Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1977 Topps Baseball Official Thread

Comments

• DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭
    czar,,that set of yours is something very specialimage It makes my 230 cards at 35% seem so very very insignificant. I don't even have a single 10 in my entire 77 collection.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Some of the commons in 10 are selling for righteous dollars too. I had a Horton #660 come back from a submission as a 1 of 2 PSA 10. I went onto eBay & bought a 9 for $13 delivered........my 10 brought $212.50 on eBay (this was in March).

I'll do that all day long.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Some of the commons in 10 are selling for righteous dollars too. I had a Horton #660 come back from a submission as a 1 of 2 PSA 10. I went onto eBay & bought a 9 for $13 delivered........my 10 brought $212.50 on eBay (this was in March).

I'll do that all day long. >>

Same here, if I have about 10 or so PSA 10s in my set I will be happy. But I am not going to pay insane prices.
    Can't let this thread fall to the second page. Seems a little slow on Ebay right now for 77s. Though my purchases will be at a slower pace than prior weeks. Our t.v. that was only about 3+ years old took a dump and we went out and purchased a new one. Decided to go LCD/HD etc. Most I have ever spent on a t.v., so this has put a strain on spending money on cards as much as before. Though seeing my Tigers play in high def. is pretty darn cool.image
    Oh Stingray,,,,,,I thought we could be friends, but if you're a Tigers fan it kinda' puts a strain on our relationshipimage

Just thought I'd post a pic of the card I picked up last night.
    It's a little OC but I like the Picture.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Don't worry, the Tigers are hot and will soon be back in 1st place.image

Any PSA 9 for 77s is a good card, and we can't expect to have perfect centering on all of them. I can live with a little OC card as long as the image and corners are sharp.

• BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a psa 9 MINT NQ 1977 Topps # 356 - Checklist 265-396 if anyone needs it. $6 and it is yours, or trade me a psa 9 dodger from the 70s for it.

Brian
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a little OC but I like the Picture. >>

Like Catfish Hunter, Jim always knew how to pose.
    It's unbelievable,,,,,,,I actually have that one. I think that's the only checklist I have!
    Thanks
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15

<< <i>It's unbelievable,,,,,,,I actually have that one. I think that's the only checklist I have!
    Thanks >>

Same here just got it last week.
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any NM-MT commons for sale (or graded cards at decent prices)? I need 29 cards to complete an upgrade of this set:

144 (Sutter)
    450 (Rose)
    650 (Ryan)

Thanks.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • It's funny, I always seem to equate 1976-79 topps as being in generally bad condition, but I realized that that's because those were the first 4 years I was getting into collecting, and unfortunately, I didn't pay enough attention to keeping them protected until about 1980. Therefore, the vast majority of my cards (mostly stars, HOFers and rookies) from those years are in conditions not even worth grading.

So, whenever I see a scan of a PSA 9 or 10 from those years, it always looks so strange to me. Very nice mind you, but strange because I simply haven't seen many cards from these years in nice conditions. By contrast, back in the 80's, I traded a bunch of my 80's cards to a friend who had inherited a bunch of 75-66 Topps cards. A good portion of those cards that I acquired are actually in decent condition... especially the 72's (I have several graded 8's & 9's). So, on either side of that 76-79 range, I have some nice condition cards, but those 4 years are pretty horrible, with the exception of a few cards like 78 Murray's... but then again, 2 of 3 of those have bad wax stains on the frontimage
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
    From what I have seen as far as graded for my limited time collecting 77s so far, there are far fewer of these it seems up for auction than any other 70s cards. It is tuff not to find a card with perfecty cut borders, the top or the bottom have some type of rough cut, I know PSA takes this into account. I have a 77 Ted Simmons PSA 9 that has a very rough cut on the top border to the point where you can see the card board under the white border, I need to replace that one someday.
  • I've decided to start a new set in my PSA collection (just what I needed considering I've only completed one set). I want to put together a 1977 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers Team set in PSA 9/10 condition. This is the year I started collecting cards and this the team I fell in love with. I've still got my original 1977 set in sheets that I collected as a kid but now I want to go back and really nail this set. I picked up a Rhoden in PSA 10 and a Lacy in PSA 9. 22 cards to go. Anybody got any in PSA 9/10 they want to sell let me know.

