quality scanner.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, sting...I love your scanned photos, too.

What settings do you use? My stuff looks like total crap compared to yours!

Nick
  • Options
    Sorry those scanned pictures are just from the Ebay auctions.
  • Options

Trying to get a couple a week!! Come on guys let's keep this thread going.
  • Options
    Nice card stingray!

Are you planning on buying all your cards or will you submit some yourself?
    I've got box of 5000 raw 77's, so far I've pulled out about 300+ 77's that should get an 7/8 if submitted, but only about 20 that have a chance for 9/10. I still have about half the box to go.
    I've never submitted,, heck I'm not even a member of the club, but I may join soon.
    I'm still working on getting my scanner up and running, so I'll let you know (with scans) when I do.

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Okay...here are a couple of tough pitchers...and tough cards!...from the set:

Nick
  • Options
    Yecch!

How can I brighten up those scans? That is how hideous my cards look in my Registry sets, too. Total wash-outs.

Help!

Nick
  • Options
    Is that Candy yours?? That is a tough one!! At this point I am just going to buy off ebay for now, I do not have any raw 77s.
  • Options
    NICE Candy.
    I would love to have a 9, but at this point I would settle for an 8.
    This scanning thing is much tougher than I thought it would be.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I don't do my own scanning, I just take the ebay picture and save to my Photobucket album.
  • Options
    somebody please convince me that these two players are not the same person:

• Options
    Is Mario related to Pedro?? I think the Aurelio card is really the team's batboy??
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    The '69 Aurelio card is the team's batboy. This one should be him.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    After looking at those cards I've come to the conclusion that..... Today is the day I start my Mustacheimage

Those are both very nice looking cards
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Wasn't Mario Geurrero in the news a few months ago? It was a story regarding a lawsuit vs. someone to whom he once gave batting instructions? Anyone remember that story?

The player he was suing was pretty high-profile, as I remember. I think he was looking for, like, 600K.

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the lawsuit you're thinking of was directed at Mario Soto, the fine Reds pitcher of the 80's.

These are both great cards. People forget just what a fine player the late Aurelio Rodriguez was. This card is pretty much my mental image of him. The Gurrero card really shows off what a great locale the old pre-refurbished Oakland Alameda Co. ballpark was. It was a popular spot for Topps photographers.
  • Options
    Good knowledge on the Coliseum and 70's ball, Greg!

I finally sleuthed down what that Mario Guerrero lawsuit was: he was suing Raul Mondesi becuase Guerrero helped him early in Mondesi's career. He wanted about 1% of Mondesi's earnings for the hitting tutorials. I never heard any outcome; this story just disappeared.

• Options
    Anyone know what happened to Matt Sharpnack? He has been selling his '77 set over eBay, and just like that, on Saturday night, he became NARU.

• Options
    Don't know what happened to Matt,,,
    I did manage to snip about 50 of his very nice 9's.
    His very honest ebay practices will be missed.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I have won two cards from him that I am waitig for delivery, I hope he gets back on, he always had some nice 77s for sale.

Crap, I was bidding on my first PSA 10, seriously that is, that he had up for auction, poof!!
  • Options

<< <i>The '69 Aurelio card is the team's batboy. This one should be him. >>

Sorry, I was just joking. I know that it was his 69 card that had the batboy.
  • Options
    A PSA 10 Sutter up for sale, wonder what that will garner??
  • Options

Sting-

The two sutter 10's i sold last summer went for 350-385. I'll bet 300-335

Matt
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    I have bought from him before, when his account got suspended the first time. I haven't had any problems the transactions went smooth.
  • Options
    I picked up a couple of cards the last couple of days. Here's what got......

I also picked up the Pirates Team card in 9.

Does anyone have a JR Richard in 9 or 10 they are looking to unload??
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I was going to bid on that WS card, was on my watchlist and forgot about it!! At least someone from our group won it.image
  • Options
    The World Series card is an upgrade for me. I needed the AL Championship card and figured I'd upgrade the WS card and save on shipping. When I get a few more doubles I'll sell the WS card in an ebay lot.
    BTW the 77 Braves team set is now on the registery.
    A while back we were talking about GRA grading, and I said I'd post a scan of the GRA Gem 10 Nolan Ryan I pulled out of it's slab. Well here it is...
    Not even close to gem,,,anything. The corners look a little better in the scan than they really are.

After much playing and tinkering I think I've finally got the hang of this scanning stuff. I'm using one of my websites to host the pics.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I live in Michigan and see that GRA is based out of Royal Oak, MI. I sure would love to see this characters setup!! I have never seen a card in his slab graded an 9 or an 8. Anyone going to snag this Sutter, no chance of selling IMO.

77 Sutter
  • Options
    If your going to list a HIGH $$$ card the least you can do is give us and extra large image to look at!!
    Sorry 'stingray' it's a little to rich for my taste.
    There are some other great looking 10's on ebay right now. Wish I had the cashimage
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    That card won't sell, IMO. But man, some 10s I have seen are not all that great, centering on the front looks a little off to me, I was hoping to win one of Mattk's PSA 10s till they pulled his auctions.image
  • Options
  • Options
    Wow, that Sutter is going for $1,000+!!!!!
  • Options
    Let me be the first one to congratulate "wpsports1" he was the lucky seller of some the nicest 77's I've seen on ebay.
    Sutter 10
    Ryan 10
    Somehow I lost the link to the Dawson, but I think that went for about $2500!!!! Almost $6500 for the three!!

Those are some big prices.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Anyone else seen this guys auctions?? Does not take paypal, has low feedback rating and has had one transaction since Nov. of 96.

LINK
  • Options
    I saw his stuff, but don't think I'll bid on anything. Seems to me there was some talk about him on the board some time back,,, but I can't be sure.
    Just a shot in the dark here but I think he's a Cubs fanimage
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    check him out at Toolhaus.org and you will certainly not bid on his stuff.
  • Options
    I see that Mattk is back selling his 77s on Ebayimage

I see another PSA 10 Sutter is up for auction, though centering is not perfect on the one up now. Are 77s starting to heat up??
  • Options
    Prices for 8's and 9's are pretty steady, but 10's are going crazy!!
    Why people are so nuts about the '10' grade is beyond me. A nice 9 sells for one tenth of the price of a 10 and looks as good or better than that 10. There is only one card that I really want in a 10 case, and that's because I am putting together a player set of him. The rest of the set,,,, give me 9's and I'm happy.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    I'll say 10's are going crazy:

a Sutter PSA 10 went for $899, and then $1,275, in a matter of two days this week! That is fast-track growth.
  • Options
    My first 10 for this set and checklist card:

imageimage
  • Options
  • Options
    Unreal, czar. From a '77 Registrant (Summer of Sam), mucho congrats!

I am curious. You have about 280 tens....certainly a good sample size. How consistent would you say the grading has been? Could you randomly pull out a card and tell that it's a 10, compared to a 9?

Especially in 1977, Topps' production quality was horrible. The fact that you managed to secure all of those 10's is simply amazing!

Onward.

Nick
  • Options
    Yes, that is some accomplishment!! Even if I could afford, which I can not, to do this set in all 10s would years in the making. I wonder how many cards have not even received a 10 grade at this time??