Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    ZEF-
    I agree...great looking 7. I also won the 1960 Layne from you as well....hopefully that will look as nice as the Bednarik.

thanks!
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Wow! Very nice Perry card. Way to go.

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Great cards!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    With the help of these cards, I've now taken over the All-Time #1 ranking in both the Basic & Master sets for the '84 Donruss set! image

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>With the help of these cards, I've now taken over the All-Time #1 ranking in both the Basic & Master sets for the '84 Donruss set! >>

image WTG!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    Thanks!

Couple more that I received today....one is for the beginning of my "Rookies of the 70's Registry" that I'm starting and the other for my Palmeiro player sets.

* '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With the help of these cards, I've now taken over the All-Time #1 ranking in both the Basic & Master sets for the '84 Donruss set! image >>

Congrats!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I just say...

I'm in graded card envy...

Some of guys are like "buying machines!"

Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    A couple more:

• Options
    I get the feeling this thread is going to be on life support until we clear the holidays so everyone should feel free to jump in with stuff they find in their closets or something just to keep this thread on the pages. image

Picked up my first Leaf. Anybody know how to get tape off cards? image

1948 Leaf Ray Robinson

Arthur
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Great to hear Arny!!!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I get the feeling this thread is going to be on life support until we clear the holidays so everyone should feel free to jump in with stuff they find in their closets or something just to keep this thread on the pages. image

Picked up my first Leaf. Anybody know how to get tape off cards? image

1948 Leaf Ray Robinson >>

Nice Sugar Ray, Arthur. Do you have a Jake La Motta to go with it?

"You never got me down, Ray. You never got me down."

• Options
    A couple more Magic's for my set

Dave
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Dave

I like the Mcdonalds card. I am partial to off brands and odd cards

matt
  • Options
    Matt,

thank you and i agree about oddball stuff, i just love them

btw, i wanted to congratulate Arny on his accomplishments on my prior post, just forgot

Dave
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    These arrived today. Puts me half way through the Icee set in PSA 9. Ther Berk Ross set is proving to be slow going and more expensive than I initially thought. Still having a blast with it.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>Nice Sugar Ray, Arthur. Do you have a Jake La Motta to go with it?

"You never got me down, Ray. You never got me down." >>

LOL. That's such a great movie.

Actually, I haven't picked up a single LaMotta, now that you mention it. Hmm. That's something I'll look into. Problem is I haven't seen to many of his issues other than the 3 big American releases of the late-40s and early-50s. I'll keep looking.

Halosfan, that is a really nice Berk Ross. In my experience looking for a Ray Robinson I've noticed that those can be tough to find well-centered. Congrats!

Arthur
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur that couldn't be more true. I have the Robinson double as an 8 and a single as a 7.

Nice to see another boxing card fan here.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    Halosfan, speaking of which ... image

Picked up a few more Dempseys for my registry and a Walcott.

1950 Kiddy's Popular Boxers "Jersey" Joe Walcott

1954 A & BC All Sport Series Jack Dempsey

1967 Panini Campioni Dello Sport Jack Dempsey (only 1 higher)

Arthur
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Halosfan, speaking of which ... image

Picked up a few more Dempseys for my registry and a Walcott.

1950 Kiddy's Popular Boxers "Jersey" Joe Walcott

1954 A & BC All Sport Series Jack Dempsey

1967 Panini Campioni Dello Sport Jack Dempsey (only 1 higher)

Arthur >>

I have been wondering this for a long time. Were there two different Jack Dempsys that were boxers?? That 2nd Dempsy card appears as though the boxer is from the 1800's??
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been wondering this for a long time. Were there two different Jack Dempsys that were boxers?? That 2nd Dempsy card appears as though the boxer is from the 1800's?? >>

Yes, there were two:

William Harrison "Jack" Dempsey (June 24, 1895–May 31, 1983) was an American Boxer who held the world heavyweight title between 1919 and 1926, and is widely regarded as one of the greatest champions of all time. Known as "The Manassa Mauler," Dempsey was a tremendous puncher famous for his exciting fights, many of which set financial and attendance records. His colorful personality also made him popular with the fans and media.

John Edward Kelly (December 15, 1862 – November 1, 1896), County Kildare, Ireland. Better known as Jack (Nonpareil) Dempsey, called "Nonpareil". He was a middleweight boxing champion.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options

<< <i>I have been wondering this for a long time. Were there two different Jack Dempsys that were boxers?? That 2nd Dempsy card appears as though the boxer is from the 1800's?? >>

As mikeschmidt already pointed out there were, indeed, two different Jack Dempsey boxers. Shortly after I started my Dempsey Master set I noticed that in the registry PSA had combined the two athletes despite the fact that in their SMR under the 1910 T220 set they point out that the Dempsey in that set (and all the others prior to that one) "is not the more famous Jack Dempsey of the mid-20th Century."

PSA recently updated the set to not include the Dempsey of the late-19th Century. While I admit the Panini Dempsey doesn't show any resemblance to the photo of Dempsey in the '54 A & BC Ltd. card I have noticed a large discrepancy between photos and art used for Dempsey's cards that range from spot-on to barely resembling him. Looking at the other boxers included in the '67 Panini set I'd have to believe it is the more recent, more famous Jack Dempsey that is pictured.

Arthur
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Is Sugar Ray wearing oven mitts on that card ?

• Options
    T_Bank,

That's quite astute of you to notice that. It's the '48 Betty Crocker "Pugilists in the Kitchen" set. You should see the James Braddock card; he's all set to do some cooking but he's got no food.

