Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    Meathook, are you going to be throwing that Tatupu up? If so, care to toss a link to your auctions up or PM me?

Gracias

Arthur
  • Options
    PM sent, Arthur . . . Here's a couple more:

(Stone, if I'm bringing disgrace to your thread, please let me know!)image

• Options
    Hi All

This recent submission finally put me on top in the PSA registry for "1975 Michael Schechter Associates test discs"

There are only me and "duke - o - discs" Larry Kellogg in this registry. Larrys sig should be "king o discs" i think he is #1 in almost every disc registry set listed.

anyway,

Thanks, Lee

Mike, hope your feelin strong !

• Options
    RD: Great 78's.

Inspired by the recent 75 mini bust, I picked these up:

Robert
  • Options
    It's too bad about the surface grubbiness (the scan does make it look worse than it is ... I hope image) because the corners and edges on these are remarkably sharp (except for the '30 Wills Hagen). Can anyone who has a good eye or good knowledge of PSA's grading tell me how much they take off for the grubbiness? Would these have a shot at a 4 or 5 or are they relegated to 1-3 status? Thanks

1928 Churchman Small Men of the Moment Bobby Jones

1928 Churchman Small Men of the Moment Walter Hagen

1930 Wills Famous Golfers Walter Hagen

Thanks for the input.

Arthur

Edited to add: Sorry about the scans.
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Because old wax packs have been popular on these boards for a few months....

• Options
    latest fillers;

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Newbies!

rd

image >>

Wow! Great card! There's no ink blotch at all. Just a great card.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I couldn't figure out how to insert the image but I was able to link to it.

The Captain

Abe
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Oops. Double post.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Newbies!

rd

image >>

This is just a great Mollie rookie. No print blob at all! Great card. >>

Just a Mollie rookie? What about Trammell? He looks as though someone leaped out of the dugout on his way to the on-deck cirle and asked him "Exactly how hard do you hold your bat?

Nice card.

Arthur

Edited to add: Actually, it looks like somebody did the same thing to UL Washington image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    sagard,

What scanner do you have?? Those are some crisp bright images!

Mike
  • Options
    Very happy with my mailman today. According to the SMR these are both rookie cards. image

Under a loupe the corners are actually better than they appear in the scans but there are a few minor scratches in the glossy surface. The backs are cleaner than the scans as well. I'm thinking in the PSA 4 ballpark.

imageimage

imageimage

Arthur
  • Options
    Is it just me or does it look like Braddock's head is pasted onto someone else's body?
  • Options

<< <i>Is it just me or does it look like Braddock's head is pasted onto someone else's body? >>

Yeah, I did that. The original picture just had him smiling and he didn't look mean enough so I found another picture of him, shrank it down, printed it on regular copy paper and Elmer's glued it on the card. I think it adds a "certain something" to the card that a future investor will find intriguing. Either way, when I go to sell it on eBay I plan on having the item title read something like ...

"HOLY CRAP! 1 OF 1 JIMMY BRADDOCK ERROR RC CARD! PSA BGS 10?"

Phreakdancin, you like my work? image

Arthur
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Those '57 Topps look great. Most PSA 7s I've seen are off center. Nice pickups.
  • Options

<< <i>Phreakdancin, you like my work? image >>

Keep up the good work! image
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    WOULD THE REAL DAN SOFTPARADE PLEASE STEP FORWARD! THERE IS A MAN ON THESE BOARDS WHO HAS HIJACKED YOUR ID AND IS POSTING PICTURES OF CARDS THAT WERE NOT PRINTED IN 1978!!
  • Options
    oh crap.... there goes the ol rep image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are some awesome '57s soft! There's got to be a story behind those... Please share image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest addition to my collection. Kind of an impulse buy, but I like it! image
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Another step closer for my Frank Robinson basic player set....slowly but surely....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    stown ..... no story. Mariner (Don) hooked me up .....

• Options
    1930 Wills Henry Cotton. Very very very happy with the condition. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Okay, so it's not a card but it's still pretty darn nice. image

I believe (hopefully someone here can correct me if I'm wrong) that it's entitled "First At-Bat." It was taken at Holy Cross College (you can see it in the background) which resides in beautiful Worcester, Massachusetts (my home town). The picture itself measures 20" X 16", not including the frame and matting. Gotta love Teddy Ballgame!

Arthur
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it Arthur!

I would like to have a photo like that signed by Teddy.

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>WOULD THE REAL DAN SOFTPARADE PLEASE STEP FORWARD! THERE IS A MAN ON THESE BOARDS WHO HAS HIJACKED YOUR ID AND IS POSTING PICTURES OF CARDS THAT WERE NOT PRINTED IN 1978!! >>

Mike
  • Options
    Sweet cards Dan!

