Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    page turn
  • Options
    Stown, for some reason the first three posts of a new page haven't been showing up until someone makes a fourth post. Don't ask, I have no idea. image

Arthur
  • Options
    Yeah, that's exactly what was going on. Even after hitting refresh, closing the window, etc. it wouldn't show up.

Oops image
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a tilt, stellar otherwise.

• Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Just checking in; this is an impossible thread to catch up on, but there's always something good to see. That's an awesome Gibby.

This just in - I'm not a fan of matchbooks, but I am a fan of Ol' Diz - this one is from 1937 and the pose reminds me of the Goudeys:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff guys! Stown very nice Sain. love that centering. true ex/mnt card.

steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    great stuff fellas @!

Arthur, real nice boxing and golf assortment. I love what youve been picking up lately !

Stown, nice Sain...looks great for the grade.

GDM67, thats a sweet looking Gibson !

Mark...real nice Dizzy item, Ive never seen anything like that before image

rd...what can I say ? Youve conquered the 76's and well on your way to a primo 78 set, nice pickups !!
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    This just arrived from Mastro:

When I won it, I was debating whether or not to have it crossed over to PSA/DNA so that I could include it in my set registry. Now that it's here, I'm debating whether or not to cross the rest of my PSA/DNA autograps over to SGC/JSA due to my increased unhappiness with PSA. Funny how a few weeks can change things.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    My first Tobacco card:

1910 T218 Unk Russell, Im starting to like these old boxing cards! These and the T220 are very cheap and look awsome IMHO.

My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    Props to jay at qualitycards dot com for the Sain. Very prompt service, well packaged, and a pleasure to deal with.

Hope I get a future discount for that little plug image

/spam image
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Haven't posted in a while, but this one is just back from SGC, tied for the highest graded by them.

• Options
    Tom, that Dickey is outrageous. It looks much better than the grade. Do you plan on crossing it over to PSA ?
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    No, it will stay in the SGC holder. I don't like the mylar insert that PSA uses for this issue. Besides, I like the B&W photo with the black insert of the SGC holder.
  • Options
    I dont blame you. It does present very nicely in the SGC holder ( am I allowed to say that on here ? )
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    That is indeed a sharp looking card. Nice pick-up!

<< <i>Haven't posted in a while, but this one is just back from SGC, tied for the highest graded by them.

image >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Haven't posted in a while, but this one is just back from SGC, tied for the highest graded by them.

image >>

edit: I just admired your card soooooooooooooooo much, I wanted to post it again! image

rd
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    Two significant incomings in my collection:

2001 Topps Heritage Fernando Vina bat - this leaves me with only one card needed to completely finish up 2001-2006 Topps Heritage relics (excluding dual relics and autographed relics)

Also picked up another Butler for the registry

Geordie

• Options

<< <i>I dont blame you. It does present very nicely in the SGC holder ( am I allowed to say that on here ? ) >>

Of course you can say that. If PSA doesn't know where their competition is better, we can't get on them for not improving.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When I won it, I was debating whether or not to have it crossed over to PSA/DNA so that I could include it in my set registry. Now that it's here, I'm debating whether or not to cross the rest of my PSA/DNA autograps over to SGC/JSA due to my increased unhappiness with PSA. Funny how a few weeks can change things. >>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Here are the lastest addtitions to my 55 "Dem Bums" Autographed team set. I am about half way through if anyone could help. It has been a TOUGH road!

• Options
    My thread wont show up! I think the thread is too long or has too many pics to load properly...it was a good run!
  • Options
    That is a beautiful card tkd. I completely agree with you on the no mylar choice. Congratulations on that pick up!

Bigfische, welcome to the club. I started my boxing endeavor with a T218 Jack Johnson and it's been all down hill since! image I agree that those cards are truly beautiful. Finding those in good shape with those bright colors really makes it hard to get away from them. Enjoy the boxing cards, I know I do. image

Arthur
  • Options
    ok my pics are up!
  • Options
    Mass,
    Those Dodger cards are great. I'm always impressed at vintage auto cards. How many more to go?
  • Options
    I posted this in another thread with some questions but I wanted to eternally memorialize this pick-up in my favorite thread. image

Uncut strip of 1921 W551 Hand Cut cards with Jack Dempsey and Georges Carpentier

Arthur
  • Options

Great cards image
  • Options
    Nice strip Xan man!

