Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>Not in the mail yet. Just bought this Crane's Disc 76 FB set for $20 delivered.
    PSA grades these yes? >>

They sure do. They're tallboy submissions; too big for the standard holder. But before you invest too much in grading the whole set at $12+ per disc, be aware that even PSA 10 Buckmans barely fetch the cost of grading, at least on the baseball side. FB might be much different, certainly for that first-year Payton.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's one o' them little babies set you back? >>

Mark,

Set cost me $400. Books at $250. I'm not sure what singles would go for since I've never seen one for sale.

Damned Bob image
  • Options
    finally got the card ive been wanting for awhile...

i upgraded this card from a really badly off centered psa 6 to this one. This one has a slighly faded background (the orange isnt as vibrant), but it's a lot better centered and has psa 7 corners and edges.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    What's the going price for the Aaron, Major?

Excellent example of a 6 and I'm sure many including me would like one.

One like it will be on my shelf eventually.
  • Options
    Major Danby - How can you tell it's PSA 7 corners? Is that your opinion or does PSA provide this info? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Nice cards in the thread...

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>What's the going price for the Aaron, Major? >>

I got it for $835 off ebay. I lucked out because there were 2 other psa 6 aaron's up on ebay at the same time. So, i got this relatively cheaper (the other aaron was REALLY off centered and it went for $750...and third aaron was centered very well and had a more vibrant orange...it went for over $1,000). It's amazing how 54 aaron's have gone up in price over the past few months. I've been monitoring aaron's on ebay over the past year and sometime in February was when the prices started to spike upward. I bought a PSA 6 aaron back in october for $725. I monitored other sales and a lot of the aaron 6's went as low as $650 to as high as $900. Nowadays, if there is a nicely centered PSA 6 aaron, i guarantee it would go over $1000. I sold my psa 6 aaron a few months ago because it was too off-centered. It sold for $750. The aaron rookie is difficult to buy at a good condition for significantly below SMR. You have to buy an off centered version to get the price below SMR. My advice is to continue to monitor the market for aaron rookies. A member of this forum, Lothar, bought a VERY NICE PSA 7 Aaaron a year or so ago for $1200. I guarantee you that the same card would go for $300-$400 more today. I was in a bidding war a few months ago for a very nice looking PSA 5 Aaron. I bid the price up to $725, thinking that no one would pay that above SMR. Someone got the card for $735. Basically, if the card is in good condition and is reasonably centered, expect to pay at or above SMR.

<< <i>Major Danby - How can you tell it's PSA 7 corners? Is that your opinion or does PSA provide this info? Just curious. Thanks in advance. >>

Just my opinion. I used a loupe and compared its corners to another PSA 7 card from the 54 topps series. They appear very similar.

The card goes down to a PSA 6 because of the slight fading in the orange background and Aaron's name in the front of the card is slightly out of focus.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>What's one o' them little babies set you back? >>

Mark,

Set cost me $400. Books at $250. I'm not sure what singles would go for since I've never seen one for sale.

Damned Bob image >>

Bob
    I've never them before...interesting player selection...did you pick it up on ebay? For the modern guys, this is an important set - the forerunner to all the shiny stuff....I like it!

thanx for sharing!

MD
    Very nice Aaron! Congratulations.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭

These were ALL in my mailbox today. Needless to say, I was a happy guy. 3 separate packages, total cost to my door < $80!!!!
  • Options
    Mud
    Great lot! And less than 80$ - even better!

The Podres is sweeet!!

thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mr. Rothstein

I can always count on you to post a response. Podres shipped = $11.25.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>...did you pick it up on ebay? For the modern guys, this is an important set - the forerunner to all the shiny stuff....I like it! >>

Mike,
    Bought it privately from a dealer. I've never seen one for sale on eBay (looking for a few years). I agree with your take on the sets importance. Topps was practicing with refractor technology three years before jumping in completely with the '93 Finest set.
    Bob

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS ON PICKING UP THE 2004-2005 MUDFLAP AWARD!!!
  • Options

Edited to make pic smaller.
  • Options
    My new craze.
    image[/IMG]

couple 53's

Nice Mathews Brum! Did you submit it yourself? Ballpoints are so much better.

• Options
    Nice Mathews Brum! Did you submit it yourself? Ballpoints are so much better.

