Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Got a few today.

1971 Barratt Famous Sportsmen Pele

And this baby ... pop 5 with none higher. imageimageimage

1928 Churchman Men of the Moment in Sport Jack Dempsey

Arthur
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    bump to get the new page to reload.
  • lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    and again

• Figured I would do a test trial of PSA/DNA Baseball Grading. Here is a Mike Napoli of the Angels autograph that I go back recently. Not a big name star but figured I'd take advantage of the "Rookie Ball" designation to see what it is all about.

Came with a Letter of Grading and Authenticity also. Kind of cool. I might send a few more from time to time. It is fairly expensive to do, so I won't be doing it as a collection or project. Just something to do between $5 grading specials image
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Arthur, that Pele is one of my favourite cards! Here's mine - I think it probably appears much earlier in this thread...

• wow, those Pele cards look identical - excepting that one's in a PSA holder - Arthur I believe you have a shot at an 8 there, my friend.
    Rich
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Had to settle on a hacked version;

• ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Couple of F.Robbys and L.Tiants that I picked up over the last few days.....

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scott

Those 41s are sweet! Aren't you working on another graded set?

Josh

Thanx for sharing the Vene's! I like the fact that you post a very unusual printing of the Topps set. Without guys like you - we wouldn't have this kind of variety to view. Thanx!

David

That T3 is absolutely stunning! Color me chartreuse with envy! I could only hope to find one that nice when I'm ready. If ya ever get tired of it? Send it on sabbatical to Stone's home. image Thanx.

Cuda

That's an extremely nice Clemente 6 - looks way better than the grade and the Yogi is a sweet looking 7.
    I can't remember - are you doing an HOF set?

Arthur

That 32 Phillips Dempsey is so ugly is beautiful! It's got the oddball look of the strip card art. You may be collecting one of the best collections of boxers we have ever seen here. Thanx!

Sting

Keep'm comin! So what's the % now? As I said - there's nothing sweeter than great looking black border cards. Thanx

mike
    Mike
    FDN

Hacked or not - it's Joe - and I like it. You are a true collector - you collect great vintage stuff - for what I believe is the shear fun of collecting - you get all my respect for that. Thanx for sharing.

Arnie

That 73T Tiant is fantastic. There's nothing nicer than a 73T like that one - thanx for sharing.

mike
    Mike
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    1937 dixie premium, not from the mail but picked it up at a show today

• HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    WoW. Too much awesome stuff to comment on all. I enjoy catching up with this thread and see stuff I've never seen before and probably will never see again.

I picked up an addition to my Senators/Twins type set this afternoon -- a 1941 PlayBall. Oh yeah, the blue dot is the the ball he just pitched. image But seriously, it's a sticker the owner uses to grade his cards. The light blue represents "VG"...

• GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Arthur,

Really nice Pele, and even nicer Dempsey !

Here is some stuff that arrived the past few days...

First, from a fellow board member...

This one was pretty tough to come across...

71 clinic postcard that will be heading to PSA for grading...

Signed Whitey postcard...

Two Yankee stadium linen postcards, one from the 40's, one from the 50's. Both postally unused....

Monte Irvin signed Perez-Steele....
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Bucky, was just was able to keep his batting average over the Mendoza Line during his seventeen year big league career.

So with a lifetime 17-year batting average in the majors of only .225, his performance behind the plate, kept him in the game, year after year! I'm sure Bucky was a team leader, on and off the field.

Anyway, I've been looking for a PSA 10, for quite a while and found this one:

rd

edit: P.S. dgofwinter, again and again! You just keep coming up with the goods for me! Thanks!

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff all around!

Bri very nice indeed.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    I would most likely have to post naked women to get noticed after bri's Munsons and anything rd has in his '76 set, but here goes.

I just started a Bill Mazeroski base set and picked up these two very recently.

I love this thread.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Big mail day today. As you can see I'm all over the place in regard to years and sports.

Some Emmitt Smith wacko down in FL sent these to me because he's such a good guy (that and I have pictures of him in a compromising position that I'm blackmailing him with image)

Tom Brady

These came from a fellow board member as well. I'm not a basketball collector but I am a huge Celts fan so these will be enjoyed. Thanks again RemynSkyler image

1981 Topps Basketball Bird, McHale, Ford

Got my first graded Wills today so I can officially start my set registry. Now I just need a pre-war special image

1930 Wills Famous Golfers C.O. Hezlet

This is just really cool and I couldn't pass it up. I think it was distributed in magazines but I'm not sure. It's got Joe Louis and Jimmy Braddock in it.

1936 Famous Fighters In Action Fold-Out book

Believe it or not, the centering on this Kiddy's Popular Boxers Joe Louis is actually pretty good. These cards are absolutely BRUTAL to find well-centered and with clean edges and corners.