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>Mass,
    Those Dodger cards are great. I'm always impressed at vintage auto cards. How many more to go? >>

8 more image
  • Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just purchased:

imageimage

The Hooton card is one of my favs, so far, of any of the action shots I have seen on the 84 Donruss set.

Only 655+ more to go!!image >>

Hey if anyone wants John Steferos Auto, I can get it, I see him regulary. Got a great laugh when I saw his 84 Donruss, I had no idea he actually had a card issued.

RobBob
    Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    Its a little rough, but ive always wanted this card so i picked one up

imagey
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

<< <i>2 Newbies! (Thanks to a fellow set collector!)

rd

image >>

rd, I'm actually very curious.....if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for each of these? I have a Rose that I think has a shot at a 10 and I was curious what they sell for. On the same note, I've been wanting a Murray in a 9 and was curious about that as well! Thanks and great cards!

- Joe
  • Options
    Just got the card in this scan back from PSA yesterday.

To say I'm proud of it is an understatement. Not because it's a 1986 Topps Nolan Ryan Mini with Ryan's signature in faded ballpoint, but because I stumbled across that card raw in my closet a couple months ago. I cannot believe that I simple forgot about it all these years. See, Ryan is my absolute FAVORITE player. All I could think of is that I must've sent it to him blindly before I developed my man-crush on him. Back then, I often sent cards to players care of their teams to get signed. It came back and I filed it away, not to be seen again for almost 20 years.

We all know that a lot of players have someone else sign their fan mail or use autopens, and I really wanted to get an expert opinion on whether or not Ryan actually signed the card. So, I sent it to PSA and ... "authentic." I can't tell you how excited I was when I received that e-mail. And then to have the card back, all slabbed up. Yay! Just to think that Nolan Ryan took even ten seconds out of his busy life to read the letter I sent him when I was barely 12 and to sign that card gives me goosebumps.

Moments... man, that's what card collecting is all about.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>2 Newbies! (Thanks to a fellow set collector!)

rd

image >>

rd, I'm actually very curious.....if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for each of these? I have a Rose that I think has a shot at a 10 and I was curious what they sell for. On the same note, I've been wanting a Murray in a 9 and was curious about that as well! Thanks and great cards!

- Joe >>

Joe, $195 for Rose, $200 Murray!

rd

• Options
    imageCouldn't resist popped the piggy bank open on this one.. a bargain. Sweet Rookie Card. I started out a few months ago with a consignment of a collectors estate of 1,000 30's-60's BB plus another 20,000 80's commons and I end up buying a high end card... Looks like I'm hooked... A big change form the 50's when I had Mickey and Joe (actually held those out and used Roger Maris) in the Spokes of a Schwinn Coil Spring balloon tire bicycle. Yaterbobimage
  • Options
    Mosaic, congrats! image

That's great and it's even better that you got it on your own with a letter than just buying it. Welcome to the boards. Now you have to post scans of all your other finds. image

Yaterbob, that goes for you, too. image Great Mays RC. I'm very jealous. Keep 'em coming!

Arthur
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    1 of 3, I believe:

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    This is one of my favorite cards of one of my favorite players, I finally picked it up today in Mint condition.

• Options
    page turn ?

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys! I Havn't posted in while...been very busy with work and family....here are a few of my recent additions.

Everytime I feel old..I can just look at this Tittle card and realize that I could look worse at age 35! He looks old enough to be my Dad on this card.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As usual, I've enjoyed the presentations!

BigDaddy

That 54B Tom Fears - sans the faceguard - is way too cool.

Helmets in the 50s look so different from those of today.

To everyone
    Thanx!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Props on the Doak Walker. That's one fine looking card image
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    Stone-

A buddy of mine once asked me why I collect the "old cards of guys I never saw play? Why not collect the guys from the 1970's and 80's that I saw play as a child?"

Besides the love of history and specifically the love of the history of pro football...the Fears card is a great example of why I collect vintage...the charm of the pictures....no facemasks, the white football, cool poses....goofy descrciptions on the back......gotta love those 40-50's football cards.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    All the Bowmans are great. Love that made-for-night-games white ball.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

tennesseebanker -- I really think that Bench card is one of the all-time greats. Very nice pick-up.

• Options
    Thanks "El"

Being a long time Bench fan I cant believe I havent got one before now. I have several raw copies but nothing close to this gradewise.

To me Johnny looks like he just finished a gunfight in the old west and is saying Who's next ?

• Options
    BigDaddy,
    Nice Tank. '55 Bowman is my favorite design.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS