Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    those are some great cards, charlie. did you say that all those posted were from your personal collection sent for grading?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Just won this one:

I don't know who the heck Pat Bourque is (Ray's brother??), but I thought the colors on this card really stood out. Plus I am been trying to get my 75 set going here with a 9 now and then.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sting
    Great card with fantastic color! Good luck on the set.

And that happens to be one of my favorite color combos from the set! I am planning to do the 64T Standup set after I finish my 63F set.

I just really like the color combo!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone,

Are all 64T standups that color combo? That is a sweet looking card. How hard will it be to find those cards (raw or graded)?

Stingray
  • Options
    Sting,

Nice pickup. I won these yesterday. Their for my set but I haven't gotten them yet.

imageimage

I also picked this up for my '59 Set:

Can't wait to get them all. I received the Alex Karras and this for my '67 Set (sorry for the nasty scan).

Scott

imageimageimageimage
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Nice Alou, also nice pose on by Strugarimage This was my last 67 that I bought before switching to 75s. Going to keep this one.

Stingray
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

<< <i>those are some great cards, charlie. did you say that all those posted were from your personal collection sent for grading? >>

Thanks for the compliment on the cards, Major. Yes, those are all from my personal collection. My dad compiled several complete sets from the 50's and a few partials. It's gonna be a long time before I run out of cards to submit. He had the sets in sheets for 20 years until a couple years ago. I'm debating whether to start sending in the Mantles and Mays's.

-Todd-
  • Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    I picked this up tonight for $300. I know it's only a 6 but beggars can't be choosers! I bought it from Bill McAvoy. If any of you haven't dealt with Bill I've found him to be a really nice guy. Also, if anyone cares to explain how to put the actual picture in your post and not a link explain away. I know it's been stated many times so my apologies in advance for not knowing how. Thanks.

Scott

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Scott, that's a *great* looking 6. Well done!
  • Options
    Thanks AJW, I appreciate the kind words. L/R centering is shaky but at the price I thought it was a really good buy. Thanks again.

Scott
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Bob
    Thanks for the compliment and thank you for posting the pic. I appreciate it.

Scott
  • Options
    Hi Scott
    That's a great card and very popular. The corners actually look really strong - when you get the card - let me know if they are actually 8s and perhaps the person asked for no qualifier?

PM sent on the posting
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>those are some great cards, charlie. did you say that all those posted were from your personal collection sent for grading? >>

Thanks for the compliment on the cards, Major. Yes, those are all from my personal collection. My dad compiled several complete sets from the 50's and a few partials. It's gonna be a long time before I run out of cards to submit. He had the sets in sheets for 20 years until a couple years ago. I'm debating whether to start sending in the Mantles and Mays's.

-Todd- >>

Todd
    As I said before - those are some great cards! You're very fortunate to have a dad who collected really great condition cards!

Can you scan a few of the Mantles? What years?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    UPS delivered a box for me today.

I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Yowzaa!!!! Mike, gorgeous stand-up. I love that set. All these cards are nice. I think I'm gonna start using UPS, though!!
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>UPS delivered a box for me today. >>

downtown
    No...two!

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Scott

That Williams does appear to have "8" attributes and is a 6 because of the centering. IMO. very sweet card. one thing about 55's some can be OC and still present well. That card certaintly fits that description.

SD

how is the set goin? i remm when you started it last yr.

Good for you.
  • Options
    << UPS delivered a box for me today. >>

Wow. What can brown do for YOU?

<< <i>Todd
    As I said before - those are some great cards! You're very fortunate to have a dad who collected really great condition cards!

mike >>

Thanks for the compliments on the cards Mike. I'll scan some cards tomorrow on the wife's scanner and post the pics...I'll wake her up if I try it tonight. On my desk here, I've got the following Mantles: 53 Topps, 54 Bowman, 55 Bowman, 56 Topps. They got a little more handling than the ones I had graded, but aren't bad at all.

-Todd-
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    The UPS driver gets a 10. Did that delivery come with a lap dance?
  • Options

From the auction description:
    Ty Cobb wearing his "Tokyo" uniform on his good-will trip to Japan in 1928. Cobb taught baseball techniques to eager Japanese baseball players, including these two student baseball players from Waseda University. The Waseda student on the right is Shoichiro Tase, who would later go on to pitch for the All Yokohama team against the 1931 US Major League All-American tour team. Tase pitched surprisingly well against the American greats, like Mickey Cochrane, Al Simmons, Frankie Frisch, Lefty O'Doul, etc.), losing by the score of 3 to 2 on November 29, 1931.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I love it. I'm jealous.

Oh yeah, the chick with the brown shorts riding up her butt is cute too.
  • Options
    << Todd

mike >>

Here you go Mike. No 8's in this bunch, but they're all keepers:

'53 Topps

'54 Bowman (Smudges are on the holder, not the card)

'55 Bowman Mantle

'56 Topps Mantle (Again holder is a little scratched, dirty)

I've been a little reluctant to send any of these in due to sentimental value and the odd chance of them getting lost in the mail. I'll probably send these and a few more in before the end of the year.