Brian
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
    I wonder where that Guidry is going to end up??
    Sorry Brian,
    No extra Dodgers at this time, but good luck. Your going to run into a few High $$$$ cards.

"I wonder where that Guidry is going to end up??"

Brob. about 2 bills. Just my guess, but I think the real question is,,,,WHY???
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15

<< <i>Sorry Brian,
    No extra Dodgers at this time, but good luck. Your going to run into a few High $$$$ cards.

"I wonder where that Guidry is going to end up??"

Brob. about 2 bills. Just my guess, but I think the real question is,,,,WHY??? >>

I think it is one of the tougher cards to find in PSA 9 in the set, Pop of 8, no 10s.
  • My definiation of a high dollar card has changed since I started my PSA sets. I'm working on 1952 and 1953 Topps in PSA 7 condition and am regularly spending $500-$1000 on a single card now adays. The Dodgers set includes the Dale Murphy card as the only non-common (Kevin Pasley is on that one too) in the SMR. I like the challenge of a very small set at a very high grade. If anybody comes up with cards I need let me know. You can track my progress in the set registry. My set is titled My Blue Heaven.

Brian
    Learn some history of the game. Join a vintage base ball team in your area and get out there.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
    I was wondering what this one would end up going for. Pop of 4 for PSA 9 with no 10s.
    Did someone here win it??

LINK
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> The Dodgers set includes the Dale Murphy card as the only non-common (Kevin Pasley is on that one too) in the SMR. >>

The same thing happens for Jerry Royster's rookie in the 76 set, since he's on the Willie Randolph card.
  • Are you working on the Dodgers Team set or the whole ball of wax? I will only be competing with you on the remaining 22 cards I need to put the Dodgers together. I promise to move on to 76's or 78's once I get this team together and not try and fill out the rest of the 660 card set. This only holds so long as you don't start outbidding me on 1952 Topps high numbers though. The gloves will be off then.

Brian
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
    To answer Stingray's previous question about the 1977 Topps Steve Luebber, #457 Twins PSA 9

I did put the second bid on the card, but to be honest I did not think that I'd win. The winning bid was prob. well over $100.
    People will get way to crazy over low pop cards. Remember, the card is an ULTRA-COMMON!!! No way will the pop remain that low forever.

How many Dodger collectors do we have hereimage

Don't underestimate the price of a 77 Steve Garvey psa 9 tough to find, and lots of people looking for it.
    CARD NO NAME VARIETY 1-2 3-4 5 6 7 7Q 8 8Q 9 9Q 10 TOTAL
    400 STEVE GARVEY 0 0 4 1 10 0 51 0 39 2 0 107 (no 10 has ever been gradded)

"you down with OPC??? Yeah you know meeeeeee"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    CZAR, (and anyone else who cares)

I assume that you have access to the pop report, but if you don't,,,,,

There are still 150 cards in the 77 set that have yet to be gradded a PSA 10, and another 186 that are 1 of 1's in PSA 10. That make me wonder, how many more cards are even available for you to continue your set??

I know, I know,,,, worry about your own set........ It's just that I continue to be amazed by your set....
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Interesting. I outbid Mikescards.com on my first PSA 10 from this set. You tell me, what is the average price for a PSA 10 in this set. Obviously I realize there are high prices and low prices but my reference point is quite a bit higher than what I paid for my PSA 10 Rhoden.
    Simsbury Taverneers
    My PSA Sets
  • SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Gulp!

Ah...that would be me, Summer of Sam, who won the Luebber the other night. Dang. Busted!

But...no way did I pay anywhere near $100 for him. You guys are correct though: he's a common, and a lousy one at that. But, I just got pissed at losing so many PSA 10's so I went way overboard on this one.

And, yes...this thread is loaded with a bunch of terrific folks!

Nick
    I guess I got an ok deal, I paid something like $25 for my only (so far) PSA 10 of Terry Humphrey, which is a pop. of 3.
    From what I've seen, anything below $30 for a 10 is good price.

