• Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    Just completed this set raw! Average is NM-MT or better.

I have about 20 cards I think I want to replace eventually for centering/upgrade condition for it to be 'spic and span'. <------------------Do they even make that stuff anymore?
  • Options
    cougar701cougar701 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    By the way, that Robin Yount card was TOUGH to find in NM-MT or better!!
  • Options
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>another goose egg on the fidrych.

there was an old joke about two kids with competing lemonade stands selling across the street from each other. one had his product at 5 cents a glass (i said it was an OLD joke), the other one had his at $1000 per glass. when someone asked why his lemonade cost so much he said "i only need one sale."

it looks like 4sc is using that business plan to find that one desperate person to make an extravagant purchase. they have a reds team card out there for $500.

i guess they know what they are doing. >>

That is just unreal. They should have been flat-out ecstatic with the original auction instead of trying every angle to maximize the final selling price. Incredibly myopic thinking in my opinion. I am honestly dumbfounded by it. I hope you win it in the near future at a very good price!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    That's the nicest Fidrych I've seen. Wonder where it came from?
    The color and focus are unusually good for a 77.
    Really nice card. (Not $2k-nice, though)
    I think $1500 is a reasonable asking price for a card that recently went for $2800. Still not worth it IMO, but I can see where they got that number.
    I bet they change their strategy and list it in auction format w/ low starting bid. I see them do this often after BINs don't sell, and sometimes their low-pop psa 10s finish higher than their BIN that failed.
    The last Bird PSA 10 never would've got anywhere near 2800 if it was listed as a BIN.
  • Options

<< <i>The color and focus are unusually good for a 77 >>

That's the first thing I thought when I saw that card. They must have hit a nice run.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Regardless of price, etc. it is most definitely a blazer.
  • Options
    This just in from my last sub. I now have twelve of eighteen '77 Topps All-star cards in PSA 10. Five of them were personal submissions so they make me the proudest. Onward and upward...albeit slowly. image

• Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's the main card I was looking for when I was opening packs 33 years ago.
  • Options

• Options
    Sorry gents, I moved on the bird as a personal feel good reward for the safe return of my collection. To be honest, it is impossible for me to overpay for that card because it will never leave my collection and it is my personal holy grail. Watching the bird pitch that summer of 76 was such a joy for a young kid growing up in Detroit. For those that question the logic of the popularity of the bird - it has nothing to do with career stats or success. Mark Fidrych, in my opinion, was the last of the truly innocent and untainted feel good stories across all sports. Watching this guy with the flopping curls kneel down at the mound between innings to smooth the dirt, talk to the baseball, and bounce all over the playing field was a once in a lifetime treasure. Even in retirement, he would visit Michigan sparingly and refuse even 1 penny in fees even though he could have leveraged his celebrity. Amazing. In the spring of 77 I blew every penny I could scrounge up to get the bird rookie card. After I had failed for months and rooted through 100s of waxpacks, one day my buddy who could care less about baseball and who was into Starwars and wackypacks bought 1 stinking pack for the gum and got the bird! I will always remember the smug look on his face as I completely freaked out image
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • Options

Finally somebody moved by far the best example ive seen in my life.....

Well done sir! Enough of the squabbleimage Keep that collection rollin.....
  • Options
  • Options
    svtPONY95svtPONY95 Posts: 689 ✭✭
    I am looking to buy a PSA 9 Rod Carew. PM me with any info !!

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.collectorfocus.com/...tion/svtPONY95/pre-war">Pre war
  • Options

<< <i>Sorry gents, I moved on the bird as a personal feel good reward for the safe return of my collection. To be honest, it is impossible for me to overpay for that card because it will never leave my collection and it is my personal holy grail. Watching the bird pitch that summer of 76 was such a joy for a young kid growing up in Detroit. For those that question the logic of the popularity of the bird - it has nothing to do with career stats or success. Mark Fidrych, in my opinion, was the last of the truly innocent and untainted feel good stories across all sports. Watching this guy with the flopping curls kneel down at the mound between innings to smooth the dirt, talk to the baseball, and bounce all over the playing field was a once in a lifetime treasure. Even in retirement, he would visit Michigan sparingly and refuse even 1 penny in fees even though he could have leveraged his celebrity. Amazing. In the spring of 77 I blew every penny I could scrounge up to get the bird rookie card. After I had failed for months and rooted through 100s of waxpacks, one day my buddy who could care less about baseball and who was into Starwars and wackypacks bought 1 stinking pack for the gum and got the bird! I will always remember the smug look on his face as I completely freaked out image >>

Nice. That is a great card!
  • Options
    Looking for a few 77's in PSA 9: Jerry Royster, Carlton Fisk, Rick Miller, Cecil Cooper, Bob Montgomery, Dwight Evans and Fred Lynn if anyone can offer one of those... let me know what you'd like in return in a PM. Thanks!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

1960-present Topps Red Sox in PSA 9+
    Topps All-Star Rookies in PSA 9+
    Dennis Eckersley PSA 10's
  • Options
    LUEBBER POPPAGE!
    Just got back my PSA 9 toughie, first ever for me.
    Thought I'd offer it to the registry first, if anyone wants it make an offer by PM
    Otherwise it will go on ebay soon

• Options
    Just saw this....man, that is a toughie. Good job!!!! Did you wind up selling it?
  • Options
    I was watching the auction. Started at $75 and ended with no bids if I remember correctly. I never did see it relisted.