-Todd-
  • Options
    Very nice collection Todd!!!

I would be proud if my dad gave those cards!

And, getting them graded is a personal thing - me? I don't know? They would be easier to display in a holder tho.

thanx for taking the time to share
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

your cards all are in nice ex......to ex/mnt shape. the bowman though is OC but still presents very nice!

the card i have posted I too have had since i was 12 yrs old, one of only a few that survived my childhood.

I remm having thousands of cards from 1953 thru 1967. do not remm any 52 's though.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some great looking Mantle cards! Screw the wear and tear on them, they are Mantles!

Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Thanks for the compliments on the cards, guys. Nice '53 Bowman Color Steve...At least Ex on a '53 Mantle seems nice to me! Dad actually had a '52 Bowman and a Dan Dee Mantle too, but he traded them for some '81 Topps and Fleer cases back in '81. Yikes! He's still got the 81's. LOL

-Todd-
  • Options
    Gorgeous cards. The centering on that '54 Bowman looks perfect too, great "eye-appeal" as it is called... very nice collection.
  • Options
    awesome stuff guys, thanks for sharing

brian
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Cool - pic after pic of Mantle - here's my addition; got this probably within the last month. My '56 set is raw except for the stars which I am collecting in PSA 6 for authenticity and condition. Centering doesn't bother me as much as corners, so this card fits perfectly into my set:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>Scott

That Williams does appear to have "8" attributes and is a 6 because of the centering. IMO. very sweet card. one thing about 55's some can be OC and still present well. That card certaintly fits that description.

SD

how is the set goin? i remm when you started it last yr. >>

Hi Steve
    Set is going well. I'm at about 89% with the big stars and some high numbers to go (along with #8 Hal Smith which I can't find anywhere and never see on ebay). I've really enjoyed this set and I imagine it will be awhile before I complete it since I have some pricey cards left, however the one thing that's really great about this set is that other than the Clemente there's not a card(s) that cost an arm and a leg. I can't wait to get this card in the mail. There's something about owning a Williams card!

Regards,

Scott
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's three recent eBay pick-ups:

And here's three more raw beauties I just picked up from my favorite shop. I'm going up to the National this week and will join PSA -- will submit the Koufax and Aaron as part of my first submission...Hope to meet some of you up there! -- Andy

1960 Topps #148 Carl Yastrzemski RC

1965 Topps #300 Sandy Koufax

1957 Topps #20 Hank Aaron
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Paleo - nice cards; good luck on the raw. That Koufax looks particularly nice and I wouldn't expect the rough cut on that Aaron to substantially hurt it. Looks like two 7s and an 8, IMHO.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Mark
    Nice Mantle - I accidentally passed on one like that - still kicking myself.

Paleo
    Incredible cards! You win the lottery!!!LOL

That 57T Aaron is sweet. I would like to know how you do if you submit it.

Thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Here's one that showed up this weekend. Only three of these 9's and no tens. Looks tilted in scan, but it isn't.
  • Options
    Nice card Twins

I like the 71s - black borders look great when seen in that kind of condition!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

Man, some great vintage cards guys! Here is what I just picked up!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Nice card, Soft. image
  • Options
    very nice dan, i was thinking about doin that set too. I guess Ill hold off for a while longer.

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve, the higher pop 8's I have picked up at nice prices. I am working the set slowly and feeding on the cheaper WELL centered high pop 8's at the moment image

• Options
    Hi Guys
    These just came in today - I am officially at 50%!!

Overall, I'm very happy and I got them at a good price to boot!

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    great cards mike - awesome centering!
  • Options

<< <i>great cards mike - awesome centering! >>

Thanx Brian
    I got them from sandiegowill - one of my most expensive lots at 85% SMR - but worth it - as you said, because of the centering.

Now, I probably won't buy another for 8 months!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Nice cards, Mike. The centering looks perfect. Is your set on the registry?
  • Options

<< <i>Nice cards, Mike. The centering looks perfect. Is your set on the registry? >>

No Mac
    I am forbidden by the Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler and Imperial Wizard to participate.

Mike
  • Options
    Hmmmmm. Intriguing. I'd ask you what that's all about, but then, after you told me, you'd probably have to kill my cat. If I knew how to do it, I'd create an underground, unauthorized, resistance set registry. Excuse me, someone just broke down my door.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Here's the latest addition to my collection. It was worth the 20 minutes it took me to get through the packaging!

• Options
    not worth a lot, but an auto'ed card from the nicest set is still worth something...

• Options
    Brian, very nice indeed.

Mike great P/u on the 63 fleers. congrats on getting to 50 percent!!

robert and nearmint nice p/u as well

thanks for showing us u guys.

sd
    Good for you.