1950 Kiddy's Popular Boxers Joe Louis

These are uncut doubles from the 1922 Comic Life Sports Champions set. I bought them for the Dempsey (shown) and Carpentier (not shown) and was pleasantly surprised to find that the Dempsey was the best condition card out of the four. The centering is pretty darn good and there are zero wrinkles or creases in the glossy durface. Plus, this would be the RC year for both Dempsey and Carpentier for cards so I'm very excited about that. Unfortunately, the Carpentier has a gigantor crease running through it but with the condition of ther Jack Dempsey I have nothing to complain about. image

1922 Comic Life Sports Champions Jack Dempsey RC

Arthur
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some Emmitt Smith wacko down in FL sent these to me because he's such a good guy (that and I have pictures of him in a compromising position that I'm blackmailing him with ) >>

• Picked up a PSA Cert. 1961 Fleer autographed by Hal Newhouser and a PSA Auth. Perez-Steele signed by Rick Ferrell....
    Check out our great selection of sports memorabilia and autographs www.dssports.ca

Check out my ebay auctions!
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdssportscdaQQhtZ-1
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just started a Bill Mazeroski base set and picked up these two very recently. >>

Those are sweet. I'll be looking to pick up my own example of the '67 before too long.
  • push
    pump
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple of many to come, I hope!!

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Welcome aboard the '84 Donruss train Stingray! image

Here are a couple that I had received as upgrades that I don't believe I posted before...

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Nice cards. The '84 Donruss set is like the Middle East, whether you like it or not at some point everyone's going to have to take a stab at getting it done and in good condition. It'll be a long, drawn out effort with great financial costs but if you succeed it'll be worth it and the world will be a better place. (okay, maybe the "world a better place" correlation was a stretch image)

I feel my time is coming. I just hope the golf/boxing can keep me distracted long enough.

Arthur
    Forgot about this one:
    Need to rescan when I get it.
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    A couple of my favorites so far from my bowman quest. ashburn high # rookie and a tough last card in the set, he is a yankee but I won't hold it against him.

imageimage
  • Wow, beautiful Bowmans! Congrats on those!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards

• << <i>Wow, beautiful Bowmans! Congrats on those! >>

i agree those look amazingimage
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
    Just won:
    imageimage

<< <i>Just won:
    imageimage >>

Nice cards Stingray. I remember freaking out when I was a kid trying to get Kittle's 83 Fleeer rc. He was gonna be great, or so we all thought image

matt
  • I like the '84 Donruss set. I always thought the set was very clean.

Here is my second T3 HOF that I just received. It looks great next to the Lajoie.

David

I picked this up on person the other day as well

<< <i>I picked this up on person the other day as well >>

what person were you on??image
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I picked this up on person the other day as well >>

what person were you on??image >>

He was on top of Mr. Mint, giving him a good beat down after hitting on his woman image
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

Wow this thread was 3 pages back!!

Anyway, here is my first PSA 10:

Did you buy that 10 or submit yourself?

I told Mr. Mint anything you want to do to her, I am going to do to you first! image
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    here's another that I didn't think I scanned yet

Wow! Thanx for sharing guys - this is incredible stuff.

RM

Superb Dixie premiums! thanx.

pCollector

Those are some mighty sweet Bowmans! Wow - thanx for sharing those. The McGraw T3 is a beauty and looks better than a 4 to me!

Bri

The 71 Clinic PC of Munson - that's a real auto or fax? If real - wow! Good luck with the grading.

rd

Very impressive - your 76T set gets better by the minute!

Arch

I know what you mean about a tuff act to follow. Those are some nice Maz cards! Good luck on the set.

Arthur

The famous fighters fold out is really a nice item - I've never seen it before. It's amazing how much stuff is out there!

And, in general, your contributions of fighters has been invaluable - I've thoroughly enjoyed them. Thanx for coming on board and filling a void in my appreciation of cards.

This has been the best. There's others to comment on - I'll get back.
    mike
    Mike
  • Brian

I love that Munson postcard. He was one of my favorite players growing up. I was surrounded by Red Sox fans as a child. However, I liked the way Munson played. He was the reason why I became a Yankee fan.

David
  • packcollector: Those are great looking Bowmans.
  • ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Well, it seems that I'm back on the Willie Mays track. Here are my three latest. The Stand Up has long been on the top of my list, and this is a great example. A small wrinkle from the top of his head to the card's border killed the grade, but I love it! The Kellogg's has also been high on my list for a while. The Bowman was a new addition to my wish list, but the more I looked at the card, the more I liked it. I hope you like all of them...

Another 85:

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    My first 10image

And an 8 that has none higher.

With these two cards my set is completed and will be retired by the end of the year. I'm waiting for the Duke to sell his off and then i will begin selling mine. I will of course entertain offers from board members first. It has been fun but, I would prefer a nice ex/mnt set in a binder. Once this set is sold that is what i will proly do.

Steve

edited to add: AJW nice looking cards! outstanding!
    Good for you.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Steve. I like the 65 set. Mine is like the one you are considering, ungraded in a binder. Easier to enjoy that way
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭
    Stingray, that Lambert is great.

My intention originally was to get PSA 7s and 8s for this set, but I can use the 6 for my raw '61 set, and it was a two card lot. My max bid was what I would pay for a raw EXMT '61 Maz, so I am pretty happy. I don't think I'll be upgrading the '58 any time soon. It is not in my budget yet. It is just a little bonus.

Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
    Wow!!!!!!

Steve

2 10s! Tremendous. Great addition to your set upgrade - congratulations.

mike
    Mike