I got this in the mail - nonsport of course - it's from Uncle Sam - he's paying me back. I woulda taken
    cash? image

It's a participation pin of sorts - this pin takes me from age 18 to 51!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

• Options
    I really love these Sporting Events & Stars cards. Real photos and the cards are glossy. Nice.

Had to get this one just because it's Sugar Ray.

Arthur
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Nice Robinson Xanadu !

Ive seen too many of you fellas with these lately, so I decided to give in and join the party....

"The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    Arthur

Are you a big golf fan? Boxing? Very nice golf cards you've been picking up.

Bri

Congratulations on joining that club - they are sweet cards! Are you gonna have them authen/graded by PSA?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Nice going Bri! Sweet stuff! I absolutely love mine! I have duplicates of Duke Snider, Lou Brock, and ...maybe Bourdreau? Let me know if you have any more of that 50s-60s Yankees and maybe we can work out another trade! Wish I knew you were going to jump in...we could have considered those before.

Barry
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    I haven't been buying much for a few months, but earlier this month I picked up my, what, 4th or 5th set of these 1985 7-11 Twins team sets. I've always been disappointed in the Kirbys I receive because, unfortunately, it's the first card of the set. It usually has bent corners from cellophane, etc. This latest set though must have been obtained and stored in another way because this Kirby had some of the most beautiful edges I've ever seen on a card. Using a magnifying glass along the edges was like skiing down a fast slope of bright white snow! The centering is better than most, too, so this card is one of my favorite purchases of the year. It'll be getting graded soon...

• Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    darn, I missed this card! I feel like my "bidding average" is falling "ever-so-close" to the "MENDOZA LINE" image

rd

• Options
    Sweet card rd

Is the Mendoza a hard card to find in a 9?

I wonder if everyone knows about the Mendoza line.

I remember Joe Garigiola used to make jokes about how he was just "bad" enough to stay in the majors hovering on the .200 average line.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Sweet card rd

Is the Mendoza a hard card to find in a 9?

I wonder if everyone knows about the Mendoza line.

I remember Joe Garigiola used to make jokes about how he was just "bad" enough to stay in the majors hovering on the .200 average line.

mike >>

Mike, I didn't think this card was hard to locate in PSA 9. I bid $3.01, and the winning bid was $3.26!

"Mendoza-like numbers!" image

rd

edit: to date: there are (46) PSA 9s out there and (9) PSA 10s (but there are only (8) PSA 8s! It seems the PSA graders made the "Mendoza Line" at PSA 9! image

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I always thought the Mendoza line was in reference to Minnie, not Mario.

Learn something new everyday.

shawn
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Who is Minnie Mendoza ! Is he related to Berk Ross ? image

• Options
    Thanks Mike!

More than anything I enjoy collecting cards of athletes who are intertwined with the history of their sport and have evolved into household names -- recognizable even by those who don't follow their respective sports. After quite a struggle I had to come to terms with the fact that the price of baseball, football, basketball and hockey examples of these athletes doesn't suit my impulsive nature or my buying frequency. Luckily, I found golf and boxing (and even started to pick up some Pele cards image). A short time ago I came really close to pursuing full-time a '33 Goudey set in low grade. Thankfully, I discovered the golfing/boxing cards from the '10s up to the '50s.

Also, you're all lucky enough (and I'm sure in complete awe) to be witness to the first purchase for the eventual #1 ranked Mosi Tatupu Master set. image

A special thanks goes out to Rick (NewJerseyMeatHook) for hooking me up with this. Thanks Rick. image

And, of course, I've got a few new boxing cards to display ...

1956 Adventure James Braddock (too bad about the centering, everything else is nice)

1952 C.H. Knorr Joe Louis

Arthur
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I can just hear Beavis saying his name now, TATUPU!

matt
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    This is my highlight from my Topps FB Finest Case break. Let me know if anyone is interested before I put in on Ebay. #1/25.

Jay

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Hoof-

That looks to be a fantastic 7-11 Kirby! Were these cards distributed in complete set form? I seem to remember hustling down the 7-11s and picking these cards up one at a time. The clerks would occasionally give me several, but I don't ever remember seeing complete sets available.

I had a Puckett that looked nice, but sadly the printing on the back was so badly smeared it would make a Molitor/Trammell smudge look like a minor printing imperfection.

• Options
    jradke,

PM lawnmowerman about that Emmitt. I think he occasionally dabbles in collecting Emmitt Smith cards. image

Arthur
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur ... that is a sweet Joe card!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards