Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

A few people have started their own threads on what they got and I didn't want to hijack their thread.

So what has the mailman blessed you with?

I picked up this Mantle Exhibit Card Display piece that you would see in vending machines in the 40-50s.

Sorry about the size - it's right off the ebay sale.

Thanx for viewing

mike
Mike

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    My first 75 of many to come. At least this Tyson stayed out of trouble, I think?

Stingray
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I'm trying to get a little more focused.

"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Very cool item Mike!

Great 1911 Mac looks nice in the SGC holder.

Stingray: Have you got '75 set in the PSA registry yet?
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Sosa looks like a cartoon character in that picture, doesn't he? (How's the centering...looks a bit off L/R for a 10, no?)
  • Options
    wufdudewufdude Posts: 356
    Yeah, Sosa looks like he has an abnormally sized melon on his shoulders.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Mike - that's a neat card! Very nice find there... image
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Now that I look again, don't you think he looks like an action figure? Huge shoulders, big head, tiny waist and big thighs. I bet you could go to Target right now and find a figure that looks *just* like that picture.
  • Options
    see attach.
  • Options

He is the great Gazoo!

Stingray
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

got this one in the mail yesterday..

·p_A·
  • Options
    One of my favorite sets. I think he played for the Tigers at one time.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>got this one in the mail yesterday.. >>

Perry
    This should take care of the problem?

Mike
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    Is Rusty the third base coach of the Pirates?
  • Options
    Rusty is the 1st base coach these days.

Kuntz

Still a pirate fan to know this minutiae.
    Collecting all things Pittsburgh.

Completed my Clemente Basic Registry (2007 - 2014)!

Positive transactions with oakesy25,jasoneggert,swartz1,MBMiller25,gregm13,kid4hof03,HoopGuru33,Reese3333,BPorter26,Davemri
  • Options
    Haven't received the card yet but I did win this one today!

Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Heres a card I got today in the mail. Only 5 known to exist and PSA has graded 3 of them.

imageimage

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Great cards!

I'm cheating - I haven't gotten it in yet, but it's in the mail. Pop is 8 8's none higher

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Super cards guys!
    I'm glad we are well represented!

Mac - great selection - but you'll have to 'splain the "focus" for me? HOF set?

jmb
    Are you telling me that a Ripken refractor is 600$? Nice card!

Brian
    Are you doing an HOF set? I almost bought an unopened box of these about 12 yrs ago.

fs
    I was a big Karras fan way back when - he was cool on TV. Doing the set?

Jeri
    Interesting Ruth card - hard to make out his face - sure looks like him overall! Hard to believe a guy could be that great and look like that!

Brian
    Nice card - where are you with the set?

Hope I didn't miss anyone - great stuff!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Brian
    Nice card - where are you with the set? >>

Not very far. To be honest, I've given up trying to put one together for a little while. I know it's more fun to try and build it myself, but it's to tempting (and easy) to just go out and bid on a complete set. Clemens is my favorite player out of the set and I currently own four of them (working on another one at the moment).
  • Options
    Mike. It's what I actually paid. I think it's worth more than that though!! image

A PSA 9 REF of Nolan Ryan sold for $3,400 back in late '04.
  • Options
    Mike,

Today, I submitted the following:

1985 Tiffany McGwire -- hoping for a 9
    1985 Tiffany Clemens -- should get a 9, possibly 10
    1993 Finest Refractor Tony Gwynn -- should get a 9
    1993 " " Clemens -- should get an easy 9, possibly 10
    1993 " " McGwire -- should get an easy 9, possibly 10
    1993 " " Piazza -- should be an easy 9

I'll keep you posted!
  • Options
    Thanks, Mike. My "focus" comment was a little sarcastic, since I can't seem to get focused. I think I'm going to try to complete Koufax and Banks sets first. But I can't resist nice looking T201s when I see them.image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Here's two of my highlights from the week, which happened to arrive in the same package. The Lobert is actually one of my favorite cards in the set.