I'm going straight to hell for that one.

Arthur
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Wow ! where is the Racheal Ray insert card ?

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    This just arrived from Heritage:

I picked up a few other neat autographs from them that I'll scan and post later.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    schr1st, you don't strike often but when you do it is VERY impressive. Congratulations! image

Arthur
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    That is a cool Bill Russell auto. I always like seeing the signed cards you pickup.

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    A few weeks ago I picked up this piece that is in my signature line. The postmark on the back is 1906. The scan really doesn't do it justice.

It is a 3 1/2" x 16" panoramic postcard of Franklin Field in Philadelphia on the campus of my alma mater, University of Pennsylvania. It may be one of the most historic fields in the country. This shot is before the second tier was added, but it is the oldest two tiered stadium in the country and I believe the field is the oldest continuously used college football fied. It was home to the Eagles and hosted the NFL title game in 1960. It even hosted a Presidential Convention.

Even better, we played our college intramural football on this field. Someday I'll get this framed.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on your #1 Ranking Arny!
  • Options
    Very neat item.

<< <i>A few weeks ago I picked up this piece that is in my signature line. The postmark on the back is 1906. The scan really doesn't do it justice.

It is a 3 1/2" x 16" panoramic postcard of Franklin Field in Philadelphia on the campus of my alma mater, University of Pennsylvania. It may be one of the most historic fields in the country. This shot is before the second tier was added, but it is the oldest two tiered stadium in the country and I believe the field is the oldest continuously used college football fied. It was home to the Eagles and hosted the NFL title game in 1960. It even hosted a Presidential Convention.

Even better, we played our college intramural football on this field. Someday I'll get this framed. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Cool Russell item Sean.

Hard to find imo.

Wow!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    It's high time I posted with a new item!

A T3! I actually picked up two - this one first.

Hans Lobert with an Ad back.

I'm feeling good!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks. It was $250 plus BP from Heritage. I paid a lot more than that for my PSA/DNA 6 rookie of his, and was expecting to have to pay a lot more for this one.

<< <i>Cool Russell item Sean.

Hard to find imo.

Wow!
    mike >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks. It was $250 plus BP from Heritage. I paid a lot more than that for my PSA/DNA 6 rookie of his, and was expecting to have to pay a lot more for this one.

<< <i>Cool Russell item Sean.

Hard to find imo.

Wow!
    mike >>

>>

That's a good price Sean.

The only one I have is in a book and personalized - so it went cheaper - most don't like personalizations.
    But, I wanted the sig and save some money.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Here are the rest of the items from Heritage:

I thought these would be index sized cards, but they are actually card stock cut to standard card size. From the way they look, it looks like they were cut to size, then had the stamps and autographs affixed. They are PSA/DNA certified as well, and might be some of the nicer odd-ball items I've ever picked up.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I like them Sean.

Do you plan to have them framed?

I had a Perez PC Williams psa/dna card framed and really like the way it looks.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Odd-ball items make this hobby fun image

Nice stuff image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I was thinking about having them slabbed by PSA/DNA, but after my recent negative experiences with them, I'm thinking I may just keep them or sell them the way they are.

<< <i>I like them Sean.

Do you plan to have them framed?

I had a Perez PC Williams psa/dna card framed and really like the way it looks.

mike >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Autographs are terrific, man!
  • Options
    Slow transition to Edible cards;

• Options
    This baby finally arrived. I think it took the scenic route on its way here. My second Louis RC.

Arthur
  • Options
    FD

Very nice Wagner - ya gonna have it holdered? I think you have more pre-war HOF'ers than most!
    Congratulations on a nice pick up.

Arthur

Your collection of Louis cards is getting quite impressive!

Nice card - what is the set? Is it foreign? Sorry but I don't know anything about it.

Heck, I just saw my first uncirculated PSA flip today! That rock I'm living under is getting very heavy!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. I think once I feel relatively comfortable with my Dempsey Master set I may start a Joe Louis Master set. This is the first already-slabbed Louis I've picked up but I've been able to accumulate some really nice raw copies of some of his cards.

The Pattreiouex set is a series of British tobacco cards that were distributed much the same way our tobacco cards were (obviously image). There are 96 cards total in the set with something like 10 or 11 boxers. The only other notable boxer in the set is James Braddock and that card is considered his RC as well. They aren't that tough to come by, I see a couple on auction every week. Centering doesn't appear to be a problem with the set but I've noticed that many of the cards have severe scratching on the glossy surface which makes trying to "eye" the raw ones on a (more than likely) poor digital pic tough. Luckily, with a little bit of patience it isn't too hard to find copies of these cards for very reasonable prices. With many of the cards back then using drawings, paintings or caricatures instead of real photos I think these cards really stand out, especially with the glossy finish on the their surfaces.

The most popular and valuable card in the set is the Bobby Jones. The rest of the cards are widely sold at the same price although I've paid a small premium over "commons" price for the golfer Henry Cotton.

Here's the Braddock and Cotton

Arthur
  • Options

Very nice cards there, Arthur. What other sports or fields of interest are featured in that Pattreiouex set besides golf and boxing?
  • Options

<< <i>Very nice cards there, Arthur. What other sports or fields of interest are featured in that Pattreiouex set besides golf and boxing? >>

Thanks Elemenopeo. There's also cricket, football (soccer image), tennis, horse racing, ice skating, etc. As the title of the set entails there are also cards representing actual events as opposed to just particular athletes. I believe there are also cards representative of particular trophies for the sports as well, if applicable.

Arthur
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