The Mathews had been in REA and got looked over and ended at $900. Scott Gaynor had it up on eBay a couple of weeks ago and I got a second chance at it, though it cost me an extra $400 over the REA price. I was happily surprised to get it at $1300, I expected it to end higher. I think the Nationals coming might have been a factor for some bidders.

Nice '53s, were they from eBay? I had been working on that set autographed but gave up at 174/274. I never found a Slaughter to my liking, that's a nice one you got there. I agree, ballpoints and fountain pens look much nicer on vintage cards.

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed at collectors that put together serious efforts at completing autographed vintage sets. There are some guys on the Network 54 board that are working on autographed T206 sets. That's just amazing. My hat's off to you guys. Thanks for sharing your new additions...
  • Options
    Hopefully, this card'll go up in value.
  • Options
    Brum,
    The Slaughter is pretty rough and well rounded, creased as well. Got it on Ebay for $10. I was a little suprised but his auto. is definetly not hard to come by. I hope to have it slabbed as well.
    ben

• Options
    Brum
    Sweet Matthews card!

Ben
    Very nice autos! Also, I am of the belief that everyone should consider a preWWII collection of some kind for the experience.

Here's my favorite auto 53T card - I picked up a small lot years ago - was considering a set till I did the math!! The nice thing about the 53s is that there is a perfect exemplar auto on the back to compare!

thanx for viewing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Ben, the Slaughter came up frequently, I just never saw one in ballpoint, all sharpies. Mize was the same way, only once or twice did a '53 Mize show up that was not in sharpie.

Stone, nice Newhouser. He always signed that card up his leg, only the one in the Robert Edwards Auction (REA) was signed to the left of him, but still at that same angle. I have heard stories of how he refused to sign when he was a player, even shoving kids to the ground that requested autographs. I was able to pick one up in ballpoint as well, though lighter than the one that you have.

• Options
    FTMF

A joke from another non-baseball card related board that will not be appreciated here.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    I haven't received this in the mail yet since I won it just yesterday but thought I would share anyway..

It's a old autograph book signed by the New York Rangers and Montreal Maroons's tryouts sometime during the 1930's

The signatures from the Maroons are: Bruno Haas, Joe Balla, Hugh Gustason.
    The New York tryouts are Babe Pratt, Segive Daluilr, Bert Gardiner, and the Rangers are Murray Murdock, Bun Cook, Bill Cook, Alex Levinsky, James Lorom, John Kisy, and Pete Merat.

Also included is a photgraph of some parachuter named Charlie Collins from 1933. *shrug*
  • Options
    Knucks
    Very cool item. Did any of the NY Ranger guys that tried out become decent players? I would guess no HOF'ers or the things would be a major find!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Great score, Knuckles! (Three HoFers, I believe, and at least two regular NHLers, Stone.) Are you going to turn those into cards?
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks image

3 HOF'ers, yup.

Babe Pratt:
    A great high-scoring defencman

Bill Cook:
    Considered by many to be the greatest right winger ever to play the game, a catalyst on the New York Rangers famous Bread Line with his brother Bun and Frank Boucher.

Bun Cook:
    He wasn't a high scorer like his brother but was a fan favorite for giving it his all each game.. He was credited with introducing and perfecting the drop pass..

I mostly wanted this item for the two Cook autographs.. I may put them on the same card togeather.. be nice if I could find a Boucher autograph and make a 'Bread Line' card. I'll have to wait and see, once I have the book in hand I'll make the decision.
  • Options
    Knucks
    3 HOF'ers! That's serious!

Congratulations...who's Boucher and what's the breadline card? Sounds major.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

Frank Boucher was a brilliant playmaker. He played at center in-between the two Cook's. People nicknamed this line-up of Boucher, Bun and Bill Cook the 'Bread Line'.

There's modern hockey cards being made of famous/productive lines such as the bread line.

Here's an example of one. These three players when on the ice together were called the 'Kid Line II'

If I could obtain a Boucher autograph and make a card using the three autographs it would be pretty special.. 'Bread Line' would be on the front of the card.
  • Options
    Thanx Knucks
    As you can tell - I know very little about hockey.

I thought this would be a good place to show something I found in a box - years ago, a guy must have torn this out of a magazine - perhaps at the ballgame?

And the incentive to eating there was the proximity to two really great ballparks!