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mike

That exhibit display is awesome. I have the Mantle and Hodges cards (not the Vernon), but what a neat piece. Amazing what we used to be able to buy with a penny.

As you know, I'm getting into some weird stuff; this came in the door today. It's an 1880's trade card that I couldn't resist:

I also received a dozen 1960 Fleer Spins and Needles cards that are going in to PSA on the special this month.

Plus, a T70 Washington and another trade card and this Dodger Team card that fits into my '56 set perfectly (stars are PSA 6, the rest are raw):

Oh, and I did a little work too.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>The Lobert is actually one of my favorite cards in the set. >>

yawie
    Nice cards. Who doesn't like T206s. Why is Lobert one of your favorites? Relative?

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I mainly just like the look of the card, Stone, though mine's a bit washed out. Plus, Lobert was one of the players interviewed by Lawrence Ritter for "The Glory of Their Times." It's a terrific book that every vintage baseball fan should read. As you can kinda see in the card, he bore a slight resemblance to Honus Wagner and Wagner himself apparently nicknamed him Little Hans or Hans No. 2 or something like that.

One of the speedsters of his day, Lobert was also the guy who raced a horse around the bases following an exhibition game. The book is great for stuff like that: how different the players, the game, the culture was following the turn of the century, but how, when you get down to it, it's still just baseball.
  • Options
    Thanx Steve
    I kind of remember something about the horse incident. I have been looking back more into baseball before WWII - and my world view has been shaped by all of the turmoil of the 90s - so now I "love the game" not the players.

Mark
    The Curve Ball card is off the chart! Nice Dodger team card! I just got a Dodger team penant back from the framer and it's up on the wall - it's a simple felt "Dodgers" type from the 50s. They don't make'm like that anymore - the letters are "sewn" onto the penant! By Christmas, I hope to put together a virtual tour of my new room.
    You just keep bringing out these cool unusual cards! Thanx for sharing!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mark:
    That's a very interesting card. Do you know anything about the company that put it out? Was it part of a set?
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

JR-

Those are beautiful! I don't know what it is about the early 50's bowmans but I love em and those puppies are sweet!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a set of 1990 Topps Mylar Stickers. They're shiny!

imageimage

Josh,

Cool sheet! What is that? image

Bob
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Bob ... Now that you have the Mylar set done, you can work on the 4 different listed variations of the 1976 Cloth Sticker prototypes
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Awesome stuff guys.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>JR- Those are beautiful! I don't know what it is about the early 50's bowmans but I love em and those puppies are sweet! >>

Bowman hired an artist in 1950-52 (as Topps did in 1952-53) to make beautiful color paintings based on B&W photos. I wish I could remember his name. I'm not sure if it was the same artist.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>I mainly just like the look of the card, Stone, though mine's a bit washed out. Plus, Lobert was one of the players interviewed by Lawrence Ritter for "The Glory of Their Times." It's a terrific book that every vintage baseball fan should read. As you can kinda see in the card, he bore a slight resemblance to Honus Wagner and Wagner himself apparently nicknamed him Little Hans or Hans No. 2 or something like that.

One of the speedsters of his day, Lobert was also the guy who raced a horse around the bases following an exhibition game. The book is great for stuff like that: how different the players, the game, the culture was following the turn of the century, but how, when you get down to it, it's still just baseball. >>

FYI - There is now a 4 CD set that contains the original recorded interviews done by Lawrence Ritter of these old timers. If you think the book is great, it is awesome to hear the actual interviews. The CD set goes by the same name as the book.
  • Options

<< <i>...you can work on the 4 different listed variations of the 1976 Cloth Sticker prototypes >>

Don't wanna. That's crazy talk.
  • Options
    Who needs to go to shows to see all the cool things? There's a virtual museum right here. I love those early Bowmans also.
    Like a couple others here, I just won this yesterday, so it's "in the mail".....basically.