This is one of the two that I've picked up in the last week.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    When it comes to card buying....

There is nothing more satisfying than passing on a card at a price beyond what you percieve as fair, and buying it down the road at a much lower price.

On the other end there is nothing more disappointing than paying a price beyond what you percieve as fair because you got to have it now, and seeing another buyer down the road get it at a much lower price.

I have done both and I like the first scenario a lot more.
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a PSA 9 Bill Buckner for sale?

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
    Sorry, I only have an 8 and that's stays in my set. That Buckner is not an easy card to come by.. (in 9-10)

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks - I appreciate your comments. I still need one for my Buckner set!

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • estangestang Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭
    I've been seeking the following cards in PSA 9 quality of:

Randy Jones
    Mark Fidrych
    George Brett
    League Leaders (all)
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, I too own this set (raw, no graded sorry) and am I the only one in this congregation who loves the back design of this set? I mean, the front's a bit of a yawner IMO but I think the billboards they do on the back are unique; IMO the best back design of all the 1970s sets. And I believe there's one that even mentions the T206 Wagner (yes, it was still the Holy Grail of cards even back then); anyone want to scan the back of that card (and other interesting backs from this year) so we can all see the big bucks you had to fork over back then for Wagner? image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    I wish I could remember what card that Wagner reference is on.... I'm going to look for it....

IMO, the backs on the 77's are above average, but since the darkness of the stock can vary a great deal, some are much nicer than others. Check out the 77 OPC's the stock is bright and clean looking. Real nice
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    I would like to send a thanks to MikesCardsDotCom.
    I bought several cards from his store today. His shipping cost is only $2.00 for the first and .50 for every card after the first. He also caps at $5.00 and ships Priority. These are some of the best shipping rates around.
    I payed for several card, but after paying I found another card that I wanted,,,,well I e-mailed him and asked if I could still take the combined shipping discount.
    His reply:
    "No worries - just send a paypal for the cost of the ____. I'll send them all priority mail. Thanks, Mike"

He did not charge me any shipping on the second paypal payment, and shipped priority at no extra charge..

Note to self.
    Buy from him, don't bid against him.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    Were my boys at????
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • EstilEstil Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I'm still here if that counts image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
    I have actually been buying other cards for a bit, so my 77 buying is on hold for now.
    Your better off buying basketball the last few weeks STINGRAY.
    When Keith Hernandez sells for this kind of price it really makes you wonder..

CDsNuts, 1/9/15
    I have been buying some basketball and baseball. That Hernandez card looks like it has a lot of print marks on the top border buy the position flag.
    Czar,
    keep waiting Lynn's pop will rise.... I have two nice raw that should grade well.
    There are lot more out there.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Hey Guys,
    Sent a small group of 77's in with a group of 73's.
    The 1977's are:

J.R. Richard
    #411 1976 World Series
    #412 1976 World Series
    Pete Rose
    #473 Rookie Outfielders
    #476 Rookie Catchers
    Jim Palmer
    Jim Wohlford
    I had split a box of vending many years ago with a buddy of mine. Slight tilts are all over the place on these cards. They are sharp and crispy but this is my first time submitting this year. Wish me luck. Paul
    #1 2000 Blue Xceptional Set(and #2 and #3, it's a sickness)
    1933 Giants
    Paul,
    Good luck with your sub!!

Let me know how that JR comes back, it's one I'm looking to upgrade.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Are diamond cuts/tilts a common problem in this set? I've noticed that most, if not all, of the Dawson rookies in PSA 8 that show up on Ebay have got the odd cut or tilt. Even the last two PSA 10s on Ebay weren't even.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
    YES,

Big problem. Seems the rookie cards have it the worst, but that doesn't make sense if they all come from the same sheet.
    I think the graders look past the diamond cuts on the Rookie cards much more than they do the regular ones.
    Most of the Murphy's and the Dawson's that you'll see will have some sort of tilt.

IMHO the stock on the 77's is softer than on other topps sets from the period. Also chipping is common, but much more so on the Vending cards than the cards from packs.

I bought 8's of both Dawson and Murphy because the cards are not tilted.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15