Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1977 Topps Baseball Official Thread

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still remember coming home from the Renata Galasso warehouse with two '77 vending boxes back then. I had gotten bored with ordering complete sets, so I figured I'd come close
    with 1000 random cards. Not! Terrible collation. Went back to complete sets the next year.

• Options

I loved this set and still do. My first collected as a kid and probably the zenith of 1970s kitschy airbrushing, especially with free agency and the two expansion teams.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 15, 2017 5:46PM

Was sorting through some raw pack fresh 77s this afternoon as I worked on my raw binder set and I just want to say that this set may even be worse than the 79 set when it comes to poor paper stock and surface and registration issues. None of the 70s sets were particularly strong in those aspects, I suppose, but the 77 and 79 sets seemed especially brutal in that regard.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Agree. Paper stock has an overly mushy or spongy feel to it, which is a shame.

• Options

I just completed a 1977 Topps set for my fortieth year on this planet. Put it together from lots on Ebay. Mostly Vg-Ex, with a handful ExMt. Maybe I'll upgrade, but I am also interested in getting started on 1981 Topps, and then 1965-66 Topps.

I have many 1977 Topps with black smudges. Are these printing errors, or are they the result of some kind of damage done to the cards?

Casey Barker
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Congrats on finishing 77, Can you post a scan of one of the black smudge cards you have ?

I get 77 and 40. why 1981 and 656-66 next ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

Dodger championship-winning seasons, of course.

Casey Barker
  • Options

@byesac said:
    Dodger championship-winning seasons, of course.

Let's not forget '74 and '78 then.

• Options

@bishop said:
    Congrats on finishing 77, Can you post a scan of one of the black smudge cards you have ?

I get 77 and 40. why 1981 and 656-66 next ?

You can see the lines at the upper corner before the team name.

Casey Barker
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

This set still has one of my "ALL-TIME" favorite cards !

• Options

@clarke442 said:
    This set still has one of my "ALL-TIME" favorite cards !

Love those TBC, all-star, and recordbreaker inserts that used to be part of every Topps set.

Casey Barker
  • Options
    BozgrizBozgriz Posts: 11 ✭✭

Seems to be some activity in this set again! My first and favorite...cards are flying off ebay with the latest PSA set break-

• Options
    edited May 14, 2018 2:40PM

Was hoping for a 9 when I submitted this but I’m still happy with it.

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

That's a very nice looking Brett! I've seen 9's that didn't look that nice.
    I mean 8.5 seems very achievable.

Topps Archives is using the 77 design this year. Since I'm a 77 design collector I might venture into Archives this year.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

First set that I bought a lot of packs from. I completed my Braves team set last summer.

• Options

Bumping this thread...anybody out there still working on this set? Sold mine last fall and immediately regretted it...lol

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Just finished a pack fresh MINT raw set. I've got an extra #1 in EXMT shape if anyone needs it.

Brian

• Options
    edited January 17, 2023 5:47PM

@BJY83 said:
    Just finished a pack fresh MINT raw set. I've got an extra #1 in EXMT shape if anyone needs it.

Just curious, where are you finding mint raw cards?

• Options
    BJY83BJY83 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Found someone who cracked open a case of vending a few years ago who only wanted to keep the 6-8 star cards for grading and put the rest right back in the original vending boxes. He put together the best possible near set for me with only centered and mint cards. Once i received it and went through it, i needed to pick up another 20 or so to finish it off. I then cherry picked stars from message boards and Facebook groups and ended up with one sweet set. I had similar luck with my '74 set last year. I just need a '76 set to finish my run from '74 and up.

Brian