I've always had a small hatred for that card.
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    No it didn't sell
    Its the only raw one I've had that's even close to a 9 in almost 4 years (and I've probably searched through over 50 raw sets), so I didn't relist it after it failed to get 75
    I decided to hang onto it until the market for 77s improves, hopefully it will improve someday
  • Options
  • Options
    Updating the 4/17 post, I'm now only looking for Bob Montgomery #288 in PSA 9 or better. I have seen only one up on ebay in the last year, and lost out. If you are willing to sell or trade, PM me. Thanks!
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Hey I'm going after the PSA 10 Dwight Evans that's ending in a few hours. Who am I going to be bumping heads with?
  • Options
  • Options
    KK Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭
    Well my snipe of $202.02 didn't even go through because another guy sniped a few secs before me with at least $213.50 image

I guess I'll have to wait til next time...
  • Options
  • Options
    I thought I'd have to pay more for it with the low pops of 22 for a 9 and only 2 10's. But I did need it for the 70's Sox run, 1977 Sox Team plus Evans Basic Topps. My 9 is for sale if anyone wants to make an offer... PM me
    Positive Transactions:
    Stooge
    jamesgotpoorman
    calaban7
    ddfamf
    theczar
    ShootyBabitt
    hoopguru33

Always looking for:

• Options
  • Options
    Congrats Frank!!!!!! That is incredible. I am still sitting at 12 of 18 77 all-stars. I am still searching and subbing though....image

edited to add: My sincere apologies to Frank for calling him Mike. By any name, it is a great accomplishment though!
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>a little arm breaking as i pat myself of the back. i just past the 77% mark in the '77 set in psa 10. while not in the league of hatch i am still plugging away. >>

+1image
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    So what' the Top 10 tougest PSA 9/10 cards in the set?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    SethroSethro Posts: 671 ✭✭
    Just started collecting this set; actually my first foray into putting together a graded set. Looking for any kind of help in collecting. Thank you!
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options
  • Options
    theczar: I am trying to complete the set in all 9s. And Dr. Katz is one of my top five favorite shows of all time!

bubblebathgirl: I have been thinking about that vending box. Hopefully I'll decide before it's gone. Thank you for the link to Vintage Card Prices. I was wondering how to best gauge what are fair prices for cards. Right now the only place I know of to buy cards is eBay, and it seems the prices are all over the place.
    Positive transactions: Bighurt2000 - DavidPuddy - ShootyBabitt - Bosox1976 - LarryP - Captainthreeputt - Tedw9 - aconte -EAsports -Johnsteph10 -hhmag70 - depcs - TheThrill22 - scotgreb - longtimemetsfan - cadets68 - augustaman - mcholke - miconelegacy
  • Options

Welcome aboard Sethro. It is a great set.
  • Options
    Yes, 77T is a great set - good luck with it.
    But if you're looking only for 9s, do NOT I repeat do NOT buy and open that vending box.
    9s from this set are cheap on ebay and have been for awhile.
    You could buy 20 commons, a 450 Rose, a 140 Schmidt and a Dawson RC all in PSA 9 for the same price.
  • Options
    Bobbybakeriv: Thanks! Love the Toby Harrah card. Rangers have been my AL team since the mid 70's because it seemed like I always got tons of Rangers in the packs back then. Toby Harrah, Richie Zisk, Jim Sundberg, etc.

Hammered: I have been averaging between $5 and $6 delivered on eBay (the only place I have bought cards) per common (PSA 9). I think that seems OK. Honestly, if my budget wasn't limited I would go the vending box route, no problem. I am just afraid to get a really terrible box!

Bubblebathgirl: Yes, that does help. Thanks for the info. From what little I know it seems like BBCE is the place to go. The prices seem higher than auctions I have seen on eBay, but I am guessing the higher price is because of the trust/quality issue?

I just bought the #580 George Brett PSA 9. Very psyched!

Looking for another #140 Schmidt PSA 9 because the one I just got has chips all down the left side. Lame!

Possibly buying a bunch of commons tonight. Depends on my Holiday Bonus!

Thanks all for replying! I hope we can get this thread moving a bit!
  • Options
    I bought a vending box. Wish me luck!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I definitely will! Might scan some of my recent purchases, too. The Brett looks awesome!
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i already posted this in the buy and sell fourm. i would like to buy a 1977 topps psa 8 bruce sutter rookie #144. my email address is larryehlers@hotmail.com. please provide a scan. thank you for your time.
  • Options
    Well, went through the box today. Major bust. Pretty much nothing in there. I knew it was a gamble, but whew, I got killed. LOL. No gradable major or minor stars. Possibly some commons to help fill my set. I'm sure I'll get killed on the grading, too.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I have always loved the 1977 Topps set but when I have had the opportunity to buy one they always looked to be in low grade. This Christmas I was at a shop and I asked my friend if I could look at this 1977 Topps set. As I opened the set up I realized that this was the nicest set I had ever seen. Every card was pack fresh with beautiful color. I asked him what he wanted for the set he told me that it was my Christmas present. That night I went through the whole thing like a little kid playing with his toys. My wife thought it was odd that I came to bed at 3:30am wondering what I had been doing. Long story short the set had 176 cards that were perfectly centered and mint. The others were of the highest quality but most likely would grade a PSA 7/8. I found only three cards that had a surface crease so I just threw those three away. If anyone wants the remainder of this set which includes many of the stars let me know. Someone who wants a very high grade quality but does not care about centering will love this.

I am now going to start a 1977 Topps set in graded form since I have a pretty good start on it. Looking forward in joining all of you die hard collectors from this year.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    That is a terrific friend! Congrats.
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    He really is a terrific friend.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Wow Shane. That is awesome. Any chance of scanning some of them and show us your favorites?
  • Options