This is one of my favorite RAMS yearbooks, I love the cover graphics. The others, from 1958 and 59 are cool too.

Edit: I already "borrowed" a similar picture for my avatar, so I figured I might as well get the real deal.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    BDTM - I love that Rams yearbook - '58, '59 & '60 I was a big Rams fan. I remember going to the Colosseum in crisp autumn weather and watcfhing Billy Wade, Jim Phillips, Del Shofner, Ollie Matson, Les Richter - good times.

Mike - those sewn letter pennants are very cool; is yours Brooklyn or LA? I'd love to see the virtual tour - looking forward to it. You have a ton of great stuff.

Mac - that's a trade card with advertising on the back. Trade cards were the main source of advertising for local merchants, and trade card collecting was all the rage in the late 19th century.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Not in the mail yet. Just bought this Crane's Disc 76 FB set for $20 delivered.
    PSA grades these yes?

• Options

<< <i>Mike - those sewn letter pennants are very cool; is yours Brooklyn or LA? I'd love to see the virtual tour - looking forward to it. You have a ton of great stuff. >>

Mark

It was from the Brooklyn era and the smaller of these two pins was attached.

The regular stadium pins that you bought for a quarter were about an inch+ - this one is 3/4" - I have never seen one this small and was very excited to get it! Sometimes ya get lucky!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Morellman - That trade card is pretty neat, and not something I had thought about looking for. It's just the type of item I think makes a collection just a little more special. I'll now be on the lookout for them, with football related graphics of course.

That yearbook predates my football interest by quiite a bit, however, unlike many current football fans, I love the history of my team and football in general.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    A1234567-

Is that a proof sheet for the 73 Candy Lids? And what's all the writing say (I can't really make it out).
  • Options

<< <i>FYI - There is now a 4 CD set that contains the original recorded interviews done by Lawrence Ritter of these old timers. If you think the book is great, it is awesome to hear the actual interviews. The CD set goes by the same name as the book. >>

Really? That sounds pretty cool and I'll have to pick it up one of these days.

And I've always loved shiny stickers. Those '90 Topps Mylars are pretty cool. I've never even heard of them.
  • Options

<< <i>A1234567-

Is that a proof sheet for the 73 Candy Lids? And what's all the writing say (I can't really make it out). >>

As an old printing tradesman, I think the sheet is a proof or mock up that the pressman or layout person used as a guide.
    The writing could be targets for measuring ink density as the sheets were being run. The pressman would use the sheet to measure the correct values and then compare those values with the sheets coming off of the press.

BTW - my job is taking me away from home for a year or two and I have to set up my own apartment in Orlando. Now is my chance to decorate in the sports motif and I'm getting some good ideas here. Looking at bats, programs, tobacco silks and leathers, pennants, and posters.
    The lovely Deanna (wife) and I are not splitting, we'll just be 3 hours apart. That will be tough but the money is great.

Keith
  • Options

<< <i>And I've always loved shiny stickers. Those '90 Topps Mylars are pretty cool. I've never even heard of them. >>

(From 2005 SCD)
    Testing the concept of refractive printing, with stars in the background of these stickers, Topps produced a trial run of Mylar stickers using fronts from its 1990 Traded card set. Fronts of the 2-1/2" x 3-1/2" stickers are printed on metallic foil. Backs are blank.

Complete Set (6)
    Joe Carter
    Shane Mack
    Alan Mills
    Alejandro Pena
    Gerald Perry
    Dave Winfield

imageimage

imageimage
  • Options

I worked with Gerald Perry's wife for a few months. She came down from Atlanta to fill in at my old office.
    At that time 1998, he was a coach with the Red Sox.
  • Options
    Bob - those shiny stickers are cool. Damn, I like them. I mean I really like them. Damn you Bob.....image

What's one o' them little babies set you back?
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Yes...damn you Bob! image

Kevin