A little checking and I found:

Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig were regulars at the steak house early on, Joe DiMaggio followed, and Mickey Mantle came in the early 1950s. The restaurant even became a mecca for sports writers and for out-of-town ball players when they came to compete against city teams

The fact that the Polo Grounds doesn't exist anymore makes this a cool piece of history. I have never been to the Pologrounds - before they build Yankee stadium in the Bronx, the played there for a while and the Mets played there one year before they built/completed Shea Stadium in Queens.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Cool piece of history/story there Mike. image
  • Options
    <<fs
    I was a big Karras fan way back when - he was cool on TV. Doing the set?>>

Mike,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I am working on the '59 set and it's coming along slowly but surely. Picked this one up from 4SC, can't wait 'till this one arrives. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Here a couple cards I got. Haven't arrived yet back I can't wait until they do!

1964 topps Ven.
    imageText[L=Text]">
    1967 Topps ven.
    image [L=Text][/IMG]
    1967 Topps ven.
  • Options
    My bad I messed that all up
    1964 topps Ven
  • Options

Taken in Cooperstown, July 1959.

Left to Right: Home Run Baker, Ty Cobb, Zach Wheat, Frank Frisch, Joe McCarthy, George Sisler, Pie Traynor.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    OK, all the stuff in this thread is great, but that photo takes the prize.

I love vintage photography. The autograph makes it that much more special.

You've got a gem.
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>that photo takes the prize >>

I agree. That is really neat!
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Every now and then you get something that is better than the condition stated.

The seller called this 1963 Ringo NM and IMO it is a solid 8 NM-MT. I am quite pleased and I love this 63 set.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

Recent acquisition . . .
  • Options
    Twins
    Nice pick up on the Vens - hard to find in good condition!

Brum
    To say I like the pic is an understatement!!! If that were signed by all the people, it would be off the chart!

Zef
    Nice pickup...good luck on the grade.

NJ
    Very nice 9 - I want to say I remember him being an All-american around 64?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Zef, nice Ringo, from one of my alltime favorite FB sets.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Picked this up today along with Wilhelm, Bunning and finally matty alou.

sd
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bought this a few days ago. Hopefully the auto on the brochure shows up better in person-looks like ball point.

• Options
    Legends of the Field claims that this SB jersey patch is authentic and not a knock off. Should be in the mail in a days. Also picked up this year's SB fan package that was given to those who attended the game. And an unused workers pass for the 1979 Eagles season.

and a nice SGC '59 for my set that will cross over to a PSA holder someday

• Options
    Nice Koufax Steve
    I'll bet that even looks better in person!

Keith
    Are you a Superbowl collector? I like the "kits" they give the people. I know there are people who just collect the cushions they give out. Very collectable and functional!

thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options

Mike -

Just fell across these items while I was cruising Ebay.

I'm trying to collect a balance of baseball and football when it comes to memorabilia. Who know where it will lead?

The SB package appealed of course because the Eagles were in last years SB.

Keith
  • Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭
    I just got these back from a recent submission...The 56's were part of my dad's collection when he was a kid. Some day I'll have to get serious about working on that set.

Great turnaround on this order, btw. Mailed the cards on a Saturday and had my grades the following Tuesday. I was happy with all the grades, but thrilled to finally have an Ozzie Rookie that I can live with for my set.

-Todd-

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

LOL...After all those beauties you comment on the Ozzie. Nice cards all around!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    charliehustle14charliehustle14 Posts: 425 ✭✭✭

<< <i>LOL...After all those beauties you comment on the Ozzie. Nice cards all around! >>

Yeah I know it's not the pick of the bunch...I "lost" that card when I moved a few months back and was really happy about finding it.
  • Options
    Wow Charlie
    That's an incredible bunch! They look great! I wish my dad had nice cards like that!

Dan
    You new area of nonsport - great set. Used to see a lot of unopened packs in the early 90s - don't see them anymo.

Good luck on the set.

thanx for sharing guys
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Awesome stuff guys!

<< <i>So what has the mailman blessed you with? >>

Here's what I got today image

Okay, no more smartass...

I picked up a PSA 8 McBean - tough low pop card. My 7 actually has nicer color, but centering is much better on the 8.

• Options
    Very nice Brian
    It just goes to show how we do that delicate balancing act between the desire for centering, grade and other factors that make a card great.

mike
    Mike